Re-Discovering the World (Exploration/Adventure-Inspired D&D 5E)

Started by NightLux, April 20, 2017, 03:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightLux

Quote from: Bibliophilia on April 21, 2017, 01:52:58 AM
Hi, Night!  -grins.-  I'm totally interested and I'll start working up a sheet.

Name: Kaija Urswick
Race: Human (Variant)
Ability Scores (before adjustments): 8,13,13,12,12,15
Ability Scores (after adjustments): 8,13,14,12,12,16
Class and chosen class skills: Sorcerer 1 | Arcana & Persuasion
Archetype (if applicable already): Wild Magic Bloodline
Background: (include skill and tool proficiencies) Acolyte | Insight & Religion | N/A
Languages: Common, Draconic, Sylvan
Weapons and Armor: Light crossbow & 20 bolts | 2 Daggers
Starting Other Gear: Arcane focus, explorer's pack, holy symbol, prayer book, 5 sticks of incense, vestments, a set of common clothes & a belt pouch with 15 gold
Spells 0- [Cantrips: Acid Splash, Fire Bolt, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation]; 1- [Spells: Magic Missile, Witch Bolt]

Looks like you're missing what feat you got at level 1 and what skill proficiency and one more language.  Also, we'll need to talk about the gods.  Pretty much the only one I've already settled on is Asmodeus because, I mean, its Asmodeus.  Someone has to write all those contracts  ;D
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
RP Status: Seeking new partners
RL Status: Looking forward to my birthday!
Solo Status: 0 (due) / 3 (total)
In Development: 0
Group Due: 0 (due) / 0 (total)
[/td][/tr][/table]

AndyZ

Name: Miranda
Race: Half-Elf - Perception, Persuasion, Draconic
Ability Scores (before adjustments): Strength 8 Dexterity 13 Constitution 15 Intelligence 10 Wisdom 12 Charisma 14
Ability Scores (after adjustments): Strength 8 Dexterity 14 Constitution 16 Intelligence 10 Wisdom 12 Charisma 16
Class and chosen class skills: Warlock - History, Investigation
Archetype (if applicable already): Great Old One
Background: (include skill and tool proficiencies) Custom Background:
Keeper of Dark Knowledge

Skill Proficiencies: Arcana and Intimidation
Tool Proficiencies: One type of gaming set
Languages: Choose one exotic language (Abyssal, Celestial, Deep Speech, Draconic, Infernal, Primordial, Sylvan, or Undercommon)
Equipment: A set of traveler's clothes, a strange black rock that doesn't reflect light, a gaming set of your choice, and a belt pouch containing 10gp.

Feature: Heart of Darkness
Those who look into your eyes can see that you have faced unimaginable horror and that you are no stranger to darkness. Though they might fear you, commoners will extend you every courtesy and do their utmost to help you. Unless you have shown yourself to be a danger to them, they will even take up arms to fight alongside you, should you find yourself facing an enemy alone.

Personality Traits:
I don’t talk about the thing that torments me.  I’d rather not burden others with my curse.
I have no patience for the petty squabbling of those who need to band together when true evil rises.

Ideal: This plane doesn't stand a chance unless everyone can work together. [Good]
Bond: I'm quick to trust and make new friends, but very slow to forgive.
Flaw: Sometimes I forget that the rest of the world can't understand the truth.
Arcana, Intimidation, Deep Speech, Dice
Weapons and Armor: Leather Armor, Light Crossbow with 20 bolts, Two Daggers (One hidden in left boot)
Starting Other Gear: Arcane Focus [Orb], Dungeoneer's Pack, Traveler's clothes, a strange black rock that doesn't reflect light, dice, and a belt pouch containing 10gp.
Spells: 0-[Eldritch Blast, Prestidigitation]; 1-[Charm Person, Hellish Rebuke]

Miranda used to be your average half-elven villager of Fireshine: not always easily understood, but happy to make friends and bridge the gap between her two races.  Talented at dice, kind to everyone, she likely would have just found herself a wife and lived a peaceful life if she hadn't found that rock.

