ST: Flight of the Vanguard (Dir, Sys, Small-Group, TOS-Era) Episode CLOSED

Started by Cyrano Johnson, September 10, 2013, 12:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano Johnson

Pilot Episode: "Death's Other Kingdom"
    The U.S.S. Vanguard is sent to investigate reports of strange visions among the work crews attempting to build a new research station, and discovers a bizarre artifact that radiates weird, haunting phenomena... almost like ghosts. But it turns out that mere ghosts might be the least of their problems...

UPDATE as of 11.05.13: Tagan is confirmed in the role of Yuuna. Welcome!

UPDATE as of 11.01.13: Many thanks to Tagan for her interest in the role of Yuuna. I am pencilling her in for the Role while she takes an opportunity to observe the game.

UPDATE as of 10.30.13: We are enjoying a very successful play of our Pilot Episode thus far (you can see the results of our first three Scenes in the game thread). We are, however, very much missing our player for our Chief Science Officer, who had to bow out. As I didn't want to play her character without her, I generated another character on a similar concept -- her name is Commander Yuuna.

Right now Yuuna is an NPC. However, I'd be open to having a player take her over for the remaining scenes of the game -- the system is structured around Starring Scenes for each player and I'd like to avoid giving Starring Scenes to NPCs if I can. If you'd like to jump in and try out the game concept without a lot of time spent rolling dice and generating a character, this might be the ideal opportunity for you. I will keep recruitment for the Role of Commander Yuuna open until we're ready to shoot our next Scene... probably just over a week. You can reply to this thread or hit me up by PM. Please read the game document before replying, so that you understand the game concept and expectations.

Note as per the subject line: this is a system and action-oriented game. It is a small-group game set in the Original Series era -- that's the real Original Series, not the "reboot" version -- featuring a five-year mission launching in 2265 on a ship other than the Enterprise in a setting imagined in the closest possible accordance with the rules and guidelines of the writers of that television series. The ship is the USS Vanguard, NCC-1685.* The destination... is adventure!

The game will be a directed RP using a micro-lite d20 system called "Where No Man Has Gone Before," in addition to a meta-system of my own devising for PBP games that's designed to speed up the process of getting ideas down by using dedicated "planning threads" to rough out a "scene" before the player "starring" in that scene (rotating so everyone gets equal scene time) writes it up from their perspective.

All the basic game details (expected posting frequency, etiquette rules, details of the systems involved, setting notes and writing tips, background information and character sheets for our core group and semi-regular NPCs) are linked in the game's world-building thread. Prospective new players are invited to read, comment and ask questions.

We have the following positions on the bridge crew:

We started the game in early October. Our Guest Star for this episode is Sonvek of Vulcan, played by bigwad73.

Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

(* A vessel that had an unnamed cameo appearance of sorts in the TOS episode "Court Martial," incidentally.)[/list]
    Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
    Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Ebb

I like the cut of your jib, sir. I think the game document you put together is grand, and really gets across the feel of the roleplay that you're looking to build. I especially like how you're incorporating the old writer's bible and the way that you (and the writer of the WNMHGF system) are striving to take into account the sensibilities and camp of the original show without crossing the line into fourth-wall breaking by the characters. I'm also very interested to see how your meta-system for scenes and shoots will work in practice.

In short, I'd like to register interest.

As far as characters I have no strong preferences yet. Let me ask two questions, though:

1) As in the original series, is it expected that bridge crew will also tend to make up the landing parties, even if that might not make the strictest sense? I think playing a communications officer might be fun, for instance, but not if they only get to show up in 20% of the scenes.

2) Is it a requirement that the executive officer and the science officer be the same person? Or could the executive officer role be coupled with one of the other positions instead?

Cyrano Johnson

Many thanks for the interest, Ebb! To your questions:

1) Yes, the plan is to have the bridge crew go on away missions just as in the original show. This could in fact include the Communications Officer, especially if that character has skills as, say, a trained negotiator or cultural analyst. Much as I have... specific opinions about the Abrams reboot, I admit I do like the fact that they make an effort to give Uhura more to do than be a glorified switchboard operator.

2) We could look at attaching the Executive Officer position to something else if needed, though I'd need to think a bit as to how that would work. The SO/XO arrangement does work pretty well as a fit with the premises of the show and the ship's mission, though, so we'd need to have a strong alternative to justify such a change.

Hope that helps!

Ebb

"Look! I have one job on this lousy ship, it's *stupid*, but I'm gonna do it! Okay?"

Yes, I think I'd like to roll up a Communications Officer who does a bit more than repeat what the computer says. I like the idea of him having a diplomatic / anthropologist side. In general, I'm fond of the idea of splitting up some of Spock's uber-competence and spreading it around among other crew members a little, particularly as a way of keeping this crew from being a carbon copy of the Enterprise's.

I'll take a look at the system and see what's what. Would you like character submissions here, on the world-building thread, or by PM?

Imogen

I'm also interested. That document was an amazing read and it took me away dreaming of the original series. I like how you are looking to man a new ship instead of recruiting players for the familiar names. If there's a hat, I'd like to toss my name in there, please.
    [tr][td]
    [/td]
    [td][/td]
    [td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
    Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [td][/td]
    [/tr][/table]

Cyrano Johnson

Be delighted to have you both, thanks guys. Let's do character sheet submissions by PM for now, and I can post confirmed characters to the world-building thread as we go through the process.

PoppyHoneymeade

I've never played with this particular system before but I think it could be fun :D

I'm having a read of all the rules but count me in as theoretically interested.

What were you thinking of playing Imogen? I'm thinking blue shirt, but whether Science or Medical is still TBD.

arkhos

I'd be very interested as well, happy to fill-in any role that is available. It's OLD-SCHOOL Trek, of COURSE I'd be happy with any role! :)

-ark
    Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

PoppyHoneymeade

Out of interest, the Deltan oath of celibacy, does it apply to everyone or just fellow crewmembers? Or are we not applying that (as it was from the motion picture and we're setting this before that, perhaps some of the shenanigans are why it was brought in)?

I'm considering whether to apply as a Deltan character...

Cyrano Johnson

That's a good question, Poppy. I'd say to think of the Deltan oath of celibacy as a kind of sexual version of the Prime Directive: it's an ethical restriction against taking advantage of "sexually immature species" whether on or off the crew. (Of course, just as there can be circumstances that override the Prime Directive...  O:)) I'll add an explanation of that to the game doc later.

And thanks for the interest, ark! Feel free to put in for any role that takes your fancy, the only one taken so far is Comms Officer.

arkhos

Heheh, I recognize Imo and Poppy from another game I'm in, and I -know better- than to step on their toes! :P

My preference would be for medical, but I am not wed to the position - I honestly would be happy with any of the positions listed, so... ladies first! :)

-ark
    Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

Saria

I have interest. May I bounce a possibility off you? I wonder if you would consider a female (zhen) Andorian captain?
    Saria is no longer on Elliquiy, and no longer available for games

PoppyHoneymeade

If you want medical Ark I'm happy to go science, assuming that wasn't what Imo had her eye on.

-Edited, found it.

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: PoppyHoneymeade on September 10, 2013, 06:01:14 PM
    -Edited, found it.

Groovy!

Saria: I would definitely entertain a female captain. Andorian could be a possibility too. With the Captain role I'll be considering interaction with the rest of the crew as a major factor, so I may be a little more choosy about the details there than I would be with the other roles, but certainly everything is on the table.

PoppyHoneymeade

If the Captain's a human I'm fine with being Science officer and XO, but if she's an Andorian it seems a little odd for the two alien women on board to be the Captain and XO... so would perhaps the Engineer or Communications officer like the task? (I would add the CMO to that but the med staff tend to stay out of the direct line of command somewhat if possible, so they can be objective about whether the CO is fit for duty etc.)

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: PoppyHoneymeade on September 10, 2013, 06:27:00 PMIf the Captain's a human I'm fine with being Science officer and XO, but if she's an Andorian it seems a little odd for the two alien women on board to be the Captain and XO...

