Trump

Started by Vekseid, February 01, 2017, 02:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Crow

Correction: "... with people (supporters) on that side ... "

Dice

Yukina

Haibane

It's not often that I really do LOL at something, but I LOL'd at this. Marvellous.

gaggedLouise

Trump making his convention acceptance speech - by definition a highly partisan speech - from the White House, and styling it as if it were halfway to a SOTU address ("My fellow Americans" etc) is wrong on so many levels.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Haibane

I've given up reading news bulletins about the convention. It all just makes me want to vomit, or punch someone, so I'm staying well away now.

I'm pinning all my hopes on 3rd November. If Trump does a Lukashenko I'd quite look forward to seeing that and having his presidency end with a bang.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Haibane on August 28, 2020, 07:39:15 AM
I've given up reading news bulletins about the convention. It all just makes me want to vomit, or punch someone, so I'm staying well away now.

I'm pinning all my hopes on 3rd November. If Trump does a Lukashenko I'd quite look forward to seeing that and having his presidency end with a bang.

Yeah, I sure hope he is soundly defeated too. Four more years with Trump would be intolerable.

Whether he loses the election or not, only a few days later the US will be conmemorating the landing of the Mayflower colonists, the Pilgrim Fathers. A traditional epoch date of US history. Trump is *never* going to miss the opportunity to preside over that and make a speech - it's with a mixture of apprehension and curiosity that I'm wondering what he will be saying, and how...

Beguile's Mistress

He'll probably try to find a way to let the world know is ancestors came over on the Mayflower.  If he hadn't made fun of Elizabeth Warren's claim to Native American ancestry he would say his ancestors were here before Columbus.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 28, 2020, 08:09:22 AM
He'll probably try to find a way to let the world know is ancestors came over on the Mayflower.  If he hadn't made fun of Elizabeth Warren's claim to Native American ancestry he would say his ancestors were here before Columbus.

As a kid I read Elizabeth Janeway's The Vikings - excellent book actually, I reread it last year, the best attempt I've seen to tell the Norse discovery of Greenland and Canada in a realistic manner. Now, one of Leif Eriksson's men was a German named Turker (he's also in the Icelandic sagas about this, I think), who gets drunk on the wine he is brewing from the wild grapes in Vinland. Maybe that guy was one of Donnie's ancestors? ;)

Beguile's Mistress

That could be true except Trump is supposed to abstain from alcohol because of his brother Fred's problem with drinking.  Still, it does leave the door open for him to claim to be of Viking descent.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 28, 2020, 08:27:46 AM
That could be true except Trump is supposed to abstain from alcohol because of his brother Fred's problem with drinking.  Still, it does leave the door open for him to claim to be of Viking descent.

And thus having a claim to Greenland too! :D

Beguile's Mistress

Didn't he offer to buy that?  Or was that Iceland?

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 28, 2020, 08:41:11 AM
Didn't he offer to buy that?  Or was that Iceland?

Greenland it was. His most recent offer was to switch it in exchange for Puerto Rico. The Danes said flatly no both times.

Beguile's Mistress

I hadn't heard about the Puerto Rico deal but knowing his xenophobia I can see why he made that attempt.

Mithlomwen

I refused to watch the GOP convention. 

Just watching some of the clips on the news this morning, one thing is abundantly clear.....

The man is delusional. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Haibane

A lot of us have come to the same conclusion.

I have never witnessed anyone less fit to hold political office, except possibly Idi Amin or Pol Pot, or indeed any position of authority anywhere, such as in a corporation.

CriminalMindsFan

I watched zero of the DNC and most of the RNC and can't wait to turn in a vote for Trump again in November. No plans to get vaccine, I wear mask where I'm asked to wear one and not for any longer than necessary. Hate that people will punch someone over a mask dispute and wish more people could just push the old Staples Easy Button when they encounter difficulty in life to help them get through it.

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

gaggedLouise

Trump turning in a really weird moment, even for him, during a rally in New Hampshire, Friday. Suddenly he is pulling this half-joke about people's butts, or asses. He even references "my own ass". ;) And with suggestive gestures too. What exactly is this even about? :) My first thought was that he meant something likre "Protesters? Up Yours!" :D - but now I'm not sure of this anymore...

