News:

Main Menu

Workout info

Started by Kurzyk, October 08, 2009, 11:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurzyk

Does anyone have any information about gym exercise programs; how the machines work, affects on the body, corresponding diets etc.?

We're starting a gym membership soon, and I'm clueless on how things work. I used to work out aeons ago but i've forgotten.

There's so much information on the internet it's hard to know what's reliable so I'd really appreciate any info. Thanks :)

Vekseid

1) Don't buy the crap in their stores. Make it a personal rule - do not even enter.
2) Get a vitamin supplement - again, not the overpriced stuff the gym store sells. I use 'one a day mens' because it doesn't have iron in it.
3) You will want a high-protein, sustaining diet. Working out will not do you a lick of good if you are not actually building muscle from it. 500 calories of protein on a ~2000 calorie diet is appropriate for me in a heavy workout load. Going below 1,500 calories is dangerous: Don't.

As for the workout regimen itself, it varies depending on your needs - if you want to build cardiovascular endurance, elliptical machines are a good place to start (and it may save you money just to buy one and commit each other to using it). If you think they become too easy, start doing them in reverse.

For building strength, I rotated three to five sets of: bench press, torso twists, curls, leg press, arm flies, leg curls, lat pulls, thigh expansions and thigh contractions. I maxed out most of the lower body equipment at Bally's, so ideally I'd rather get my own someday : /

Kurzyk

Thanks Veks!

Quote from: Vekseid on October 08, 2009, 01:00:02 PM
1) Don't buy the crap in their stores. Make it a personal rule - do not even enter.

Yea and it's probably really overpriced also. Ill definetly remember that.

Quote2) Get a vitamin supplement - again, not the overpriced stuff the gym store sells. I use 'one a day mens' because it doesn't have iron in it.

Ah nice I already take the one a day mens.

3) You will want a high-protein, sustaining diet. Working out will not do you a lick of good if you are not actually building muscle from it. 500 calories of protein on a ~2000 calorie diet is appropriate for me in a heavy workout load. Going below 1,500 calories is dangerous: Don't.

Ok will do. From what I understand losing excess fat is basically burning off more calories than we take in daily right? So would that explain why going under 1500 is risky? Trying to remember my human biology. heh

QuoteAs for the workout regimen itself, it varies depending on your needs - if you want to build cardiovascular endurance, elliptical machines are a good place to start (and it may save you money just to buy one and commit each other to using it). If you think they become too easy, start doing them in reverse.

That's good advice. We actually used to have an elliptical but rarely used it. We're hoping the membership and commute to it would give us a more structured incentive to stay for a full workout. Once we get accustomed to working out on a regular basis we'll probably switch to being at home.

QuoteFor building strength, I rotated three to five sets of: bench press, torso twists, curls, leg press, arm flies, leg curls, lat pulls, thigh expansions and thigh contractions. I maxed out most of the lower body equipment at Bally's, so ideally I'd rather get my own someday : /

That's impressive. On a regular workout, what kind of rotations did you do? Like did you do a set of 10 for each going around the room then back again?

Oniya

Going under 1500 calories is basically starving yourself.  2000 calories per day is average for an adult, as I recall.  Starving yourself can actually wreak havoc on your metabolism, and make it harder to lose weight, and you run the risk of the body turning to muscle tissue (including the heart) as a source of fuel.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kurzyk

Oh yes, I remember that from biology, the body starts to eat itself. Fascinating.

Vekseid

Quote from: Kurzyk on October 08, 2009, 01:09:20 PM
Ok will do. From what I understand losing excess fat is basically burning off more calories than we take in daily right? So would that explain why going under 1500 is risky? Trying to remember my human biology. heh

The actual limit is 1,200, but you are also working out, and you want roughly one-sixth of your actual -needs- to be protein. So if you're a 2,000 calorie a day person, you can safely cut 500 carbs and fats out of your diet, but going below that starts cutting into what your body uses for various support.

When I could afford it, my diet consisted of eggs, tilapia, etc. for protein, milk, bananas, cantaloupe, etc. for potassium (you will regret not, hard), and a high-fiber cereal. You can mix things up a bit, there's quite a lot you can eat.

That's good advice. We actually used to have an elliptical but rarely used it. We're hoping the membership and commute to it would give us a more structured incentive to stay for a full workout. Once we get accustomed to working out on a regular basis we'll probably switch to being at home.

That's impressive. On a regular workout, what kind of rotations did you do? Like did you do a set of 10 for each going around the room then back again?

It depended in part on how seriously underweighted the machines were. For bench and leg presses, as well as curls, I wasn't limited so I could do the typical three sets of eight. For things like obliques (torso twisting) and thighs, I eventually maxed out the machines and even creative ways of adding weight ran their course, so I'd do stuff like five sets of twelve.

Sucked for the thighs, that er, builds libido fast >_>

Aiden

Check if your Gym offers classes.

Mine in particular offers, Muay Tai and Kick boxing, add a few classes in between to keep you interested in working out, Mix it up.

