Another site does a text they call 'fnorded'... sounds like fun

Started by steelsmiter, April 11, 2014, 01:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelsmiter

Is there a way we can get the color of text to equal the color of the background so that you have to select the text in order to read it without anyone being aware the text is there (because there's no spoiler)?
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Vekseid

The easiest way is to know whether your post is going to be even or odd and adjust the color accordingly (the color bbcode accepts hexadecimal values a la #012345).

I could add it, but it'd be better to incorporate it into the next theme rework, because it needs to know what color it has to be.

steelsmiter

Quote from: Vekseid on April 11, 2014, 01:38:14 PM
The easiest way is to know whether your post is going to be even or odd and adjust the color accordingly (the color bbcode accepts hexadecimal values a la #012345).

I could add it, but it'd be better to incorporate it into the next theme rework, because it needs to know what color it has to be.

Aah right. There's only one color on the other site. So the coding required would be to get even or odd and use that information to resolve the color of the bracketted text?

EDIT: It seems that some sites allow the text that displays at the top of a spoiler to also be in any chosen color, so would doing that hide the spoiler if the GM were to say 'post reserved for so and so' and try to use the spoiler to actually post the content without giving indication content was posted?
I don't play in PMs
O/Os
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Vekseid

Well, people could still quote it or view source. That sort of thing is best done via things like RPoL's user-specific comments. Handling that is nontrivial.

steelsmiter

Quote from: Vekseid on April 11, 2014, 03:03:20 PM
Well, people could still quote it or view source.
Aah right, so they'd have the option to remove the color tags in their quote. Same goes on the other site though.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
That sort of thing is best done via things like RPoL's user-specific comments. Handling that is nontrivial.
By that you mean it's best and easiest done on my end rather than the site's end?

Also, would it be possible out of curiosity to set a 'transparency' setting to work just like the color tags and make the color of the background irrelevant, or would that be additional coding?
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Vekseid

Well, you could just pm the person, but it's not attached to the thread and may get lost. Coding in the ability to do this on the site would be extremely data intensive.

steelsmiter

I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Kythia

You could look at the acronym tag as well.  Doesn't do quite what you want but I've used it a few times to give extra information with no indication its there.

steelsmiter

Quote from: Kythia on April 11, 2014, 10:29:42 PM
You could look at the acronym tag as well.  Doesn't do quite what you want but I've used it a few times to give extra information with no indication its there.

Is there a way to get that to work on a tablet without using quotes?
I don't play in PMs
O/Os