Hmm Discussions on reasons to write a story.

Started by Sherona, June 29, 2008, 03:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherona

Ok I have noticed in my time at Elliquiy that a good many people decide on what to write or not to write due to apparent physical arousal. Which I am not saying is a bad thing ;), but I am wondering if it is the majority. I think perhaps the On and Off list help to push this way of thinking a bit more, "This si what turns me On in real life, this is what turns me off in real life" rather then "This si what I don't mind writing about, this is what I do mind writing about".

Example, many people assume that I enjoy in real life some of the things on my on's list, but I can tell you quite seriously a good bit does nothing for me in real life. Its simply something I don't mind writing about. I write in stories that tend to have a deeply psychological aspect, the more psychology the more interesting I find it. Example my extreme game. I tell you right now that while I do enjoy painplay in real life, it does not include down right torture and mutilation. Yet people see in my O/O that I list torture and vore and gore in my On's and quite often assume that means in real life to.

Trieste

I specifically made a note in mine ... "THese are my particular buttons... but may not be my characters."

I play characters who are straight, bi, lesbian, domme, sub, masochistic, sadistic, vanilla, asexual, swooning damsels and kickass antihero(ine)s. I just love to write... but for me, I'm personally into some things that a few people won't even write about (anal, for instance). So for me, I figured it would give people an idea of what I would write from that angle.

S'my take, anyhow.

Gathering Wilderness

I believe distancing yourself from your characters is a good and healthy thing, sure, let a little of your flavor pour through, but don't let the character be a carbon copy of yourself. After all we are just playing here.

Sherona

Quote from: Gathering Wilderness on June 29, 2008, 05:15:20 PM
I believe distancing yourself from your characters is a good and healthy thing, sure, let a little of your flavor pour through, but don't let the character be a carbon copy of yourself. After all we are just playing here.

*smiles* I was talking more in the sense that people only writing about aspects that turns them 'on'...kind of makes it feel like one is not writing for the story but writing for the physical arousal of reading the story...and no I am not saying that this is a bad thing either. People come to E for many different reasons, I was just wanting to see other viewpoints ;)

Gathering Wilderness

Quote from: Sherona on June 29, 2008, 05:18:21 PM
*smiles* I was talking more in the sense that people only writing about aspects that turns them 'on'...kind of makes it feel like one is not writing for the story but writing for the physical arousal of reading the story...and no I am not saying that this is a bad thing either. People come to E for many different reasons, I was just wanting to see other viewpoints ;)

Oh well that's no fun. Can't be nookie all day every day. It would get very, very boring, for me at least. I just enjoy letting words spill forth and weaving a story, short, long, sexual, bloody, horrifying, doesn't matter, so long as I can put thoughts to words and words to rights, I'm content. E is a good outlet for this.

Xillen

Not sure what exactly is meant. If I wouldn't want some bit of arousel in my game, I would probably be playing on a board that focusses on system games like EN World.

Then again, if it's just for the arousel, then I'd go play something out in realtime. Must faster satisfaction. :P

It's really the combination for me. Erotic scenes within a certain situation like a pokergame, or a system RP, and not so much the scene on itself.

Greenthorn

I find that I only write a story if the story itself draws me in...although I love when my ons are being met, I'd rather have a great story with no sex, than a story with all sex which encompasses all my ons...it would just bore me.  And I agree with Xillen...if I want sexual satisfaction I'll get it in RL...definitely much quicker.

Sherona

Quote from: Greenthorn on June 29, 2008, 05:52:07 PM
I find that I only write a story if the story itself draws me in...although I love when my ons are being met, I'd rather have a great story with no sex, than a story with all sex which encompasses all my ons...it would just bore me.  And I agree with Xillen...if I want sexual satisfaction I'll get it in RL...definitely much quicker.

*smiles*

I, myself, just enjoy writing. Is why only two things of a sexual nature is on my offlist, and really those two things are only there because I can not get my head around why people enjoy those activities. If I could, I could definitely play a chaqracter who enjoys them even if I don't.

I came to Elliquiy because I like the fact that I do not have to force my characters to act in a way that would force the plot away from sex or darker aspects of sex if that is how the plot turns. I wont deny some of the scenes do ...erm....interest me ;) We wouldn't be very good writers if they did not..but yeah, I don't base my wants in a story around what I enjoy in real life.

Lithos

For me it is a bit of everything

With someone it can be story

With someone else it can be mostly the action

With someone that I really feel at ease writing style wise, can be either or both

About distance from your characters.

Personally, I think that being really distant from your characters is mostly bullshit. My characters, and propably many others get their fuel from my emotions, I even need to get to certain mood to write certain character. Not much ways to distance when you write, and pointless as things that you feel as that character change when you switch to writing some other character anyway.

Same reason is why I like to do only one story in one given day. I do not much like switching to different sorts of people more often than once or twice a day, it is not always so pleasant even. I much rather have it in the way of "Today I am this person, tomorrow I am that one"... having a lot of that switching around would propably get me quite shifty x.x 

There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Xillen

Quote from: Sherona on June 29, 2008, 05:56:24 PMI, myself, just enjoy writing. Is why only two things of a sexual nature is on my offlist, and really those two things are only there because I can not get my head around why people enjoy those activities. If I could, I could definitely play a chaqracter who enjoys them even if I don't.

Doesn't work like that for me. I actually try to unify myself with my character to think from my character's perspective, thinking what it would do. So if my character would get raped, I'd try to think what I would do if I would get raped like that. That situation doesn't particularly appeal to me, so I rather not RP much in such situations. I'd probably describe the story more from a 3rd person's perspective, which would make the character appear less natural.