To-do list, take II

Started by Vekseid, March 09, 2009, 08:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

Dunno.  I don't have Firefox.  Does that mean I should give that a try and see what happens?
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Vekseid

It seems to be working in IE and Firefox for me...

Vekseid

And Safari. Did you ever clear your cookies after the move?

Valerian

I believe so, at least at work.  Should I try that again anyway?
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Vekseid

Well... in order to fix a problem I need a way to replicate it : /

Valerian

Yeah, it's always that replicating part that's the real problem.  I cleared cookies again, and now have something of the opposite problem -- if there's only one new post in a thread, all is well; I go right where I should.  If there are two or more new posts in the thread, though, it takes me straight to the last new one.

It sounds too convoluted to track down, though, so unless an obvious solution leaps out at you, never mind.  I'll learn to live with it...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Spookie Monster

Before anything else, please allow me to apologize: I understand that this is kind of like a person who uses seventeen coupons at checkout and then wonders what's taking so long.

That said... well, I can't help but notice that the formatting in my Ziggy Speldust posts has gone wonky.  Maybe it's a result of the move?  Whatever the origin, please know that I liked my formatting -- I won't explain why right now, but I liked it -- and I'm curious as to whether anybody's trying to resolve the root cause of the up-screwing.  If it is in fact a fatal error -- if my formatting's weak point has been attacked for massive damage, so to speak -- well, golly, I'll try to work something else out, but...

In the meantime, I'll be using this more or less standard formatting in hopes of best communicating my thanks, my questions, my observations, and my concerns to you fine Earthlings.  I may or may not be wearing a Gary Spivey wig as I type this.

Thanks very much, guys.  You do a truly great job here and I'm sorry to have to bother you with this type of issue.  Best wishes!

Spel

I'm busting up my brains for the proper formatting...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Vekseid

...you've got some funky coding going on, does not look right at all or like it should have ever worked?

Caeli

@Spel: The funky coding is because you're not closing your tags properly. Using these {} squiggly brackets as an example:

{font size=12pt}blah blah blah
blah blah blah {font size=7pt}

^ when you do this, your stuff goes funky because you didn't close the {font=12pt} tag first.

Also, when you close tags, remember to do it in the reverse order that it was written.

{font size=12pt}Size {b}bold + size {u}bold + size + underline{/u}{/b} Just size{/font}
--> {font}{b}{u} --> {/u}{/b}{/font}

Basically, just remember that when you have conflicting tags (like different font sizes), to close the first one before trying to do the second one. {font size=12pt}blah blah{/font}{font size=7pt}blah blah{/font}

And. etc.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Spookie Monster

Thanks for the prompt replies!  Thank you, too, for using the word "funky."  I won't suggest that my coding looked right or, indeed, was right -- computers and I don't get along -- but it did seem to do what I wanted it to do before the move.  I think -- I hope -- that anybody who read my posts regularly can attest to that fact.  That said, no biggie.  I don't have the time to approach the issue right now, but I can try to work something out later. :-)

Thanks again! :-)

Spel

I'm not quite right at all, am I?
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Caeli

No, your stuff actually looked fine before. :) I think it might be the new SMF - I've noticed that the new forum actually has a tendency to fix my tags when I forget them. However, it gets confused when there are a lot of tags in a post, so it might have attempted to fix yours, and it just got all wonky.

:-)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Spookie Monster

I'm glad to hear that I'm not totally insane, heh!  And thank you very much for suggesting what the origin of the problem might be.  I'll try to take a look at my older posts; I'm not sure whether I can fix them, but maybe I can find a solution that allows me to keep some kind of groovy formatting...

Thanks again! :-)

Spel

I can fly...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Josh the Aspie

In any case, having rel="nofollow" in a link means that those pages that are linked to do not get any bump to their page rank from that link.  Some people write comments specifically to generate traffic and page rank for their own pages.  It's a symbiotic relationship, since generating content for your page will increase your page rank, while their generating links to their own pages will increase theirs.

Allowing forum signature links, and profile links from comments to generate page rank for those who have them would give additional incentive for others to post in the public areas of the site.  It would also increase the chance of junk posting, and cause you to loose some control over what kinds of sites elliquiy is associated with (though of course, due to it's association with sites with links -to- elliquiy-, such control is largely an illusion anyway).

I'd like to point out that until I clicked on the To-Do list out of curiosity, I wasn't even aware that there were blogs on the site.  If you want people to comment, it might be a good idea to make sure people know there are blogs.  I just kind of ignore anything I'm not specifically looking for on the big bar at the top.  For example: I've never taken a second glance at the Wiki, because Wiki's just aren't my thing.  Maybe a little bar below the To-Do list?

Finally, if you are the one maintaining the site, I'd like to give a big thumbs up.  My browser is reporting Standards Compliance Mode, no CSS errors, and no Javascript errors.  This is incredibly rare in a large CMS system that combines multiple different types of CMS.  This fact suggests a large amount of skill on your part.  Bravo.

Vekseid

Moving the blogs into the forums here was fairly recent :-p

Will probably add to the blogs' recognition by putting some of them in the notice bar, etc. All in good time.

Erebus

Firstly I'd like to congratulate Veks and all the rest for the smooth transition. I guess it wasn't easy.

Now, i recently started to make use of the bookmarks and it seems to me they lack a very important imho feature: Categories/labels/folders whatever.

I think it would have a positive impact on the usefulness of the bookmarks if it was possible to categorize your bookmarks somehow.

That's it mates.
Cheers.
My Introduction
My ONs & OFFs
Absences

In need for some short term players/NPCs? Place your request ==> here <==

Are you a lucky little lady in the city of light; Or just another lost angel, city of night. - James Douglas Morrison

MzNurse

I'd like to request an upgrade to the shoutbox...or at least a user manual.  there's no way to change text or use smilies, and there's no "whisper" box for private conversations.  Also...is there any way to fix it so that you don't have to refresh every few seconds to see if anyone has replied?

Also, Valerian's problems with the "new" button are valid. I'm having the same problems.
Mz's O.O   Mz's Downtimes   Story Ideas  Open for a few new rps. PM me.

Vekseid

The smilies are the same as the forums:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=32110.0

They are the same in both the sb and the forums. The shoutbox has a few additional ones some people enjoy toying with. It uses some limited bbcode such as and so on.

Right now there is a default timeout of 15 minutes, but your connection may 'close' before then. Just start typing and it should update with recent messages.

I may enable the private messaging feature but certainly not until I've looked more at it. It would certainly confuse people as is, since it's hard to tell when someone is truly online.

Valerian

User manual!  Well, sort of.  The last post in the thread discusses some of the new features.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Greenthorn

I would seriously love to be able to search O/Os for like-minded players.  Visualizing it would be even more cool:

People like Greenthorn: memberA, memberB, memberC.

Or matches for compatibility based on O/Os:

Matches: MemberA 87%, MemberB 54%

Is it possible?

Oniya

Quote from: Greenthorn on March 15, 2009, 11:20:31 AM
I would seriously love to be able to search O/Os for like-minded players.  Visualizing it would be even more cool:

People like Greenthorn: memberA, memberB, memberC.

Or matches for compatibility based on O/Os:

Matches: MemberA 87%, MemberB 54%

Is it possible?

Layperson here - Might be possible if there was a standard way to describe things in O/O's.  As it is, three people could say they like M/F, heterosexual, or het, and come up with no match.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Greenthorn

A checklist for O/Os would be awesome!

With the ability to elaborate on each.

Bliss

*helpfully strikes out something on Vek's list*
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Vekseid

Bliss

*salute* Glad to help with what I could!
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Vekseid