Final Fantasy VII Remake

Started by Vekseid, May 10, 2019, 07:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Mathim

That looks almost impossible. I mean, the length of the original game and story, I just can't imagine them giving the entire thing that kind of treatment, the expense and amount of time it would take to do it proper justice. They're likely going to change a lot along the way.

And I'm not sure what to make of that battle system. I love a standard JRPG so having it become more active makes me wonder how magic and summons and the like will work.

I kind of have a wishlist of things I wanted a remake to have and in spite of how beautiful it all seems, I don't think any of them will be addressed in this one.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

I expect it will look a lot like Final Fantasy XV in the dialogue structure. You'll have a lot of cut-scenes but probably the bulk of it will still be read dialogue. I honestly don't know what to expect from this game, and in twenty years when I get to play it I hope to be pleasantly surprised. The size might be part of why they decided to break it into episodes (don't know if that's still a thing).

I would have probably been happy with half-remake half-HD-Remaster. Final Fantasy VII could use far better graphics, but I'd honestly love the script to get a touch up (not a rewrite per se but it's far from perfect as people think. It is plagued with translation errors and actual grammar errors too). Say what you want about Woosley but he was flawless in his grammar.

Honestly, my big hope is that Square-Enix will get buttered up enough to give the remakes of VIII and IX. Kind of like how enthused Capcom seems to be for say the Nemesis remake.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on May 10, 2019, 09:55:31 AM
I expect it will look a lot like Final Fantasy XV in the dialogue structure. You'll have a lot of cut-scenes but probably the bulk of it will still be read dialogue. I honestly don't know what to expect from this game, and in twenty years when I get to play it I hope to be pleasantly surprised. The size might be part of why they decided to break it into episodes (don't know if that's still a thing).

I would have probably been happy with half-remake half-HD-Remaster. Final Fantasy VII could use far better graphics, but I'd honestly love the script to get a touch up (not a rewrite per se but it's far from perfect as people think. It is plagued with translation errors and actual grammar errors too). Say what you want about Woosley but he was flawless in his grammar.

Honestly, my big hope is that Square-Enix will get buttered up enough to give the remakes of VIII and IX. Kind of like how enthused Capcom seems to be for say the Nemesis remake.

I still want a remake (in the style of the DS versions of Final Fantasy 3 and 4) to happen for 5 and 6.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Formless

Quote from: Inkidu on May 10, 2019, 09:55:31 AM

One thing I hope for is not to pour all efforts into graphics like they did with FFXV, and do nothing about the story.

As much as I want an impressive spectacle of a game, I’d rather put their efforts on the gameplay and story aspects. We fell in love with FFVII even when it had simpler graphics, they can do it again.

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on May 10, 2019, 10:23:19 AM
I still want a remake (in the style of the DS versions of Final Fantasy 3 and 4) to happen for 5 and 6.
I kind of think maybe a Octopath Traveler might suit them better. I love my Final Fantasy IV DS but I really think cramming tons more pixels and making it look closer to manual art is probably the way to go at this point.

Unless they want to do a more realistic 3D go of it then yeah, I could go for that.

Honestly the nature of remakes always bugs me because it's really the only way we can preserve games. They're just too difficult to store. Tech moves too fast. Emulators are good, but they're getting taken down. We need a Library of Congress for video games, though the LoC does actually keep some. It's really weirdly murky.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on May 10, 2019, 10:34:10 AM
I kind of think maybe a Octopath Traveler might suit them better. I love my Final Fantasy IV DS but I really think cramming tons more pixels and making it look closer to manual art is probably the way to go at this point.

Unless they want to do a more realistic 3D go of it then yeah, I could go for that.

Whatever gets rid of the buggy problems I had with them. Especially if they throw in the bonus content from the Gameboy Advance remakes.

It's hard to tell what fundamental changes they're making to the game but with how they look to be reformatting dungeons I'm betting there will be fewer of them, not more, which is one thing I really wanted the remake to have before seeing the trailer. Most of my wish list items for it involved there being more dungeons. Turning all the materia caves you needed to breed Chocobos to get (including two more such caves) into dungeons, turning Lucrecia's hideaway into one where Vincent's past is delved into more deeply, and enough new ones to make the long stretches of open ocean not quite so desolate, where each party member will be able to find a brand new Triple AP weapon so not just Cloud and Cid have them.

Azuresun

The real question we need to ask is--will Cloud give the right advice about how to fight the mecha-scorpion this time?  :D

Inkidu

Quote from: Azuresun on May 10, 2019, 03:58:16 PM
The real question we need to ask is--will Cloud give the right advice about how to fight the mecha-scorpion this time?  :D
*Has flashbacks*

0__0;

The horror... the horror...

Mathim

I could be wrong but it looks at least a little bit like the battle system now resembles Dragon Quest XI wherein the character whose turn it is can be moved about the battlefield (although in DQXI it doesn't really actually serve a function so far as I'm aware) so maybe it'll be something like they have to move behind the boss to avoid it this time.

Vekseid

Quote from: Mathim on May 10, 2019, 07:38:34 AM
That looks almost impossible. I mean, the length of the original game and story, I just can't imagine them giving the entire thing that kind of treatment, the expense and amount of time it would take to do it proper justice. They're likely going to change a lot along the way.

It is going to be episodic, though the reception to that has been mixed.

Mathim

I don't think I've ever played a game like that. Is each episode going to be its own game or is the first one going to be the official game and all the rest will be DLC?

Formless

Quote from: Mathim on May 11, 2019, 07:21:52 PM
I don't think I've ever played a game like that. Is each episode going to be its own game or is the first one going to be the official game and all the rest will be DLC?
If its like other games that used similar format, then the whole game is broken down to pieces. Like the first part is Midgar, the second part is reaching Gold Saucer ... etc.

Mathim

At that rate I'll be retired by the time they make the episode where you get to the crater to face Sephiroth.

Inkidu

You know the game is long, but it's not really that long, if you take out all the side content and things you don't have to do to beat the game, and let's not count grinding I'd reckon that FF VII isn't longer than VIII or IX. Speedrunners have it down to about seven hours without turbos, slots, and on PS1 disk so lets say it takes a layman six times as long to beat it that's still 42 hours of gameplay and most of that's grinding. The game is also not gaemplay dense. I could see episodes working for this, and even if you don't like it I think that a Complete Edition will come out at some point.

Formless

Quote from: Inkidu on May 13, 2019, 08:42:08 PM
You know the game is long, but it's not really that long, if you take out all the side content and things you don't have to do to beat the game, and let's not count grinding I'd reckon that FF VII isn't longer than VIII or IX. Speedrunners have it down to about seven hours without turbos, slots, and on PS1 disk so lets say it takes a layman six times as long to beat it that's still 42 hours of gameplay and most of that's grinding. The game is also not gaemplay dense. I could see episodes working for this, and even if you don't like it I think that a Complete Edition will come out at some point.

Thing is ... One of the main things I want out of this remake is added side content ... So hopefully since it'll be episodic (As much as I hate that) they'll focus on adding more side content to each episode.

Inkidu

Nothing will ever be as fun as Triple Triad and we're just going to have to accept that and move on. :3

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on May 14, 2019, 07:19:43 AM
Nothing will ever be as fun as Triple Triad and we're just going to have to accept that and move on. :3

Hey, even Triple Triad could have been expanded upon. More challenging rules, more cards, etc. But never bring back the abomination that is Tetra Master.

Skynet

I liked this guy's take on things he hopes to see in the remake:

Quote– Cloud entering a squat competition
– Barret in his lil sailor suit
– Palmer getting hit by a truck
– Tifa and Scarlet's slap fight
– That dolphin flinging Cloud up to Junon
– Sephiroth's Super Nova, but twice as long
– HELL HOUSE

Also whether or not they keep in the @#$% censored swear words said by Barrett and others.

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on May 15, 2019, 07:59:09 AM
Hey, even Triple Triad could have been expanded upon. More challenging rules, more cards, etc. But never bring back the abomination that is Tetra Master.
Seriously, who knows $@#%& hexadecimal off the top of their head, then it's RNG atop of that.

Formless

Can we hope for a better involvement of the Turks? I hope they do not turn them into absolute goofballs like they did in the movie.

Mathim

Quote from: Formless on May 18, 2019, 02:16:32 PM
Can we hope for a better involvement of the Turks? I hope they do not turn them into absolute goofballs like they did in the movie.

In what way? Like as playable characters? I don't think I'd like that very much. Maybe a little bit more backstory at most. I liked the way they were written as is, although it's kind of interesting that the best portrayal of them, in my opinion, is of when we see them in action during a completely optional sidequest (during the Yuffie Materia Theft thing in Wutai).

Formless

No, not as playable characters.

But perhaps a better conclusion to their story in the game. After the optional confrontation near the end, we don’t know what happened to them.

As for the, Yuffie side quest, agreed.

Inkidu

Quote from: Formless on May 18, 2019, 02:16:32 PM
But they're supposed to be absolute goofballs. It's a whole Japanese trope called Goldfish Poop Gang

I'm not kidding. They start out as a threat but are supposed to get less threatening with each encounter. Since their arc starts in the game and generally ends in the movie, they're still supposed to be goofballs.

Skynet

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2019, 08:09:42 PM
But they're supposed to be absolute goofballs. It's a whole Japanese trope called Goldfish Poop Gang

I'm not kidding. They start out as a threat but are supposed to get less threatening with each encounter. Since their arc starts in the game and generally ends in the movie, they're still supposed to be goofballs.

To me they still remained a bit intimidating, given what happened with the Sector 7 slums and that theme music... :o