Ah, Crap...Sci-Fi at its best.

Started by MagicalPen, July 30, 2007, 06:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

So heres a little setting i've been toying around with. Lots of possibilities (in my mind at least) and still plenty to work with.

Its a Sci-Fi setting, though no aliens have been discovered. But i am thinking about changing that, perhaps with one Alien Race. I'll have to think about it for a while though as this idea is no older then 10 minutes at the time of this posting:
==
No one remembers who gave the order to destroy Slicion. That one particular order nearly wiped mankind off the face of the Universe. Its what escalated the War of Secession into a War of Total Destruction. Whole planets were destroyed in the manner of Slicion – both Confederate and Federation – and those that weren’t destroyed suffered massive damage to their major cities. Not to mention the massive fleet battles above the planets. Massive fleets, blasting away at each other. Escape pods flying everywhere, debris crashing into other ships. Total chaos.

Even Space Stations weren’t saved. Billions of people died and humanity barely survived. What is left to those that survived is a lawless universe, every man out for themselves. Those on the fringes of space faired the best, whole planet-side colonies, but their existence will now be harder to maintain with no supply shipments. They’re all on their own now.

And the places that were hit the hardest – well, the ones that weren’t completely destroyed like Slicion – are not much more the communities where the opportunistic now rule. The Confederacy and the Federation scarcely exist anymore either. The Confederacy is not much more then a bunch of Space Pirates and former Soldiers, still fighting for independence. Not much of a fight left, really. Only when Federation ships enter their Space.

The Federation, whats left of it, is barely hanging on to what its got. A handful of battle-damaged planets, a  battle-damaged fleet, and just enough troops to keep the Space Pirates away and Order in their command.

Earth – Terra – the birthplace of Humanity has been lost forever, one of the final PDM’s (Planet Destroying Missles) fired by the Confederate forces.

Now is a time for rebuilding.
==
Of course, more to come, and i'm probably going to tweak it around a bit. And not entirely sure if it would work as a game, a one-on-one or multi. Any thoughts?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

MagicalPen

Exactly! Well said. Thats what i was going for. Theres partially destroyed planets that are on the brink, other communities have been taken over by criminals and those seeking to fill the void left by the Federation. Slave-trade is at an all time high, extortion, inflation, etc. The Salvage business has turned profitable with countless wrecks floating around in space or crashed on planets. Those planets untouched by war face a battle of survival - waiting for important shipments that will never come. They are truly on their own now.

I'll post more when i'm awake - bit early for me right now. Eyes still droopy.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

MagicalPen

Space Piracy on the Rise, lawlessness. Dangerous Junkies. Salvaging business on the rise. Settlements on the brink of destruction. Criminal-run syndicates control entire planets (whats left of them). Religious Fanatics on the rise. People living in near poverty, just hoping to survive. Former-Military turned Mercenary. High Suicide Rate in remaining Military. Soldiers with a chip on their shoulders. Fighting inner demons more then outter demons. Massacres.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

MagicalPen

Great questions! They'll help me out since they ask some things i didnt think of. I've written up brief descriptions of the kinds of people left around (pretty loosely based) but that will help solidify them.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Seereous

This idea has in turn given me some ideas.  The capital cities/planets or the core planets could still be living in bliss, no knowing of the plight of their fellow man (media painting a picture of serenity), while the majority and fringe planets are living from day to day.  That could lend for the naive character that suddenly goes through culture shock and has to realize his/her place and worth in the universe.

With salvage being a profitable business venture, you could have the crew of Kraken, an Octopus class light space tug, running a salvage operation.  They could salvage hull armor from the debris of space battles for town and habitats on planets that don't have favorable weather conditions.  If you really want to have a shady character as the captain, or just one that does what he needs to do to survive (hint, hint), you could find a colony ship with some people that are still in cryo status.  Slave trade, anyone?  Or with the discovery it sends the Federation/Confederation on a chase of the Kraken and her crew and the way that the crew has to use their brains to get out situations, or fight their way out.

I like the general idea that you have.

MagicalPen

I am still sifting through all that has been said and will most likely come up with some definates tomorrow. I am thinking more along the lines of a law-less universe (with Bastions of Hope/Justice), along with a few 'New Age' Religious Fanatics, lots of derelict military installations and space debris to explore (and pillage). Think of it as a place where every planet is one its own, and half of them have been destroyed in such a way or have formed small alliances based on trade that allows survival. There are Floaters who hold no allegiance, etc.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry