Peri's Garden Blog is Back!

Started by Peripherie, June 16, 2014, 09:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oreo

The verdict is in on the Mystree we had growing that I shared in an earlier post. The cross of the fuzzy fruit on the cherry-plum tree is: White peach and cherry-plum cross. They look horrible inside, but they taste so good. They are not sugar sweet inside like a white peach, but they are tart like a cherry with a hint of cherry flavor. Rather like the difference between skittles and skittle sours.

Also YAY. I got my first batch of seeds in for my winter garden beets today.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Cassandra LeMay

Alrighto, time to post again. Now that summer is over it is time to take stock of what grew well and what I'll plant again next year. Part of this is just a "note to self" reminder post, but perhaps someone else can draw some inspiration from it too.

Bellflowers: A must! My bellflowers have been growing strong since Easter and they are still budding. There were times when some of them looked like they were pretty much finished, but they all recovered rather nicely. Definitely something I'll plant again next spring.

Mandevilla: Lovely blossoms, will climb like crazy if you give them even a little support. Just need to think a bit about where to put them so I can provide them with the best way to climb next year, but they will be part of my planting next year for sure.

Jasmin: My jasmin has been growing up and down and sideways. Perfect to put in a wide open space that you just want to fill with something.

Verbena: See jasmin above. Another great plant to fill some open space. I planted one with two Heliotropium, just to add a little bit of another color to that pot and it has completely outgrown both. Also, just like my jasmin, they don't need much tending. Just let them grow and they'll take care of themselves.

Petunia: Another keeper. Great for a windowsill where they can just grow and hang down. I am not too fond of the smell, but outdoors that doesn't really matter so I'll certainly plant them again next year. Another plant that I found needs very little tending.

Heliotropium: Another plant I'll have in my garden again. They smell nice, I like the typical purple color of them, and they atttract bees and butterflies. Plus they can stand a lot of sun (if they are watered regularly).

Edit: Something I should not forget are Portulacae/Pursley. Another plant that has needed pretty much no tending in my yard, and they come in a whole lot of different, bright colors.

I am sure at least one or two spontaneous buys will be added to the list, come next spring, but all the above are bound to end up in my yard next year.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)