Halfs And Wholes [byShia&National Acrobat, idea by Shia,with summary, COMPLETED]

Started by Shia, February 24, 2010, 09:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shia

SUMMARY:
The romance story of two doctors, ex and new colleagues and how their hidden feelings begin to bloom for each other even after one of them ends up as a human-cyborg.

"How is your first day going, Doctor Simmons?" The elderly surgeon, leader of the team of professionalists in the stomach of the giant ship leaned above the strange figure, lying on his table at the moment.
The soft and curvy breasts and hips covered with sporty underwear told it was a young woman in her late twenties but as nurses moved closer to the sight that welcomed them at the door, almost each of them turned away like it was a ten-day old corpse they had to touch and comfort.
"What would you like to hear about exactly? The part when I accidentally dropped my tray in the dining hall or the part when I accidentally fell off of the stairs?"
The thin metal strap that half circled her head in the level of the eyes was glowing with a pale blue light under her straight brown hair as she was speaking tiredly, when finally a male caretaker who was 'brave' enough damped her lips.
"Thank you." She reached out her hand that seemingly made of the same material just as her "gaze", legs, arms, waist and neck - but the helper quickly stepped aside with a polite smile, muttering she was always welcome.
'Always welcome. Am I?...'

"Why don't you use the elevator like anybody else here, Imma? Tut-tut, I've already asked you to be careful and don't put more on yourself in the beginning than what is really necessary!"
The white haired, silver bearded man gave her right shoulder that wasn't covered by other than flesh a tender squeeze as they faced each other, waves of a friendly love circulating between the two.
"Having lunch by myself is perhaps unnecessary?! Using the staircase to walk down a floor is unnecessary, you think?!"
If she could cry tears then by now her cheeks would have been wet with her sorrow, but as she couldn't, only her chest was heaving under the strong light of the examination room.
"Hey, sss-sss, calm down, take a deep breath, dearest. No bones broken, no harm done to your organs. CT clear, slight concussions.. You remember who found you?" The experienced doctor made a few more gentle check ups on her abdomen and groin then pulled a blanket over her broken figure, adjusting it patiently while sitting beside her on a stool.
"Not really..." Imma was pondering, palm against temple.
"It was Richardson." ...And hearing the name, this name all the remaining parts of her pretty face immediately strained into a painful grimace.
"Oh, no! Please don't say that is was him! Gosh!"
"Why? He says you are possibly the best pediatrist in this whole hospital."
"...Indeed? Children are affraid of me..." This was all she muttered before the medicine he injected into the small tube under the neck began to work and softly put her to sleep.
Finally Doctor Keller dressed her and brought her into a quiet one-bed patient room himself, not to make her get more contempt than it was 'really necessary'...

National Acrobat

Cody Richardson, well, that was Dr. Cody Richardson, although he didn't think the title really made a difference in who he was. He was still, at heart, a boy from West Texas who had managed to be really good at medicine, surgery to be exact. He also loved space, and when man had gone to the stars and built vast starships, it was mesmerizing to him. When man built vessels of war, and then ventured into deep space to establish worlds and colonies, he wanted to be there. He read the stories, watched the accounts on video when he was a kid.

Man met the Aslan, the Kriee, and war started. Man met the Zhodani, who were ancestors of the humans on Earth, and war ensued.

Cody had graduated from school with honors, and chose to do his residency in the Naval Services. They paid for it, and he got the education. He became a respected, if not eccentric surgeon, mainly due to his language and his style of dress. He looked younger than his thirty three years, but life had been good to him. He was young, handsome, athletic and a gifted surgeon.

He looked back on occasion to the time spent with Imma. He'd always felt a spark there, it was something he'd regretted not pursuing, and their duties had sent them in opposite directions. She'd been injured, although he'd not heard too much about it, given that his duties had taken him away.

That had changed today. He'd been here as he was coming to a new assignment.

The Hospital Frigate Endeavor. It was a good assignment.

He'd helped a young lady up who'd fallen earlier, and he had been about to take pity on her, when he realized it was Imma. He'd brought her to Doctor Keller, who confirmed his suspicions. He was stunned. She was half machine. She was unconscious though, and Doctor Keller had told him to return to room G-3 later, to get his information.

He was in the process of returning, to report to Doctor Keller, for his berthing and quarters, and to get himself oriented to the new ship, the largest of it's kind, a massive space faring Hospital for the Navy.

He entered the suite, having been given directions.

'Doctor Keller? Dr. Cody Richardson' he said, although the curtain had been pulled around the observation table that Imma was on. 'I was told you were here. If you are busy, I can come back' he said. He was hesitant. Was Imma behind the curtain? What would he say?

Shia

"Son. Just in time." Keller's patient voice came from beyond the curtain. "I'm almost finished with dressing our flying friend, now.. Your task will be to find an empty and quiet room for her, close to my office, a one-bed patient room, please. And quickly." He added with a giggle, obviously enjoying the situation to send the enthusiastic surgeon for such a different mission, different than the usual constant racing amongst young professionalists and the desire to proove something or, moreover, to discover something new.

It was a common knowledge the good old doctor had a preference for men so Imma was completely safe in his hands, to say so, besides -and this was a thing even Richardson didn't know- she was the granddaughter of Keller's older brother.
Many roads met aboard the Endeavor so, some of those continuing, some of those not and never.
The case of Cody and Imma was ending with three dots for now, open, never told aloud, waiting for a solution...

National Acrobat

Flying Friend. Oh god, he means Imma he said, but he kept a straight face. He wasn't going to show any signs of unease or discomfort. Not to Dr. Keller. When one was a professional, they were to be professional at all times. He was still processing it. Details of her accident were sketchy to him, he'd only receive a cursory explanation, and was too busy to delve into it with any detail when he'd been informed.

He felt a twinge of sadness. He was fairly certain that onboard, she was more of a side show now. It was the double-edged sword of human nature. All the advanced bio-technology that was available was a marvel that people never stopped talking about, however when they actually met someone who needed, and needed the advanced science to survive daily life, they always acted with revulsion, or fear or simply ignored them.

'Yes, Dr. Keller' he said, his voice loud enough to be heard behind the curtain as he rushed off to secure a private, one bed berth.

Shia

Once they were inside of the patient room -Cody holding the door open while Keller walked in with Imma in his arms- he lay the sleeping girl on the bed, arranging the covers for her and putting her on monitoring with an especially great care - it could be obvious for Richardson that they were at least friends and that the old man felt in himself in charge for her.
"Please, stay with her until she wakes up then page me... Of course, you can stay after that as well - if she doesn't throw you out." He added with a bittersweet chuckle.
"Imma's become a little bit.. frustrated since her surgery but I'm sure she's gonna be all right, it's just a matter of time." He gave a last wink to the newcomer then rushed after his busy schedule
- leaving the two together in the same room since they last saw each other two years ago, the young doctor's cape with the name tag 'Imma Simmons, children's physician' waiting on the back of a chair...

National Acrobat

'Of course Doctor, I'd be glad to' he said to Doctor Keller. He pulled up that chair that had her coat on the back, and made sure that he could see the monitors that kept a close eye on her body. He wistfully gazed upon her, and felt the sadness disappear. She was still the same woman, no matter how her body had changed. Perhaps that is what the doctor meant when he discussed her throwing him out. Perhaps she was ashamed of her new body, or what he'd think. He shook his head.

How could he think any less of her? To him, it was still Imma. That hadn't changed one bit.

He took her hand in his, and gently squeezed it. Yes, it was still Imma. They would have to trust each other, they would be reunited in the same department after their separation.

Shia

The touch of it was neutral. Some sort of metallic material, but not cold, nor warm, just a light construction that allowed her the best possibilities to move her new arms and fingers and to use them to the maximum. And surely the same was true for her other prosthesises.
Around an hour later life slowly returned into the seeing aid, bringing some soft blue radiation into the gently lighted room and between them.
"I don't feel much.. but thanks..." Imma smiled at him shyly once her gaze settled at her only visitor and she pulled her artificial limb away from him to rest it on the blanket... "What do you want?"...obviously embarrassed and slightly upset that he saw her in this condition.   

National Acrobat

He'd grafted body parts onto patients before, but had never held one that was actually attached to a living recipient. It felt strange. It dawned on him that perhaps that had a lot to do with the words Doctor Keller left him with. She wouldn't want him to see her this way. She probably either hadn't gotten used to the sensations, or worse, they weren't the same.

He looked over as she woke, and he smiled. 'It's alright' he said to her. 'What do I want? Well, I wanted to visit you, and here I am' he said. 'We're going to be working together again' he added, hastily. 'If, well, if you want me to go, I will but, I thought you might like some company' he said to her, his cheeks flushing a bit. She doesn't want me here he thought. He was embarrassed.

Shia

Imma sighed and after a few minutes of hesitating, gathering strength to leave the room she sat up and with a few firm movements she got rid of all the sensors and put on her shoes again - the same metallic surface appearing from under her trousers for a few seconds...
"Then let's work together..." The young woman muttered, just like to herself, and with a rosy mouth curving downwards she put her medium long hair into a loose ponytail.
"I have administration to catch up with..." The doctor wanted to rise onto her feet quickly... but loosing balance again she almost ended up on Cody's lap.
"Damn it!" Imma hissed and caught the back of the bed.
Visibly she wasn't too self-confident yet using her new limbs, besides her concussions neeeded more rest than a single hour of nap...
"Gosh!, where's my cape??"

National Acrobat

'Yes, let's' he said to her, but caught her as she started to stumble. 'Doctor' he began 'I think you need to take it easy for a bit longer. I didn't look at your chart because I didn't want to pry, but I am pretty sure that you need more than an hour's worth of rest' he chided very softly, not getting terse or belligerent. 'Rest is important. You don't want to try to do too much before you are able' he said to her. 'I can't have a work partner who isn't following her own doctor's orders, can I?' he said, winking. He knew that she wanted to prove that she could do it, on her own, and he understood that. However, there was always a right way to do things, and there was the incorrect way. Being a doctor, she should know better.

'Your cape is on the chair I was using. It's fine. Do you want it?' he asked her.

Shia

Standing at the very same spot, supported by his arm she instinctively touched her temple when pain increased and her dizziness grew.
"Rich.. I think I'm gonna throw up..." Imma's voice trailed off and insecurely she took a hold on the friendly hand that was offered.
Lowering her head she tried to breathe consciously, long and calmed, but the colour of her still pretty face was already pale like a snowdrop.
'Rich', she called him Rich!, just like in the old times - and her heart was wrapped around with a strange aching as she did so, other than the pain of loosing parts of her body, it was beyond the veil of recent loss, it was the pain of untold words, long, long ago...

National Acrobat

'Alright Imma, let's get back to the bed then' he said, and he gently nudged her to sit back down. 'You won't throw up if you get back to a prone position. Did you have a concussion, because you are displaying the signs rather well' he said to her.

He caught the use of the familiar nickname, and flashbacks raced through his mind. What could he say? What should he say? She was more machine now...

He resolved to look past it. Internally he'd already started to have this debate. Woman. She's all woman, she's your friend, she is still the same. Respect her.

He kept her hand in his, and sat next to her on the bed. 'Imma, I think you'd probably best let the administrative work wait until at least tomorrow. I'll be glad to sit here with you tonight, and keep you company, just like we used to do on the Midnight Shift.' He had fond memories, they'd sit around and keep each other occupied simply talking, to pass the long overnight hours. That brought a smile to his face.

Shia

With a single touch at the right place she turned off the seeing device to get a little more relaxed - but her hand was gently squeezing his until the stirring feeling was gone from her stomach, and stayed there even after that, motionless between his caring fingers.
"Okay, you've won, I have slight concussions.. Very minimal, all right?" Imma added with a little smile that SO reminded of those many, years ago, when they spent the days together, one after the other...
"Thank you, Rich.. You.. really don't have to sit here with me, I'm sure you have better things to do in your first shift than babysit somebody who can not even use the stairs properly."
Her lips were getting dry and she shivered almost invisibly, but visibly enough for the eyes of a doctor.