This is one reason why I might hesitate about an Andorian Cap. Also, Engineer is a fine second officer in a pinch, but they're typically too critical to the engine room to take on the XO mantle, so I would be unsure about going that route. (An Andorian female Engineer might be pretty badass, however...)

Saria

Oh, of course. The Captain should be the kind of character who will drive the action without overpowering it. I am still reading through the material, but here is what I had in mind:

I had in mind making her rather more aggressive than Kirk (or any of the other captains) - much more inclined to take action rather than trying to be diplomatic or clever, though not at all opposed to be being very underhanded when she spots an opening, which will probably create a lot of "situations" that will have to be dealt with. I figure with her personality, she will usually have to rely on her fellow officers to keep her on the straight-and-narrow. For example, when facing down an alien ship, her instincts will be to eschew diplomacy and strike first without warning, so she will have to turn to her crew for more level-headed options (diplomacy options from the Communications Officer, technical options from the Science Officer, etc.), but once primed with options, she is clever, bold and devious enough to do something entirely out-of-the-box. Of course, the fact that she has to request opinions from her fellow officers doesn't necessarily mean she will be patient about listening to them.

She will also be much more into delegating that Kirk ever was - not just with normal day-to-day ship duties, but in general... which is not necessarily a good thing. For example, she would the kind of Captain who might say: "Hm, that open patch over there looks suspicious and might be dangerous... ... ... you, go check it out - don't worry, I'll cover your back."

I also thought of going with Andorian because I could have some fun with the biology and culture. I don't mean that she will have "secret powers" or superhuman abilities - I just intend to make occasional random comments, quips and non-sequiturs for the occasional chuckle. (For instance, Spock's response when Uhura asked if he ever had romantic thoughts when looking up at the moon: "Vulcan has no moon.") I imagine she will have a general disdain, or amusement, at shipboard relationships ("I can't understand how you can make relationships so complicated with just two partners. We Andorians make it work with a group of four.").
    Saria is no longer on Elliquiy, and no longer available for games

Cyrano Johnson

She sounds interesting, Saria. I like the way that her characteristics as you describe them tie in with Andorian warrior heritage and what you'd expect of a common Andorian temperament.

I'm not sure that one can really dial up to more aggressive than Kirk, or highly-prone to delegation, and still land in the Captain's chair. But shoot me a character sheet and I'll be happy to keep the idea in the mix. It could also be fun to have one of the officers playing the "why the heck aren't you just shooting them?" role on the crew.

arkhos

Working on a Human/Deltan hybrid Chief Medical Officer. :)

If Imo or Poppy decide they want to Med Bay as their kingdom, I can certainly shuffle him someplace else. :)

-ark

PoppyHoneymeade

I think there's a limit on how many non-human characters there can be.

Also Starfleet is kind of new and the Deltan's only joined recently and have rules against boinking other races (what with being able to blow people's minds literally in the dirty way), I'm not sure how likely it would be for there to be a Deltan/Human Hybrid.

It's up to the GM though. Just warning you that they might object.

Cyrano Johnson

Hi: I was prepared to work with the Deltan-hybrid concept but Joslyn has in the meantime submitted a good-looking Andorian CMO character who I'm going to go ahead and confirm. So to save ark and Saria some time I will suggest they maybe look at some different options. Thanks and sorry guys!

arkhos

PoppyHoneymeade

That's a shame Ark...

Saria I love your idea for a Captain, I think she would still work as a human...  :-\  Perhaps she was raised on a hippy commune style colony if you still wanted the being puzzled at the mess the crew make of their love lives?

That being said we don't seem to have an actual Security Chief (or Redshirt of the week with the Red Shirt talent)... might that be someone to add to the list of recurring characters?

Role: Army of Red shirts :P

Cyrano Johnson

There are human colonies with fairly distinctive cultures, like Izar (the harsh world that Garth of Izar came from).

EDIT: Heh, I did consider adding a Security Chief, but wanted to keep the group size manageable so I can keep Scene time equitable for everybody. A Security Chief as an occasionally repeating Guest Star might be doable, though. (I am also seriously considering occasional use of the game's amusing Redshirt Generator tables.  ;))

PoppyHoneymeade