Very Interested in Running A White Wolf style game (Any Welcome)

Started by Krysia, July 29, 2011, 12:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krysia

Character Creation
6/4/3
11/7/4
5 Backgrounds
No Gifts
Starting Rage for your auspice
Starting Gnosis from your breed
Willpower from Tribe
No Renown
21 freebies points
7 points from Flaw
No more then 10 freebie points spent on Merits

Backgrounds Allowed
Allies
Ancestors
Contacts
Kinfolk
Mentor
Pure Breed
Resources
Totem (No more then 1 dot)

Fetish and Rites aren't allowed because you will not have the rank to use them.

Merits and Flaws are subject to approval from the ST.

Tribes not allowed
Glasswalker
Bone Gnawer (Subject to ST Approval)
Star Gazer (They left the Nation)

Tribal Flaws and Background restrictions apply.

Books allowed
Revised Edition Werewolf
The player's guide to the Garou
   (If you're unsure, the merits are in the back of the book not the front)
Revised Edition Tribal Books.

Merits and Flaws can only be taken from these books

fallensaviour

rancorius

Krysia

Quote from: fallensaviour on August 02, 2011, 10:14:53 AM
ok...so, out of curiosity why the tribe bans?

Because for Glasswalkers their rite of passage takes 48 hours. So it would be useless to have them in the game if we're going to be exploring the rites of the tribes. Glasswalkers are taken after their first change and put on what they call the fast track, spirits are pretty much bribed then the rite dished out so they can learn as they go with their rank. If they fail to actually hold on to their sanity in those 48 hours they go on what's called the slower track where they learn with metis and lupus of the tribe.

As for the Bone Gnawers they aren't banned per-say, just well limited because the setting will be rural and not urban. They'd have to have a very good reason as to why they were out gallivanting in the woods.

fallensaviour

fair enough, hmm i'll have to change my concept then since i was going to go bone gnawer, unless drifter is enough of a justification

fallensaviour

ooh...no rites that means no rite of talisman dedication, aka rite of pants

Ixy

I think the selection is fine-- remember, we're talking about cubs!  They truly do not know what's going on with what, and must discover these things :)

So, did you decide between MD or NY, or some other place, Krysia?

Can I make a couple small mechanics suggestions?  Tribes, auspices, and breeds determine base rage, gnosis, and willpower, if I recall correctly?  I never liked that, because it supports metagaming.  Would you like to houserule a baseline for these instead?  Of course, that does beg the question-- who was thinking about making a lupus red talon ahroun, hmmmm? 

Additionally, metis: are you allowing them, since they're invariably raised by garou if they're not slain outright?  I'd beg that be a big 'no'?

(side note: I've never, ever played a lupus character.  I think the mindset doesn't relate well enough and the novelty of wolf-perspective humor wears thin really, really quickly)

Krysia

Quote from: Ixy on August 02, 2011, 10:49:24 AM
I think the selection is fine-- remember, we're talking about cubs!  They truly do not know what's going on with what, and must discover these things :)

So, did you decide between MD or NY, or some other place, Krysia?

Can I make a couple small mechanics suggestions?  Tribes, auspices, and breeds determine base rage, gnosis, and willpower, if I recall correctly?  I never liked that, because it supports metagaming.  Would you like to houserule a baseline for these instead?  Of course, that does beg the question-- who was thinking about making a lupus red talon ahroun, hmmmm? 

Additionally, metis: are you allowing them, since they're invariably raised by garou if they're not slain outright?  I'd beg that be a big 'no'?

(side note: I've never, ever played a lupus character.  I think the mindset doesn't relate well enough and the novelty of wolf-perspective humor wears thin really, really quickly)

Well after talking to another person, I don't think I'll allow Lupus in general. Not because I don't like them or anything but it'll be a bit harder to teach a puppy cub things if he only gets exposure from a homid born.