National Acrobat

He smirked, although it was slight, and if one looked, it was a rather cute attempt. 'Slight? Hmm, I think you might be trying to tell me that it's less serious than it seems' he said to her. He didn't let go of her hand, instead keeping a gentle hold on it, even as he sat next to her. 'There, that's what I was looking for, that smile' he said, grinning to her.

'Please' he said to her 'I want to. I wouldn't imagine of being anywhere else at the moment. I have nothing pressing currently, and this is much more important to me' he said to her. There, he'd gotten that out of the way. Stubborn as she may be about this, she hadn't forgotten how stubborn he could be, had she?

'Let me get you another blanket. Do you want something to drink?' he asked her.

Shia

"The blanket I used just before is gonna be fine. And a little water from the tap perhaps, that's all." Repeating the same movement she turned on her "eyes" again, ready to do all this by herself
- but then her new blue gaze met his... and that willing warmth she found there quit her flow of words, making her expression softened and her back lean against the pillows again.
"Thank you..." Beautiful Imma whispered finally, giving in and letting him take a little care of her.
After all it wasn't painful at all...

National Acrobat

'Are you sure petite fleur?' he said, finally using the pet name he'd always had for her. Even though he was a red blooded Texas boy, he found the french words for 'small flower' to be quite alluring, and he'd always thought that flowed off of his tongue when speaking of her. If she was going to use nicknames, so would he. In a sense, it would help to show that there was nothing that would come between his desire to show her that even as she had changed, it wasn't something that was going to stand in the way of their friendship and what he thought of her. She was relenting a little, which meant that she was going to let him tend to her, at least for now. Suddenly, he wished he'd never been transferred away. He was wishing he'd been here the whole time. She must have been lonely.

'You're shivering, which means you're chilly' he said. At least that's what he thought anyway.

He stood up, and let her hand go for the moment, so he could get her some tap water. 'I'm up, is there anything else you want?' he said.

Shia

She yawned a little into her palm then chuckled.
"Only that glass of water. And you. To come back here and say that again. 'Petite fleur'.. Hmm.. I still like it." Imma nestled herself more to the blanket he gifted her with.
But all the time her look was sticked to his figure and she kept on smiling to him softly, only interrupted by another, longer yawn.
"How did you know I'll still like it?" The young woman leaned her temple against the back of her hand while watching him.

National Acrobat

'How did I know?' he said turning the tap on and filling the glass. 'I didn't, but I think that I know you well enough to know that you liked the way it used to sound, so why would now be any different?' he said to her. He brought the glass over to her, and handed it to her. 'Besides, it sounds so original when it comes out of my southern drawl' he said, grinning.

He took a good look at her. She was still Imma, and she still had her lovely voice, her womanly ways. There was only some physical differences, and that mind, it was still her, that personality, still her. The others on board didn't know what they were missing. He did. He took his shoes off, and put his lab coat aside, and got back next to her in the bed and pulled the blanket up.

'Besides, you would have immediately told me if you didn't like it, in no uncertain terms, I am sure'.

Shia

Once they were cuddled up close to each other like twins waiting for the moment of their birth together, suddenly Imma began to giggle, a sweet music for his ears and also for their hearts - this was the first time he could hear that again and though it wasn't as loud and carefree as before she still did it the way only she could, with such vivid tones that could have awaken even the dead.
Leaning her head against Rich's shoulder quietly she confessed then.
"I've forgotten to take off my shoes. Again.. I always forget it recently, oh, one embarrassing thing in having no real legs, my!"
Humour. So she survived all this by keeping her good sense of jokes, whether they were written by pleasures or tragedies. After all all that mattered was her attitude and inside she was already using her new sort of limbs instead of the ones she lost.
Lucky she was to survive and even more lucky to still be able to laugh.
But the luckiest she felt now that he was by her side again...

National Acrobat

Her sounds made him smile as they sat next to each other, draped with the blanket. It was good to hear that, it made him happy, and he could tell that she was happy too. Doctor Keller would be glad to hear that as well. Half the battle was the mental aspect, and suddenly things looked a lot brighter.

'Tsk, tsk. Don't worry about it. Shoes are shoes, and it will come to you. If you want, I'll take them off' he offered, not shy at all about her physical situation. The alternative was to hard to think about. Her not being here at all would have darkened his heart, and would have sent part of his world crumbling down around him.

He waited for her reply, and placed an arm atop hers, comforting her.

Shia

Imma stared into his eyes... at least the position of her head indicated that to happen, for long long moments, before she swallowed and returned his smile, though much shyly than he did.
"Why.. why are you doing all this for me, Rich??.. I mean.. here everybody treats me like an alien.. Even my own sister is unable to spend time with me. But you.. you are so different..." Her voice was quiet like a whisper.
She didn't pull away from his arm, the comfort he gave - the sensation was different, numb and almost nothing but the same warmth wrapped her heart around, the same as the one that was there at their last night together, at the party after the celebration of the hospital's new mission team, delegated to the war zone... by now most of them just a name and two dates on a marble plate...
But Imma was still there and still real. Still his Imma.

National Acrobat

'Why? Imma, we are friends. We've been friends for years, a long time, ten years at least' he said. 'You are still the same Imma to me, and always will be, no matter what. I wouldn't think of not being here. Just because others may treat you differently, I won't' he said to her, smiling. 'Friends stick together, no matter what, even if they can't always be there in body, with distance surrounding them, we always remember each other in our hearts and minds. However, in this case, I am here again.' He smiled warmly, feeling his heart race. Why wasn't he able to talk to her like this a few years ago?

Shia

Imma sighed and relaxed some more - part of what Cody said just didn't break through the safety wall around her soul...
"Perhaps it's me who should not be here.. Today a child freaked out when I wanted to examine him, shouting that I'm a 'monster'. The parents took him to another pediatrist before I could explain. Before I could begin to explain.. It's really not why one is fighting to get a diploma.. Maybe I should change to the laboratory or teaching?... But all my life's been about kids. I love them. Before they loved me too..."
She was staring at the ceiling as these bitter words left her full lips, the soft glow of her seeing device drawing a pale bluish halo around her noble features.
Except a tiny mark on her chin all the scars were gone from her face by now...

National Acrobat

'Don't say that, Imma!' he said to her. 'You know that's not true. It's what you love to do, and you know that not everyone will react that way' he said to her.

'If anything, it's a great opportunity for them. A learning experience, and your manner with children is wonderful. I can't imagine you pursuing any other line of work, your life's work' he added. 'Besides, somewhere out there, at some point, there is a child that is going to need you more than ever before, and I know that you'll be there, ready to help. Don't give up. Don't stop being you' he said to her. smiling at her.

Shia

CORRIDOR OF SURGICAL UNIT - OPERATION ROOMS

Strange, slightly arythmic steps approached to the quiet corner where he was pausing... Then the sound of something else was recognisable... Soon the phenomena was completed by the white caped figure of doctor Imma Simmons, a worried expression appearing on her pretty face as she was watching Cody, just a few hours later of the tragic accident at a large residential ship's docking bay.
Her whole figure was nothing else but loving concerns as her left hand was squeezing a forearm crutch nervously and she seemed perfectly determined to help him.
"Hi..." She began quietly, keeping back her breathe and carefully stepping closer. "I've just heard the news.. Came here immediately... How.. how do you feel??..."
Only the polite hissing of the air circulating system added a little bit of life to the sterile pastel atmosphere that faced the young man silently...

National Acrobat

It had indeed been a long day for Dr. Cody Richardson.

It had started when the Colony Ship Constellation had a catastrophic accident while testing out her new jump engines. She was now a twisted wreck in space. The Endeavor had been close, and responded. Wounded had come on board in droves. It was awful.

Cody had been thrust into the middle of it on his first shift in the emergency room aboard the ship. His first shift.

The man had been the father of four children, ranging in age from three to seventeen, and Cody had tried for longer than normal to get the bleeding to stop, but the shrapnel wounds were just too much.

He looked up and saw Imma coming. He managed a weak smile.

'Terrible. Absolutely terrible. I am supposed to save lives, not watch them die. I couldn't-I couldn't do it. He was young, had children, a wife...' he said, his voice trailing off. His skin was pale.

Shia

Imma sighed and leaned against the wall beside Richardson, giving his hair a few gentle strokes with her free hand, then nestled her head to his shoulder.
"We fail.. Time to time it happens, you know that.. No matter how hard we want the opposite..."
A few other staff members passed them by but everybody was too busy to pay more attention to them than the usual look and nod. After all, nothing special happened - death payed the bill.
"I'm here.. And you can tell me anything, you can curse, you can pray, whatever. I'll keep that. At a good place in my heart."
The same hand gave an encouraging squeeze to his.

National Acrobat

'I know it does, and I know that it is inevitable. We can't save everyone, but it just seemed so unfair. He had so much to live for, and I couldn't make it happen' he said to her. He'd never felt like he'd failed so much before. 'I had to tell his wife, it was awful. I had to tell her that I failed her' he said, nearly choking up.

He put one arm around her, and she took his other hand. 'Thank you, Imma. That means a lot to me. I, I could use the company. Would you like to grab a bite to eat, or something to drink. I don't think I want to go back to my quarters right now, at least not before talking some. I am afraid if I go back I'll just drink too much' he said to her. Besides, he'd rather have the company. He needed it.

Shia

With a mischievous smile she leaned closer, planting a gentle kiss on the weary surgeon forehead.
"Have a shower and be at my quarters an hour later. I'm finished here for today and I think I know what you need just right now..."
Imma quickly wrote the number of her apartment on a slice of paper and carefully she slid it into the pocket of his cape.
"Here. This is your ticket to Optimism. I'll show you why..." She gave him a last wink then patting his shoulder she stumbled away, back to the elevator.
That fall, on the day before yesterday made her more cautious. Not because of herself but because he asked her to be so...

National Acrobat

'Alright' he said to her rather quietly, squeezing her hand. 'I will do that, and I thank you' he said to her as she kissed his forehead. 'A ticket to optimism. What a lovely phrase' he said, grinning as she headed off, back to her apartment.

He still felt a bit down. Great days in the emergency room were just that: Great Days. Bad days, however, were worse than it sounded. One bad incident could shake a surgeon's confidence, one really bad outcome could follow them forever.

He went back to his quarters, and took a long, hot shower, and shaved. He then dressed in his favorite clothing, a simple pair of blue jeans, cowboy boots and a simple shirt. With that, it was off to see Imma. He arrived at her door feeling a bit more relaxed and upbeat.

Shia

Almost his mirror image opened up the door for him once Cody pressed the button of the com link: loose hair, jeans, T-shirt... except she was "barefeet" here, he could take a long peek at the end of her nicely formed new legs. There were no toes there but the construction looked reliable and quite feminish, to say so. 
"Come in, make yourself at home."
Behind her a small picnic scene appeared, arranged on a blanket on the soft wall to wall carpet, only some colourful spot lights were on and many, many many little candle lights dancing under the majestic view that welcomed him at the place of her ceiling which was actually one large window, revealing the wonders of space.
"You like it?" Imma chuckled, obviously she already started to get used to this breathtaking background and was happy to share it with somebody else too. 
In the silence he could hear the slight, almost unhearable buzzing of her metallic arm as she quickly picked up her cardigan from the back of the sofa - to cover the embarrassing reality of her new being...

National Acrobat

'Wow' he said, amazed at all this. He hadn't had a clue what she was up to, but he smiled. 'Yes, yes I do. I like your choice of clothing, by the way' he said, noting her similar style of dress. He offered to help her with the cardigan. 'You look really, really nice. Very nice' he added.

'It's fantastic' he said, looking at her preparations. The window into space was majestic. 'Thank you, I already feel much better' he said to her.

Shia

Truth was she liked skirts. No, she loved skirts but after the accident everything turned upside down for Imma and she didn't feel the right to wear a cloth like that anymore, nor the sleeveless tops she was so fond of and from what she had a wide and colourful collection, each piece a fully written sheet in her mental diary.
So she turned back to jeans and T-shirt with a minimal cleavage and with much sorrow hidden under their material...
But now, a sparkle began to dance on the skin of her cheeks and blushing slightly as a springtime tulip she asked back. Insecure. Hoping?... She stopped halfway in her dressing moves.
"Really?... I mean.. it doesn't disturb you?? The sight of my arms...?"
The young woman looked away - she hated that cardigan and only kept it there, close to the door to be ready and 'invisible' enough if somebody comes.

National Acrobat

He thought she looked great, the jeans and t-shirt were a natural, comfortable look. It looked really good on her, natural for her. He smiled, stepping into the apartment and letting the door shut behind him, taking the cardigan from her. 'No, it doesn't disturb me. It's still you Imma, and that's all that really matters. You're here, with me, which is a good thing. I feel better already' he said to her. 'You didn't have to do all this, but it's very appreciated' he said, leaning over to put a kiss on her cheek.

Shia

Feeling that gentle touch of lips on her cheek, a man's lips -and it was the very first time since she opened her eyes after the drastic chain of surgeries-, Imma was smiling a bit sheepishly but her mood was definitely moved towards 'cheerful' and 'satisfied'.
"Well then..." She inhaled and the springtime tulip changed into a crab-red. "May I bring you something to drink?"
Caressing hair behind her ear nervously she walked into the small living room that was separated from kitchen by only a few light bamboo sliding walls.
"Truth is I don't have any alcoholic here because of my medication, but I can serve you orange or apple juice, mineral water, coke, coffee whatever.. Or I can order you some bear if you insist to make yourself numb tonight." Imma teased him gently and offered him a stool at the other side of the counter.
"Music? I have some fine country stored if you're not affraid to become home-sick." The woman stirred something on the cooker then turned back to him with a mischievous smile - scents were already promising and strongly reminded him of his favourite meal...

National Acrobat

He smiled. It was familiar and felt good to be here. He was suddenly very glad that his new assignment had brought them back to the same place. He didn't feel that any time had passed between them. It was as if things were as they were. She was physically different, but that didn't matter to his eyes. She still had the same laugh, the same voice, the same mind. He smile was still the smile he remembered. Yes, Imma was the same old Imma and it brought a smile to his face.

'No, I'll pass on the alcohol. Coke is fine. I mean, what's the point of getting numb? It really doesn't help anything.'

'Not afraid of being home sick at all, as long as you can stand the country music' he said with a grin, taking the offered seat. 'Something smells wonderful. I dare say, you're up to something, aren't you?' he said, giving her a wink.

Shia

"Perhaps yes, perhaps no!" She touched the tip of his nose with the clean end of the wooden spoon she used and with a smirk, then after a little struggle with the bottle and pouring out what he wished to have she handled him the glass.
"Just settle down on the blanket, I'll be right there.. Oh, feel free to use the cushions. It's more comfortable that way." Imma added once he walked away.
So this was how she spent her evenings: watching the wonders of the Universe, contemplating about her life... Never she appeared at the cantin, nor she was seen in the artificial park, a popular place for staff members to meet.
Soon some tearing-smiling country music was displayed softly in the background, like a 'thinking about you'-hug right from Texas, right from Planet Blue, evoking memories of rain and sunshine in their souls...
Imma joined him with her orange juice and a quick 'cheers'.
"To our weak points.. Remembering they only make us stronger."

National Acrobat

'I suspected as much, but I'll keep my nose out of the kitchen' he said, grinning. No sense in spoiling the surprise. Unless of course she wasn't up to anything, then it really wouldn't matter, now would it?

He took the offer glass, and bowed. 'Thank you much ma'am' he said. 'Cushions you say. Should I take my boots off? It won't offend you will it?' he said, moving over to find a place to set the glass down without spilling it. He took the boots off, figuring she wouldn't mind, and he got comfortable, leaning back on the cushions. He loved the view, the stars passing by and the twinkling lights in space. He found it to be comforting, soothing even. When she sat down he smiled. 'Cheers, and you are right' he said in regards to her toast.

'This is a fabulous place you have here. I love it. It is very welcoming' he added.

Shia

"The fact that you still have two handsome legs doesn't offend me at all." She lifted her glass to drink for his health with a playful smile. "Besides.. I don't wear shoes myself."
It seemed Imma's humour was one of her most unharmed parts.
Once she put aside the crystal cup she settled more comfortable herself, leaning her head against her palm, supporting herself with her elbow.
"Would you like to talk about it?.. I'm listening Rich, you can tell me anything."
Her strange "gaze" was piercing and reassuring at the same time - always the same pale blue, glowing with the same intensity.

National Acrobat

'Alright, point taken. I can take the boots off' he said, grinning. 'You're still a charmer Imma. Your humor is a very welcome thing. I have missed it dearly over the past couple of years' he said to her.

'I, well, I was scared today Imma. Scared. I saw the man die, after I couldn't save him, and I've never tried so hard in my life to save someone, to will something to work even though it wouldn't. I have to admit, although I was afraid to, that for once in my life, I was very, very afraid. Scared to death. How could I call myself a surgeon?' he said to her.

'And then, I realized, I had nothing to be scared of. At least not there. I think I was scared of something else. I was scared that you might think I was being kind to you, when I talk like nothing has changed between us. I realized, after seeing you again, that nothing has. You're still the same woman to me you always were. You always will be. All those feelings I had before, I still do have them, Imma' he said. He was being very honest with her. Her physical body did not turn him off like it might others. He knew her, who she was, what she was like, and it was all good to him.

Shia

She pressed her closed lips a little... that singly, tiny gesture telling about her nervously racing heart, cute and talkative.
"Now you scare me." Imma giggled softly, obviously not realising what he was just telling her, the full meaning, the whole weight of his words just didn't impact, only fragments provoking thoughts, somewhat.
It was the same just as her problem with clothing. She still could wear skirts, why not? And also those sleeveless tops - she just didn't believe she could still do that.
"All this time we spent apart I thought you have a girlfriend.. A fiance or.. already a wife. Two kids. Why don't you? There were plenty of nurses and doctors sticked to you, pretty ones, successful ones. What's the problem, Rich?"
It was weird, she mentioning problems in connection with him, while it was her life that's been teared apart, so cruelly and so painfully literally.

National Acrobat

'Me, scare you? Why?' he said to her, moving just a little closer to her. 'I certainly wouldn't want to scare you' he said to her, wonder in his eyes.

'I have not had a girlfriend, fiance, wife, any of that. I have often had one woman in my thoughts, and none compare to her. None have ever touched me here' he said, hand over heart 'like this woman does. I find myself comparing them all to her' he said.

Shia

Giving a soft caress to his hair again Imma smiled solacingly.
"But Rich.. Then why don't you just tell her?? You're gonna.. life's gonna just.. pass you by if you don't take a step and she doesn't even know it! Why are you here then? Why aren't you there, by her side??"
If she would have had eyes those would have been the most convincing, just like any time when she was talking about something important.
"Go ahead and live your story Rich.. She must be a very lucky girl, perhaps one day I'll meet her myself."
Again she took a sip from her glass - wishing it was alcohol that absorbs her bitterness...

National Acrobat

She didn't see it. How could she. She didn't view him that way. She doesn't see me like that he thought to himself. How could he tell her? If she didn't notice, then what was telling her going to do? It would set him up to be disappointed.

He looked at her. 'I tried to tell her, but she didn't see' he said to her, looking at her face, smiling at her.

Shia

"Then tell her again! Tell her in a different way! Hey, come on, use your brain Rich! I know you can do it..." Imma began to warm up and ready to fight for helping him and that unknown young lady - she could be a true warrior if the steak was high.
Patting his shoulder she jumped on her feet and run after her nose that signed her it was time to serve dinner...

National Acrobat

'Imma, it's you' he said as she got up to run off to the kitchen.

He was half-expecting her to turn on him, or to feint. He wasn't sure which, so he was ready to spring up.

'It's you. It always has been you. It always will be you' he said to her.

Shia

Whatever was being prepared on the cooker it started to get more than ready as Imma stayed motionless as a statue, staring at him... gathering strength to swallow... then to say something, anything.
Long moments tick-tacked away upon them as the two were standing, facing each other without those walls - they disappeared, maybe they've never erected there between them.
"I can't have a child..." This was all she muttered finally, squeezing her jeans like it was one of her old, long skirts, like she was the same frightened, long haired girl as she was once, on the first day of their lives as interns, at the gate of hell. "My love..."

National Acrobat

He looked at her, relieved that she didn't run away from him, or throw something at him.

He took a step closer to her. 'That doesn't change my opinion, or what I think or feel' he said to her.

He blushed when she uttered those last words. They were music to his ears. 'My love...that sounds so right' he said to her.

Shia

"Because I love you..." Her voice was still as quiet as a whisper and she was still affraid to touch him once their cards were revealed. "For ten years I've been loving you.. And I still do..."
Something turned on in the kitchen with a polite 'click' - the sensor above the cooker met the smoke and quit warming up their lost dinner.
Her eyes couldn't speak to him anymore but from many other sign Cody could be sure she was crying now.

National Acrobat

He didn't hear the click. He only heard her voice. He moved towards her, and embraced her in his arms. 'And I love you, Imma. I always have, and always will' he said, comforting her, holding her in his warmth. He held her close, savoring the touch. The contact.

Shia

"Damn it! I've missed you so much!.. It was so, so terrible, Rich!..." She sniffled and leaned her temple against his chest. "And now.. now I think I'm gonna sob.. which is not romantic at all.. And I've also spoiled your pasta bolognese!.. So sorry..." Imma laughed and cried at the same time, wrapping her arms around his waist.
Which started as an attempt to solace a friend ended up like the turning point of their relation, blooming it gently into a relationship.
"I've left out oregano from it 'cause I know you don't like that..." Imma cradled themselves slowly, to the rythm of their hearts, starting to beat together.

National Acrobat

'I know it was for me to darling, for me too' he said, his hand resting on her head as she leaned up against him. 'It's alright. We can sob together' he said, trying to bring a bit of humor into the moment. He was elated. He felt so wonderful now, like he was riding a natural high.

'Don't worry about the food. We can always cook some more. It's the thought that counts, and besides, it has been a very, very good evening for me. Nothing else matters as much' he said to her.

Shia

CONFERENCE ROOM - SURGICAL UNIT

"I've already called a pediatrist. I agree, we can't decide in this case without the opinion of one." The slim and dainty figure of the young woman turned back to Richardson and the few other team member now with a satisfied smile, dozens of CT scans and other test results waiting on the wall for a solution.
Doctor Aelina Sparks, guest of the surgical unit was definitely one who enjoyed attention but it suited her well, showing her pretty features only more adorable, framed by a well chosen frisure of curly black hair that made her smooth pale skin look even more pale with those thick cherry lips. No wonder male colleagues liked to spend time in her presence - her company was just as special as her knowledge.
She could be only a few years older than Cody and the two immediately got along well, perfectly, as she was the same open minded and casual personality as our hero, she just burried it deep when it was about work - another proof of her professionalism.

A few minutes later she entered, her long embroidered brown skirt sweeping the side of the door gently as she walked in -still supported by that crutch as her fall hardly hit her left hip and she was still facing balance problems-, the nice necklace above a matching colour top drew the attention from her seeing device, softening the whole effect of her new reality, but even pretty like this, her shiny brown hair in a ponytail, her wrinkle wearing a mineral bracelet under her cape - she was obviously not good enough for some people there. Clearing their throats or just peeking into their papers again they turned away their looks from her figure, while Aelina almost pierced her, treasuring the chance to see a human-cyborg so 'functioning.'

With a shy smile Imma greeted everybody in the elegantly designed room, speaking a little slowlier when it was to Cody.
"Doctor Richardson" She said with a talkative little half-smile only they understood.
In the last few days, since that misfortunate cooking attempt and the happiest moments of their lives they didn't have much time for romanticism. The daily dose they could get was sleeping together for a couple of hours in one or the other's quarters then slipping out carefully, not to tell the whole ship about their slowly forming intimacy, not to give rumours a good starting kick right in the beginning, when both of them were filled with insecurities and more than complex feelings, sweet but heavy ones.

National Acrobat

'Well we have the best pediatric doctor on the way' Cody said, and his voice was quite cheery when he spoke those words. Even though they had both been extremely busy over the past few days, they had been great days as far as he was concerned. All the doubts he had harbored after his very bad day earlier in the week, had disappeared. He was grateful for that.

He was sure Dr. Sparks was a lovely person, but all thoughts about anything else disappeared when Imma arrived. 'Doctor Simmons, so good to see you' he said, winking to her, quickly.

