Age of Adventure Redux ...on Roll20.Net?

Started by Inerrant Lust, September 02, 2013, 12:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inerrant Lust

QuoteAre you tired of living in fear that maybe that HOUSECAT is going to slit your throat while you sleep?
Are you tired of earning one silver piece a day doing unskilled labor while all the cool people go out on ADVENTURES?
Do you want to go out and earn THOUSANDS OF GOLD PIECES for HALF A DAY'S WORK?
Do you want to slay DRAGONS, bed foreign maidens, and plunder ancient dungeons?

If you said YES to any of these questions, you are eligible to be taken on contract in a local adventurer's guild TODAY. For just 10 insignifigant gold pieces each, Rygar & Morvald Adventuring Guild Agency will set you up with a client and a sponsor to begin adventuring THE VERY NEXT DAY. Parties in excess of three members get a 2 gold discount!

The age of peril has long passed. The goodly races no longer fear invasion from the drow or orcs. There is no danger of any villages being destroyed by fearsome dragons. Most of the perils of the world today are only dangerous when one seeks them out. Heroes and adventurers, once the only thing keeping the world from complete destruction, have now become a mere novelty. Adventuring has become nothing more than a sport, an industry unto itself.

Most adventurers have a sponsor, who pays for the expenses of their quests for publicity and endorsement and occasionally a cut of any profits made from the adventure. Usually, one takes a quest from a client, often a powerful nobleman- though it could be anyone willing to pay. Some quests are for personal gain to the client, others are to rid the world of a menace, but most are simply for amusement. These quests are almost always recorded magically through a scrying, so that these heroes could be cheered on and rooted for as they adventure.

Millions of gold pieces are exchanged every day in this industry. Those nobles who hold public broadcasts will often sell advertising rights to businesses during these adventures, others bet and gamble on the result. Merchandising has become an industry of itself- with dress-me dolls of famous female adventurers and adventure figures made of famous male adventurers. Sometimes the most arbitrary challenges are thrown into the quest, once a half-giant fighter was offered the chance to double her cash reward if she could complete her quest in nothing but a loin cloth and a chainmail bikini. She accepted, slaying the otyugh cluster and winning the hearts of all who witnessed her wardrobe malfunction in real time.

Unfortunately for most spectators, Blackwood's Familial Consideration Commission (FCC) levied harsh fines against the heroine, her sponsor and her client, as well as restricting future challenges for family-friendly programming to 'Gear of an armor category of no less than light cannot be wagered, unless magically enchanted for the sake of modesty.'

Important Notice!!! This game will be a combination of forum posting and Roll20.Net (http://roll20.net/) because I would like to test it out with a short little campaign before I do anything crazy with it. It's a free-to-use browser-based tabletop, complete with a maptool, initiative tool, character sheet, tracker, ect. All it requires is you sign up (you can change your display name later if you're worried about using real names) and I will shoot you a link to the game I'm GMing. While designed for the GM and all the players to be online at once and skyping or somesuch, all information is saved throughout sessions... meaning even if you're the only one online, you can take some actions on your turn and the next time we check it your actions will be shown. You may have to leave notes on the chatlogs for me to change things like HP, though...

For the most part, I intend to use that site for complex things like combat or exploring. Everything else will be on this forum as normal. No point in using a tabletop for sexiness and such.

Teh Rules!

Looking for 3-4 players, preferably at least 2 females. Level 5! Though I lean towards 3.5 or pathfinder, 4e can be done too if requested. After all, I want to flex this website's combat capabilities and 4e is tactical enough! Let me know what you prefer.

Rough setting info;

Goblins, Orcs, Hobgoblins, and sometimes Gnolls can be seen mingling with the people of other races, though they are fairly uncommon. This is due to the the Theocratic Union of Peoples Under One, a large nation on the fringe of the human kingdoms that has since assimilated into the ways of more civilized folk.

The southern kingdoms resemble an amalgam of asian cultures, and half-elves are common there. Somewhat poorer than neighboring cultures, but with an extreme wealth gap between the rich and poor.

Aeune is the de facto capital of the world. It is the economic center of the world, being the main proprietor of the adventuring industry. It is not a city but a fleet of airships constantly in motion- only the wealthiest in the world live there, either former adventurers or prestigious families.

