Some random questions...

Started by Beorning, March 06, 2013, 05:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avis habilis

Quote from: Beorning on March 07, 2013, 05:18:37 AM
Okay, now I'll show my sheltered living: what's the difference between washing and dry-cleaning?

Dry-cleaning uses one or several chemical cleaning agents that don't damage certain fabrics (but are still poisonous as living hell, sicken people exposed to them occupationally & foul any water supply they get spilled into).

Oniya

*nods*  Fun fact:  Clothes that are 'dry cleaned' still get wet.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Gypsy

Not everyone has washing machines at home here in the US.  Some older houses do not even have the capacity for them, especially in terms with having a septic system set up to take the massive water intake.  For many years, my parents used a public laundry.  It certainly beat trying to wash clothes in a tub on a wash board, and they didn't have the wherewithal at the time to add the space for the machines, purchase them, and upgrade the electrical and septic, and didn't choose to go into debt to do so.

When I lived in an apartment in a rather large city here in the US, there was no washer/dryer, and the landlord didn't seem inclined to put in the hookups necessary.  Again, I took my clothes to the public laundry, as it was a lot easier than imposing on friends or relatives to use their washer/dryer when there was a perfectly good alternative available elsewhere.

Once I could choose to have a washer/dryer of my own, I stopped going to laundry-mats -- because, let's face it, it's a heck of a lot easier to wash my clothes at home.  The only time I might choose to do otherwise is when those appliances are broken down, or perhaps in a situation like returning from vacation or an entire house-cleaning where I have many loads that I'd like to do in a short time.

I suspect that mostly people go to public laundromats because it's what they have available to get the job done, not because they choose to do so over using their own machines.  I saw a lot more of them in the Southern US than I do where I currently live.
<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

Avis habilis

Quote from: Briar Rose on March 07, 2013, 09:48:28 AM
I suspect that mostly people go to public laundromats because it's what they have available to get the job done, not because they choose to do so over using their own machines.

Yep. Our machine isn't big enough for the couch slipcovers & some of our quilts, so those end up going into the "triple load" washers at the laundromat.

Lilias

Quote from: Oniya on March 07, 2013, 09:26:37 AM
*nods*  Fun fact:  Clothes that are 'dry cleaned' still get wet.

When I started shopping for clothes myself, I was told never to buy anything white that was dry-clean only; it would come back pale grey, because the cleaning fluid is not white.

Dry-cleaning is mostly about stain removal than general clothes maintenance. Or an excuse to have someone else do the ironing. ;D
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

BadForm

OK, new question to add to the mix: why is it that whenever you fully dismantle any sufficiently complex mechanical device, then put it back together again so that it actually works, you always seem to end up with a piece or two left over?
Absences thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=202963.msg9924174#msg9924174

-----

Think you know your movies? How about their dialogue? Try the following silly movie caption thread:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200349.0

Kythia

Because you put it together wrong  :P

Beorning

Alright, another question: Lucy Lawless. How do you end up with such a great name? I mean, it's a name straight out of a pulp novel. Lucy Lawless, the Pirate Queen of Skies!  ;D

Any other people out there with such great names?

Years ago, I watched a show on (Polish) TV about unusual and interesting names. One of the guests was a guy whose name was Waldemar Zmyślony. The surname translates literally as (I kid you not) "Imaginary". The poor guy said that one time he was calling some institution, he introduced himself - and the person on the other end of the line thought it was a crank call...

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Beorning on March 10, 2013, 02:29:22 PMAny other people out there with such great names?

Always thought Tessa Virtue (famous Canadian ice dancer) sounded like the name of a space opera heroine.

Destiny Hooker, on the other hand...
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Oniya

In Lucy's case, you go down to the public courthouse and file the right paperwork.  She was born Lucille Frances Ryan.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Moraline on March 06, 2013, 03:15:37 PM
This is a laundry service that has a multitude of places in your city:  http://drycleaning.5asec.com/pressing/poland/home.php  (They are just one of many. It took me about 2 seconds on google to find it.)

I think you have just led a sheltered life.

*edited out one but the first one posted still remains*

I think for the looks of it this is a dry cleaner, not a laundromat or launderette.

I knew nothing about laundromats until I hit my twenties since laundering facilities in home were always available to me.  It's not so much living a sheltered life but if you don't have the experience you don't know, huh? 

