The Purge (movie 2013) Am I missing something?

Started by Inkidu, May 26, 2013, 05:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

How exactly is making all crime legal for one night going to reduce the crime rate? I mean, I'm a firm believer in the willful suspension of disbelief, but as far as contrived plot excuses go this one's so contrived I can't even just let it happen in my brain.

Did someone else figure it out yet, because I can't figure out (other than being a really weak excuse to have a home invasion flick) how it's supposed to work as intended. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Skynet

People work out all their anti-social, violent impulses in those 12 hours, after which they resume being productive members of society.  This way, crime and unemployment remains low as they bottle up their resentment until the next Purge.

Inkidu

Quote from: Skynet on May 26, 2013, 06:42:33 PM
People work out all their anti-social, violent impulses in those 12 hours, after which they resume being productive members of society.  This way, crime and unemployment remains low as they bottle up their resentment until the next Purge.
That's not actually going to stop crime though, I doubt in reality it would put a damper in the numbers. :\
I mean there's still going to be murder, stealing, and robbery. People aren't going to save it all for one day.

It's not going to make the world a better place, because the good, honest people aren't going to go out and kill, and they're going to be hunted by violent maladjusted psychopaths. Soon you're going to have a nation of closet psychos. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on May 26, 2013, 07:17:22 PM
That's not actually going to stop crime though, I doubt in reality it would put a damper in the numbers. :\
I mean there's still going to be murder, stealing, and robbery. People aren't going to save it all for one day.

It's not going to make the world a better place, because the good, honest people aren't going to go out and kill, and they're going to be hunted by violent maladjusted psychopaths. Soon you're going to have a nation of closet psychos. :\
And that's why that movie is stupid.  Because no one thought that far ahead.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 26, 2013, 08:14:52 PM
And that's why that movie is stupid.  Because no one thought that far ahead.
It's kind of a backward premise then. I actually thought it was going to be some kind of dystopian piece, but it's really just a contrived home-invasion-horror story. :|

Neysha

What Skynet said.

You're supposed to have enough suspension of disbelief that his explanation makes sense, even if you think about it, it really doesn't.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Inkidu

Quote from: Neysha on May 26, 2013, 09:38:29 PM
What Skynet said.

You're supposed to have enough suspension of disbelief that his explanation makes sense, even if you think about it, it really doesn't.
As someone who prides himself on his nearly infinite ability to suspend his disbelief, I've got to think that it's pretty weak to not work on me. :\

Beguile's Mistress

Wasn't this same plot device or one like it used in a Star Trek episode in the original series?

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on May 26, 2013, 07:17:22 PM

Considering the "good, honest people" are the closet psychos (the not-good, not-honest people tend to not be so closeted about it), I'm not sure I understand your position. ;p
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Beorning

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on May 26, 2013, 11:06:49 PM
Wasn't this same plot device or one like it used in a Star Trek episode in the original series?

Yup. Although in the episode in question, the planet's population was actually mind-controlled into being law-abiding etc. IIRC, the "festival" was the only moment when the control was lifted, so that people would get all these evil impulses out of their system...

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on May 26, 2013, 11:19:31 PM
Considering the "good, honest people" are the closet psychos (the not-good, not-honest people tend to not be so closeted about it), I'm not sure I understand your position. ;p
I'll never tell. :]

Seriously though not everyone's a closet psycho. Most people don't want to go out and kill a person at least for reals. In honesty if such a scenario were to exist people would go out and rob banks on the one day where it's legal. Go steal a tank or explosive, blow open a bank, instant rich. :\

That's why I think it's a bit weird. Yeah, there would be murder, but most murders are crimes of passion and would happen regardless of a legal murder day. :|

Beguile's Mistress

So a couple guys are sitting around drinking beer, commiserating over being dumped/getting fired or audited/grousing about the a-hole that cut them off on the freeway/etc.  One thing leads to another, politics is tossed into the cauldron and - voila! - a movie is born. 

"I'd love to have just one day where I can..."

Inkidu

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on May 27, 2013, 09:57:30 AM
So a couple guys are sitting around drinking beer, commiserating over being dumped/getting fired or audited/grousing about the a-hole that cut them off on the freeway/etc.  One thing leads to another, politics is tossed into the cauldron and - voila! - a movie is born. 