Dwarves tend to live in the northern mountains and are generally wary of the adventuring industry. Elves live in the south-middle island chain between the Union and the rest of the human kingdoms. Halflings still enjoy a nomadic lifestyle, but are disproportionately common as adventurers.

ShadowFox89

I'd be interested, either Pathfinder or 4e. My only problem with Pathfinder is caster supremacy.....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

MzHyde

This sounds really fun. Shame I don't know any systems.

Inerrant Lust

While D&D 3.5/pathfinder can be a bit... cumbersome to pick up for new players, D&D 4e is considerably more streamlined.

It's also considerably more tactical based, which is a pain for forum games... but should be easily rectified using Roll20.net which is designed for that sort of thing.

Laughing Hyena

I am so in! I have missed this game and had a blast with how short it was.

Inerrant Lust

I am sad that it ended rather unceremoniously after, what, a year and a half? :P

Still, I think it's better to do a series of short adventures for groups rather than the one large storyline you guys were involved in. ::)

Laughing Hyena

Im good for that or whatever. Either way Im all for it. ^_^

ShadowFox89

Of course, I would like to suggest Legend too.... :P
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

So is there a preference for 4e or 3.5e?

Also, the three adventure options!

You receive the following quest offers from your agent...

QuoteSeeking Adventurers!
Some goblin farmers reported seeing a large bird carry off a bison off at the fringe of the Wild Lands. An Aeunic nobleman wants this mighty beasted felled so he can have it stuffed and mounted for all to see. Track down this mighty bird of prey and kill it! Make sure not to damage the body too badly... But beware, this great bird has been the talk of the town around some circles, and you may not be the only one hunting it.

QuoteSeeking Adventurers!
Across the sea to the south is the untamed New World. Previous adventurers have all come back with tales of ancient jungle pyramids and strange and exotic beasts. More than tales, they've come back with priceless relics, gold, and other treasures. A merchant-lord from the southern kingdoms is willing to fund an exploratory quest. If this quest gets enough exposure and viewers to recoup his losses, you're entitled to any of the loot you find.

QuoteSeeking Adventures!
The High Priestess of a major city in the Theocratic Union has been robbed by a mysterious thief. He snuck past all her paladins, stealing away into her carriage and making off with her jewelry. He also kissed her without permission, a crime punishable by flogging. Rumor has it that there is a growing thieves guild in the city and this was meant as some grandiose display of their power. The High Priestess wants this man taken alive and has agreed to allow the entire investigation to be scried for a possible broadcast later.

Laughing Hyena

Nostalgia makes me pick 2 but I love a classic so 1 it is! Oh and I prefer 3.5 edition.

Inerrant Lust

Okay, character creation rules!

Level 5;
22 Point Buy!
Any player race (Dragonborn, Eladrin, and Tieflings aren't exactly lore-friendly...)
Some races from the monster manual, (Lore-friendly; Gnoll, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Orc)
Any class (Most clerics and paladins would be the goblinoid races above, the rest of the world is largely secular)
Any skills, feats, powers, ect.

Starting Equipment: 3,480 gold.

New Armor Enchantment;
Glamerous
A unique product of Adventuring- armor enchanted to maintain the wearer's protection while also eschewing... aesthetically undesirable components, allowing the user to reveal more skin or incorporate inefficient designs without sacrificing protection. Rather fittingly, this enchantment draws upon the wearer's own showmanship- suiting exactly the sort of adventurers who would run around in such ridiculous outfits to begin with.
Lvl 1: +1,  360 gp
Lvl 6: +2, 1,800 gp
Armor: Any heavy armor
Enhancement: AC
Property: For every step in enchantment, this item reduces the armor bonus of the item by 2, the check and speed penalty by 1, and the weight by half. In exchange, you receive a bonus to AC equal to your Charisma modifier or +2 (Whichever is lower.)
Power (At-will): Minor Action. You may convert the AC bonus granted from your charisma into a Reflex, Fortitude, or Will defense bonus for the rest of the encounter.

Shjade

Two things:

1 - I'm guessing everyone in the thread's working together on the same adventure, yes? Not split up among the three listings?

2 - Is there a suggested reference for 4e for people unfamiliar with it, or does not knowing the game mean this probably isn't a good one to get involved in?