'I am so glad you are here. We have a situation that only you can seem to solve, or at least, point us towards' he said.

Shia

Once she stayed alone together with the kid, a five year old girl with serious heart problems, and with her parents, Aelina walked beside Cody who was watching the scene through the large window of the little patient's room. Standing self-confidently on her high heels their heads were at the very same level now.
"Seems you two have a sort of.....bond...?" Finally she let the short word leave her lips with a slightly teasing tone.
Imme gave her Rich a warm smile when she caught his gaze between two moves...

National Acrobat

'Yes, you could say that' he said to Aelina. 'Imma and I have been very good friends for a long time' he said to her. 'In fact, we are pretty inseparable at times' he said, and there was definitely affection in his voice as he talked about Imma. 'She is a fantastic physician, and a great person' he added, giving Imma a very warm smile herself as he watched her. He motioned for Imma to come over to where he was.

Shia

But as the examination wasn't finished yet she could only offer him another teasing smile and a touch through the window as she encircled the table to get something from the shelves.
Aelina folded her arms in front of her chest and leaned against the wall, still facing the scene, how Simmons was chatting with the child, caressing her head then pressing the tip of the kid's nose, laughing together with patient and family, easing their stress like a fairy in a white cape.
"I've heard about the prototype she uses to move around, to continue her life..." The guest had her neutral remark. "What a pity that until now every attempt to create the perfect cyborg failed..."
There was a strange taste in her words, the flavour of the unfinished, something that was held back for Cody's sake, as it felt...

National Acrobat

Cody was watching in amazement as Imma's bedside manner transcended her body's look, how the child and her family were receiving her, not treating her like some sort of creature. He looked around the room to the others, hoping that they could see what the child and her family saw, a woman, a person. Not a machine.

Cody kept a neutral expression upon his face while Aelina talked. He wasn't sure she had his best interests in mind, but didn't comment.

'That's find, Doctor' he said to her. 'I have access to the same sort of files and information, and should I decide to take a look, I will, but for now, that sort of thing has not crossed my mind, because she is my friend, and I do not wish to worry about things I might have no control over' he said. Live life a day at a time, take the good as it comes. That was how they needed to live anyway.

Shia

"Well..." Aelina grabbed the chart and was about to leave. "You're maybe right but... I'm telling this because you and Doctor Simmons are "pretty inseparable at times".. None of the patients' body could tolerate the implants for more than two years. That was the maximum before a serious auto-immune reaction began and they...... became seriously limited again.. Doctor Richardson..." The end of the sentence was quiet, very quiet.
Then their newly appeared demon nodded and walked away like a dark angel who just fulfilled her mission...

Imma left the room with a cheerful expression on her face, planting a light kiss on his lips now that there were only the two of them in the corridor.
"So? What did she want?"
A beautiful young woman in love, that was what she was, nothing more, nothing less.

National Acrobat

'Yes, well, even if that's the case, so be it' he said, trying not to get angry at her. What exactly were her motives, anyway? 'There's always a chance it could be different, and even if not, two years is two years more than I thought we'd ever have' he said to her simply.

When she left, and Imma came over, he smiled as she kissed him. 'She was asking about your progress, noting how wonderful the child and her parents seemed to be as you spoke to them' he said to her, which was mostly the truth. 'She also noticed your radiant smile today' he added. He thought that Aelina was jealous.

'I think there is a movie on tap for tonight, and chinese food, if you're interested' he said, smiling.

Shia

Two years, two years... More than half of the first was already gone and they've just confessed to each other... But truth was Sparks' bitter remarks had nothing to do with their perfect evening and possibly night after that.
"Aren't you affraid they will think I am the monster and escape the cinema?" Imma chuckled as she wrapped her arms around his waist carefree and happy, being cradled in his embrace while their gazes entwined.
...Though what he stated about Aelina's comments felt hardly believable to her ears and heart...

National Acrobat

'I doubt it' he said to her, pulling her closer for another kiss since they were alone for the moment.

'She also inquired about your hip, since your fall isn't hidden knowledge from anyone. She was inquiring as to whether it seemed to have done any permanent damage that couldn't be fixed' he said to her. 'She was about to go into lengthy discussions about implants, but I wasn't in the mood to hear of it' he said, and that really was the truth, in a roundabout sort of way.

'I told her that was business between you and I, and your doctor' he said, smiling to her.

Shia

A little piece was suddenly broken off of Imma's happiness but she tried not to show it much.
"Really?" She began to caress Cody's shoulders. "Don't worry, just a week or so and I'll throw away this damned stick, you'll see." And there was a wink in her voice.
Three hours later they were walking slowly hand in hand and -no crutch- towards the cinema through the wonderful artificial park that was formed almost perfectly like one on planet Earth. Between rows of old school lamps couples could go romantic pretending it was just an evening of lazyness and pleasures, even bract was crunching under their steps and birds singing hidden in bushes and atop of trees, butterflies sleeping, waiting for the artificial dawn to come while fine Irish live music was playing through the night.
She no longer wearing the cape, only a semi-transparent Middle-Eastern style scarf covering her bare arms above the top, making her beauty rather exotic than weird. Beside him she could be herself again, no matter how many people was staring at her.
For her there was only Cody.

National Acrobat

'I don't care about the stick' he said to her, reassuring her.

He was very happy during the walk. It was amazing how they could make such places appear in space aboard a huge ship. It was like bringing large pieces of home with you. He had loved her outfit, and to any onlookers, they appeared to be a normal, happy and loving couple, which in Cody's eyes, they were. He positively beamed as they walked together.

Shia

However, when they finally settled in the comfortable seats, waiting for the movie to begin, some laughing-crying classic, suddenly it came down to them:
this was their first real date.
Imma cleared her throat a bit as she read through the short description of the program before lights went off, while other couples cuddled up close to each other, many sharing kisses, others just holding hands - she burried herself into the long row of actors' names, squeezing the paper nervously. This teenage girl style only making her more adorable.
"Oh, that's interesting, I've never known it was actually him playing the role of the count..." - she muttered, adjusting her necklace, swallowing hard then.

National Acrobat

Cody was nervous, probably for the same reason she was. He'd not been on a date in a very long time, work had simply not allowed it, but more than that, he was afraid of making a bad impression on her.

So he did as she did, reading the program, and watching the screen intently. He had goosebumps on his arms from being nervous. However, she looked so beautiful in her outfit, that he couldn't resist putting his arm around her.

Shia

Imma got so surprised that with a gasp the small sheet of paper slowly fell on the floor, like a lonely autumn leaf, dancing to the right then to the left and so on until it touched the ground...
"I..." That was all she could say, before planting a nervous little kiss on Cody's lips. "I'm happy." She finished the sentence then and by the fifth minute of the movie her head was resting against her love's shoulder just like any other young women's all around.
And when the catharctic peek of the story came, the heros struggling in the depths of their emotions... her palm slowly slid above his heart, grabbing his shirt, only a bit, she hardly dared to take a breath!...

National Acrobat

'I'm sorry' he said when she dropped the paper. He hadn't mean to startle her.

He felt the nervousness in her kiss, and smiled to reassure her. They were like any other couple, and soon, they were snuggled up next to each other, enjoying the movie and the warmth that they brought each other. The movie, to him, was fascinating. It made him look at things in a different light. When she clutched his shirt above his heart, he placed his hand on hers, and smiled.

'Imma, my sweet Imma' he said quietly, the love in his eyes shining bright.

Shia

This time her kiss wasn't nervous at all. It was passionate. It was deep. It was the most her lips could ever promise as their fingers entwined - her neutral ones with his warm ones, future with past, bitter with sweet.
"I love you..." Imma whispered again, like so many times in the past few days, like she was affraid she looses him, like she was scared that this magic might be broken.
The movie was almost end and telling the truth she hardly focused on it anymore, the remaining parts of her living body demanded something completely else...

National Acrobat

'Mmm' he said, mumbling into the kiss. 'That was very nice' he said to her, smiling as they broke the first kiss. 'Wow' he added, his breath a bit faster. 'I love you too Imma, my sweet Imma' he said to her. He had forgotten about the rest of the movie as well.

Shia

Once they reached "home" from the Chinese restaurant, to Imma's quarters this time, there was a strange vibration in the air, those gentle little sparks transforming into something else since the last time they arrived back here, arms folded.

After a drink and a little chit-chat on the sofa they actually found themselves somewhere else. In the bedroom to be exact...

- CUT :) - 

National Acrobat

It had been several glorious days between the two of them. They had re-connected on so many levels, and both were in very high spirits. They were practically inseparable, and spent every waking moment together, and every sleeping moment together as well. Cody was in heaven, life had never been so good. He was happy, finally and truly happy.

That was, until Imma happened upon him reading a letter as he was coming to meet her for lunch. The scowl on his face was quite noticeable, even from across the room.

Shia

Yes, it was too nice to be other than a pink cloud of illusions, too beautiful to be real, too wonderful to last long... With a trembling heart she still tried to keep optimism, because that could be a letter from his parents as well, right? Or from an old friend...? Perhaps an issue that had nothing to do with them. It must be!...
Imma pushed the dessert he liked so much closer to his hand.
"Maybe this will help. Whatever it is." She smiled, waiting for the light kiss, the way only he could greet her.
But truth was her sixth sense, that was perfectly unharmed, already told her: it'll hurt, it'll hurt much.

National Acrobat

'Hi beloved' he said, leaning over to place a kiss upon her cheek, then one upon her lips, as he sat next to her. 'Mmm' he said, taking the offered treat. 'This letter has interupted my solace. It seems that there has been an accident in the Tugachi Sector, and all available surgeons are needed. I was nominated of course by the Chief here, and have to ship out within twelve hours' he said to her. The look on his face was one of anger, and sadness. 'I will be gone for a few weeks' he said, sighing, taking her hand.

Shia

"For weeks??..." Imma frowned sadly and it was like he still saw that scared and upset look on her face, despite of the constant pale blue glow of her seeing device.
"But..." She was almost unable to speak, her fingers closing around his hand desperately. "that sector of the galaxy is one of.. one of the most dangerous places!.. I.. I could talk to Doc, right!"
For her their chief was also a beloved a relative, a trusted friend, the main supporter of their relationship.
"Perhaps I could ask him to cancel your mission...?"
The reality that was waiting for Cody was unpredictable from the cozy dining hall of this giant ship which was like a grey galactic whale drifting across the Universe, always neutral and perfectly peaceful, at least from the outside.

National Acrobat

'It is, it looks like there was an industrial accident, many lives were lost, and they are trying to save as many as possible' he said, obviously pained by the implications of being apart from her for even a day, the burden would be heavy on him. He'd just found her after a couple of years, and was not ready to leave so soon.

'You could but we know what he'll say to you, that 'duty is duty' and all that, plus the usual line of we have to do our jobs first' he said to her, squeezing her hand in his. He placed another kiss on her cheek.

'Unless of course he decides to send you too' he added.

Shia

"I'm not a surgeon... but I'll try." She smiled at him and pulling his good hand to her face she planted a gentle kiss on his palm then held it against her own face.
"I'd rather walk into the middle of danger than to be apart from you even for a day.. my love." Her voice trailed off, trembling - somehow they both felt their parting was inevitable.
Hours left, a cruel sentence...

National Acrobat

'I know, I feel the same. All this time, and now, to have this happen' he said, although he wasn't very hopeful that it would happen. No doubt that with some of their staff gone, the need for the others to stay behind was going to be more imperative. He had a look in his eyes that said it all. He never wanted to leave her side.

Shia

But he did - and she didn't join, she couldn't. The pediatric unit was in the middle of a huge developing process and Imma was one of the most efficient cathalysts of it, simply by being there and giving her best. No wonder, a successful woman's enthusiasm is contagious especially if she's in love.
As for Cody he promised and she made him promise that he'll send a message or try to contact her every day - to let her know he was safe and alive. This was the best part of her days, to return to their quarters and wait, perhaps he logs in and they can make video contact. Though this happened rarely, he was busy and soon at the edge of exhaustion, only her words kept the light for him and the strength to wait as crisis in the sector only expanded and those weeks turned into months without a warning in advance - by now their team was under the direction of the army and no longer an extension of the medical services...

National Acrobat

To say he was bummed, was an understatement. While he'd harbored no illusions that she wouldn't be able to go, he was hoping that perhaps some sort of exception had been possible. It wasn't. They had spent the last few hours before he left wrapped in each other's arms, doing little more than cherishing being together.

It was hell where he was. Constant work. The planet was important to the army, it was where a lot of natural resources were mined to build their biggest weapons, and most sturdy ships. It had a huge strategic impact. Needless to say, the accidents that plagued them while construction occurred on the mammoth refineries were gruesome, especially the originating call that brought him here, where the first plant exploded.

As it was he constantly sent her emails, and video conferenced with her, spending every waking moment that he could communicating with her. He only hoped that when he returned, she would be waiting for him.

Shia

But when it finally happened, after almost four months and leaves in the artificial park of the Endeavor patiently began to turn into warm yellows and reds of autumn their quarters welcomed him empty, except his own belongings and those that were the landmarks of their phoenix-relationship.
Otherwise she was gone, every bit of her was gone and all remained clean and untouched, perhaps for long weeks by now, a scaring image of order and pedantry in their usually cozily chaotic nest.
And no answers.
His e-mails printed and together with the recordings of their chats systematized but left behind just like those movie tickets on the door of the fridge or the maps of their short trips when both of them had a day off...
The place of their seemingly lost happiness rather reminding of a museum now, 'Here lyes Imma and Rich, may their souls rest in peace'... 

National Acrobat

Worried didn't even begin to describe his mood. He'd thought things would return to normal when he came back. The silence was maddening, and when the ship docked and he came aboard, naturally the first place he went, was sterile and cold. She was gone. The stack of communiques and letters, printed out so neatly was like a cold slap. Where was she? What had happened? If she had transferred, surely she would have told him?

He wandered around in a daze, trying to check any records he could find, but to no avail. Finally, he went to see Doctor Keller. Perhaps he could shed a light on the situation. Hopefully.

Shia

"Son, I'm so sorry but you must know I'd be the happiest if I was allowed to tell you where she left."
Doc was almost the same demolished by her leaving, pale and seemed at least ten years older, as he was rubbing his face leaning against his elbows on the huge desk. Even his office felt larger and colder now - much empty, without the giggle and black jokes of Imma, without the long chats of the trio into the night and beside some good wine, without him telling old stories about the family they shared with her.
"But.. she was begging me not to tell you, no matter what, she made me promise that I won't..."
With trembling hands he was searching for a cigarette - and this was a very bad omen...
"Though..." The elderly man picked something else from the drawer as well, not only the fragrant tobacco and the lighter to stretch his over-stressed nerves a little.
"I've kept this.. One can never know..."
And with a weak wink he handled Cody her pager, with all the numbers she received calls from.
"I'm sure they talked much with her sister recently.. That's the most how I can help you."

Slowly he rose from his leather seat, tired and broken, stepping to the young man and patting his shoulder.
"Please.. please, son, if you manage to contact her.. please tell her that...... just tell her that I love her." 

National Acrobat

'She....left?' he said, stunned. He couldn't comprehend. They were so happy. Had he not been transferred, they would have been together. His mind was racing. What had he done?

'Did she say why?' he asked, taking the pager. He couldn't believe it. 'Anything at all?' he asked Dr. Keller, unable to believe the news. It hit him in the gut. He felt like he'd been stabbed and left to die. It was horrible.

Shia

Keller took a sip from the cigarette but immediately let out a harsh cough - he wasn't used to that and none of them was used to missing Imma.
"Use the pager. That's what I beg for."
Conversation was quit - and the small tool hid all the untold rest...

National Acrobat

'Alright' he said, rather dejectedly. Glumly he left, and went back to their quarters. He sat down with the pager, and start to thumb through the numbers. Finding the one that seemed to be called the most, he wrote it down, and fumbled for his communicator, and when he found it, he entered the number and called, and anxiously awaited for a voice to be heard on the other end. His stomach was full of butterflies at this point.

Shia

It was somewhere back on Earth, it was like calling not another galaxy but another dimension. While his request found the target minutes passed and nothing else could be heard than an annoying buzzing which was like the million languages of the Universe mixed together.
Then a bit sleepy but definitely awake female voice answered.
"Isabelle Simmons, yes?"
Bingo! It wasn't the best certificate about the parents giving their daughters names beginning with the same letter but what to expect from those who worked for money and reputation all in their lives and payed little attention to the one Cody loved.
Her sister was slightly luckier as she came eight years earlier when the successful lawyer and the politician who was slowly but surely crawling higher on the level of fame weren't so busy. But still Isabelle became an arrogant and shallow personality, spinning in fashion trade, consuming two husbands already - yet her voice sounded patient and kind now.
"Hallo...?"

National Acrobat

He waited patiently. It was nerve wracking to say the least. The crackle of the lines made him nervous.

Finally he heard a voice, and it was similar to Imma's. He felt the butterflies in his stomach.

'Hello? I'm trying to reach Imma' he said simply.

Shia

First there was only silence as a response, for a second he could even think Isabelle simply quit the line in her anger... But then he got an excited sigh in return for his laconic request.
"Rich?? I mean Doctor Richardson??"
There was relief and joy there, mingling in her soft voice.

National Acrobat

'Yes, it is Doctor Richardson' he said calmly. He was wondering why the silence. He was hoping that maybe something was about to be revealed, something that would help him find Imma. Perhaps her sister would be sympathetic to him.

Shia

Her voice brightened up a little.
"Cody, I.. I really don't know what to say I..."
But here another person's muttering could be heard.
"She's calling you again, ma'am..."
"I'll go..."
Isabelle replied to her and returned to the doctor, shortly.
"I'll send you the coordinates. Come any day but in the afternoon, please.. Take care, Cody..."
The neutral buzzing returned, leaving only more question marks hanging in the air between he and Mother Earth.
What sort of secrets this uncomprehendible distance was keeping? Sure Imma's sister did the most she could do, she was more than 'sympathetic', she practically went against her sibling's will, revealing their exact location, somewhere at the place of the former Southern-France, called the Mediterranean Region now, just right next to the sea. The place Imma was telling so much about -their grandparents' house-, how she took long walks along the shore when she was a child, collecting shells, playing in the sand. So she was there again, the circle closed...

National Acrobat

'Alright, I will' he said and then she was gone. The connection was gone. Doctor Keller had told him to find her, so that meant he had the leave to do so. He waited for the coordinates, packing very lightly to that he could leave soon. He purchased a ticket on the first transport back to Earth, his stomach all aflutter. What had happened? She left without at trace. That wasn't like Imma. Something must be wrong.

When he got the coordinates, he left. He couldn't get there fast enough, and he would worry and fret the entire time. There was also the puzzling thing about coming in the afternoon. What did that mean?

Shia

She must have been a beautiful and vivid young woman once but on the day of his arrival Isabelle Simmons was simply a tired woman in her early fourties, her noble face now carried the same marks of exhaustion as Cody's - her hollow cheeks and the grey shades under the almond shaped eyes once Imma had as well told about possibly many nights spent awake recently and much much worry.
"Thanks God you are here..." She leaned against the visitor's chest, folding her arms around his shoulders for a few seconds.
They were standing at the terrace of the enchanting "old school" house, that still had a peaky roof and windows that could be open manually. Weather evoked the doctor's memories of a mild summer as here even winters weren't cold only cool. Seemingly the rich vegetation took an advantage of this and inhabited this friendly land with a wide scale of colours and shapes, only this relatively small part of the estate reminded of a complete garden... and the garden itself was pretty expanded. A few exotic birds were jumping and tweeting excitedly in a large cage against the wall, peeking at the stranger curiously.

"I'm so sorry that I couldn't speak longer on the phone but it's... so hard, so hard for me.. for us... Imma is here, you're right, but first I think we should speak. I've just arrived home, I must catch up with work in the mornings.. fashion is a cruel slave-driver.. but now we could take a walk on the shore, if you agree...?"
Of course, he had to agree. There was a reason why they could chat only shortly before and the same reason had to be the one that urged her to leave the house together with him first.

National Acrobat

What a stark contrast. He knew he looked bad, hell he was very tired, and full of worry, but even as they were surrounded by the beautiful scenery, it was apparent that something was weighing heavily upon Imma's sister. No doubt, it had everything to do with Imma. He had a sense of dread building up in him, that something terribly bad had happened, and that instead of letting him know, she'd just up and left him, alone.

'I am here, although if my senses are correct, she would rather that I not be. It was very hard. She said nothing, left nothing, not even a trace' he said to her, motioning that they should walk. 'Please, lead on' he said to her.

Shia

Isabelle took off her slippers and let the still warm sand flow between her toes as they were heading paralelly with the constantly changing line of water drawing strange, disappearing forms on land.
"Yes.. I understand you.. But her too..." Wind was playing with their hairs, caressing their faces with salty kisses. "There are still things I can't tell you but I tell what I'm sure about."
She stopped looking into his eyes but then beyond his shoulders just like she was searching for solace farther, in the infinite...
"Two months ago Imma began to complain about allergic symptoms. First doctors told her it was because stress and that you've left to one of the most dangerous places possible. They prescribed her mild sedatives but for some reason she refused to have those and asked for a complex examination. She got it...... Cody..."
Isabelle placed her palm on his shoulder again, but this time in an encouraging way, the elder's strength to a younger one.
"She's lost the implants..." The woman who changed so much, from the hiding family member into a caring motherly figure swallowed hard. "And also her sight. There was... an auto-immune process destroying her body without any sign.. I'm so sorry, dear..."
And she didn't have to add that she knew how much he loved her sister...

National Acrobat

He listened, and understood. He was a doctor after all, and he'd known that it was a possibility, even Imma had known it would happen. It was the way it worked. Cyborg technology was far from perfect, and in some cases, was still in it's infancy as far as a viable means for keeping people alive and mobile. He had looked through many of the Medical Journals discussing the cases. So, he was prepared somewhat for what he'd heard.

'What about the rest of her that's survived. Forget about the sight and her artificial limbs. How is the rest of her body?' he asked.

Shia

Isabelle squeezed both of his arms with a relieved expression. The boy was still there - and it meant something. Something that was probably the best for her sister, no matter how much she tried to exclude him from this whole madness. Love is love.
"Don't worry, she's all right. Only very bored. Recovering quickly from that threathening condition, they caught it in time, thanks to Imma's awareness. Soon.. slowly.. she'll be ready again to try another material, fitting her metabolism more. Till then.. I'm here, you can count on me. You know... throughout the years I spared a whole rich... But I stayed alone... When she had that accident.. I couldn't think of anything else than how much I can't face her with her.. new body... Yet now... I don't know, it's like.. loosing my silly pink glasses. And it's better without them." She gave him a soft smile and caressed his arm.
"Let's go in, it's time for you to see her, you've waited long enough, I think..."

National Acrobat

'Wonderful. I thought I had lost her' he said, relief, frustration, anxiety and love all in his voice. He was still a little annoyed that she hadn't told him about it though. When he had promised to love her, he meant it, no matter what happened. He still held to that, although he was wondering why she had deserted that promise.

'I am glad she was here with you. I feel a lot better knowing that. I am ready' he said, clasping her arm. Was he? He knew he was, but he was unsure of what Imma would say. Would she even accept him again. Part of him was afraid of losing her, so soon after making the connection that had saved him.

Shia

Her special, water-bed was standing in a smaller, cozy room that opened directly to the back terrace and a breathtaking view of the Mediterranean Sea. But even without the sight of it air and the constant murmurring of waves was something fascinating.
Imma was slumbering peacefully under the covers, her unruly hair now put into two long braids, ornated with fresh flower heads, and an angelic smile playing on her lips under the light bandage that encircled her head at the level of the eyes.
Through the radio some serious expert was talking about the possibility of re-creating ice caps at the poles of the planet - this was so much her. While the nurse Isabelle payed was reading a magazine close to the open window, waiting for the patient's next wish she drifted away from here&now with some exciting scientific discussions.
Noticing Cody's arrival the small Asian lady politely bowed, at least three times, then disappeared from the room without a sound like some sort of fairy aunt...