How about this for an idea, rage and gnosis is capped at 1 as a cub. The reason I say this is because it could be a gift from Gaia and Luna after your rite of passage? You don't really have a use for rage and gnosis as a cub anyway.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Krysia on August 02, 2011, 10:23:35 AM
Because for Glasswalkers their rite of passage takes 48 hours. So it would be useless to have them in the game if we're going to be exploring the rites of the tribes. Glasswalkers are taken after their first change and put on what they call the fast track, spirits are pretty much bribed then the rite dished out so they can learn as they go with their rank. If they fail to actually hold on to their sanity in those 48 hours they go on what's called the slower track where they learn with metis and lupus of the tribe.

As for the Bone Gnawers they aren't banned per-say, just well limited because the setting will be rural and not urban. They'd have to have a very good reason as to why they were out gallivanting in the woods.

Bone Gnawers have rural members they are your typical poor mountain folk sorts but are there they in fact have them noted in the tribe book if I recall but more live in cities that doesn't mean all do.

I don't have the rules sadly but did play this in a tabletop game awhile back if I can get help I wouldn't mind the hot mountain girl type her family the rural Bone Gnawers sort poor and proud likely classic mountain folk or squatters on some island with some subsistance farming etc. going on. If the ST is okay with that idea it does fit the Gnawers and I always liked them as a tribe no one expects much from them.

Krysia

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 02, 2011, 11:42:02 AM
Bone Gnawers have rural members they are your typical poor mountain folk sorts but are there they in fact have them noted in the tribe book if I recall but more live in cities that doesn't mean all do.

I don't have the rules sadly but did play this in a tabletop game awhile back if I can get help I wouldn't mind the hot mountain girl type her family the rural Bone Gnawers sort poor and proud likely classic mountain folk or squatters on some island with some subsistance farming etc. going on. If the ST is okay with that idea it does fit the Gnawers and I always liked them as a tribe no one expects much from them.

See the problem with Gnawers is they can't have resources so when you say poor you should really mean "dead poor with no money scrapping road kill off the road and living off the land in general" type of character.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Krysia on August 02, 2011, 11:52:28 AM
See the problem with Gnawers is they can't have resources so when you say poor you should really mean "dead poor with no money scrapping road kill off the road and living off the land in general" type of character.

Your an almighty ST but where are most large waste dumps in cities or in the rural areas, in Florida most are in rural areas since no one want a landfill near them. You can build a home and survive on what you find there from raw materials to make a shanty home to rats and birds for food add in gathering berries, some hunting, the odd job on rare occassions and you can get by. Rural doesn't mean not survivors in fact they have the best of both worlds they are away from wyrm ridden cities, get access to city stuff and the odd job that is not a resource dot. Say in game I work at a construction site for a week for cash that is not a resource its in-game hard earned money she will be careful with.

I was thinking she would have her folks squatting near a large landfill and dump with others like her family, when they shut down they move to the next one to start over. I would not call that over dirt filthy poor would you or a resource dot which assume an income that is regular.

SomeGuy

Initial stats are here, originally started off as a Shadow Lord Philodox but as the character developed more and more I went away from that, as you might be able to notice.

Jin

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 02, 2011, 12:40:12 PM
Your an almighty ST but where are most large waste dumps in cities or in the rural areas, in Florida most are in rural areas since no one want a landfill near them. You can build a home and survive on what you find there from raw materials to make a shanty home to rats and birds for food add in gathering berries, some hunting, the odd job on rare occassions and you can get by. Rural doesn't mean not survivors in fact they have the best of both worlds they are away from wyrm ridden cities, get access to city stuff and the odd job that is not a resource dot. Say in game I work at a construction site for a week for cash that is not a resource its in-game hard earned money she will be careful with.

I was thinking she would have her folks squatting near a large landfill and dump with others like her family, when they shut down they move to the next one to start over. I would not call that over dirt filthy poor would you or a resource dot which assume an income that is regular.

The problem I would see here. Even if you do work at a construction site for a week for cash it would technically give you resources. Especially seeing as construction workers earn a lot of money. would definitely give you more than $500/month which is classified as resources one. Also most construction sites hire only union workers and will not hire you for just one week.  Also I know the area she is planning on using is about an hour away from the nearest dump.

RubySlippers

I meant like day labor not construction work you know you stand around and go heh I need someone to help for $50 for a day of work cash, then you get the cash and go. I always assumed resources were regular income as in a regular job if you read it its $X a week plus savings and things you can sell. Not odd jobs, panhandling, sidewalk performing, hitting up soup kitchens or living in a makeshift home and hunting and the like to get by (squatting somewhere and getting by).

That was an example odds are her main extra money would come here trucker for $20 I'll show ya a good time for a half hour in the back of your cab - cha ching. Or simply doing what most hot woman do show up at a bar and somehow never have to spend a dime to eat or drink. Generally what would be lucky work or work she gets some cash for but is not reliable every day. Even city gnawers get cash now and then I'm sure collecting cans, bottles, panhandling, sidewalk performing with a harmonica etc.

She is just very poor rural trash how she lives could be considered rural homeless maybe shelter and all but what she manages to get you know there are rural homeless they usually find shelter just don't rent or buy it, a cave or old building or old truck or van rusting out would do. Her family likely is no better.

Come on use common sense if she does the odd job for money in her case lets say (rural) some chores for some cash, lives say in an abandoned van fixed up with old wood and tenting tarp with her family is that resources of one? I'm not inclined to say yes myself its very poor with no income security or reliable assets they likely would manage to get by with everyone chipping in to not starve to death. A great example the Joad family in The Grapes of Wrath were they resources one or zero?

Jin

I was going off of your example. You said "Construction" so I was going off of your example. In this case your post sort of makes sense. Though it is laughable to think of a Bone Gnawer hooking, I mean come on no gifts means you stink especially if you live around trash. Odd jobs here and there for cash are getting harder and harder to come by. Also I suggest focusing on one thing in your argument. Your post seemed to go one way and then turn around on itself.  Krysia never said you couldn't play one just that you needed to have a good reason. She only outright denied the Glass walkers.

fallensaviour

she didnt say she'd charge very much :P

RubySlippers

Public bathrooms have soap and paper towels, you can work for money to buy generic personal care items if your homeless and its not overly expensive at your average Walmart to get store brands. True she won't be living well but could get by if she had a decent battery of skills. She would be rural homeless still homeless just not in the city it would have more challenges but after a bit she could have a nice thing going. And just because she has no reasources doesn't mean allies might not. I just have to be creative in the game on how she is going to get by with no resources.  ;D

Krysia

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 02, 2011, 04:54:30 PM
Public bathrooms have soap and paper towels, you can work for money to buy generic personal care items if your homeless and its not overly expensive at your average Walmart to get store brands. True she won't be living well but could get by if she had a decent battery of skills. She would be rural homeless still homeless just not in the city it would have more challenges but after a bit she could have a nice thing going. And just because she has no reasources doesn't mean allies might not. I just have to be creative in the game on how she is going to get by with no resources.  ;D

Game is going to be taking place in a state park. I don't see to many public bathrooms coming up unless you're living in the camping grounds and even then I would think the bathrooms would have those air dryers to make sure they don't have paper trails everywhere from things. Also have to consider the animals that are out there and they wouldn't want the local wildlife getting into paper towels and dragging them everywhere.

fallensaviour

Krysia

The OOC thread and Character Thread is up for people who are interested in playing to post there and post their characters for me to go over. I'm going to try and get more information about the area and hopefully a few maps for us to look at.

fallensaviour

i'm interested, just having problems coming up with ideas other than a wandering vagrant bone gnawer, and a hippie commune child of gaia

Senti

have a couple of idea's was going to go for a fianna or a CoG.

Vandren

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 02, 2011, 12:40:12 PM
where are most large waste dumps in cities or in the rural areas, in Florida most are in rural areas since no one want a landfill near them.

In Ohio, they're in the cities, for the most part.  So this example's answer varies from state to state.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Sabriel

Is anyone else actually working on concepts/character ideas ?

I am have been but well I sort of wanted some input from the rest of the group, so I can fill a gap or lack of auspice etc.

I have asked in the ooc section hehe but it seams to me that many may be ignorant of its existence perhaps ?