Edit: just linking my character sheet in this post so that it's on the first page of the thread and thereby easy to find without needing to look through all the posts.

Sara Chance
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

ShadowFox89

If you have AIM or Steam, I can help you put a character together.

I'm going to go with a Wild Sorcerer myself. Area damage primarily.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

Could use some help if this is going to seriously be 4e.

ShadowFox89

Well, at level 5 you get:

1 level 6 item
1 level 5 item
1 level 4 item
1,000 gp to spend on other items
+1 to two stats
3 feats, 2 at-will, 2-encounter, 2-daily, and 1-utility power.

For building your character, I suggest checking out the WotC CharOp. Not to minmax, but to build a character that's going to hit reliably.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

Well I could really use some freaking guidance from an actual srd similar to what 3e and pathfinder.

ShadowFox89

What books for 4e do you have?

Same offer as offered to Shjade, if you have AIM or Steam I'll help how I can.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

ShadowFox89

My AIM is shadowfox89, send me a message and I'll help you out.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

ShadowFox89

Oh, wait, sorry, wrong one >.<

turalisj89 is my AIM. Sorry.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on September 09, 2013, 04:59:16 PM
Well, at level 5 you get:

1 level 6 item
1 level 5 item
1 level 4 item
1,000 gp to spend on other items
+1 to two stats
3 feats, 2 at-will, 2-encounter, 2-daily, and 1-utility power.

For building your character, I suggest checking out the WotC CharOp. Not to minmax, but to build a character that's going to hit reliably.

Minor change; 3,480 gold instead of the 3 items and excess.

ShadowFox89

Well, both Shjade and Hyena seem to prefer 3.P, and I'd prefer Legend or 3.P >.>
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Shjade

I have more experience with Pathfinder; I wouldn't say that's the same as preferring it. xD

Sidenote, if we stick with the 4e proposition: does the 22 point stat buy include the +1 to two stats gained at level 4? Or do we add those after the 22 point buy?
◕/◕'s

ShadowFox89

After the 22 point buy, those are from 4th level. It's like the +2 to one stat from 3.5/P.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

Well, it's still early yet- what is the preference for system?

4e is quick to get down and dirty with, easy to pick up as well- which should work for just testing out this site in a quick little game. But if there's demand for some other system..

ShadowFox89

*cough* http://www.ruleofcool.com/ *cough*

Easy to learn, easy to make a character, a LOT of options for the same concept, and FREE to get legally.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Shjade

Pretty much all systems are greater or lesser evils to me. ;p

Have a 4e character sheet more or less finished, going to check out Shadowfox's Legend link and start one for that to see how it goes.
◕/◕'s

Laughing Hyena

See I am not a fan of the legend series as there is such a thing as too simple. Id stick with 4e if nothing else was available. Anyway Im making some progress on my character. He's gonna be a defender.

ShadowFox89

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=653736

My character, if we go with 4e.

Innocent drow elf sorceress who practices Taoism... And seeking to live a life of moderation, compassion, and humility, despite somehow always stumbling into adventures....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

Having some small debate on the equipment. Since Age of Adventure favors flavorful characters and not the most successful and practical then the way I fight is gonna be critical. I was thinking of dual wielding spears or something not so typical.

Shjade

That's the same reason I was planning on a rapier/katar weapon pairing. Flashy, but still effective. ;p
◕/◕'s

ShadowFox89

I'm just going with a simple staff. Not a lot to pick from with weapons as a Sorc.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

Pang De-ing it up, Hyena? :P

Think of the setting as a mix between MMOs and Pro Wrestling. There's a strange mix of reality and drama- with some adventurers donning particular roles or even 'story arcs' that aren't entirely genuine... of course mixed in with very real monsters and story arcs. All in all, it's about making money.

But that's just fluff- the main point of this game will be to test out Roll20! :P

Laughing Hyena

Not really I am just trying for something different for an elf like Leander

ShadowFox89

I dunno... should I swap to Invoker? Would you guys prefer a Leader for some healing?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on September 12, 2013, 02:49:09 AM
I dunno... should I swap to Invoker? Would you guys prefer a Leader for some healing?

Yes. I would

Flying Tengu

I think that this is a nifty idea, and I'd love to test out this Roll20.net site.  Also, I'm quite familiar with 4e.