Beorning

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on March 10, 2013, 02:44:41 PM
Always thought Tessa Virtue (famous Canadian ice dancer) sounded like the name of a space opera heroine.

Yeah. Honor Harrington does sound a bit mundane when compared to it ;)

Quote from: Oniya on March 10, 2013, 02:47:45 PM
In Lucy's case, you go down to the public courthouse and file the right paperwork.  She was born Lucille Frances Ryan.

But she did marry a man named Lawless, so it is her real name, not a stage name, right?

Oniya

True, but there's still paperwork involved.  In this case, a marriage license.  ;D  She just sort of lucked out that her chosen spouse had a cool last name.

Gadifriald

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on March 10, 2013, 02:48:43 PM
I knew nothing about laundromats until I hit my twenties since laundering facilities in home were always available to me.  It's not so much living a sheltered life but if you don't have the experience you don't know, huh?
When I was about 3 or so I thought laundromats were mats you laid laundry on! ;D When I was five I got to know what laundromats really were 'cause my family was living in our cabin that had no laundry facilities so we did laundy after church every Sunday at the local laundromat. Other times when I was young and we were moving around I got even more familiar with laundromats to the point I have memories of my favorite laundromat! But not being familiar with laundromats is definitely a matter of experience rather than living a sheltered life that is for certain.
I am a mighty ravisher of captive damsels and princesses!

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Oniya on March 10, 2013, 02:55:45 PM
True, but there's still paperwork involved.  In this case, a marriage license.  ;D  She just sort of lucked out that her chosen spouse had a cool last name.

Most manly name ever, just generally: Garth Lawless.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Beorning on March 06, 2013, 02:37:07 PM
Okay, this is one thing I don't get at all. I don't think you have smaller apartments in the States than we have here - so, I can't imagine why they would too small for a washing machine? My sister lives in a very small apartment (30 square meters or so) and she still managed to put a washing machine in there...
Actually, it's more the plugs and connectors are not in the apartments.  You need specialized vents and water access for washers and dryers, and a lot of apartments do not have them individually.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Avis habilis

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on March 10, 2013, 03:37:15 PM
Most manly name ever, just generally: Garth Lawless.

I think Bill Coffin gives him a run for his money.

Beorning

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 11, 2013, 12:02:13 AM
Actually, it's more the plugs and connectors are not in the apartments.  You need specialized vents and water access for washers and dryers, and a lot of apartments do not have them individually.

Really? Back here, every apartment has water access in a bathroom... or so I believe?

Quote from: Avis habilis on March 11, 2013, 03:01:44 PM

.... now this is a pirate name if I ever saw one! :)

Avis habilis

Quote from: Beorning on March 11, 2013, 03:15:15 PM
Really? Back here, every apartment has water access in a bathroom... or so I believe?

You need specialized power outlets for the washer & dryer (220 volt instead of the regular 110 volt you plug your lamp into), plus a vent for the hot air from the dryer. Plenty of apartments don't have those.

Thorne

Quote from: Beorning on March 11, 2013, 03:15:15 PM

It's not just the water access - thanks, Avis. I forgot about the ventilation for the dryer. :/

I can understand a complex not wanting to go there.
Especially if you live someplace where you have to have a permit to upgrade the appliances (because they're part of the structure. No. I'm not kidding. I wish I was)....
*passes out some pain-killer for those who just finished head-desking*
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Caeli

And don't forget the cost.

A washer + dryer purchased new can go anywhere from the tune of several hundred dollars to over a thousand dollars. For people who are in the low-income bracket, not working full-time, attending a higher-education institution for a degree, this expense might not be as important as, say, car payments or tuition. While the long-run cost of having a washer+dryer make it a worthwhile investment for individuals who are looking to settle permanently in one location, it's not necessarily worth the up-front cost.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Avis habilis on March 11, 2013, 03:01:44 PM

They'd make a fine pair of action anti-heroes: Lawless & Coffin.

I feel an idea coming on...

Avis habilis

Together they fight crime do whatever the hell they want.

Oniya

Quote from: Avis habilis on March 11, 2013, 03:22:06 PM
You need specialized power outlets for the washer & dryer (220 volt instead of the regular 110 volt you plug your lamp into), plus a vent for the hot air from the dryer. Plenty of apartments don't have those.

And a sufficient water outlet to handle the volume used in a washing machine.  Even an HE machine.

Beorning

Hmmm. Wait, in America, you have 110 V in your typical power outlets?

Back here, 230 V is a standard...