Exalted (Mostly an Interest Check)

Started by AlexStone, June 19, 2011, 11:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

I believe there are some guides over on the official Exalted forums for how to min/max any character to an insane degree, named after one guy in particular who has a talent for them.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Zaer Darkwail

Note; to do 100L hadoken bomb (elemental burst maybe) works only if I get 3-4 other dragon-bloods join in and they have exact same charms and artifact and stamina modifiers as I do (and breeding). So chances for it happening are extremely slim but very fun when it's possible :).

But yeah, one DB's strong points is that they work best in teamwork. Also ofc able use reflexive charms impunity (and save XP with creating combos).

Cold Heritage

So? You can still do a flurry of 32L attacks for 0m that can't be parried with ease.

Why didn't you post this with your first post?

Oh well, whatever. It's not like I've ever wasted time with something before. I don't feel like looking for a min-max guide and trying to find one that I can sort of kludge the character I want to play around. Have fun, everyone.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

meikle

you know what else deals a flurry with huge damage that can't be easily parried?

a solar dawn with a goremaul and a decent rating in melee.

just sayin'.

though if CH is leaving, i could put together a Dusk or Slayer and that would make room for Pumpkin Seeds' twilight.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Cold Heritage on June 23, 2011, 01:59:45 PM
So, wait, someone was complaining about DB weakness?

Anyway, gonna have to reconsider things; I can't compete with the system mastery that lets one guy launch +100L attacks with impunity.

What Zaer described there is a lot of charms.  It would probably take out a third of a Dragon-Blood's Essence pool, minimum.

The weakness for Terrestrials isn't in their Charms, it's in their limited Essence pools, inability to have perfect defenses, and elemental surcharge.  Trust me, that one mote requirement builds up pretty damn fast...

Also, is it common to have Lookshyan Terrestrial characters take Martial Arts charms?  I know you can't take Immaculate Charms at the start, but the Terrestrial styles should be open, right?

Also, Alex?  How would you classify 'slashing weapons'?  It's a thing for a MA style.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Cold Heritage on June 23, 2011, 02:23:21 PM
So? You can still do a flurry of 32L attacks for 0m that can't be parried with ease.

Why didn't you post this with your first post?

Oh well, whatever. It's not like I've ever wasted time with something before. I don't feel like looking for a min-max guide and trying to find one that I can sort of kludge the character I want to play around. Have fun, everyone.

Awww, do not be so damn discouraged just for my ace trick which as note does not cost 0m but rather the magical flurry charm cost and also 1wp to activate the combo. True the birthright font allows me spam elemental bolt for free but that's it really. Also in that mode if I understand correct it does not allow me nothing than free 3m to each time I use elemental bolt. If I want spend 5m for elemental bolt then I pay cost for 5m (but at this point I cannot as 1m spend is related to stamina).

Also what others said; I am walking glass cannon as I have no perfect defense charms. Heck, the archery parry/deflect are based on can I win opposing attack roll or not vs ranged attack. Also my essence pool is smaller so I cannot do that much sorcery stuff and for low pool I made build which allows spam at least one attack in high level exalted combat (yeah, 32L dmg is so high that some perfect parries cause weapons to break if their not artifact quality). Also able to do this I need spend lots of charms and get high essence and so forth.

If you want build advise then simply ask. I myself was adviced on creation of this charm combo with my sorceress as I wanted advice how to be good in exalted game as dragon-blood in game where is celestial exalts. So you too can find good advices how to be bit cheesy in Exalt :).

Muse

Um, Zaer, where does it say you can add an elemental lense to an artifact 4+ item for free? 

I know you can add an elemental lense to an artifact 2 item and make it artifact 4. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zaer Darkwail

I do not know, I was just told by same person who adviced how build my char. It probably means that if artifact is already a artifact 4 (like wings of raptor) you can add elemental lens for free (by ST's decision as there is no artifact 6 items around).

Zaer Darkwail

Cathak Shizune, Blazing Comet of the East
Name:Cathak Shizune    Concept:Seductive Sorceress   Aspect:Fire             Intimacies:
Age:90                            Gender:Male                             Eyes:Red               Hair:Wine red, liquid smooth         
Build:Slim&Busty             Height:5'6                                 Weight:150lb         Languages: High Realm, Old Realm, Riverspeak, Firetongue
Motivation: Become greatest dragon-blood sorceress in history
Dressing: Red silk robes and jade jewelry, also black transparent silk full body suit which leaves her front exposed (and has secret cut over her groin/ass which allows slide a opening). Also wearing pair of shoes.
Anima: A fiery wildfire blaze which creates flaming letters in old realm circle around her. Also form a full blown fiery pentagram in highest mote expend

ATTRIBUTES

Physical                          Social                              Mental
Strength:1                       Charisma:2                      Perception:2
Dexterity:3                       Manipulation:2                Intelligence:4
Stamina:3                        Appearance:6                  Wits:3

ABILITIES

Air                         Earth                           Fire
Linguistics:3          Awareness:2              Athletics*:3
Lore*:4                 Craft[Magitech]:1        Dodge*:3
Occult*:3               Integrity:3                  Melee*:1
Stealth:                 Resistance:                 Presence*:3
Thrown:                War:1                          Socialize*:3

Water                   Wood                        Specialities
Bureaucracy:1        Archery*:3                Archery - Elemental Bolt2
Investigation:        Medicine:                   Presence - Seduction1
Larceny:                Performance:1           Occult - Sorcery1
Martial Arts:1         Ride:1
Sail:                       Survival:

ADVANTAGES

Willpower: 10
Temp.Willpower: 10

Essence                                                    Virtues
Level: 3                                                     Compassion:3                  Temperance:2
Personal:18/18                                         Conviction:2                     Valor:5
Peripheral:39/15
Committed:24                                            Limit:0/10
                                                                   Limitbreak:
Armor
B8/L6/A
Hardness B2/62
Mobility:
Fatigue:
Attack
Elemental Bolt Spd 5 Acc +11 Dmg +4-12L(+10-18L font on, x2 elemental lens) PDV xx Rate 1
Kick Spd 5 Acc +4 Dmg +4B PDV +1 Rate 2
Punch Spd 5 Acc +5 Dmg +1B PDV +3 Rate 3

Combat                                                                       Social
Dodge DV:5 (7 while in air with WotR)                         Dodge DV:8
Parry DV:2 (martial arts)                                              Parry DV:3 (Cha+Pre)

BACKGROUNDS
Merits&Flaws
Enchanting Features: +4pt, +4 dice for seduction, additional -3 penalties from Appearance difference,
                                             no penalties seduce person prettier than her and those not suitable sexual preferance
Legendary Appearance: +3, Increase appearance limit by +1
Vice (common): -4pt, for women/men with Appearance 3 or more (goal; have sex with them)
Enemy: -1pt, her rival from The Heptagram who was jealous for her tutorlage under Tepet Senex in The Heptagram,
                               ST roll d10 vs 1 to see does enemy/rival interfere with Shizune's plans
Obligation: -1, towards Tepet Senex of The Heptagram
Wanted: -4, A wanted ex-dynast traitor who has joined with Solars,
                              ST rolls d10 vs 6 see does Wanted status somehow hinder in the story

Artifact:4
(Discreet Essence Armor 2, Wings of the Raptor w/elemental lense 4, Collar of Dawn's Cleansing Light 1, Yasal Crystal 1)
Breeding: 5
Destiny: 5
Sorcery: 3
Manse: 3
(Air: Key of Mastery)

(Asking ST's permission for this background bonuses, as it is related to Cathak Shizune's background significantly)
Mentor: 4
(Tepet Senex, second oldest mentor in The Heptagram besides Dominie)

CHARMS
COMBOS
Elemental Barrage (Elemental Bolt+Swallow Defends Nest, 4-8m+1wp, 3 motes negated from using elemental bolt with GBF charm active)
Cathak Shizune has always been skilled in use of elemental bolt attack than most sorcerers. Also she had always been
skilled archer herself. So she combined her archery skills with elemental bolt charm to learn able to create barrage of
elemental bolts to hammer on foes from distance in rapid fire bombardment.

Lore
Elemental Bolt Attack, 1m/1L (+1m)
Elemental Concentration Trance, 5m+1wp/one day (+1m)
Elemental Empowerment Meditation, 1wp/+4m
Glorious Birthright Font, 3m/Indefinate

Occult
Terrestrial Circle Sorcery

Socialize
First Excelency, 1m/1 dice
Warm-Faced Seduction Style, 1m

Archery
Dragon-Graced Arrow, 1m/special (+1m)
Swallow Defends the Nest, 1m/per extra attack after first (+1)

SORCERY SPELLS
Demon of First Circle, +20m+1wp
Flight of the Brilliant Raptor, 10m+1wp
Summon Elemental, +10m+1wp

BIOGRAPHY

[Write soon]

Bonus Point Spends: 28/28
Increase Ability - Lore (1 dot, -1pt)
Increase Willpower (5 dots, -5pts)
Increase Virtue - Valor (2 dots, -2pts)
Increase Artifacts (1 dot, -2pts)
Increase Breeding (2 dots, -4pts)
Purchase Manse (3 dots, -3pts)
Increase Destiny (2 dots, -4pts)
Purchase Merits, -7pts
Purchase Flaws, +10pts