Are there still slots available?  I'm happy to fill slots as required, both in terms of party role and gender.  I do like defenders, though.  I see that we have a female drow sorceress (possibly becoming a leader).  Does anyone else have a concept they're going with yet?

ShadowFox89

We have a defender (Hyena), Striker (Shjade), and either Striker or Leader (myself). If we can get someone else to play a Leader though I can go secondary in Controller and we should be golden.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

Would love another playing a controller as well.

ShadowFox89

Well, my Sorc setup has AoE attacks, but I can switch to Wizard as well.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on September 12, 2013, 10:05:51 PM
Well, my Sorc setup has AoE attacks, but I can switch to Wizard as well.

I like the Sorcerer actually in 4e so that works. ^_^

ShadowFox89

Maybe someone could play a Tactical Warlord >.>
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

Shjade

*laughs* I'm starting to think I should just stay out of the way on this one and leave it to the people who know what they're doing, particularly if the "goal" is testing out Roll20.
◕/◕'s

Laughing Hyena

Don't feel like yer the only one new to roll20 much less 4e. ^_^

ShadowFox89

I'm just good at figuring out new systems >.>

I honestly have played very little 4e.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Flying Tengu

I can totally play a leader!  I've got an idea that would be a good fit for a bard or a warlord.  It works better as a female character.  I'm trying to come up with a male concept for a leader as well; some success.  How are we doing as far as the requisite two female characters (or is that specifically players)?

Anyway, another two things; I also have a pretty good knowledge of 4e, having run it for a significant length of time.  I can totally help with the creation of characters,  or the asking of questions, or whatever.

Secondly, I'm going to be terribly busy the next few days, and won't have much time to work on a character.  I'll keep an eye on the thread, though, and keep those thoughts going!

ShadowFox89

I've got the only female character so far. Going Invoker rather than Sorcerer so I can do crowd control.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

Depends on the drow. He's suspicious of a single one on the surface naturally. Its the ones that move during the night or in packs he would more eagerly stab.

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Flying Tengu on September 13, 2013, 01:47:20 AM
I can totally play a leader!  I've got an idea that would be a good fit for a bard or a warlord.  It works better as a female character.  I'm trying to come up with a male concept for a leader as well; some success.  How are we doing as far as the requisite two female characters (or is that specifically players)?

Anyway, another two things; I also have a pretty good knowledge of 4e, having run it for a significant length of time.  I can totally help with the creation of characters,  or the asking of questions, or whatever.

Secondly, I'm going to be terribly busy the next few days, and won't have much time to work on a character.  I'll keep an eye on the thread, though, and keep those thoughts going!

There are two males I think and one female character. I don't know for sure. But I can confirm there is one male PC and one female PC. I have my Defender Fighter. A Spear and Shield Fighter meant to specialize in pushing and shifting the enemy into bad spots.

Shjade

Transferred it from notepad to a sheet.

What I've got so far. Still think I'm missing stuff/have stuff done wrong, but it's looking sorta close to complete comparing with Hyena's.

The attack/damage "workspace" part still baffles me.
◕/◕'s

Laughing Hyena

Nice. Looks fairly decent. Seems like she is a bonified damage dealer. She'll work real well with Leander I think in terms of fighting.

Shjade

Hm. So in triple-checking things I realize that Terror isn't an enchantment eligible for Light Blade weapons. And while I was looking for a replacement enchantment it occurred to me that, other than for style points, I'm not sure why I'm looking for her to dual-wield. It doesn't seem like you can attack with more than one weapon at a time (until later on with feats or something, maybe?), so it's just kinda...there. Maybe I should just replace it with a simple parrying dagger... *ponder*
◕/◕'s

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Shjade on September 13, 2013, 04:55:09 PM
Hm. So in triple-checking things I realize that Terror isn't an enchantment eligible for Light Blade weapons. And while I was looking for a replacement enchantment it occurred to me that, other than for style points, I'm not sure why I'm looking for her to dual-wield. It doesn't seem like you can attack with more than one weapon at a time (until later on with feats or something, maybe?), so it's just kinda...there. Maybe I should just replace it with a simple parrying dagger... *ponder*

Well maybe I can look in the other books and find something suitable for a dual wielding rogue?

Regardless I really am gonna like yer character just from the sheer teamwork aspect these two could have.

Basically the default strategy for Leander's defense of the part involves a bit of synergy. First thing he does is mark the opponent. If they attack someone other then him then he gets the interrupt and triggers the Shield Push feat which triggers Battering Shield. Allowing me to push an enemy 2 squares away. This triggers the Polearm Momentum feat knocking them prone.

Which obviously is really nice for your Rogue character's sneak attacks.

PS - Heres a good place to find pictures for characters. http://www.drakonis.org/

ShadowFox89

Hybrid Rogue/Ranger maybe? You need PHB3, but you can get TWF and be a rogue like that.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Laughing Hyena

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Shjade on September 13, 2013, 04:55:09 PM

Shjade you probably have the right idea if you stick to being a pure rogue. You have the final call but your idea looks good to me. ^_^

Muse

May I join?  I'd love to play an Eladrin girl wizard.  Will she totally not fit the fluff?  Or just need some finagling to get in? 

Also, did I understand that you took awaay the three magic items but gave us 2,000 some odd extra gold?  Is that a comprable value? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Inerrant Lust

Fluff's not too important at the moment. :P

Yes, it's otherwise the amount of money you'd have spent if you saved up to buy those things.

Shjade

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on September 13, 2013, 05:19:00 PM
Hybrid Rogue/Ranger maybe? You need PHB3, but you can get TWF and be a rogue like that.

Oh, I was planning on picking up Two Weapon Defense and Two Weapon Fighting at 6 and 8 respectively, but I'm just not sure if it's worthwhile compared to just going with one weapon and focusing on that.

Alright, Katar swapped out for Parrying Dagger with Parrying Weapon enchant on it. It's a Parrying Parrying Dagger so I can parry while I parry. >.>;

Still not sure what goes in the "critical" slot on weapon info, though.
◕/◕'s

ShadowFox89

The weapon enhancement should tell you what bonus you get on a crit.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Shjade

Ah, so weapons don't naturally have any kind of crit value? It's only based on enhancements? Okay.
◕/◕'s

ShadowFox89

When you crit with a weapon, you do max damage dice for the attacking power.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Shjade

Ah, so crit's determined at the hitting stage, and then it auto-maxes the damage roll, but enhancements add more on top of that. Is that right? Okay.

After filling in that bit and fiddling with scores a little (figured out a more efficient point buy order to get up another mod tier in dex), I think that sheet's done.
◕/◕'s

ShadowFox89

Kyru stands at around 5'5 with bright blue-green eyes and flowing straight sky blue hair that just touches her waist. In her hand is a tall ashen staff, topped by a round ruby. Kyru wears dark blue ornate robes that cover her slight chest and reach down to her feet. Dark red tattoos weave across her body in spirals and swirls, though it's hard to tell just how much they cover.

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=12786

Here's my telepathic eladrin.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

Well, we have about the amount of players needed to test this at a minimum. I've got three sheets open right now, and Muse might give us a fourth.

Still no preference with the particular quest? I've got Hyena down for 1. :P

ShadowFox89

2 sounds like it has plenty of chances for some fun.....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Shjade

Hm. From a practical standpoint, #1 sounds like it has the most concrete goal to accomplish, which probably means a more compact/linear story with a distinct end point. Sounds like the better option for a "test" run.

Could always go from there into #2 if things are really rolling well with the group after the first quest?

Unrelated: in attempting to recreate Sara in Dark Souls, I have been reminded how much I dislike using a rapier in Dark Souls. -.-
◕/◕'s

Laughing Hyena

Okay come on. Muse and Tengu! Get a move on! ^_^

I have snakes to kill and yuan-ti to screw!

ShadowFox89

And cute, innocent eladrin to not get into the pants of. >.>

Though she doesn't wear pants.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Flying Tengu

Ok, my busy time is beginning to lighten up; I should be able to make a character shortly.

I note, however, that, not counting my character, we seem to be at 1 male and 3 female characters.  Perhaps, being primarily interested in heterosex, I should make my character male, bringing it to a comfortable 2 to 3?  I think I can hammer my warlord concept into a male.  If my count is wrong, I'll go with a half-elf female bard.

ShadowFox89

Yeah, going male would be fine I think.

Kyra doesn't really know much about the other gender, if it helps >.>
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Muse

*Waves*  Still interested and have some time today.
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Laughing Hyena

Then get that sexy gal out for us Muse. I know thats what ya love. And that way Tengu gets his male character. So we get a 2 male and 3 female ratio.

Inerrant Lust

I will set up the game on Roll20.net this weekend. Your characters will already have their tokens with a little sheet attached, plus permissions to edit/move... so all you have to do is roll a few dice and move them around. :P

The forum-based part of the game will likely be posted up this weekend as well, but expect to roll initiative probably by the end of my introductory post.  ::)

Flying Tengu

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on September 18, 2013, 03:35:11 PM
Then get that sexy gal out for us Muse. I know thats what ya love. And that way Tengu gets his male character. So we get a 2 male and 3 female ratio.

Ah... Muse actually talked me into sticking with my female character, a half-elf bard.  I hope that doesn't screw up the ratio too badly!  This is really the one I wanted to go with, though.

I'm, like, 80% done.  Just need gear and 1 feat.  Oh, and a dilettante power.  Right.

EDIT:  Oh, and rituals.  Maybe I should bump that 80% down to 70%... if the first thing that's happening is a fight, though, that'll be ready sooner, as I won't need to have rituals finished.

ShadowFox89

It just means Hyena's guy has the pick of three elf/eladrin/half-elf gals....

Inerrant, did you ever reach a decision on backgrounds and themes?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Flying Tengu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on September 18, 2013, 05:13:11 PM
It just means Hyena's guy has the pick of three elf/eladrin/half-elf gals...

Lucky guy!

Hey Inerrant Lust, I actually ran into a little problem.  I was taking the glamorous armor that you invented.  I noticed that for chain, it actually gets worse when you go from +1 to +2.  You lose 1 point of AC, and since the check and speed penalties are already nil at this point, the only positive change is that the weight gets further reduced by half, which is probably not worth the -1 AC.  Maybe make the penalty to AC a flat -4, that doesn't increase with higher bonuses?

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

ShadowFox89

We have a warlord, fighter, rogue, wizard, and psion.

So a leader, defender, striker, and 2 controllers.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Flying Tengu

Ok, here's the character sheet so far.  Just need rituals, and to spend my remaining 300g.

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=12816

AndyZ

Sounds like you're most likely full up, then.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Laughing Hyena

Inerrant Lust

Quote from: Flying Tengu on September 18, 2013, 05:28:14 PM
Lucky guy!

Hey Inerrant Lust, I actually ran into a little problem.  I was taking the glamorous armor that you invented.  I noticed that for chain, it actually gets worse when you go from +1 to +2.  You lose 1 point of AC, and since the check and speed penalties are already nil at this point, the only positive change is that the weight gets further reduced by half, which is probably not worth the -1 AC.  Maybe make the penalty to AC a flat -4, that doesn't increase with higher bonuses?

It's actually more complex than it looks, and difficult to describe... Basically the Armor itself loses 2 AC. You get 1 back from the Enchantment... but also an AC bonus equal to your Charisma modifier or +2 (whichever's lower)
In 3.5, this would be much more useful since it could stack with other bonuses. However, in 4e I've decided to make that AC bonus transferrable to Reflex, Fortitude, or Will as a minor action.

So in essence, if you have enough Charisma... the AC that the armor alone provides you is unchanged. You get +1 or +2 from enhancement, but can also transfer 2 or 4 points of AC into your 'saves'

In-universe... the armor might reveal some cleavage or abs, but it compensates by shielding your body with an invisible force. Since 4e no longer has different kinds of defense modifiers, the 'floating bonus' is meant to represent that. Slightly overpowered compared to other enhancements (especially Magic Weapon/Magic Armor), but it's super lore-friendly. :P

Shjade; Use an Estoc! Estoc is Bestoc.  ;D

Shadow; Lore-friendliness isn't required for this test run. :P You can play dovahki- I mean dragonborn and I wouldn't have any problems with it... even though I never factored in 4e races in the setting. ::)

Also I made a mistake on starting gp total; It should be 4,480! ::)

I can work with 6 players... Combat will be extremely slow, though... No matter how much easier Roll20.net makes the actual gaming go, you would have to wait for five other people to check in the website and take an action before I can advance the next turn....