National Acrobat

The sight of her brought an instant smile to his face. It was a warm smile, that was pure adoration and relief. It was like being lost for a long time, and finally finding your way back to where you belonged. He entered the room, and all was well in his world, for at least the moment. She looked so peaceful, he was glad of that.

He was aware that she would be upset, probably annoyed and shocked to find him here, but he also had a sneaking suspicion that had she really wanted to disappear for good, she would have tried harder. He had to laugh at the radio program. It was pure Imma, and that brought another smile to his face. He took a seat while she slept, and simply watched over her.

Shia

Around an hour later her head moved slightly and she licked her lips, gathering strength to speak, returning slowly into reality, surely from a better place as her expression mirrored a sort of disappointment.
"Mimi...? May I get something to drink?..." She asked quietly, still sleepy but counting on the nurse's reassuring presence... which was actually replaced by Cody's now.
On the nicely carved wooden table close to her bed there was a cup of mild tea with a straw in it, waiting for further use.
Flowers in her shiny hair, a snow-white nightgown peeking out from under the blanket... Imma looked like she was the lost princess of this place, held in captivity, cursed to stay motionless, but her master invisible, called loneliness, called sickness. Hope seemed to leave her quite long ago...

National Acrobat

Quietly, he got up and moved over to get the drink for her, and held it in his hands. He moved over towards her, intending to place the straw where she would be expecting it. He didn't say anything just yet, not wanting her to avoid drinking. He knew full well that fluids were important, especially when convalescing in a bed. She could hear him move, that would tell her that her request had been heard, and hopefully, she would drink. He was also afraid of what her reaction would be.

Shia

Taking the straw into her mouth slowly Imma soothe her thirst then just relaxed against the comfortable bed that was in a half-sitting position now that late afternoon wrapped the rooms into soft, golden lights.
"I was dreaming... Again with him... We've been.. so, so happy... And it seemed.. that will never end... Do you know this sort of love? When you.. know for sure that he is.. the one?..."
She tilted her face back, towards the warm presence on her left - something started to feel strange for her, definitely...

National Acrobat

He smiled.

'Yes, I know that kind of love' he said softly to her. 'It is what keeps me going, even in the darkest days' he added.

Shia

Imma turned her head away from him, gasping without a sound, silent 'no'-s forming on her sweet lips - where could she escape? There was no further way to slip away from him, the land ended here and all that began in front of her was empty space, nothing, edge of the rock.
Then crying shook her. "Please!..." She trembled. "Go away! You're not real! You can't be!"
Her firm voice was to the demon that was circling around her like a winking cat, because Cody... he couldn't be real, that was impossible!

National Acrobat

It was the reaction he was expecting. She had wanted him to go away forever, which hurt. It hurt badly. He didn't flinch though. He loved her, he was real, and he wasn't going to let this happen to her. She couldn't shut herself away forever.

He placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. 'Imma, it is me. It's not a dream. I am here, here for you. Here for us' he said to her. 'Millions of miles of space couldn't keep me from you, and you know that, deep down inside' he said, his voice warm and gentle. 'I am here, and will be. Unless you want me to turn around and leave forever. If that's your wish, then I will, as much as it will pain me to do so' he said.

Shia

Slowly she rubbed her cheek against this half dream-half real hand.
"What.. what do you want from me.. like this?? I don't even know how you look at me, Rich..."
She muttered quietly with a full nose, this very earthly need only adding to her miseries.
"Isabelle is naive.. And believes too much in romanticism.. Even without a husband..."
Imma still wasn't fully aware of his real-ness, only rested her weary thoughts against his skin, talking to a ghost. Perhaps she was enjoying the sweet numbness of some antidoloricum.

National Acrobat

That stung. Had she forgotten what he said not so long ago?

'What I want is you, Imma. Do you not recall me telling you that to me, you were beautiful, smart, witty, charming and full of love to give, no matter what? Have my words disappeared from your mind so quickly? You know that to me, you are beautiful. I stand by that, as I stand here, now, by your side. Isabelle is not naive. Isabelle knows how much I love you, and how much you mean to me. My very soul felt like it was ripped out when you stopped communicating, and when I found out you had left without a word, my whole world seemed to crumble' he said, his voice trembling with emotion.

'I never wanted you to leave' he said.

Shia

"Kiss me..." She turns back to him with a bittersweet smile, more calmed or just more numb, her confusion must be over the bearable and this makes her soul so distant, so fragmented, like it was only a dozen of pearls rolling on his palm, here and there.
"Kiss me first.. then lift up the covers. Please..." Imma's voice trails off as her lips are waiting eagerly for his, like it was the very first or the very last time and they were the only two left standing in the collapse of thew world as we know it.

National Acrobat

It was as if the flood gates opened. He leaned down, his hand on her shoulder, and kissed her lips. It was sweet bliss for him, just as it was the first time they had kissed. It was a sweet, gentle, caring kiss that turned into something more not long after it started. His heart was pounding in his chest.

He kissed her again, this time with even more fervor and meaning,  and then lifted the covers as she had asked.

Shia

Imma was pregnant.
This could be clear for his physician-eyes immediately. She just smiled and tilted her head to its side, close to him, speaking really softly.
"Meet our daughter. She's fighting too, to stay with me. With us... Fourth month, in the middle of it. One more and I can let go the largest part of my worries.. That I might loose Her..."
The words felt like tender little caresses around her growing belly which she couldn't do any other way.
"They wanted to take Her away from me.. Speaking about my health and my so called 'condition'.. But I so so wanted Her. More than any other dream in my whole life! Your child, Rich.. Our child.. Just think about it..."
She kissed the side of his face solacingly, invisible tears rolling down on her face, making her sniffle with no limbs to ease her needs.
"But this might takes my life, that's the story..... And that I need a handkerchief. Also two hands would be useful." She tried to make all this a little lighter for him, as the most wonderful news of her life probably was the worst of Cody's.

National Acrobat

If he was surprised before, he was very surprised before, and if she thought that he'd be upset, she was wrong. His hand went to her stomach, to touch it tentatively, to caress it where their child was growing.

'Oh, Imma' he said, leaning down to kiss her stomach. 'I, wow, that's amazing. We'll be fine, you'll be fine, we'll all be fine. Me, a dad, wow!' he said. He knew that she was worried about her own health. 'We'll be alright. We will make sure that we're all here, to be a family' he said to her, getting a tissue for her and wiping her face. He leaned down and kissed her, and laid his head against her stomach.

Shia

"Never say never..." The young mother giggled, at last!, still so moved in her heart, as she kept on smiling to the blessed little hill of her body and to the man she loved more than her own life, just like wrapping her arms around them, The Two.
"Doctors said we made a miracle, Rich.. It seems our love doesn't know obstacles. Quite literally."
And just as Imma finished the sentence... Somebody kicked into Cody's cheek gently, just like returning his great love already, in a very special way.
"Ahh!.. You've felt it??"   

National Acrobat

That sound of her giggle warmed his heart, and was a joy to hear. It was a good sign, and no doubt, the first time she'd giggled in awhile.

'It's wonderful. I would have never dreamed it possible, but to have a child with you, it's amazing' he said, and he felt the little kick. 'Ooh, spirited and determined, just like her mother' he said, his hand caressing her belly.

Shia

"All right, 'kids', time for the afternoon walk..." Isabelle entered quietly, pushing a wheelchair in front of her that had the same water-lining as the bed, not to put pressure on the carefully bandaged and strengthened body.
"Do I really have to?..." Imma turned to her sister and gave her a grimacing little smile, like she was a five year old girl, forced to eat dinner - though she knew these short excursions along the shore two times a day saved her spirit and filled her lungs with the most healthy air.
"Well..." The elder sister caressed her hair, planting a kiss on the smooth forehead. "Cody can do it. Perhaps he can make it.. more 'interesting' for you...?" The woman gave the doctor a pander wink.
"Congratulations to your child, by the way." She squeezed his shoulder. "So many news in one day..."

National Acrobat

'Walk, on the shore? Absolutely. I think that would be splendid' he said to the pair of them. 'I'd be delighted to' he said, taking the wheelchair. 'Is there anything I should bring? A drink, blanket to sit on?' he said. He stepped closer to Imma. He grinned at Isabelle. 'Thank you. It's good news' he said. 'Alright, let me help you into the wheelchair' he said to Imma, preparing to take her on the walk.

Shia

When they stayed alone and he lifted her in his arms carefully, her light and yet growing weight their hearts were beating so close to each other again, and also the Third Ones'.
"Rich.. If I die.. Promise me you'll raise our child without anger..."
Her face that still looked beautiful, despite of the linen bandage was still now, like the infinite water itself.
"I need to know this.. I only need this..."

National Acrobat

He held her gently in his arms, drawing strength and warmth from her. He kissed her cheek, then her neck.

'Of course I would. There would be no anger. Sadness, yes, which would be inevitable, but anger, no Imma. No anger' he said to her. 'I would raise her to be strong like her mother' he said, holding her a bit longer, before setting her in the chair. 'Now, let us be off to the shore. I hear the waves, and they are calling us to come listen to them' he said, placing a hand on her shoulder.

Shia

As he entered their quarters in the evening, a much bigger one they got after they both became Doctor Richardsons, the full laughter of Doc welcomed Cody from the living room where Imma spent her days, resting on the large sofa as she was practically unable to move from her belly by the middle of the ninth month.
"Honey, is that you?" She rose her voice only to hear him reply, her need to feel her husband close grew extremely intense now that the moment of her delivery could find her any time.
Her voice was cheerful too, it was a blessing Keller spent as much of his time here with her as he could while the proud soon-to-be-father was working in the daytime to keep his little family safe and to spare some money - it's gonna have a good place to go when their daughter arrives. Also to make himself busy, not to go nuts from the restless waiting. The stake was his love's life...

National Acrobat

'Yes dear. Another long day of work behind me, now I am home to relax with my lovely wife, and her lovely belly' he said to her, setting his lab coat aside, and moving over to give her a kiss. 'How has the day been? Anything that you need me to do for you before I plop down right here next to you?' he said, laughing. He knew once he sat down with her, it might be pretty hard to get up after spending all day on his feet.

Shia

"Just stay here, son, I'll prepare some fine dinner for you three." The elderly man winked at Cody and patting the young woman's shoulder he left for the kitchen with a happy whistling.
They had nothing to worry about until Doc's wise eyes were at them, and Imma got her ones too, at least those the wonders of plastic surgery could create for her, giving her back some of her lost beauty: they were sea-blue just like those she lost. And to complete the effect there was a beautiful mandala painted on her bare belly, smiling with vivid colours and ancient shapes to give protection to their little girl, also for the mother.
"Yes, yes, just rest here together with us, you deserve it, and please tell me fresh news from the hospital. Gossips too, I need those!" She giggled, her cheeks full and healthy, perfectly ready to give life... at least on the outside.
Isabelle was soon to be arrive too to stay together with them and also their favourite petite-polite nurse was around, later to stay as a babysitter, almost as happy as she was waiting for her own grandchild to be born.
Imma's days weren't boring anymore with Doc's company and the job she took as an pediatric expert for a magazine, answering hundreds of letters written by worried parents from every corner of the Earth, where later they planned to settle down in the old Simmons House.

National Acrobat

'Thanks Doc' he said to Doctor Keller, and he sat down next to his wife, and smiled. 'A long day indeed. You wouldn't believe the gossip between the nurses' he said, rolling his eyes. 'It's like a soap opera, all the complications of their lives' he said, laughing, and he filled her in on all the gossip and news of the day, not leaving any of the details out. He rubbed her belly a few times, and kissed it, and when no one was looking kissed her neck and ear as well. Even though she was pregnant, his desire for her had never waned and he was a very affectionate husband.

Shia

In the middle of the night Imma was still lying awake on the large double bed - a new and worthy symbol of their life together as husband and wife, a soft and comfortable island where they were often daydreaming about their future, and especially: about the baby's.
Her instinct whispered to her that he wasn't asleep either and so she turned to him, rubbing her cheek against his bare shoulder.
"We should decide about the name at last.. It's getting closer and closer..."
Her large belly was always at the wrong place by now, pressure on her spine made it hard for her to find the right position to rest and so she almost always ended up like this, contemplating instead of sleeping together with Cody.

