Welcome to The Salem Institute of Magic! - [ Recruiting!! Adults now Open!!][HP]

Started by Codexa, April 15, 2016, 10:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceTheCat

Leaving this here as my WIP!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

The Basics

Full Name: Isaac Barlow

Nickname:

Birthday/Age: 18

Blood Status: Pure Blood

House: House Essex

Year: Senior

Wand: Carved Larch | Selkie Whisker | 11 inches

Patronus: Yes – German Shepard

Apparation License Yes

Physical Appearance

Description: Isaac is 6'4, with a broad muscular build and curly dark hair. He has pale blue eyes and stubble wrapped around his cheeks, under his nose, and along is chin. When he walks he stands up straight, however he tends to keep his head down so as to give the illusion that he is a bit shorter.

Positive Traits - Strong, Considerate

Neutral Traits - Boyish, Proud

Negative Traits - Domineering, Impulsive

Distinguishing Features: Isaac has a small scar along his right ear, after accidentally blowing it off when a spell backfired on him in his 4th year. Other than this, he considers his size and height to be his most distinguishing feature.

Delving Deeper

Personality: Isaac is a fun loving, dedicated student at the Salem Institute ever since his first year. He comes from a well respected family of Wizards who have accomplished great things in the history of his lineage, so he feels as though he needs to be as successful. Fiercely competitive with his friends, Isaac tends to define himself by the accomplishments of himself and his peers. This extends past the academic realm. Though he would not be the first to suggest going on a impromptu adventure, he usually never discourages it. Believing that these sort of experiences are what forge the truly legendary Wizards and Witches.

Isaac is not, and has never been the smartest person in his class. Usually he makes up for it with straight determination and practice. What he lacks in a gifted mind he usually makes up for with skill learned via hard work, and a humble demeanor. However, as his brothers and sisters, as well as his parents and grandparents were thought to be 'gifted', he is extremely self-conscious about his average (to slightly above average) level of intellect.

Isaac enjoys being in positions of authority. Not because he likes to tell people what to do, but rather because he frankly thinks his grounded mindset and compassionate attitude makes him a good tutor or teacher.

History:

The Barlow Family dates all the way back to England Roots. While they have sired several generations of incredibly gifted and well respected Wizards, the Barlows have not been known for positioning their descendants in to key positions of power. They are regarded as one of the "high class" families, ones that host large parties and carry influence because of their name, history, and impressive accomplishments as a Pure Bloodline since the early days of organized magic societies. Not because of their direct positions of responsibility. They are an immensely proud family who impress upon their children the importance of keeping excellence, especially in regards to anything that could harm the reputation of their family.

Eventually Isaac Leer Barlow would grow of age to enter the academic field alongside his twin sister, Rachel Barlow. From the very beginning of his career at the Salem Institute Isaac has been absolutely determined to become a student who the Professors would consider a "cut above the rest". Knowing that he could not accomplish this through brains, he instead focused on raw study and discipline to make the grades required to be noticed by both his peers and Professors. Primarily in the interest of holding true to the honor demanded of him as a male heir to the Barlow dynasty.

With the dark events that have taken place in the Wizarding World over the last several years, Isaac strongly believed that it was crucial for him to learn everything he could in regards to Wizard related combat. Focusing the majority of his academic intent on the Advanced Dueling and Defense Against the Dark Arts.

Rachel Riah Barlow | Senior Student at Salem | Twin Sister | Pureblood | N/A
Caroline Maeven Barlow | Head of Immigration at the Ministry | Mother | Pureblood | Business Related
Henry Corin Barlow | Head of Ministry Bank (Retired)| Father | Pureblood | Business Fame

A Little More

Academic History: Isaac has shown an aptitude for Charms and Charms, with an average performance in most of his other classes. He has replaced most of his Core Classes in his 6th and 7th year of school with Advanced Classes.

Likes: Professional Quidditch, Dueling, Muggle TV, Drinking, Cowboys and Westerns, Swimming

Dislikes: Superiority attitudes, Muggle Transportation, Curfew

Habits | Mannerisms:

Custom Magic Creation: Isaac likes to dabble in creating his own unique spells and potions. His primary focus is on water-based transfiguration and spells. This is primarily due to his wands affinity for water-based magic, and that he is a member of House Essex

Practice Room: Isaac believes he needs to spend more time than most students practicing. This was especially prominent in the first 5 years of his term at Salem Institute. Now his go-to hangout for any kids wanting to hang out after curfew is the hidden practice room that he's been using for the last 7 years. Isaac spends a good deal of time there, and can usually be found inside.

Proud Family: Isaac's main 'button' is anyone who insults his family line, or members of his family (particularly Rachel). He usually ends up challenging school members to a duel if this happens, even upperclassmen when he was younger. He has spent a lot of time in the medical wing.

Teaching: Isaac loves to teach new students, regardless of their house.

Fears:

Death: Specifically the death of his family members.
Hippogriffs: He has no good reason for his aversion to the beasts. Isaac just feels extremely uneasy around them
Deatheaters: Up to this point Isaac has never encountered a Wizard who fought him with the intent to kill.

Extras:

Theme Song: WIP

Notes:  WIP

* Added traits
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

CurvyKitten

Quote from: TheHangedMan on April 17, 2016, 11:11:12 AM
Hi Curvy! Good to see you around. How have you been?   :-)

Been pretty good actually. :) And Hello!

Also
Leanna decker reserved for CurvyKitten
[b][color=purple]Leanna decker[/color][/b] reserved for [i]CurvyKitten[/i]
Melissa Clarke reserved for CurvyKitten
[b][color=purple]Celebrity Name[/color][/b] reserved for [i]CurvyKitten[/i]

Praxis

Alright.

I was given some insight.

Thanks Rebs.  *fist bump*

I'll be looking to write a sophomore.

Alex Pettyfer reserved for Praxis

Character sheet incoming Monday.

BruceTheCat

“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

MistressofPen

Since first reading your proposal, I've been doing my research.  Will it matter that I've not read the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them? (It's currently out of stock, but I've ordered it.)

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Codexa

Quote from: MistressofPen on April 17, 2016, 02:07:39 PM
Since first reading your proposal, I've been doing my research.  Will it matter that I've not read the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them? (It's currently out of stock, but I've ordered it.)

Nope, you do not need to have read Fantastic Beasts  ;D

@ Curvy - Awesome! Looking forward to reading it. :)

MistressofPen

Quote from: Crash on April 17, 2016, 02:09:11 PM
Mistress - I haven't read it either.

Thanks.  Call me MoP; Mistress leads to trouble.  :-)

Delving deeper into the instructions/information, I see it's not required.  Which, is most excellent.

Codexa

We'll be working on getting a information thread up, as well as an OOC - Accepted Characters - Etc soon. :)

I'll post links when they are finished. :]

Edit: Reserves have been updated.

---

With the movie coming out in the future, I kinda want to read it now... >.>

Crash

Quote from: MistressofPen on April 17, 2016, 02:43:24 PM
Thanks.  Call me MoP; Mistress leads to trouble.  :-)

Delving deeper into the instructions/information, I see it's not required.  Which, is most excellent.

Sure thing MoP!

MistressofPen

Quote from: Codexa on April 17, 2016, 02:33:06 PM
Nope, you do not need to have read Fantastic Beasts  ;D

@ Curvy - Awesome! Looking forward to reading it. :)

Thanks.  And, will you "sort" us or do we pick the house we hope to be in?  (great assumption going on here...  But, I'm working on a character.)

Aiden

Hmmm, sorta want. Might be fun to play as just a player for a change.

Rel Mayer

Quote from: Aiden on April 17, 2016, 03:29:04 PM
Hmmm, sorta want. Might be fun to play as just a player for a change.

Doooo itttttt!!

I have a question:

Are the levels relate able to college ages? For instance, Freshmen would be around 17/18... etc?

MistressofPen

Codexa

Quote from: MistressofPen on April 17, 2016, 03:19:04 PM
Thanks.  And, will you "sort" us or do we pick the house we hope to be in?  (great assumption going on here...  But, I'm working on a character.)

You can choose the house you want for your characters. :) All characters are sorted when they first enter Salem, during their Primary years.

QuoteAre the levels relate able to college ages? For instance, Freshmen would be around 17/18... etc?

Sixteen or Seventeen- Freshman - Basically like Highschool.

Seventeen or Eighteen- Sophomore
Eighteen - Nineteen - Junior
Nineteen - Twenty - Senior
- Would be closer to early college.

I hope this answers your question.

-

I'll be getting more information about classes and the school itself up soon. 

Rebelle

Neon Lynxie reserved for Rebelle

Halsy Reserved for Rebelle

Meh if my coding works that is.. -.-

Anyroad. 

I was going to try and answer questions once I got back from work but it seems Codexa is currently carrying the load :p

However, once again, so super ecstatic to see all of this happening and the interest. 

Rel Mayer

That really does answer my question, thank you! :)

I am thinking about making two characters. Maybe one female and one male, just to balance things out a bit.

Rebelle

Quote from: Rel Mayer on April 17, 2016, 04:06:45 PM
That really does answer my question, thank you! :)

I am thinking about making two characters. Maybe one female and one male, just to balance things out a bit.

Do as you like :)

And where your muse takes you.

(I just think it's kinda awesome my mentor from when I first started here, is now in a game that I am kind of quasi part of(ish))

Rel Mayer

Quote from: Rebelle on April 17, 2016, 04:08:05 PM
Do as you like :)

And where your muse takes you.

(I just think it's kinda awesome my mentor from when I first started here, is now in a game that I am kind of quasi part of(ish))

;) Maybe we should brainstorm something together with out characters, and really blow it out of the water!

Crash

May have to bring an old Hogwarts game character here.  He would fit the States much better.

BruceTheCat

Are we able to give our characters positions in the school? For instance if I wanted to say that Isaac was the Captain of the Quidditch team for House Essex, that sort of thing.

Also, is it alright if players form family lineage houses together and have their characters be related to one another?
- scribus1000

Codexa

Let me ask my other GM's about the positions question, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

aaaand

YES! Creating families with another player, or having them linked/tied to one another is perfectly alright. ^.^ Just keep in mind the rules regarding creation of pureblood lines.

Codexa

Established and High Ranking positions, such as Captains, Council Members etc. Require GM approval, and if we happen to get two or more individuals desiring the same position, we'll do our best to determine who gets the position or spot as fairly as possible.

;D