Rumors said that it fell from the sky, but who could say?  She was curious enough to touch it, upon which she vanished in a puff of crimson smoke.  Everyone thought she died, the funeral was solemn, but she returned after a year and a day.

She never told anyone what she'd seen, and people recognized the kind heart deep within, but Miranda had been forever changed.  Apprehension formed upon being outside at dark, she spoke in harsh whispers of "Those Who Live Above In Shadow," and she knew things that no villager could possibly understand.

It didn't take long for her to be exiled.  She was too sharp, too jagged to continue villager life, and after she'd accidentally nearly killed one of the elders during an argument about how best to reconcile with the Gladewalker village, the council felt it best if she leave and never return.  No longer was she Miranda Fireshine, but simply Miranda.

Thankfully, life as an adventurer came to her much more easily in her new state.  She'd never truly liked dresses, and leather armor felt more comfortable, as well as better protecting her from the elements.  Many creatures could not be reasoned with, but the more she traveled, the more she noticed: no one truly understood.  People squabbled like children who understood nothing outside their own little house, unaware of the hordes looming just outside the doors.

The few people she tried to convince either outright didn't believe her or fell into a state of delusion.  She was just strong enough to deal with it, perhaps the only one who could handle it.  It helped that she'd acquired various gifts to protect herself and others, which would only grow stronger the more she proved herself.

What she really wants, though, is simply to be able to make friends again.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Muse

Good morning, am I too late? 

I'd like to reprise Rini, a petite druid girl with a shilelagh and a cat.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Kathyan

I love bards as well but seeing everyone already covered every other spellcaster and as we need front liners I'll be making a cleric with heavy armor ^^

NightLux

Quote from: Muse on April 21, 2017, 10:21:52 AM
  Good morning, am I too late? 

I'd like to reprise Rini, a petite druid girl with a shilelagh and a cat.  :)

Nope, still getting things moving.  More the merrier.

Quote from: Kathyan on April 21, 2017, 10:25:22 AM
I love bards as well but seeing everyone already covered every other spellcaster and as we need front liners I'll be making a cleric with heavy armor ^^

Clerics are my second favorite class.  I really do want them to come out with an archetype or variant that isn't a armor wearer, though...
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Bibliophilia

Quote from: NightLux on April 21, 2017, 10:02:03 AM
Looks like you're missing what feat you got at level 1 and what skill proficiency and one more language.  Also, we'll need to talk about the gods.  Pretty much the only one I've already settled on is Asmodeus because, I mean, its Asmodeus.  Someone has to write all those contracts  ;D

I have her feat picked, there just wasn't a spot on the sheet and I didn't want to change anything without your go-ahead.  As for the language, I didn't know I got another one...so that was me being a dink, as well as the skill.  I'll get that finished up and add in her history and personality today, if you want those squishy bits, too?

Yeah, if you aren't a hundred percent on the gods, I can always change hers.  I just chose the one that best fit her personality. 

NightLux

Quote from: Bibliophilia on April 21, 2017, 10:37:46 AM
I have her feat picked, there just wasn't a spot on the sheet and I didn't want to change anything without your go-ahead.  As for the language, I didn't know I got another one...so that was me being a dink, as well as the skill.  I'll get that finished up and add in her history and personality today, if you want those squishy bits, too?

Yeah, if you aren't a hundred percent on the gods, I can always change hers.  I just chose the one that best fit her personality.

Yeah, that little sheet was to give me the information to plug it into Hero Lab and validate everything.  As many variations as the classes have, I knew I'd miss some stuff.  Feel free to edit that as you see fit.

As for the gods, its really up to everyone.  My first idea was to rip some of the Forgotten Realms gods, rename them and viola!
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Wheeler97

Okay, so I have a dentist appointment in two hours so I'll work on a character when I get home... I'll gladly make a Paladin if we need one... Oath of the Ancients seems particularly fitting for this. Otherwise, if we need a bit more Wisdom in the party I'd really like to build a Monk, perhaps with the Way of Shadow style.

