The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireStar

Sam Neill (Jurassic Park) has joined the cast of Thor: Ragnarok.

mia h

The four way DCW crossover has a few more details. The Supergirl episode isn't 'exactly' part of the crossover as it appears none of the main story will be happening there. The story kicks off properly on The Flash with the arrival of the Dominators in a version of the Invasion! story. All of which would lend itself as a way to introduce more meta-humans as they must be running out of particle accelerator victims.
Oh and it appears they'll be letting Deathstroke out to play with the alien invaders.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 26, 2016, 07:49:56 PM
Sam Neill (Jurassic Park) has joined the cast of Thor: Ragnarok.

LOL, neat. Reunited with Jeff Goldblum, finally, after their first visit to Jurassic Park together.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

I wonder if he will be playing one of the cosmic beings? I wonder if might possibly a Watcher.

Benedict Cumberbatch is confirmed for the Infinity war movie.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 29, 2016, 06:27:17 PM
I wonder if he will be playing one of the cosmic beings? I wonder if might possibly a Watcher.

Benedict Cumberbatch is confirmed for the Infinity war movie.

Well, that wasn't hard to predict. They need the heaviest hitters so Doc Strange, Captain Marvel, Thor, Vision, Hulk and Scarlet Witch (exactly the right number for a half-dozen team of Avengers) would all be expected to be the only ones who can really lead the team to have a hope in hell of victory against the likes of Thanos.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

Legends of Tomorrow have released some images of the JSA. The costumes never look great in stills but out of the six JSA members Vixen's costume looks the best of the bunch, but Dr Midnite's costume (2nd left) looks a little off.

Mathim

Two episodes in on Luke Cage and all I have to say is, my fears that it would go the way of Jessica Jones have been put to rest. It. Kicks. Ass. So atmospheric, awesome characters and great performances all around, intriguing plot setup and decent action, definitely building up to something good and I hope it pays off and continues to impress. I've got faith.

SapphireStar

Stargirl's outfit was much better on Smallville. This one looks like it was pieced together at the last minute. Though with the other characters costumes, they could attributed to the era from which they are from. Most of the characters were supposed to be from the 1940s?

How about the new episodes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. introducing new beings to fight? The new director reveal was interesting. In the comics the same character had portrayed Captain America for a time when Cap was frozen in ice.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 30, 2016, 10:12:31 PM
Stargirl's outfit was much better on Smallville. This one looks like it was pieced together at the last minute. Though with the other characters costumes, they could attributed to the era from which they are from. Most of the characters were supposed to be from the 1940s?
I believe the JSA episodes are set in an alternate 1940's so they need to use materials that fit but looking at the costumes side by side with their comic counterparts
Stargirl's is recognisable as the original but without the use of spandex and a bare mid-riff and the mask looks much better than the Smallville one.
Hard to do much with Obsidian's costume but it's in the ball park.
They lost Hourman's big cape and cowl, but if you've hired Patrick Adams you want the audience to see his face.
The LoT version looks like the one they arrow but despite the more muted colors it's recognisable as being Vixen.
Commander Steel looks more like a bargain basement Cpt America, but the Y shaped leather holster looks a little like the blue Y on the comic counterpart.
Dr Midnite one of only two characters in the team created in the 1940's, the red jacket is too muted, the cape has gone and the head gear just looks plain silly and not like the comic counterpart.

Mathim

Just finished Luke Cage. Wow. Bravo, Marvel. Bravo, Netflix. Fantastic. That was more amazing than I could have imagined. I had been concerned about Luke being a little too much like Superman to be interesting but they did an amazing job both limiting the path he could walk even with his power and providing an unforeseen opposition. Extremely impressive. The supporting cast, both protagonists and antagonists, were universally outstanding. Really proud of them for not being afraid to come right out and say racist things, point out blatant racism when Disney usually tiptoes around that, using the n-word all over the place and blending so many elements of the greater MCU into it to make it all come together. I am especially pleased with how, unlike all but Daredevil season 2, Luke Cage does not end neat and tidy and has massive cliffhangers and intriguing plot points and conflicts still present for season 2 or perhaps to appear in The Defenders later on. I think the main thing I was really happy about was...
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Jessica Jones' conspicuous absence. She would have brought down the whole thing. Thank goodness she was only mentioned in passing once or twice.

A few things I could nit-pick...
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Luke and Misty hooking up? I thought she was with Danny Rand, so I was hoping we wouldn't see any romance until the Iron Fist series, although at least she didn't go any further with Luke after their initial one-night stand so she still has the option of hooking up with Danny later like in the comics. Also, all the shit the bad guys were peddling was Hammer tech, even though I would have thought they'd either already been shut down or bought out by other companies after Justin Hammer's indiscretion with springing Ivan Vanko out of prison and the assault of the drone army. And the explanation for Luke's power didn't really account for, at least as far as I remember, his increase in strength. His 'unbreakable' skin and healing factor, yes, but not him being able to lift as much as he does.

SapphireStar

New development for Marvel's The Defenders. Sigourney Weaver has been cast in a large yet "unspecified" role.

mia h

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 09, 2016, 02:00:01 AM
New development for Marvel's The Defenders. Sigourney Weaver has been cast in a large yet "unspecified" role.

Glad they snatched her up before DC got their hands on her.