Flying Tengu

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on September 18, 2013, 06:27:48 PM
It's actually more complex than it looks, and difficult to describe... Basically the Armor itself loses 2 AC. You get 1 back from the Enchantment... but also an AC bonus equal to your Charisma modifier or +2 (whichever's lower)
In 3.5, this would be much more useful since it could stack with other bonuses. However, in 4e I've decided to make that AC bonus transferrable to Reflex, Fortitude, or Will as a minor action.

Heh, sorry, I'm afraid I still don't get it.  Let me talk through how I see it, and let me know if I'm right.

With Glamorous Chain +1, the chain AC goes from 6 to 4.  However, the armor check penalty goes down by 1, and the speed check penalty goes down by 1, to 0 each.  The +1 improves the AC back to 5.  Then, as long as you have 2 or more charisma, you get an extra +2 to your AC, making it 7 ac, no armor check or speed penalty, half weight, and with a power.  As you say, that's pretty darn good!

With Glamorous Chain +2, the chain AC goes from 6 to 2 (For every step in enchantment, this item reduces the armor bonus of the item by 2).  The armor check penalty and speed check penalty still go down to 0, no change.  You still get 2 from your charisma, and an extra+1 from enhancement, giving a final of 6 AC, no armor check or speed penalty, 1/4 weight, and the same power.  By my reading, you pay more money, lose 1 AC, and get 1/4 off the weight.

Or... do you add 2 to the potential charisma bonus each time, so at the +2 enchantment level you can add up to +4 for charisma?  That IS good.

Anyway, that's how I'm getting confused.  I did go ahead and get the armor anyway, because I want to be sexy, but I figure I must be doing something wrong with either the +1 or the +2  version.  Really, though, it's no big deal since I went ahead and bought the stuff anyway; just let me know if I need to make any change!  And thanks for spending time reading all my questions; hope it's not too much of a bother!

Inerrant Lust

QuoteOr... do you add 2 to the potential charisma bonus each time, so at the +2 enchantment level you can add up to +4 for charisma?  That IS good.

Yes. This. Exactly. :P

I didn't put a third tier to the enchantment since nobody could afford it anyways, but yeah- it would continue to subtract AC until you have no more AC to lose. In fluff, consider each subtraction the loss of more and more coverage until 0 is pretty much a thong and a string bikini. ;) Because this.  ;D

Laughing Hyena

Also I made a mistake on starting gp total; It should be 4,480! ::)

Heheh!!!spending then!

Muse

I have Kumiko started.  Will do more when Andy Z wakes up and can help me again... 

Oh, should I stick with Skill Training, or take a different feat? 

Shjade

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on September 18, 2013, 06:27:48 PM
Shjade; Use an Estoc! Estoc is Bestoc.  ;D

Estoc has all the same problems as the rapier: short range (compared to any spear, all of which are more than twice the range of any thrusting sword and swing at roughly the same speed as the swords), very low damage, extremely narrow hitbox, no extra effects (mainly bleed). They're just really awkward weapons to use compared to a lot of other options in the game.

Hm. Extra 1k gold, eh? I guess I should look into using that.
◕/◕'s

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

Quote from: Shjade on September 18, 2013, 07:19:40 PM
Estoc has all the same problems as the rapier: short range (compared to any spear, all of which are more than twice the range of any thrusting sword and swing at roughly the same speed as the swords), very low damage, extremely narrow hitbox, no extra effects (mainly bleed). They're just really awkward weapons to use compared to a lot of other options in the game.

Hm. Extra 1k gold, eh? I guess I should look into using that.

But you can block and stab simultaneously!

It's up to you, Muse- skill training might be useful but primarily my priority will be on testing combat in the mapviewer. In my games, things like Acrobatics and Endurance can be used aplenty in combat situations if you can come up with the application...

Flying Tengu

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on September 18, 2013, 06:55:54 PM
Yes. This. Exactly. :P

I didn't put a third tier to the enchantment since nobody could afford it anyways, but yeah- it would continue to subtract AC until you have no more AC to lose. In fluff, consider each subtraction the loss of more and more coverage until 0 is pretty much a thong and a string bikini. ;) Because this.  ;D

Ah, ok, gotcha!