"I'd love to have just one day where I can..."
Yeah, I know, but it just doesn't click. Seriously, is killing the A-hole who cut you off in traffic worth getting killed yourself for lesser reason?
You might accuse me of thinking too hard about this, but I'm hardly firing one cylinder here.
I thought harder about Avatar (the Cameron movie). :\

Beguile's Mistress

When you're making a movie you need money.  To get money you need a story that will sell and will attract stars.  Think "Falling Down" with Michael Douglas.  That movies started a genre of its own and was the first domino to fall.  However, in the entertainment industry the next movie needs to be bigger, better, hotter.  Some producers and directors can maintain the quality and grow the genre.  Some producers and directors don't care about quality or growth.  They want fast money rolling in, less money spent and a ticket to the next project.

Neysha

An annual purge is the best way to cleanse society of homeless, illegal immigrants, the unsavory lower clssses and other undesirables. Or at least that's what the website alludes to.
My Request Thread
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Mathim

My understanding (when I first heard about this months ago) was that the reason they did this was because prison overcrowding meant they couldn't afford to arrest any more people. So apparently suspending law enforcement for 12 hours is more humane than simply executing prisoners. Go figure.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

Quote from: Neysha on May 27, 2013, 10:15:23 AM
An annual purge is the best way to cleanse society of homeless, illegal immigrants, the unsavory lower clssses and other undesirables. Or at least that's what the website alludes to.
That I could buy, but all the promo material I've seen alludes to it being a home-invasion slasher flick. :\ Of a fairly affluent family who has blast doors on their domicile.

So maybe it's the homeless, illegal immigrants trying to kill an affluent family and steal their home when it's totally legal. In which case, I don't think that's what the purge was aiming for.

*resists urge to give slow clap*

BeMi: I get how movies are made :P
I'm talking about it as a plausible concept that I personally find lacking. :\

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Inkidu on May 27, 2013, 11:09:37 AM
BeMi: I get how movies are made :P
I'm talking about it as a plausible concept that I personally find lacking. :\

I know that. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the people who came up with story don't care what anyone really thinks of it so I don't think about it because I don't care about them since all they care about is money.

Inkidu

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on May 27, 2013, 11:23:36 AM
I know that. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the people who came up with story don't care what anyone really thinks of it so I don't think about it because I don't care about them since all they care about is money.
Oh, okay. I got it now. ^_^; Sorry about the confusion.

RubySlippers

Its a movie I assume its a combination of letting out ones stress and dark desires a half day a year, reduced population getting rid of those in the bad strata of society and likely a strong social safety net in the background.

But its a movie. It has to be better than Twilight and that boring Robin Hood remake.

Neysha

Quote from: Inkidu on May 27, 2013, 11:09:37 AM
That I could buy, but all the promo material I've seen alludes to it being a home-invasion slasher flick. :\ Of a fairly affluent family who has blast doors on their domicile.

So maybe it's the homeless, illegal immigrants trying to kill an affluent family and steal their home when it's totally legal. In which case, I don't think that's what the purge was aiming for.

*resists urge to give slow clap*

Except that they were pursuing someone into their home, not targeting the house itself. As made somewhat clear in the trailer, they were apparently more then comfortable with leaving said family alone if they turned their prey over.

My Request Thread

Inkidu

I didn't see that trailer I guess. :\
I typically don't watch them online, and I haven't seen a long tailer on T.V.

Valterre

I get where they're coming from saying that it reduces the crime rate because everyone just waits for the Purge to do all their raping/stealing/killing, it's just not a good enough explanation for me to find believable really.

Inkidu

Quote from: Valterre on May 27, 2013, 10:19:36 PM
I get where they're coming from saying that it reduces the crime rate because everyone just waits for the Purge to do all their raping/stealing/killing, it's just not a good enough explanation for me to find believable really.
Well, something like seventy percent of all crimes are crime of passion, so ultimately a purge wouldn't do anything for them. The next big thing would be drugs and gangs. The former is going to happen anyway, no way they're waiting for one day to make all their money, the latter would have the cohesion to put down any threat to them from anything less than another gang. They might agree to wait to duke it out. Other than that the only people who could foster enough murderous intent to wait a whole year are psychopaths.

I agree hackneyed premise .

Jennifer swallows

Quote from: Inkidu on May 27, 2013, 10:27:01 PMThe next big thing would be drugs and gangs. The former is going to happen anyway, no way they're waiting for one day to make all their money,

Hello, I'm new hear, just wanted to drop in and say a few words. Love horror movies my self, but not really feeling this one. however, your comment, especially the line i quoted up top, brought a very humorous image to mind. I can just picture some junkie saving all of his money all year round, with a pile of it stacked in the corner of his crack house, just counting down the days till the "purge".