Almost done with Flash season 2...damn, even better than the first. Why can't DC do their movies as good as their TV stuff? That's a serious disconnect.

mia h

Well, they've announced Suicide Squad will get an extended version around Christmas. Cue internet trolls, ranting and frothing at the mouth about how terrible an idea this and how they've ripped off when they saw it at the movies because this extra 13 minutes wasn't in it etc. etc. because of course no-one has ever release more than one cut of a movie to the home market before.

Mathim

Is DC just going to do this for all their movies now? Or just the ones that get bad critical reception? "Look, we've made it suck a little bit less!" Maybe get the people working on the TV stuff to switch over to doing the movies. They can't possibly do worse than the ones already working on the movies.

SapphireStar

Apparently Jeph Leob teased at the latest Comicon that there might be a Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and The Defenders crossover. Yes Please!! When asked about it Loeb answered "It's a fair question and the fair answer is...stay tuned." Also stated that S.H.I.E.L.D. will notice what is going on in Hell's Kitchen.

With the extra minutes added, they're hoping it will remedy some of the choppy scenes, and some dissatisfied people upset about certain scenes cut. Though, the whole of the plot for the Suicide Squad movie was disconnected and all over the map. But, pretty much that will probably happen with each movie. Not all movies release and extended or Director's cut.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 09, 2016, 03:29:43 PM
Apparently Jeph Leob teased at the latest Comicon that there might be a Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and The Defenders crossover. Yes Please!! When asked about it Loeb answered "It's a fair question and the fair answer is...stay tuned." Also stated that S.H.I.E.L.D. will notice what is going on in Hell's Kitchen.

With the extra minutes added, they're hoping it will remedy some of the choppy scenes, and some dissatisfied people upset about certain scenes cut. Though, the whole of the plot for the Suicide Squad movie was disconnected and all over the map. But, pretty much that will probably happen with each movie. Not all movies release and extended or Director's cut.

What I've seen on youtube has made it seem like the Punisher is going to appear on Agents of SHIELD which would be unbelievably awesome.

There's more info on Iron Fist, and the trailer looks awesome, very reminiscent of Daredevil in some ways and a bit unlike any of the other Netflix shows so far as well. Got some glimpses of Colleen Wing kicking ass. I have to say, though, I just don't see this guy playing Danny hooking up realistically with Misty Knight after watching her on Luke Cage.

SapphireStar

It looks like perhaps they are rethinking that distancing from the "It's all connected" was not a good move so they are starting to rectify it.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 09, 2016, 10:34:07 PM
It looks like perhaps they are rethinking that distancing from the "It's all connected" was not a good move so they are starting to rectify it.

I get the rationale about the shows and movies, but not between the shows themselves.

SapphireStar

If the shows are connected to the movies, then the shows would be connected to each other? With the introduction of Ghost Rider, it seems like they are trying to expand the universe. Expand the stories they can/will tell.

Hayley Atwell has signed on to reprise her role of Agent Carter on one of the Marvel animated shows.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 09, 2016, 11:03:23 PM
If the shows are connected to the movies, then the shows would be connected to each other? With the introduction of Ghost Rider, it seems like they are trying to expand the universe. Expand the stories they can/will tell.

Hayley Atwell has signed on to reprise her role of Agent Carter on one of the Marvel animated shows.

I mean, I get why they don't reference events on the shows in the movies (because not everyone who pays to get into the theaters or for the DVDs has the time or inclination to watch the shows too) but for those that do enjoy the expanded MCU, there's no reason they can't have the shows cross over. It'll be a bonus for those fans that are truly into it, and for those that may only like some and not all of the shows, could give them reasons to pick up the other ones just to keep up with certain continuity storylines. I don't know, it just feels like they should have done this from the start once Daredevil first premiered.

And that's cool about Atwell, I know the actors who portray Fitz and Simmons are already on Ultimate Spider-Man (which had Coulson doing a voice role from the beginning) so I would bet if it's an animated show, that's the one she'll be doing. It's actually connected to Hulk and the Agents of SMASH and Guardians of the Galaxy animated series, so there's way more to it than just the Spider-verse (although they're doing very little with X-Men and mutants in general, or the Fantastic Four within the show...not hard to imagine why, frankly.)

mia h

Nice little screencap from Legends of Tomorrow trailer, the way the producers were talking about the Supergirl episode not really being part of the big crossover had me wondering if Kara would show up in Central or Star Cities. But there she is.

Mathim

I finished Flash season 2 already and I don't get how/when he crossed into her universe for that one episode of Supergirl, unless that's a plot element from season 3 that I haven't gotten to see yet. But I hope they integrate Supergirl more into the other shows, it's awesome having someone like Superman around even if it's not actually him. And Green Arrow's adequate enough for a replacement Batman. I'm kinda hesitating to start season 4 of Arrow now that it's on Netflix though. I mean, season 3 really bored me but I think season 4 is supposed to be more interesting. Let's hope so. Maybe I'll binge it this weekend.

SapphireStar

They still hinted that Supergirl technically isn't going to be "apart" of the Arrow/Flash/LoTverse. Flash was after something, think it was tachyon related. The other part of the Flash episode carried over into Supergirl season 1.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 11, 2016, 07:17:51 PM
They still hinted that Supergirl technically isn't going to be "apart" of the Arrow/Flash/LoTverse. Flash was after something, think it was tachyon related. The other part of the Flash episode carried over into Supergirl season 1.

I don't remember, I thought he only went back and forth between Earth 1 and Earth 2, not Supergirl's world. Guess it was something they glossed over to see if they could keep continuity separate. I don't see the benefit to it, crossovers are super sweet so making them all connected is a great idea.