National Acrobat

'Hmm, how about Imma?' he said, smiling. She looked so lovely in the glow of the night light. 'I think that your name would be very nice for our daughter' he said to her. 'I could have two Imma's in my life' he said, grinning. He rubbed her belly gently, Imma had such a lovely glow in her pregnancy. It was such a beautiful sight to behold.

Shia

She treasured every time when her husband or another family member -including Mimi- borrowed their arms to her so that the Baby could enjoy some pampering even before her birth - which She almost always returned in her own, boxing style way, especially by now.
"How about.. some sort of mixture of our names?.. Like.. Corinna?, for example..." She smiled playfully to him, kissing his lips lightly. "That way She would literally be the fruit of our love."
This was so good, the closeness, the warmth, those teasing little sparkles still in the air between them, belly or not belly.

National Acrobat

'Mmm, that would work, it has a very nice ring to it' he said to her, smiling. 'I like that idea, of two joining to become one' he added as she kissed him lightly. He rubbed her belly some more, and kissed her some more. He decided to get up and shut the bedroom door, then came back to the bed, and gave her another light kiss. 'Hmm, I seem unable to sleep, and unable to keep my hands off of you' he said, dimming the lights.

/fade away to morning.

Shia

The oncoming weekend felt like a gift of heaven, they still had a few days left until the delivery and re-discovering each other's essences again filled Imma's being with a new sort of radiance which was the glow of a mature woman and also: the mother's. Even her desire to retreat was gone and it was she who initiated to go to the spiritual gathering on Sunday, then to the park, just the three of them, and listen to the music there, country this time and she knew exactly how much it meant for her husband.
Take me there, take me there... she smiled and giggled to him in the morning, speaking about the smell and sound of rustling autumn leaves on the ground, pleasantly chilly air as the 'best make-up for women'... and yet there was that unmistakable fear of the unknown in her voice - the thrill of doing things for the last time... 

National Acrobat

It was uncanny the way things had come together. The week was literally a whirlwind of activity, all centered around the family. The weather had cooperated to the extent that Cody was starting to think that some divine providence had interfered to give them such a week. When they had decided to go to the park, he'd packed a picnic lunch, and brought a few special desserts and snacks as well. It was a good day to sit on a blanket, with a few pillows, and be lazy and take comfort in each other, the warm weather, and of course, some music.

He sat there, Imma's head in his lap, eyes closed, the sun beating down on them.

Shia

Therefore it came as a complete shock when she finally came up with what was a burden on her poor heart for weeks if not for months, while a slow song was played, making many couples daydream in each other's arms, some of them dancing, others sharing kisses around them.
Okay, she couldn't see that but anyway, how could she talk about thoughts like that now?! And yet it was just right, after all they were parents as well, already under the pressure of multiplied responsibilty.
"Rich.. I was thinking on... leaving the child with you and Isa.. and to.. retreat to a place where they can.. take care of me. Amongst others, in similar conditions..."
Insitute. A stepmother. Parting. So this was the future to face after Corinna's arrival?? It was fact that Aelina whom Imma chose as her doctor couldn't come up with any good news until now but... this idea was too much, simply too much to bear.

National Acrobat

'No, no. Not at all' he said, touching her belly softly. 'We are a family, Imma' he said. 'If anything, I will take care of you, with your sister's help, and doctor. I would rather you be at home, surrounded by love. The thought of you being anywhere else is simply too dreadful for words' he said to her, leaning down to kiss her cheek. 'We are life partners, and that means through everything' he added, reinforcing his earlier words to her that he would be with her throughout whatever life threw at them.

Shia

"But she knows your hands.. And Isabelle's hands.. And Mimi's hands... It's gonna be you who'll actually take care of her. What.. what is that I can give her?? I'm constantly thinking about this, all the time... Is this.. a sign of weakness?? That I already love her so much.. that I could give her to a real mother who.. can express her love?..."
Imma adjusted herself a bit to lean more against his body, to sit up a bit more.
"Cody, I'm serious.. How will we be able to perform this??"
Her second question was almost cutting the mild autumn air with its pure honesty.

National Acrobat

'Imma, she will hear your voice, lay on your stomach and feel your heartbeat, feel your kiss upon her cheek' he said to her, caressing her hair now. 'She will know the love, and that's what is the most important, as she lays in the bed next to you, drawing the warmth and support from you' he said to her. 'You can give her so much, so very much. She can learn so much from you as you recount your tales of your life, and fill her head with thing she needs to know' he added.

'I see what you can give her, and it's a lot' he said.

Shia

She paused for a while... tilting her head to the side and back, just like pondering his words...
"You said Isabelle arrives the day after tomorrow?"
The band on the stage, wearing authentic Western outfits, already changed to a more vivid song and tune, tearing apart those dancing couples but only to sit them on blankets and benches again, making their palms clap following the spinning rythm.

National Acrobat

'I believe so, yes' he said to her. He was holding her close now, arm around her, constantly touching her. He couldn't bear the thought of her going anywhere really. She had a strength that their daughter would need to feel and hear, and to see. It was too important. He thought about all of the things that Imma would be able to teach her as well, with that soothing voice, and years of experience.

Shia

"Okay..." She said, almost whispering, taking a deep breath. "Cause.. in this case.. I think you should tell her tomorrow.. and also call Aelina.. I've just lost water, Rich." She was giggling and trembling at the same time, pressing against his arm as the first, relatively mild wave of pain touched her.
"The water..."
Almost as soon as she mentioned this 'tiny' happening he could feel that too, that quickly expanding wet circle on the blanket, accompanied by the enthusiastic applause of the audience in the park - the band has just finished their production, extra songs were to come now.

National Acrobat

'Oh my, we need to go!' he said, and he gently lifted her into the wheelchair, and got on his phone to call the hospital, to let them know they were coming. He headed back to the house, where they could get into their vehicle. He was nervous as could be, and had to ask Imma's sister to pack a bag for her, which would be brought to the hospital. He tried to be controlled as they made their way to the hospital. Paperwork still had to be filled out in the hospital while they got her ready for the birthing room.

Shia

But she was, of course, much more stubborn than a soon-to-be-father could ever be and days ago got everything prepared by Mimi and Doc -also that first soft dolphin figure they bought for Corrie back on Earth- and this way her very nervous husband only had to throw the medium sized bag into the back of their transporter, so they could take the shortest way to the hospital wing of this giant station.
There Aelina was already waiting for them, right at the entrance and from the very first moment she ruled the situation with her most professional calmness. A natural birth was excluded long ago since the mother was unable to give birth with such a fractured, wounded waist and pelvis. So now their most important mission was to minimalize bleeding throughout the surgery - which Imma had to experience conscious all the time, only without pain. Cody was allowed to sit by her head, squeezing her shoulder and keeping her focused and above the surface, by all means.
Doc assisted to the process with all his lifelong experience and to be the first relative to greet their little girl. No matter how hard Richardson tried to be the one in his role, just to make sure about his wife's condition it was against the code to let him work in such an anxious state of mind and close relation to the patient. So the stool close to the table was his place now.
"Rich??..." Imma turned her head towards the young man once she heard him enter and approach, already in a sterile cape and cap while the leading surgeon herself was still scrubbing in.
Her cheeks were pale now and her heart trembling for the future of their most beloved baby as she was lying there, fully monitored and belly exposed to the sharp lights. Doc was busy with setting the music the parents chose for Corinna - Bee Gees, something classic for a brand new one, but all this spiced with the beautiful sounds of whales, a message of piece and harmony. They were listening to those voices a lot together before and every time the child was joyful and relaxed hearing those. Now her rates seemed perfect too, just like the mother's but everybody knew the latter one could get the worst in any second...

National Acrobat

He'd been glad for her preparations, because she was right in her assumptions. He would have been a total wreck trying to get everything ready to go, and would have forgotten just about anything of importance, but then again, it was usually that way when it came to the dads and their actions at times like this.

Now they were in the operating room, and he was nervous. He tried to distance himself from being the medical professional that he was, and focus on being the doting, supportive husband that he was, and he sat with her, smiling, comforting and warm, all the while soothing her and keeping her mind on all of the positives, while he heard and witnessed the team that was assembled to bring their daughter into the world. He had a mixture of emotions running through him at this time.

Shia

"You've felt this, mommy?..." Aelina carefully made the puncture tests all around Imma's belly to make sure she was numb enough not to be aware of the cuts that were to go deep down into her body.
Yes, she had her own, strange style and manners but she was still the best in the whole surgical unit.
"No, nothing" Her former colleague replied with a trembling tone, focusing on her friend's voice and also on Cody's caressing hand on her temple.
Once again the surgeon leaned closer, giving the patient an extra smile.
"Soon that baby will shout 'hurray' on your chest and you're gonna hear it Simmons. Nothing else matters now, 'kay?"
"You're perfectly right, Doctor Sparks." Doc moved closer himself, saying a few soothing words to Imma once again before Aelina asked for the scalpel and excitement became tangible in the room. Seconds. Waiting...
"Rich...? You remember.. how we met for the first time? The very first time?" She pressed her slightly sweating forehead against Cody's, trying to breathe calmed enough.

National Acrobat

'Of course I do' he said, hands gently caressing and massaging her. 'How could I forget? I remember the first time for everything with you, Imma' he said to her, soothing her with his voice. 'This day will be no exception, the day our first child is born' he said sweetly to her, still touching her lightly, the love in his voice. His concerns were in his mind at this point, not verbalizing them nor showing them to her. He needed to be strong for her, so she could be strong as well.

Shia

And Imma grinned back, rubbing her cheek against his. Whispering "Tell me... Please, tell me about it... When we met in the dining hall, at the University..."
She couldn't have the faintest idea -fortunately- that the loss of blood already painted her face pale and her lips bluish, for her there was only Cody and their love they were about to share with a third one for a lifetime.
Aelina shook her head frustratedly but kept on doing her best, carefully making her way towards the uterus - and sweet Corinna...

National Acrobat

'When we met, I saw you for the first time, and your eyes met mine, and I know I blushed, crimson. I had been caught staring, much like I still do' he said to her, grinning. 'I remember being such a klutz and almost tripping after I finally got up the courage to come and speak to you. You have no idea how close you came to wearing my lunch that day' he added, laughing. 'I knew right then and there that you were the one for me, but at the time, I didn't want to ruin any chance at a friendship, that was the more important thing at the start. Still, I remember how radiant you looked, and still do, the first time I saw you across from me in that crowded hall. It was fate' he said to her. The dining hall had been packed to overflowing, yet that moment his eyes only saw one person. It was as if everyone else had simply vanished according to his mind.

Shia

...She sighed, waiting in the long, seemingly endless queue, glancing at her watch time to time, and when she finally got what she wished to have on her tray the slim and tall young woman rushed to a free table, burrying herself into reading and eating at the same time. Her long veil of shiny dark brown hair formed a tent over her notes, just like everything else vanished around her for the next twenty minutes - now that final exams were approaching a sight of a student like that wasn't a rare thing in the large buildings of the medical university.
She was one of those pretty invisible ones, just jeans and a stretch T-shirt, never a loud word, all in all Imma Simmons rather looked like a hippy who was left behind there, in the distant future to save the world again. But when it was about knowledge and professionalism she was always amongst the bests, invited to the big conferences, having dinner with their professors. Then she faded back to wear the disguise of a perfectly average girl...

National Acrobat

It was too quiet. Cody was starting to get worried, and he could see Imma was fading. He knew he wasn't on duty, and that he wasn't supposed to help, but he felt so helpless at the moment...

Shia

The anesthesiologist's hand quickly moved and after an injection into the branule Imma's expression changed, it was aware and a smiling one again. Sure, she was still in the past though.
"I remember.. how you just stood there, next to the table.. blinking at me like a little boy..." She chuckled weakly to her husband, while Sparks and Doc opened up her belly, revealing warm and vividly pulsating flesh, covering the uterus.
Aelina didn't waste a second and cut on...

National Acrobat

'Of course I did. I was dumbstruck. I hadn't expected you to basically invite me over to sit with you. I thought I had been invisible as I watched you. Little did I know that I had been seen' he said, chuckling. 'It is a good thing that I had enough sense left in me to come over and talk to you' he added. 'Once I heard your laugh as we started talking, I was hooked' he said to her.