And almost as concerning is the crowd reaction: they are cheering him on. Imagine any other president or presidential nominee pulling this stunt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_StKgTqyb0Y

Dice

Remember, Tan suit and feet on the desk where big fucking deals.

Obama actually did some stupid shit and Republicans were well within their rights to smack him round the head at times, but I actually wholeheartedly believe that Trumps biggest mistake is one he shares with Obama.

When Obama came into office he had promised to listen to the congressional Republicans on some issues. The Republicans were talking about after seeing the size of his crowd at his inauguration that they may be facing a generation of electoral defeats. Not joking. Then he seemed to listen to them, taking away their main weapon against him. Hard to rip down a man who is working with you honestly.

He threw that all away when he rode roughshot over them with the stimulus bill, something they had said they would meet him halfway on. They asked for tax cuts, he could have counted with infrastructure and they would have taken it and everyone would have won. But he was inexperienced and missplayed his hand. Mitch never let up after that.

Trump had the same gift. He came into office on a wave of promised change and said he would fix things. First thing he did, take the advice of a man who wanted to slash tax's on the rich and who says his greatest failure was the fact he could not gut welfare. Oh and he bugged out when the going got hard. Paul Ryan was the worst person for Trump to listen too.

Just imagine how hard this election would be to win if Trump had come in and done what he promised, really tried to make lives better for the poor white men who voted for him. Pushed drug treatment clinics in the heartland of opioid hell and actually offered a health plan that lived up to his claimed desires? What the hell would the Democrats have right now if Trump had taken the power he was given and turned it to true economic populism? Paul Ryan would still be out of a job, but there would be no fucking way Trump would lose now, even with this stupid shit he does.

BTW, that's your next issue America, a competent Trump acolyte that offers Sanders style economics with Trump style demagogic language. Because the Republican party has sold fear to their voters while offering unpopular policies using rage and fear to win votes on social issues while voting to do things that hurt their voting block. The thing that will really screw the left? Someone who sells fear to the right and popular policies to the masses. People will hold their nose and vote for an asshole to watch the Koch brothers pay taxes and for those taxes to pay school teachers.

Fox Lokison

Quote from: gaggedLouise on September 01, 2020, 08:54:36 AM
Trump turning in a really weird moment, even for him, during a rally in New Hampshire, Friday. Suddenly he is pulling this half-joke about people's butts, or asses. He even references "my own ass". ;) And with suggestive gestures too. What exactly is this even about? :) My first thought was that he meant something likre "Protesters? Up Yours!" :D - but now I'm not sure of this anymore...

And almost as concerning is the crowd reaction: they are cheering him on. Imagine any other president or presidential nominee pulling this stunt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_StKgTqyb0Y

I dodged the rally for obvious reasons, but had a friend or two that went. Apparently it was even stranger in person because his fnabase was just ALL FOR IT and they're standing there like "what is he even SAYING". Didn't matter what he said, his fans cheered. Definitely glad I missed it.

gaggedLouise

Yeah, I see your point, Dice, but I think you're blanking out some essential parts of Trump's 2016 win. In thje campaign, four of his biggest, most steadily pushed promises were to

1) build a Big Wall against Mexico, "and make Mexico pay for it" (which was widely understood as Mexico being forced to foot the construction bill)
2) get "extreme vetting" and/or a border entry ban on Muslims into the US
3) fight the news media, and expose them as a fake news machine
4) "Drain the Swamp" (aka Washington politics and the "Deep State")

All of those were completely unacceptable to most party Democrats - and to many Republicans too, if you remove the personal loyalty to Trump, now that he's president, out of the equation. Trump pushed all four hard, on all eight cylinders, from the day he came into office - and ran into deep trouble with all of them.  With 2) he finally succeeded in a watered-down way, not near as broad as he would have wanted it. The Wall has been a total failure, in terms of results - he has had about three miles of actual barrier built in places where there wasn't a barrier or a fence before, and his electioneering talk was all about selling in the idea of building walls in places where there had been none before, where as he described it you could walk right through from the south (I can't remember any time in 2016 when he even mentioned any existing barriers or fences down south...). And getting Mexico to pay has been a failure, of course.