Bibliophilia

I just went with the deities in the 5e book.  Mystra is from Forgotten Realms, though.

NightLux

Quote from: Bibliophilia on April 21, 2017, 11:04:37 AM
I just went with the deities in the 5e book.  Mystra is from Forgotten Realms, though.

That's fine.  For now let's just use those dieties and I'll rename them as I have time.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

NightLux

I'm going to set this down as a marker of everyone who has expressed interested and what they have submitted.  Let me know if I missed anyone.

And before anyone new asks, yes you can still join.  I'll probably break this into two or three groups, depending on what everyone chooses.

• Laughing Hyena (Lord)

• Wheeler97 (Lord) - Paladin

• Snake (Lord)

• AndyZ (Lord) - Miranda , female human warlock (tentacles anyone?)

• RedPhoenix (Centurion) - Rosalie, female High Elf Wizard (ordinarily ordinary)

• LisztesFerenc (Lord) - Leo/Fighter or Oriros/Bard

• Countdown0 (Lord)

• Kathyan (Lady) - cleric?

• Chulanowa (Lord)

• Bibliophilia (Lady) - Kaija, female human Sorcerer (Odds on dropping a fireball on her head?)

• eternaldarkness (Lord) - Artificer or "tanky"

• Muse (Lord) - Druid

One thought after compiling this... do you really want to go dungeon delving and exploring ruins without a rogue?
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Chulanowa

You know what's hilarious? Last night I resolved to myself, "not a rogue. not doing a rogue. Not again, I ALWAYS play rogue"

And now, this morning, I'm like "Hmmm, we could use a rogue!"

So. I guess I owe Biblio $5. I'm PROBABLY making a rogue. Might make a damage-oriented heavier melee.

eternaldarkness

Artificer can actually cover a lot of the same skill bases as Rogue. It's one of those versatile 'do everyting, excel at nothing' classes.

Name: Tykel

Race: Human
Ability Scores (before adjustments): Str 11 Dex 13 Con 13 Int 15 Wis 13 Cha 8
Ability Scores (after adjustments): Str 12 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 16 Wis 14 Cha 9
Class and chosen class skills: Artificer. Arcana, Investigation, Nature, Thieves' Tools, Alchemist's Supplies, Poisoner's Kit.
Archetype (if applicable already): Alchemist
Background: Hermit. Medicine, Religion, Herbalism Kit.
Languages: Common. Elven. Gnomish.
Weapons and Armor: Handaxe, light hammer, light crossbow and 20 bolts. Chain Shirt.
Starting Other Gear: Alchemist's Satchel, Thieves’ tools, Dungeoneer’s pack, a scroll case stuffed full of notes from your studies, a winter blanket, a set of common clothes, Healer's kit, herbalism kit.
Spells: None
Alchemical Formulas: Alchemical Fire. Alchemical Acid. Healing Draught.

Born in raised in a small human town full of fearful and superstitious people, Tykel is an orphan who was taken in by his reclusive aunt after his parents' death by disease. His aunt was a skilled apothecary and alchemist who taught him her art and it turned out that she was a recluse because of the fear the locals had of all things magical. Against his aunt's advice, Tykel moved from her remote home back into the nearby town where he'd spent most of his childhood, intending to use the knowledge she'd imparted to improve their lives. He spent almost a year doing exactly that, until a number of people he'd treated with his healing draughts and alchemical concoctions began to die mysteriously. Accused of all manner of dark magic and wickedness, Tykel fled the town before he could be killed and returned to his aunt's home only to find it burned to the ground with her presumably dead. He now wanders the world in search of greater knowledge, intending to return someday to clear his name, or perhaps to exact vengeance on the ungrateful people who spurned the very people that tried to help them.

Bibliophilia

Woot, I might get five bucks!  I see a turkey and swiss foot-long in my future.

AndyZ

Quote from: NightLux on April 21, 2017, 11:45:53 AM
I'm going to set this down as a marker of everyone who has expressed interested and what they have submitted.  Let me know if I missed anyone.