They had reluctantly parted, both having classes to attend, but met the next day on their off day at a coffee shop, and spent almost the whole day talking. 'I remember the day in the coffee shop. We made them so mad. All we bought was coffee, and we spent nearly eight hours chatting' he said.

Shia

It seemed Mr. and Mrs. Richardson were able to go romantic even in the middle of an operation - also when it was Imma in the role of the patient. But Aelina simply must quit the charming scene with the very happy announcement - she could pay a few seconds fully to the newcomer while Doc kept an eye on any possible bleeding.
"Look who's here! Wonderful!" She smiled gladly beyond the sterile mask, carefully grabbing then lifting their tiny daughter out from the mother's body and into the air.
Corinna was a bit blue and very very grimy but already moving and strong, with an expression of complete contempt for this cold and noisy world on her wrinkled face.
Imma almost tried to rise from the table in her anxious excitement.
"Is she OK?! Rich?! Is she all right??!" 

National Acrobat

'She's beautiful, and looks just like you' he said, a few tears sliding down his cheeks. 'She's absolutely gorgeous, and she's already wrinkling her nose, complaining about her arrival, just like a good baby should' he said, caressing his wife's hair. 'She's lovely' he said, in awe and wonder. He was a dad now. A father. 'She's wonderful, just like her mother' he said, kissing her cheek. 'Once they get her cleaned up, we'll start the introductions' he said.

Shia

But one thing was left - Imma heard Sparks' cheerfully urging sound to his husband as she was crying in happiness herself - a nurse already covered her chest with a towel...!
"Wanna cut what must be cut?" She held up the navel string for the proud father while an intern was ready to handle him the scissor.
The whole scene was so magical, so ethereal that Cody couldn't even notice what a hard work Doc was doing to stop the mother's bleeding as soon as it was possible, nor the anasthesiologist's efforts to keep her awake and oxigenised enough...

National Acrobat

'Oh, of course, although I am trembling so much from joy, I need to calm down a bit' he said, overwhelmed with happiness. He was so blissfully unaware, but he took the scissors and cut the cord, finishing the birth process, and he leaned down and kissed Imma while the nurse took the wailing bundle of joy over to be examined and cleaned up before she was dressed.

Shia

Wisely they let the grimy cover, the last memory of the past nine months on their baby dry into her paper-thin skin and they only took her away for the few quick examinations but as soon as the tiny girl welcomed them with an orcanic cry a nurse returned the nestling to the proud father, only wrapped in a clean sheet, a serial of numbers plus her name around her wrist on a plastic stripe: Simmons-Richardson, Corinna.
"She's all yours know, happy parents, healthy and strong."
Yes, visibly her colour normalized as well and a vivid pink blinked at the world around her from under the yellow-red stains.
"Let me feel her, let me feel her...!" Imma's weakening voice was begging, the woman trying to lift her head from the table, while Doc and Aelina shook their heads in the same frustrated and angry way...

National Acrobat

He took their daughter, and even though she was swaddled up, he pressed her cheek to Imma's and then lay her gently across Imma's upper chest and neck, so the pair could start to bond right away. 'She can feel you, and you her' he said, choking up with joy as his daughter and wife introduced themselves to each other for the very first time.

Shia

Weakly like a ghost she lifted her chin a little to give a shelter to her baby girl, smiling through invisible tears of joy... but then her face tilted to the side and the monitors showed how Imma's heart stopped suddenly.
"Damn it! Cody, take the child away!" Aelina ordered him and the pads to shock the unconscious patient were already in her hands, charging up with an almost silent buzz.
"Damnitdamnit!" She hissed as the nurses exposed the mother's chest quickly. "Simmons, you can NOT let us down! Understood?!... Clear!"
But the few first tries were in vain - Corinna nestled to her father's chest squeaking, her beautiful little face straining into a grimace of fear...

National Acrobat

The color drained from his face as he took his daughter, cradling her gently in his arms, even as his wife teetered on the brink. Cardiac arrest had set in and now the OR was a whirlwind of activity. He couldn't leave, but he backed off, tears starting to well up, even as he held the bundle of joy close.

Shia

Aelina and Doc didn't pay attention to the freshly formed duo of them any longer - their everything was now the mother, her broken body lying seemingly lifelessly on the table, the sterile sheets covered by drops of her blood here and there, mementos of her struggle that's just finished to give life to her child...

"And.. you'll always come for me like this from now?" The little girl, blonde and blue eyed just like her father was grabbing the slowly moving woman's free hand as they were walking away from the School Unit, directing their steps towards the nearby Park, just like every time when it was about returning home.
While her long white cane was carefully scanning the ground in front of them the mother placed one foot after the other, haltingly yet confidently using her seemingly rigid legs that were covered by a long jeans skirt - turning her head towards the child with a smile as this strange question of her happy daughter hit her ears.
"I hope so. Never again I want to see a power chair." She giggled and squeezed the small hand in hers gently. "You know, when we meet Daddy soon, I'd like to tell something very important to the both of you..." She kept on smiling with a mischievous expression. "Sweetest, will you tell me when you see Daddy?"
The kid, brightened up from the news of an oncoming surprise and such an important mission, jumped in the air though still holding onto the artificial limb that was covered with a very skin-like material, said a loud "Sure!" , almost pulling the blind woman after herself, only to reach there earlier and hear that secret!
"Oh, angel, please, slow down a little, Mommy can't follow you like this, okay?"

This was Imma and Corinna Richardson five years and three type of implants later, as the hospital's beloved teacher and her daughter were walking hand in hand in the afternoon, soon in a most charming Spring as they finally felt soil under their steps...

National Acrobat

Cody's life had been saved that day. His wife, and his daughter had both made it home, safe and sound. Imma had several surgeries ahead of her, but she had lived, and was determined to live to see their daughter grow into a young woman. It had been a tough road for the first few years, but he'd never change anything about his life. Imma had recently received her new implants, and life was good. Things had settled down, and they had security and stability now.

He was going to meet them, and he could the golden-haired girl walking along with her mom, who was walking again by herself. It made him proud. He'd never wanted her to give up, and that had been rewarded. They were a real family now, fully, in every sense of the word.

He sat down, waiting for them to appear. He knew the game very well.

He was supposed to be 'discovered' so that Corinna could announce to her mother that daddy had been 'found'.

Shia

Of course, by now she knew their usual meeting spot very well, even without her but with pleasure she let Corinna enjoy her discovery to the fullest when her enthusiastic "He's there!! DADDYYYYYYYY!" echoed through the fresh and green area. From then Imma was almost 'flying' after her daughter but she tried to make her own steps as fast as she coud - speed was one of the thing she had to get used to, but for her family everything was worth.
"Then let's greet him" was the last sentense she managed to say before Corie's gallope began, through the caressing grass, right onto her father's lap.

National Acrobat

'Ah, there she is, my favorite munchkin' he said, hugging her tight as she bounced into his lap. 'And who is this lovely lady that has come with you' he said, holding out a hand to his wife, urging her to sit next to him. He kissed her, and smiled. 'What a lovely day it is now' he said, glad to see the pair of them.

Shia

"Here, here, Mommy, you sit here" Corinna was the most eager to help her once she covered her father's proud cheek with the softest of kisses.
She understood well that one of her parents was different and helping her mother she never found as a burden - for the family never took that as a burden.
Imma willingly let their little fairy guide her and always said thanks with a wide smile. So small, and already so filled with goodwill, like those blonde curls were actually from Heaven together with her heart of gold... she thought again. Like she was the best part of their best parts, the crystal of their essences, the perfection of their biggest hopes.
The young woman caressed back her long loose hair and folded her arms around Cody's shoulders, kissing him with the same sparkles.
"How about making it even more lovely?" She gave him a playful smile and pulled out a flat paper box from her side bag, handling it to her husband. "Open it and watch."

National Acrobat

'Hmm, how can I refuse such an offer?' he said to his wife, giving her another kiss after she had kissed him.

'I hope everyone has had a good day?' he asked. His daughter and wife smiling simply lit the place up. He was very happy.

Shia

She playfully punched into his husband's arm with her elbow.
"Hey, won't you open it??" She giggled and wrapped around Corinna with a kiss on her crown as she climbed atop of her thighs, pressing her small back against her chest - heart against heart, their very first meeting repeating itself throughout the years, carrying the same joy.
"Yeaaah! Mommy has something to tell!" Their daughter was riding on Imma's lap, more excited with every passing moment. "Openitopenit!" The crystal blue eyes sticked to the box demanding.

National Acrobat

'Of course, Of course' he said, smiling. 'I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge my lovely ladies and their day' he said to her.

He wasn't sure what to expect, but he opened it. 'Opening it now' he said to her eager to see what had her so excited.

Shia

"Ta taaa" Imma said softly when she heard the box opening and the fresh and shiny book being pulled out of it with the greatest of care.

LIVES & CHILDREN
A bunch of /more or less/ useful tales

written by Imma Simmons Richardson

"This is..." Moving closer she leaned her head against Cody's shoulder and also tightened her embrace around their dearest. "my confession of love to the both of you.. They published my writings and.. it's been possible mainly because of you. So.. thanks for inspiring me."
Corinna gave a bit confused look to her mother.
"What is 'ins-pir'??"
The woman rubbed her nose against hers and kissed her forehead, her long hair covering her daughter like a soft veil.
"It means: giving wings to somebody. A great gift. To help somebody making dreams come true.. Like Daddy did to me.. And you did to us."

National Acrobat

His face lit up with a bright smile, and tears rolled down his cheeks. 'That's wonderful dear' he said to her, smiling and touched. 'So very wonderful. I am just glad that you gave me the chance to love you. I would not be the man I am today, without you' he said, kissing her cheek. 'I feel like the luckiest man in the universe, to share my life and love with the two of you' he said, hugging both of them tightly, as if he were afraid to let them go.

Shia

Imma blushed a little, her heartbeat speeding up, that he could feel even through her wool springtime coat.
"Is there.. a place for a third one?" She chuckled, her own invisible tears making her voice trail off as she pulled out a blurry image of 'something' from her pocket and carefully pressed it against where Cody's hand felt to be...

National Acrobat

He was about to say something when it registered with him what she had just said. He had that stupid grin that indicates he was both stunned and happy at the same time. 'I, sure, I mean, wow!' he said, taking her hand in his and taking the blurry image from her other hand. 'Really? I mean, wow!' he said. He hugged tight.

Shia

"Ab-so-lute-ly really!"

There were a few lazy lines written on the other side of the soon-to-be-a-recognisable-baby image.

'You are right. Carrier is nothing.
Congrats again, daddy. Wow, this was quick! ;)

Aelina'

"I think Aelina just sent you a short message with the picture.. She said.. the thing she likes the most in our family is that we always produce things unlikely to happen." Imma chuckled and rubbed Corinna's back who was watching this early image of her sibling with the same curiosity as her father did. "She also said: with this one we can fully enjoy the heights and depths of laboring if we wish so."
Their daughter turned to face her then glanced at Cody.
"Hey, who's this in this picture??"

National Acrobat

He was still in shock, but a good feeling indeed.

'She said we can do normal child birthing? Really? That is wonderful news' he said, and that should say it all. She was medically cleared, which was joy in and of itself.

'I am so glad. I wanted always to have more than one, for Corinna to have a sibling. It's like a dream come true' he said to her.

'We need to get a bigger apartment' he said.

He looked at his daughter. 'That is your baby brother or sister' he said, patting Imma's belly. 'Right now, they are sitting inside Mommy's tummy, until it's time to come out and meet everyone' he said.

Shia

On the first page there was the dedication 'To Cody and Corinna, to Corinna and Cody', then an artistic black and white photo of the three of them, almost just like now, sitting under a large tree, entwined in touches and in their love for each other, smiles shining even through the paper...
And below a few lines from the author.

Quote'I don't count the days of my life like: before the explosion and after the explosion.
I count them like this: before we became one and after that.'

Soon rain began to pour, soft and gentle, urging them to return home. Home.

~ THE END ~

:)

The Perfect Storm-Yours Forever