Most people who are knowledgeable about migration would agree that a Mexico Wall is a half-baked idea, it wouldn't do the job of stopping migration, it's a waste of many billions of capital - but it's a powerful symbol to talk about. The Mexico Wall is a textbook case of selling something in an election that sounds great to your core fanbase but which proves undeliverable in reality, "too good to be true".

The Democrats wouldn't accept 1) or 2) because both of those are built on racist premises, racist talking points. And of course they wouldn't have anything of 3) and 4) either. So Trump tried to push these four key areas through anway, against an openly resistant House and an often less than amused Senate (and a media sector he had antagonized himself). I really don't see how he could have built a fruitful relationship with Congress and with the Dems, without abandoning much of the stuff he rode into office on.

Dice

Sure, but now we are talking about voting on the razers edge of margins in states that you do not have to depend on Dems. Trump is not winning California, no point to try right? But say he has actually done shit that helped the mid west? Say he has taken to Sanders economic message mixed with Build the Wall. We have seen that he was able to lose by 3 million and still come out the "Winner" anyway so he really does not need to win over the Dems, just the right people in the right places where his rhetoric would be overlooked. It was in 16.

So yea, no shit the man is a racist, but the US has been voting in racists for years. Remember that David Duke was doing this shit in the 80s and 90s. Things are changing sure, but Duke was not winning over a ton of Dems either and was causing all kinds of hell. Trump is just a more effective version of Duke. The next Duke/Trump can offer enough to the base and then enough economic populism to win the needed extra to cross the line and then they are home. We have proven that the parties will go along with whatever the leader says, as proven by Dems covering for a sleese of their own in the 90s and Repubs not giving a hoot about holding trump to account now. So if you can hijack a party you have gotten halfway there already. Who else the base going to vote for?

I agree that the wall is a half baked idea, Tump seems to agree that it was a half backed idea, he told Mexico to please stop talking about it and don't worry on the phone. The bill of goods is not "Can he get this done" but "Does he say what I want to hear". To enough people the answer is yes and they are happy to vote for him again. Because they could care less that they are worse off with the China trade issues, that their beans cant be sold anymore, that whole harvests are worthless, hell that 170,000 people are dead, they like how he talks. He sells a middle finger to those "Hippy coastal elites" and honestly thats what they want. Its what they always wanted, its why the party sells this shit. It works to cover over the unpopular corporate tax crap.

Do not think for a moment that if Trump had not offered to up taxes on the rich, increase medical coverage and other social befit schemes like he promised that the Dems would not have voted for them. He would not have had to abandon the wall, he would have gotten it. Do not tell me for a moment you do not think that Nancy would not have traded something big for that wall in the early days. I am sure if he offered an expansion of medical aid or wealth aid for the poor and massive tax increases for the rich (all things he had promised) that he could not have traded that for something symbolic and otherwise worthless. Nancy would have given him a symbolic win for something that is views as substantially beneficial.

The worst part of all of this, everything he touches turns toxic. The man is not wrong about everything, but that does not matter when he is so inept and divisive that what he does either fails because hes not actually good at this or becomes toxic because it was him saying it.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Dice on September 01, 2020, 10:29:24 AM
The worst part of all of this, everything he touches turns toxic. The man is not wrong about everything, but that does not matter when he is so inept and divisive that what he does either fails because hes not actually good at this or becomes toxic because it was him saying it.

Completely agree there! :)

Aaand...more trouble very day - one way of describing Trump's toxicity is that he is also spreading his own mental illness and ignorance to the voters and members of the cult, because they have bonded powerfully to him. A psychiatrist has now made that case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg9NLODXQqs

Haibane

*face palms*

How utterly irresponsible can this fucking moron get? Openly suggesting that the population of an entire state attempt to break the law in order to prove his own wrong opinion to himself. This is just so dangerous and stupid, it elevates the guy to a new level of stupid.

I suppose when the law makers come down on this outrageous suggestion like a ton of bricks he'll back track again like an internet troll and claim "it was a joke", just like he did with the household cleaner nonsense (which directly got at least one person killed).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54011022