Recommend me a blog?

Started by Izu, May 12, 2011, 02:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izu

Okay, so I'd like to start a new blog, though I want it to be off E (mostly because I want to make some fancy layout x'D ). Anyways... So... which is better blogger or wordpress? I suppose it would be best if it's on its own host, but I cannot afford buying one right now, so my only choice is to use one the blogging sites.

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Lilias

I'm a dedicated fan of WordPress. Even the free layouts are highly customisable, and the dashboard (and stats) have spoiled me for other platforms. Plus, it's easy to migrate to their self-hosted service, if things change for you later.

Feel free to have a look at mine (link on my wiki); my PM inbox is always available for more clarifications, if you like what you see there :-)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Vekseid

I do host blogs for people who are willing to make a regular commitment to them. : ) Only in Drupal, though.

Izu

No idea what Drupal is. o.o; And... mh... I'm a newb and a n00b when it comes to blogging, so... I'm not really sure whether I'd be able to attract much traffic...

Caeli

I have no experience with Blogger, but I have used Wordpress (though not extensively as Lilias). From a coding/aesthetic perspective, you have a lot of options: most themes will allow you to supply your own header, and a fair number of them are simple enough that you either don't need one, or the most important part of that (your title/subtitle) are text, and are not dependent on the image. You can't customize CSS unless you're a paying subscriber, but I've found that with the wide number of custom layouts you can use, you have a lot to work with.

I also like that you can remove and choose which widgets and menus you want to have on your blog. Everything from links, to tag clouds, to calendars, to syncing with your social media accounts (Twitter, etc.). Really great way to customize your blog without CSS.

I will also echo Lilias' positive review of tracking visitors. I don't generate a lot of traffic for my blog, which doesn't have much of a thematic focus, but it's still fun to see what people look at. :)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Rhedyn

I've used both Blogger and Wordpress. Blogger first for a couple of years until I began having issues with being able to access the site and update my posts with ease. I then switched to Wordpress thanks to some advice from a couple of blogging friends and have found it to be far nicer to use. The dashboard is easy to navigate and has many more options for customizing different aspects of your blog, it is pretty simple to use and in my opinion looks more professional. From someone who has used both I would recommend Wordpress.

Izu

Thank you all! ^__^ I'll stop on WordPress for now. *nods*

Nadir

Blogger has a habit of deleting gay blogs, so as much as I use to like it I'm boycotting it.