And before anyone new asks, yes you can still join.  I'll probably break this into two or three groups, depending on what everyone chooses.

• Laughing Hyena (Lord)

• Snake (Lord)

• AndyZ (Lord) - Miranda , female human warlock (tentacles anyone?)

• RedPhoenix (Centurion) - Rosalie, female High Elf Wizard (ordinarily ordinary)

• Countdown0 (Lord)

• Kathyan (Lady) - cleric?

• Chulanowa (Lord)

• Bibliophilia (Lady) - Kaija, female human Sorcerer (Odds on dropping a fireball on her head?)

• eternaldarkness (Lord) - Artificer or "tanky"

• Muse (Lord) - Druid

One thought after compiling this... do you really want to go dungeon delving and exploring ruins without a rogue?

Miranda is half-elf.

I wasn't planning on using tentacles, though >.> I have another game for that.

Quote from: Chulanowa on April 21, 2017, 11:50:00 AM
You know what's hilarious? Last night I resolved to myself, "not a rogue. not doing a rogue. Not again, I ALWAYS play rogue"

And now, this morning, I'm like "Hmmm, we could use a rogue!"

So. I guess I owe Biblio $5. I'm PROBABLY making a rogue. Might make a damage-oriented heavier melee.

I was thinking about Rogue, but I've had this concept for a while and it's darn rare for people to okay custom backgrounds.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Kathyan

Name: Lena Thunderstorm
Race: Human Variant (Skill: Bluff; Feat: Heavy Armor Master)
Ability Scores (before adjustments): Str14, Dex10, Con13, Int08, Wis15, Cha12
Ability Scores (after adjustments): Str16, Dex10, Con13, Int08, Wis16, Cha12
Class and chosen class skills: Cleric of Umberlee - Persuasion, Religion
Archetype (if applicable already): Tempest Domain
Background: (include skill and tool proficiencies) : Customized Pirate - Athletics, Perception, Thieves' tools, Vehicles(land)
Languages: Common and Primordial
Weapons and Armor: Warhammer, Light crosbow (20bolts), Chainmail, Shield
Starting Other Gear: A priest’s pack, Holy Symbol, A belaying pin (club), 50 feet of silk rope, A diary written in a language you don’t know (a random trinket), a set of common clothes, and a belt pouch containing 10 gp
Spells 0-[Guidance, Sacred Flame, Light]; 1-[Bless, Command, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Fog Cloud, Thunderwave]

Personality: To me, a tavern brawl is a nice way to get to know a new city.
Ideal: I’m committed to my crewmates, not to ideals.
Bond: I’m loyal to my captain first, everything else second.
Flaw: I follow orders, even if I think they’re wrong.

Backstory: Having lived all of her life in the wastelands Lena learned to be tough and self-reliant though she grew up in a bandits gang so she learned about teamwork too. Being the strongest she was always in front to cover everyone from imminent danger whenever they assaulted a wagon or razed a hamlet. That was not enough though as one day a long shot spell was cast directly to the leader of the gang, they still won and killed every opposition but their leader fell as well. Lea was heavily shocked by this event and all they could retrieve from the responsible spellcaster was a book written in an exotic language that none of them could understand. With no further ties bonding her to her former group she took the book and departed looking for an answer, she didn't have it clear herself what was she looking for but she did have clear she needed a new master. With the mysterious book in her hands and none of her former teammate being able to dissuade her Lena set her way into the unknown.

Personality: A bad ass and a troublemaker who likes picking up fights yet very protective and even possessive with her friends, very dominant with everyone excepting to her leader whom she will be very submissive to.

NightLux

Just going to keep posting this and updating as we go.

• Laughing Hyena (Lord)

• Snake (Lord)

• AndyZ (Lord) - Miranda , female half-elf warlock (tentacles anyone?)