XP Spends: 50/50
Increase Essence from 2 dot to 3 dot - 20 XP
Purchase 2 charms (favored) - 20 XP
Create Combo - Elemental Barrage - 5 XP
Increase Virtue - Temperance (1 dot, 3 XP)
Increase Ability - Awareness (1 dot, 2 XP)

meikle

i appreciate that you went ahead with probably the two most broken merits in that entire awful book :p

but i mean, if we are pulling out all of the rules of questionable legitimacy when we make characters here, it'd be good to know, i guess

mostly because that shit is never really fun once it gets into play

O and O and Discord
A and A

AlexStone

So, I think I'm going to exercise a little executive fiat.

The game is set in Chiaroscuro, right after Team Awesome (Whatever you call youself, come up with a good Exalted name.)  has effectively taken over the place.  This has happened with such sudden speed that the Realm has been caught by surprise.  News that an Anathema Kingdom has been established so close to the Blessed Isle has set off alarm bells throughout the Dynasts.  Regent Fokuf has been so shocked by the news that he has retreated to his private quarters for... Extensive consultations of the Sutras.* 

In the absence of leadership, Cathak Canain has announced that he, personally, will lead the attack against the Anathema Kingdom.  Orders have gone out to recall all House troops from mercenary duty.  War comes, and soon.

For this game we will need:
1 Solar of each Caste
1 Renegade Infernal**
1 Dragon Blood
1 Sidereal or Lunar 

* IYKWIMAITYD
** Meikle, this is you- whatever caste makes you heart go squee.

I think we can divy up the roles now- with more freedom of movement in character types, hopefully there will be less trouble getting castes we want.

Some specific concerns:

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 02:32:51 PM

Also, is it common to have Lookshyan Terrestrial characters take Martial Arts charms?  I know you can't take Immaculate Charms at the start, but the Terrestrial styles should be open, right?

Also, Alex?  How would you classify 'slashing weapons'?  It's a thing for a MA style.

There are plenty of Sifu around to teach Terrestrial Martial Arts- just not Immaculate ones easily.  And Slashing Weapons are things like swords or naginata.  If you're not sure, just ask about a specific weapon.

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on June 23, 2011, 12:00:52 PM
So do I nix the Twilight idea I had or am I playing one? 

You are now!  I decided my concept for the game was one I formed before I had an excess of players, and doesn't apply anymore.

meikle

O and O and Discord
A and A

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  Chiaroscuro it is.  *nods*

Okay, Alex.  Question I have for you.

Powered Armors (as presented in the Crimson Panoply chapter of Wonders of the First Age) are constructed utilizing one of the Five Magical Materials, right?  So wouldn't they benefit from whatever material they were made out of?

And for 'slashing weapons' I was asking about a Reaver Daiklaive.

Muse

Whoo-hoo! 

So, what solar caste is left?  Night?  *cracks knuckles* 

Zaer, I see where yuo're friend's confusion comes from.  On page 77 it mentions that certain powerful artifacts already have an elemental lenses integrated.  Specifically the Armors of the Immaculate Dragons. 

But if you're not getting one of those artifacts (with their commensurate investment in repair time and hearstone dedication) the system is specifically: 

Take a rank 1 or 2 artifact. 
Raise it's cost to Artifact 4. 
Raise its' atonement by 2 motes. 
This integrates an elemental lense.  (Which is Repair 2). 

Also, I think you might have gotten from me the house rule that easily seduced by both genders counted as 4 points of vice instead of three.  I did that in a few campaigns for the fun of it, but by the book a vice is 1 or 3 points from frequency, too be raised for difficulty to resist (in temperance successes or willpower points.)   
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 08:08:36 PM
Powered Armors (as presented in the Crimson Panoply chapter of Wonders of the First Age) are constructed utilizing one of the Five Magical Materials, right?  So wouldn't they benefit from whatever material they were made out of?

I have that book in front of me.  Which armor are you looking at?  Some are made from the magical materials and some aren't? 

ReijiTabibito

Initially, I was looking at an Armor of the Immaculate Dragons, but I'm pretty sure that that doesn't benefit from magical materials bonus.  The primary ones I'm looking at are that and the Yoroi Rapid Response Armor, since the first is made of awesome and the second doesn't require maintenance, if memory serves.

Muse

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 08:16:01 PM
Initially, I was looking at an Armor of the Immaculate Dragons, but I'm pretty sure that that doesn't benefit from magical materials bonus.  The primary ones I'm looking at are that and the Yoroi Rapid Response Armor, since the first is made of awesome and the second doesn't require maintenance, if memory serves.