The Dandy

Weight-wise, free weights are where it's at. Compound lifts should be primary and isolated lifts should be used to supplement them. In order to save time I recommend you read "The New Rules of Lifting" by Alwyn Cosgrove, anything by Chad Waterbury (Such as "Huge in a Hurry" or "Muscle Revolution"), "Power to the People" by Pavel Tsatsouline, and anything by Charles Poliquin for starters. Also t-nation.com is a handy website

On the cardio side of things, MMA programs are great and will give you an intense workout. Baring that, sprints are wonderful.
"What does it matter the duration of the damnation to he who tastes the infinite instant of pleasure!" -[Baudelaire]

Cecilia

Nods to the above.  Also, it might be worth it to hire a personal trainer to five you both a run down in the gym and a few alternating workouts.   Also, watching what others ate doing can give you some ideas.  Doing weight training together is a lot of fun. 

I spent more than a year with a specialized nutritionist and one thing that surprised me was her saying that if you are overweight it means you are also malnourished.   She prescribed a super vitamin for every day and a bunch of other supplements.   She didn't sell them, but gave me specific requirements to look for.  Also, always have a protein heavy snack after working out.  I have tons more I could say, but Im meeting my trainer in two minutes!  I'm actuallyvfoing a breif cardio warmup before lifting weights. 

Kurzyk

*nods* Fortunately we get a free first session with a trainer at signup to introduce us to the gym and go over a program.  :-)

Ill take a look at those Dandy, they sound interesting.

And yes I agree with you completely Aiden. Grinding is ok for a while, but we definetly want to get into some different programs. They do offer classes. Plus we have some friends that are tae kwon do instructors and have an awesome school. I'm really interested in that.  :-)

But yes, working out in the context of a program or class is really fun.

Quote from: Vekseid on October 08, 2009, 02:00:34 PM
When I could afford it, my diet consisted of eggs, tilapia, etc. for protein, milk, bananas, cantaloupe, etc. for potassium (you will regret not, hard), and a high-fiber cereal. You can mix things up a bit, there's quite a lot you can eat.

Nice that diet sounds like what we're already eating for the most part. Just have to make some adjustments but shouldn't be too hard.

Quote from: Vekseid on October 08, 2009, 02:00:34 PM
It depended in part on how seriously underweighted the machines were. For bench and leg presses, as well as curls, I wasn't limited so I could do the typical three sets of eight. For things like obliques (torso twisting) and thighs, I eventually maxed out the machines and even creative ways of adding weight ran their course, so I'd do stuff like five sets of twelve.

Sucked for the thighs, that er, builds libido fast >_>

Did you do three sets of eight (or five sets of twelve) in a row on the same machine? Or do you move around the gym and come back? With rotations is it wise to do a set then rest? Or continue with all three before moving on to the next machine?

Cecilia

I think that you can make good use of your time by rotating between sets if the gym isn't too busy.  I hate losing a set just because someone is sitting at a machine to do all their sets. 

I'm going for long and lean not super building, so I do three sets of 15-20 using slightly less than I can actually lift.  I do upper body one day, lower the next, but if I'm doing an upper body workout, I tend to do something like:
one set of a "push" exercise (chest press, shoulder lift, fly press, etc)
one set of abs or lunges or such in between
one set of pulls (rows, latpulls, shoulder pulls etc.)
one set of Abs or lunges and then repeat.

That way I do arms, rest while working something else, another arms, rest while working, another arms.  Everyonce in a while, I bump up the weight so that I can 'barely get ten out" and that adds some strength.  The slow increase in actual weight means I get firm without actually bulking up.  Guys who want to bulk up will have a different regime--heavier weights and fewer repeats.

You can sit at a machine and do all your reps with a 1-2 minute break in between depending on what you are doing, but you don't get as much done as if you get up off the machine and work a different part of your body...lift, jump rope, lift, jump rope, lift---or lift, do step ups, lift do step ups etc...

Oniya

Rotating the exercises also gives the muscles time to rest - which I thought was the point of having 'sets' in the first place.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cecilia

Some people sit at one machine to do their rests between sets.   I find that I can get more done if I rotate different parts of the bodies in between sets.  If there are tons of people at the gym, I will occasionally sit at one machine and wait between sets, or I'll do squats right in front of the machine and leave my towel on it--sort of claiming it as if I were still using it.

Elayne

Calories aren't a bad thing, provided your work load is high enough to burn them.  Michael Phelps eats 7 grilled cheese sandwiches for breakfast after all.

As you increase your work load, you want to increase your food intake slightly to compensate for the greater amount of energy you are burning.  Protein is very important because it helps your muscle tears heal faster, which in turn makes your muscles build faster.

Tuna and chicken are good things.  I also recommend fresh mangoes, which are good for digestion.

A big thing that alot of people forget when they're recommending work out routines is muscle balance, cardio and flexibility.

If you're looking to get big and improve your strength, then free weights is crucial.  If you're looking to get cut and ripped, cardio is actually more efficient.

I recommend spending at least two half hour sessions a week on cardio, preferably three.  Swimming is one of the best, since it's resistance and low impact, but exercise bike is great too.  Running and treadmill are good as well, but be careful of your knees and ankles.  Make sure you have good shoes and socks, or you'll get a heel spur post haste.

In terms of flexibility, make sure you are stretching and limbering up before and after each work out, about 10-15 minutes each.  It'll reduce build ups of lactic acid in your muscles which will in turn reduce your pain.  You won't feel nearly as bad the next day.

Lastly, yes, muscle is important to burning fat overall, so don't neglect strength training.  However, I'm a big fan of working the core.  Don't just go and throw up weights or squats, make sure you include you abdominals, obliques and glutes, that'll help you get the cut/fit look much quicker than just ramming up high impact weights.
"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere