[CURRENTLY FULL] Return Of The Old Guard (Superheroes, Mutants&Masterminds 3E)

Started by TheGlyphstone, March 12, 2015, 12:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

TheGlyphstone

Sure - the psychic archetype comes with:
- a telepathic sixth-sense,
-telekinesis
-telekinetic armor
-flight
- telepathy/mind reading that can also be used to generate illusions or mind-blast enemies.
-Can swap the psychic illusion ability for a mind control effect.

That's a pretty good spread of offensive/defensive abilities, and comes with a very strong Will defense against mental effects.

Angie

I do kinda want to experiment with making my own, just to get a feel for the system (and using premades, to me, feels like cheating). I'll probably be basing it off the Pyschic Archetype though, and I do like how she has a lot of stuff she can do-I'm also not a fan of heroes that have one answer to everything ("What do you do, Cyclops?" "I shoot it with my laser...")

TheGlyphstone

That works too- one of the nice thingsabout the Archetypes is that they list how much everything costs. So if you don't like, say, the telekinetic flight, you can strip it out and have 10 points to spend on something else.

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 12, 2015, 02:23:48 PM
That's 3 in favor then, 1 ambivalent,and 1 undecided, so I guess M&M is in!  Help is available at need for creation.

PL10, and the standardized 150 build points for initial creation - if your character is over 60 years old and takes a bonus Complication related to your age in some way, you can start with a flat additional 10 build points (total of 160); I think that sounds like a fair boost in exchange for playing to the intended theme of the game. But before anyone starts crunching, I do want to discuss character concepts so that everyone doesn't end up playing the same thing.

Concept - Gadgeteer  (steampunk style)  How I see the 40 year soccer mom in regards to her taking up the mantle of being a cape crusader with the alien invasion.   Is as Sarah Ross (Mary-Louise Parker) of the cinematic comic movie of RED.    How she fits in with the old timers.   

Angie

Ooo, since I did make a few mentions of X-COM, can my character have some kind of military background? I don't think I've ever made a military man/woman before ever, and if we're going new, go all out!

Elven Sex Goddess

Advice on the rechargeable battery concept -  I am thinking to represent this to take with my  powering the gadget,  with the flaw tiring.    Does this sound feasible and plausible in regards to the concept.   

eternaldarkness

Oooh! I want in! I love supers games and I have a few great concepts for this! If it matters my vote is for M&M as I know it well and I loathe FATE utterly (its too ambiguous and lacks the 'crunch' I like for superhero games.

Character concepts-wise I'm thinking a former masked vigilante a'la batman who disappeared around the time heroes began retiring whose disappearance went unnoticed because no-one ever knew his identity and was actually captured and experimented upon by the aliens currently invading. His powers will be alien-induced mutations that do basically what his old tech did anyway, complete with an organic cape that is a mass of tentacles!

TheGlyphstone

QuoteOoo, since I did make a few mentions of X-COM, can my character have some kind of military background? I don't think I've ever made a military man/woman before ever, and if we're going new, go all out!

That sounds great - I could see the military being a career for someone with innate powers but no cultural sense of them being anything special. And it'd give you a bit of seeming authority when dealing with civilians and/or mundane military, which could be quite useful as the story grows and resistance gets stronger.

Quote from: Elven Sex Goddess on March 12, 2015, 05:21:06 PM
Advice on the rechargeable battery concept -  I am thinking to represent this to take with my  powering the gadget,  with the flaw tiring.    Does this sound feasible and plausible in regards to the concept.   

Sure, that works fine - though looking at Tiring and how Fatigue works, you'll probably want to create your gadgets with only some of their ranks as Tiring, to represent a low-power and high-power setting; otherwise you'll be spending Victory Points like candy just to avoid passing out. And as for how you recharge - if it's bio-electrical in nature, it could just be tied directly to your metabolism. That'd fit the Tiring flaw thematically, and let you recover by eating a lot of food.

Quote from: eternaldarkness on March 12, 2015, 05:38:58 PM
Oooh! I want in! I love supers games and I have a few great concepts for this! If it matters my vote is for M&M as I know it well and I loathe FATE utterly (its too ambiguous and lacks the 'crunch' I like for superhero games.

Character concepts-wise I'm thinking a former masked vigilante a'la batman who disappeared around the time heroes began retiring whose disappearance went unnoticed because no-one ever knew his identity and was actually captured and experimented upon by the aliens currently invading. His powers will be alien-induced mutations that do basically what his old tech did anyway, complete with an organic cape that is a mass of tentacles!

The aliens only showed up about 6 months ago - heroes started retiring 50-60 years ago, so the events weren't really related. But aside from that, your concept is oddly prescient to my plans - the aliens do capture humans, one of the low level mooks you'll encounter are infested humans.

I could see a batman-esque masked vigilante who tried to stage a solo attack on the invaders, failed due to the inhibitor field and was captured, but escaped partway through the infestation/experimentation process (Heroic Willpower!) and is now using his alien bio-tech grafts against them. Does that work for you?

Batman4560

I am familiar with second edition but have no clue about third. :(

TheGlyphstone

Batman4560

TheGlyphstone

Not yet. Before we start crunching, I want people talking about their character concepts to make sure it will all fit together as a team and make sense in the setting.

Batman4560

I actually have an old character I am going to try to de-level and convert over.

TheGlyphstone

Which is what the concept/discussion phase is for. No point in doing the de-leveling/conversion work if the character won't fit into the game. All you've said so far is 'speedster/assassin'.

Batman4560

Yeah, I wanted to make sure on the system we were using fist. I'll for sure be using a speedster with some sort of luck control if it works. An Irish Cowboy from the land of eternal youth. Traveled with Gypsies to learn his control over luck and manifested the ability to fire blasts from his finger tips a sort of "Spirit Gun".

TheGlyphstone

Okay, that's a start. Now how old is he, and how/where does he cope with a world whose technology has rendered superhumans obsolete?

Elven Sex Goddess

QuoteSure, that works fine - though looking at Tiring and how Fatigue works, you'll probably want to create your gadgets with only some of their ranks as Tiring, to represent a low-power and high-power setting; otherwise you'll be spending Victory Points like candy just to avoid passing out. And as for how you recharge - if it's bio-electrical in nature, it could just be tied directly to your metabolism. That'd fit the Tiring flaw thematically, and let you recover by eating a lot of food.

I agree,  I was thinking the same thing.   An I also was running along the lines of bio-electrical in thought.   Through the metabolism did not,  like it.   As for the tiring,  I have been pondering the idea of tying a rank of tiring on the effect of activation to use the  item.   A unique situation as its applying it to another flaw such check required or activation roll.   That as the gadget powers up she infuses it with her bio electrical.    It only be like -1 pt gained from the tiring effect.  As I am not looking to crunch numbers, but instead looking to build the character close to the concept being envisioned.    So after it is powered up for the scene,  as in using her force field it be lost of 1 fatigue but using the blaster to channel my bio electrical into a beam with the mattel master blaster it be -1 every time I fired it.  Or the Wrangler anti grave harness would be like the the force field for the scene or for as long as in flight.   Once set down would need to reactivate.   

TheGlyphstone

Well, you have a lot of options for representing that sort of 'drain' effect.
-You could go with levels of Tiring - say, a Rank 12 energy blaster with 6 levels of Tiring on it; you'd be able to fire Rank 6 blasts freely, but every Rank 12 blast you fired would cost you a level of Fatigue. This works for something that draws directly from your energy supply whenever you activate it, tacking levels of fatigue rapidly or demanding Victory Points to stave it off.
-You could attach a Side Effect: Weaken or Side Effect: Affliction to it, making you test vs. Fatigue/Exhaustion/Incapacitation when using or trying to use it. This could be something that has a fluctuating power supply- maybe built-in capacitors that can store power, but need to recharge them from your body, and might end up drawing too much at an inconvenient time.
-If you want more potential gadgets than you can power at a time, but want to be able to switch between them, that's exactly what Alternate Effect Arrays are for - so the anti-gravity field might use the same control circuits as the force field, letting you either fly or have extra defense up - stuff like that.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 12, 2015, 07:27:38 PM
The aliens only showed up about 6 months ago - heroes started retiring 50-60 years ago, so the events weren't really related. But aside from that, your concept is oddly prescient to my plans - the aliens do capture humans, one of the low level mooks you'll encounter are infested humans.

I could see a batman-esque masked vigilante who tried to stage a solo attack on the invaders, failed due to the inhibitor field and was captured, but escaped partway through the infestation/experimentation process (Heroic Willpower!) and is now using his alien bio-tech grafts against them. Does that work for you?

hmm. nah, that would change the feel I was going for too much. I think I'm going to just come up with something else.

TheGlyphstone

Alright, no rush. I plan on giving this until Monday for people to express interest/propose concepts/discussion interactions and histories, then pick the combination I think will work out best overall. So plenty of time to brainstorm.

What was the feel you were going for? Knowing the intended outcome helps me make better suggestions.

Muse

Am I not too late to express interest, then? :) 

Did you decide on Mutants and Masterminds? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, the overwhelming preference was for M&M, so that is the engine. I'll settle my craving for FATE another time.

And yes, you can still express interest - post up a concept/draft and we can hash it out. Recruitment will stay open till Monday, and anyone who doesn't get in originally will go on the reserves list to replace people who have to drop out.

Elven Sex Goddess

I have the concept put forth of the 40 year old   gadgeteer    I've notice a vilgante type banter about with a  Batman feel which means gadget concept character to a degree.   I also see more energy type characters.   I am good with that,  So to balance the party is now thinking more in lines of a 90 year old ex heroine.   Who is actually a A.I.  construct.   Been living as a normal human.   Likely with a transient job.   With the advent of the tech that rendered cape crusaders pointless.   The A.I. slipped into obscurity and anonymity fitting right in with all the new fangle  tech that enhanced people.   As a transient job,  a trucker.       A quasi martial artist/brick type.   A heavy hitter in the thick of drawing the firepower and blows of the bad guys.   Of course  she don't look ninety,  she looks more in her late twenties to early thirties.   

Anyways another concept put forth as were brainstorming to help round out the party if it gets too top heavy in one direction.   

TheGlyphstone

I don't think the alien-hybrid Batman concept is on the table anymore, Endless Darkness decided it wasn't going to work. So you don't have to ditch your soccer-mom gadgeteer just yet, though I also like the robot bruiser.

Are you posting from a phone or something? Your spacing/syntax looks really weird there.