*Grins*  Yoroi Rapid Response Armor.  An upgrade of Ashigaru Skirmish Armor for use by exalts. 

Second paragraph: Composite magic materials means no magical material bonus.  (Atunement 6)  No regular maintenance, relatively light weight. 

Um...  If Cold doesn't return, is Dawn open? 

ReijiTabibito

*frowns*  Damn.  I was hoping for jade bonus, since that would negate the fatigue penalty.  If this were the Scav Lands, I wouldn't worry so much about fatigue...but this is Chiaroscuro and the South, which means heat, which means fatigue...I might need to pump some points into Resistance to make sure I can make the check.

Don't gimme wrong, Yoroi is still awesome, but now I've gotta choose between Immaculate Dragon Armor and Yoroi...

Also, Alex?  How many XPs are we starting with, and do you ascribe to the "increase Backgrounds with XP" camp?

Muse

Oh lordy.  Talk about broken.  3 exp per background point, no matter what level the background point is at? 

Please just give us whatever extra background points you do or don't' want us to have. 

Reiji, if you don't enjoy the challenges of wearing armor in the desert, there's a spell you should look into called Ritual of Elemental Empowerment. 

ReijiTabibito

I wasn't talking about *that* specific line - that's assuredly broken, too, and I use a variant of it - but just the idea that we don't have to do an inordinate amount of roleplaying to boost something one dot.

Also, do we know what sort of character types we need/we have at this moment?

meikle

Quote from: Muse on June 23, 2011, 08:29:28 PM
Oh lordy.  Talk about broken.  3 exp per background point, no matter what level the background point is at? 

Please just give us whatever extra background points you do or don't' want us to have. 

Reiji, if you don't enjoy the challenges of wearing armor in the desert, there's a spell you should look into called Ritual of Elemental Empowerment.

not nearly as broken as +4 dice to social rolls and double penalties from appearance differences (widely regarded as overpowered in the Lunar Charmset) for 4 bp.

i mean ... yeah, i'm not going to start on my sheet until i have an idea of how broken i need to make it to keep up.  i'm certainly not going to be outshined by a DB. :p

O and O and Discord
A and A

Muse

Do I understand correctly that we're supposed to begin with a degree of political power established in Chiaoscuro? 

*Blinks* 

I take it you've got a serious beef with that merit, Meikle? 

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Muse on June 23, 2011, 08:29:28 PM

Where is this spell?  I'm not a sorcerer, but if it's Terrestrial Circle, maybe I can get Zaer's character to use it when we hit heavy battle.

Muse

Black and White Treatise.  :)  Terestrial Circle.  Very complimentary to Summon Elemental.  (Makes more sense to me than flight of the brilliant raptor if she's already got elemental bolt of doom combo.) 

AlexStone

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 08:08:36 PM

And for 'slashing weapons' I was asking about a Reaver Daiklaive.

I think the first question has been answered pretty well. (Depends!) Though, for another dot, you can have Yoroi armor in the Magical Material of your choice. 

A Reaver diaklave looks pretty slashy to me.  What MA are you curious about?  If you want an up-down ruling on if X works with Y, Y might be the place to look, too. 
Quote from: Muse on June 23, 2011, 08:12:09 PM
Whoo-hoo! 

So, what solar caste is left?  Night?  *cracks knuckles* 

Zaer, I see where yuo're friend's confusion comes from.  On page 77 it mentions that certain powerful artifacts already have an elemental lenses integrated.  Specifically the Armors of the Immaculate Dragons. 

But if you're not getting one of those artifacts (with their commensurate investment in repair time and hearstone dedication) the system is specifically: 

Take a rank 1 or 2 artifact. 
Raise it's cost to Artifact 4. 
Raise its' atonement by 2 motes. 
This integrates an elemental lense.  (Which is Repair 2). 

Also, I think you might have gotten from me the house rule that easily seduced by both genders counted as 4 points of vice instead of three.  I did that in a few campaigns for the fun of it, but by the book a vice is 1 or 3 points from frequency, too be raised for difficulty to resist (in temperance successes or willpower points.)   

Night it is for you, then.  Also, Zaer, I think Muse's analysis is spot on, so you might have to fiddle some.
Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 08:23:49 PM
Also, Alex?  How many XPs are we starting with, and do you ascribe to the "increase Backgrounds with XP" camp?

50 XP to start.  And let's just do double background points for now, and see where that gets us.  Remember you have to devote some into actually controlling your kingdom- otherwise, you're in charge, and everyone basically is just pretending you're right.  (Backing and/or Influence, Contacts to represent spies, etc.)  As to raising backgrounds in play, if you want to work on that, just ping me and we'll write it into the plot.

I'm still pondering this whole merits and flaws thing.  I'm not sure they add all that much.