Ye of the endless reading lists, rejoice!

Started by Lilias, December 13, 2017, 10:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

Why you should surround yourself with more books than you'll ever have time to read

tl;dr: If all your books fit on your shelves, it's time to buy more books. (Then come join the rest of us for the next 50 Tales round.)

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Caelia

I feel this on such a spiritual level. I have over one hundred books on my Paperwhite, most of which I haven't even gotten to reading yet and then my bookshelf in my room has three shelves filled with books. But I still have room to stack books on top of each other, so clearly I need more books   ;D My habit is that I find a book series that has like fourteen books to it so of course, I need to buy them all.

Inkidu

I feel kind of bad. There are books I haven't read of course, even on my kindle I have a whole series of books I bought and never cracked twenty pages on the first book, but I generally don't buy books of a non-fiction persuasion. I buy like 95% fiction, and the other five percent of my reading is internet-based research.

I don't think the article was meant for someone like me, it seems to be geared more toward the non-fiction set.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

RedRose

I have a Library, plus shelves (and mess) in most rooms...
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Nimmy

I have space on my physical bookshelves for more, but I'm at a point where I'm probably going to be moving before the end of 2018 and I've moved book hoards for friends and family and don't feel like the weight is worth it. Most of what's on my nook I've already read, and I haven't splurged on anything recently, because while I like ebooks... I like buying paper books more.

That being said, I have a fantastic library network to draw from and two branches within 5 minutes of the house, so when I'm "out" of books, I stop in and borrow more. ::)

My goodreads "to-read" list is probably never going to get below 50 (I haven't had it under 80 in like 3 years), so while it's not the same thing as a physical bookshelf, at least I have the constant motivation to read another book. I admit I did a purge of some stuff a couple months ago, which dropped me from like 130 to 100, and then I read like 20 books on the lists without adding more... but then I found out some of the books I liked had sequels, and utilized the recommendations function on goodreads, and I'm back up to three digits.... such is my life.

Lilias

Quote from: Inkidu on December 21, 2017, 11:49:23 PM
I feel kind of bad. There are books I haven't read of course, even on my kindle I have a whole series of books I bought and never cracked twenty pages on the first book, but I generally don't buy books of a non-fiction persuasion. I buy like 95% fiction, and the other five percent of my reading is internet-based research.

I don't think the article was meant for someone like me, it seems to be geared more toward the non-fiction set.

Hardly. There's plenty of learning to be done through reading fiction, even for non-writers.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

rou

For 2018 I have the goal of reading through the vast majority of my owned-but-unread books. Luckily my library isn't huge right now... I'm mostly going for the physical books I have, though I'm trying to tackle a lot of my digital ones as well. An antilibrary, at least a physical one, hardly works for me. I try not to have too many material things. Books are hard to move, and I don't have space for them currently. :(

// A&A: July 17, 2022 //
“succubus angel” — anonymous

Ket

Quote from: roulette on December 22, 2017, 10:26:28 AM
Books are hard to move, and I don't have space for them currently. :(

So are comic books. OMG we have comics all over the house in various boxes and piles. We'd have an actual desk, if comics weren't piled on top of it and in boxes underneath it. We have two regular sized bookshelves that are filled to the brim, and still more books everywhere. I'm not as voracious of a reader as Mr. Ket is, but I also only tend to keep books that I know I will re-read because I liked them that much. Him...he keeps them all. He gets that from his mother. One entire wall of her bedroom is a custom bookshelf that probably holds over 1,000 books, and each bedroom in her house (7 in total) has a stack or two of books in it.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

LocusVonErich

I must be failing. I can count all of my books on my fingers and still have fingers left over. I've got a couple in mind I want...just ain't gotten around to getting them yet.

Ozolosterna

I have been using some books that I've only ever glossed over to bolster my water bucket for the Dehumidifier. Yes, they got soaked; I do not care in the slightest. They're honestly being used better now than they were, before.