Thanks again for explaining it to me.

Shjade

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on September 18, 2013, 07:28:09 PM
But you can block and stab simultaneously!

Which you can also do with a spear at longer range and doing higher damage.

@Shadowfox: he's referencing books and abilities in that which I haven't read and don't know. He talks about how Deft Blade becomes better than Piercing Strike; I have no idea what Deft Blade is.

Thanks for the link, though. I'm fixing some things based on his notes; I didn't realize being proficient with a Parrying Dagger is different from being proficient with Daggers, for instance. -.-

Okay...alright. After some more revising, editing and general cleanup, I think it might be finished and not riddled with errors. Maybe. Possibly.

Sara Chance, the relink for ease of access.
◕/◕'s

ShadowFox89

Yeah, that's the only reason I use CharOps stuff :P

Not to play a minmax'd character, but to not fall into mechanical traps that will be detrimental to the characters/
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Shjade

I was rather pleased to find that, except for the things I was using wrongly (not proficient in the weapons I thought I was proficient in, etc.), I'd pretty much picked either the best options available in the standard PHB or at least abilities that were Good to Recommended in his opinion, so I didn't really change much other than fixing proficiencies and exchanging a couple of abilities for ones that weren't in the PHB. Flash of the Blade* sounded rather appealing, for one, though it's slightly concerning that he didn't mention it at all, suggesting he thinks it isn't a feat worth taking; I'm guessing it's because he'd assume a rogue should never be attacking something that doesn't have an ally adjacent to it. But whatever, it fits the character's flavor perfectly so I pretty much was obligated to take it.

Switched the parrying dagger to just a regular ol' dagger with the parrying weapon enchant on it rather than waste another feat for proficiency with parrying daggers (which is so dumb).

*on the off chance anyone in the thread doesn't know what this does, it's in Dragon Magazine 381 for reference. It's a Rogue-only, Rapier-only feat that enables you to do your Sneak Attack damage any time you do damage with a rapier regardless of whether you have Combat Advantage on the target, as long as no allies are adjacent to it. So it's an anti-flanking sneak attack, basically.
◕/◕'s

Inerrant Lust

https://app.roll20.net/join/198859/TRwxlA

Well, there's the game. I'm playing around with the features now but I'll get up a thread in a bit. :P

Once you join, I'll give you permissions to mess with your token.  ;)

Lockepick

I've actually really been itching for a 3.5/PF game... Is this one still recruiting, or is it full? If it's full: is there some kind of wait list I can get on?
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Flying Tengu

I'm pretty sure I've joined.  Like, 90% sure.  That's pretty good, right?

So, about how we use it... do I gather correctly that the person whose name is highlighted in green indicates whose turn it is?  Then, on our turn, we can move our little token around, announce actions, roll dice as appropriate?  I imagine it will be more clear to me as we use it.

Inerrant Lust

Sorry, Locke- but yeah, this will be a real short game in 4e and I want to just breeze through it fairly quickly before I have to go to the field for a bit next month.

Ayup. I'm figuring out the initiative tool now, though I think it's just an interface thing. You might be able to move your character around at any time with the permissions I've set. Honor system kind of deal. :P

And yes, that entire screen is just me dicking around with the interface and not part of the game. :P

Thorn14

Sorry if it said I joined. I was just wanting to peek at the website.

Laughing Hyena

Nice. Innerant I left a message in the roll20 session so hopefully you'd know whom I am. Begins with a D so there ya go. ^_^

Just let us know when time wise we are supposed to meet and I'll be there.

Oh and Muse, you'd better make your character, fast!

Shjade

Well, fuck. I'd get into Roll 20 here at work, but apparently my laptop is so out of date it can't actually use the site functions there (Safari 4 on a macbook running OSX 10.4, whee). So I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to mess with it.
◕/◕'s

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Shjade

Alright, did the roll20 joining thing. Fortunately I'd already made an account last year for another friend's game so not much to set up.
◕/◕'s

Inerrant Lust

I am sorry that this hasn't started yet. As I said before, I'm going to the field in a few weeks. Much of my time at work has been spent getting ready and as such, I've been very tired by the time I get home- so certain projects have to get put on the backburner. RPs that haven't even started yet are included in that category... x_x

Laughing Hyena