• Countdown0 (Lord)

• Kathyan (Lady) - Lena, female human cleric

• Chulanowa (Lord)

• eternaldarkness (Lord) - Tykel, male human Alchemist

• Muse (Lord) - Druid

Quote from: Kathyan on April 21, 2017, 12:15:15 PM
...if I could customize my background to make use of the Bad Reputation in a more land related background that would be great though.

I don't see anything in the background that limits it.  People now you're a pirate.  Doesn't matter if you're in the middle of a desert as far from the sea as you can get, they just don't want to risk your ire for petty things.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Kathyan

Quote from: NightLux on April 21, 2017, 12:32:30 PM
I don't see anything in the background that limits it.  People now you're a pirate.  Doesn't matter if you're in the middle of a desert as far from the sea as you can get, they just don't want to risk your ire for petty things.

Ok changed her tool proficiencies to make it more land related, guess she could be called a brigand more than a pirate now :P
Also she might not be great at all with her thieves' tools but can always use guidance to improve her check.

Snake

[Floatright][/float]

Name: Caine Ionoche
Race: Half-elf
Ability Scores (before adjustments): Str: 15 | Dex: 14 | Con: 13 | Int: 10 | Wis: 12 | Cha: 8
Ability Scores (after adjustments): Str: 16 (+3)| Dex 14 (+2)| Con: 14 (+2)| Int: 10 (+0)| Wis: 13 (+1)| Cha: 10 (+0)

Class and chosen class skills: Fighter | Acrobatics, Athletics, Intimidation, Perception, Persuasion, Survival
Archetype None
Background: Soldier (Officer) | Athletics & Intimidation | 1 Gaming Set, Vehicles (Land)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Dwarvish
Weapons and Armor: Scale Mail, Shield, (Total AC: 18) | Longsword, Light Crossbow +20 Bolts
Starting Other Gear:  Rank Insignia, Torn Banner (Trophy, Worn as shoulder-cloak), Deck of Cards, Common Clothes, Belt Pouch (Containing 10 gold), Explorer's Pack (backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit,Soap, Mess Kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it)

Personality:I can Stare down a hellhound without flinching and I believe in being respectful and polite for the most part.
Ideal: I Believe it's better to fight for the greater good than it is to fight for selfish ideals, but everyone deserves the right to follow their own path in life.
Bond: I won't leave a friend behind to die in battle when I could've saved them.
Flaw: I have little patience for unproven warriors or mages

Note: I added two items to the explorer's pack that would just make sense to have, the soap and a mess kit (from PF)

NightLux

Quote from: Kathyan on April 21, 2017, 12:46:30 PM
Ok changed her tool proficiencies to make it more land related, guess she could be called a brigand more than a pirate now :P
Also she might not be great at all with her thieves' tools but can always use guidance to improve her check.

Now that I think of it, brigand probably makes more sense in the world than pirate - more people moving on land than over sea.  Either that or it would be even more brutal since most of the trade is headed into or out of Starfall as its the biggest port by a longshot.  Pirate would probably fight each other just as much as trying to raid ships.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

eternaldarkness

I'm leaning Tykel toward being an effective healer with useful rogue-esque skills who will eventually be able to bring a bit of buffing via magic. He's a good fifth man for any party.

NightLux

Quote from: Kathyan on April 21, 2017, 12:53:34 PM
Might still rearrange some numbers to raise Lena's dex to at least 10 though ^^

Why?  If you're wearing heavy armor it doesn't matter.  You don't detect Dex penalties, page 145.  Don't get bonuses either.  You'd just be slow on the uptake in initiative.  Not necessarily a bad thing for a cleric.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Snake

btw: Sorry about the large pic. I tried to size it down but the encoding didn't work for me. I must've put it in wrong

And I know the pic loopks odd like he's pointing up the sky; but he's supposed to be holdin something like a gun or (in this case) a hand crossbow

greenknight

Adding interest. It'll take me a minute to read through all the worldbuilding and see what folks are playing and offer a character.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking a fairly simple war cleric, goes by Chaplain. Soldier or mercenary veteran for background.

Alt, a bard looking to join the college of valor or a UA ranger looking a hunter archetype.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150