Florida Pastor want to burn the Quran

Started by Serephino, September 08, 2010, 09:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

You're lauding the priest's actions as admirable, or at least you seem to be with your post. His actions are not laudable. Not only did he start the whole crappy thing, but he's apparently not above lying to try to get what he wants. That's not laudable. His actions are and have been despicable.

Will

Quote from: Trieste on September 09, 2010, 10:43:43 PM
So he's trying to blackmail the NYC imam, essentially...

If only I could give him that much credit! XD  He never even mentioned the NYC mosque before this.  I think it's just a way to pull his ass out of the fire while saving face.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Trieste

"We're going to discuss options" is pulling your ass out of the fire. "HEY YOU SAID YOU'D MOVE IT WHERES YOUR HONESTY?!?!?!?" is pretty much political blackmail and dirty pool.

And yes, I believe that this guy is lying. The NYC imam (cannot remember his name for the life of me) has been steadfast and firm in the face of a lot of hate. I find it impossible to believe he would budge now.

Wolfy

I'm telling you, guys..it's the Mustache...I mean, just look at that thing, and tell me he doesn't immediately strike you as one of those redneck, "the south will rise again" types.

o-o

On another subject, about said Community Center..I find it hilarious that Fox News is all against the Center, and calling the main funder of said Center "Evil" and other such words...yet they never say his full name, nor to they ever show his picture. Why? Because said Funder is also one of Fox news (Newscorp)'s Primary shareholders, I.E, one of their biggest sources of income.

...Hypocrisy? :D

Brandon

Incorrect Trieste, I only said it was interesting. I didn't say if it was right or not as I think what is morally right and ethically right vary from person to person. Ethically (as in lawfully) both are right. Morally is another question that will vary from person to person and no person is right or wrong to say the community center or Quran burning is good or evil

Wofly: Are we going to stereotype all southerners with Hulk hogan style facial hair? Similar to how anyone in Video games with a goatee is irrevocably evil?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Jaybee

I can't shake the feeling that this has all been orchestrated by a third party, that both the Pastor and Imam have both finished their roles in creating this controversy, whipped up on the orders of the same, unseen, unknown masters.

Hemingway

Quote from: Jaybee on September 10, 2010, 03:58:50 AM
I can't shake the feeling that this has all been orchestrated by a third party, that both the Pastor and Imam have both finished their roles in creating this controversy, whipped up on the orders of the same, unseen, unknown masters.

The CIA! The Illuminati! A faction within the Russian army with access to weapons of mass destruction and the intention of selling them on the international black market!

Or something less sinister, like the media.

Trieste

Quote from: Brandon on September 10, 2010, 12:16:04 AM
Incorrect Trieste, I only said it was interesting.

And I said it seemed like you were lauding him for his "move to end both controversies together". Teamwork to end nasty controversy would normally be a good thing, as would compromise.

So.

Quote from: Hemingway on September 10, 2010, 05:44:22 AM

The media can be more scary than all those others combined.

Scribbles

There's a man in South Africa now calling for the burning of the Bible, while going so far as to suggest that they even have a special day specifically for doing such.

In my opinion, all they're likely doing is burning what faith many have left in religion.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

sesshomaruartist

Is it just me or will everyone else be reading his autobiography about how he almost burnt the Qurans? Also I think he backed out in the end after media gave him all that screen time, another example of how the media have nothing to report about, no one dies = no news as sad as that sounds, I wonder if the media will be searching for Nazis next.

Vekseid

Quote from: Brandon on September 09, 2010, 10:49:33 PM
Its an interesting turn of events, the Imam causes major controversy and then the Priest does. In both cases the controversy is legal but insensitive. As controversy mounts on both subjects the Priest makes the move to end both controversies together.

There is nothing insensitive about what the imam is doing. The priest made a Fred Phelps style publicity stunt , with about as many people. He is now trying to use that to sabotage a community center funded by one of Fox News' key shareholders.

Jaybee

Quote from: Hemingway on September 10, 2010, 05:44:22 AM
The CIA! The Illuminati! A faction within the Russian army with access to weapons of mass destruction and the intention of selling them on the international black market!

Probably none of the above.

Will

Quote from: Kaizen on September 10, 2010, 01:03:02 PM
It has never mattered what I agree or disagree with, that, I can agree with.
I recognize the fact that it was personal property, but I think the moral implications are still there.  I wasn't arguing the legality.  That wasn't my point at all.

I understand your point.  The books are sacred, so the emotional weight is inherent.  I disagree, but I'm not going to argue that.

My point is this.  Knowing how ineffectual your outrage will be, why even give him the satisfaction of getting upset about it?  All it does is give the media a reason to publicize the story and fan the flames.

- Jack Kerouac

Will

This sort of outrage is exactly why this is in the news.  It's exactly why the guy threatened to do it.

- Jack Kerouac

Valerian

This just in:

http://www.godhatesfags.com/letters/20100909_Open-Letter-WBC-to-Burn-the-Koran-and-American-Flag.pdf

Quote from: WBC
September 9, 2010
The Westboro Baptist Church will burn the Koran and Doomed american flag on 9/11/2010.

False prophet Terry Jones caved—like all false prophets do, and like we told you he would.

The decree has gone forth from eternity past, from the LORD God Jehovah: this nation’s doom is imminent, and the faux “Christians” are through. Priests rape children already! It’s just a matter of the clean-up on this divine decree. This nation is done; false, phony “Christians” are done!

It’s time to talk to the false religious systems of the world, and we’ll start with the perverted Muslims and their pedophile prophet Muhammad. We will burn your Koran on 9/11/10 to tell the world that the Muslims are God’s servants to bring the final affliction to Israel and the Jews according to the promises of God.
There's more along those lines, but I feel unclean enough already.  :P

Jones is making noises about going ahead with his burning anyway, because the New York imam didn't keep a promise he never actually made; so now we might have two on the same day.

I also noticed that Jones' daughter told Reuters that she thought her father had gone mad, and needed help.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Trieste

Shocked. I'm shocked that the WBC is getting in on this.

:o <-- Shockedface.

Wolfy

Quote from: Brandon on September 10, 2010, 12:16:04 AM

Wofly: Are we going to stereotype all southerners with Hulk hogan style facial hair? Similar to how anyone in Video games with a goatee is irrevocably evil?

Oh come on...Everyone knows Mustaches like that are dead give-aways. Duh. o3o

Trieste

sesshomaruartist

Actually we all are being deceived this is a whole conspiracy theory did you know that fictional books have been burnt by a church before, heard of the Harry Potter books being burnt? Well, I managed to piece together what their true intentions were Harry Potter and the Koran two books both having stories, under different contexts one biblical while the other fictional. The true goal of these church's have been figured out, it will shock you, it was to burn Twilight books. All of the rest was just to keep our attention while they did it, I know I am in shock :O  :P

TheLegionary

Quote from: sesshomaruartist on September 10, 2010, 03:47:14 PM
Actually we all are being deceived this is a whole conspiracy theory did you know that fictional books have been burnt by a church before, heard of the Harry Potter books being burnt? Well, I managed to piece together what their true intentions were Harry Potter and the Koran two books both having stories, under different contexts one biblical while the other fictional. The true goal of these church's have been figured out, it will shock you, it was to burn Twilight books. All of the rest was just to keep our attention while they did it, I know I am in shock :O  :P

Great!!! Finally, the true!!!

sesshomaruartist

Amberghylles

Quote from: Wolfy on September 10, 2010, 01:43:59 PM
Oh come on...Everyone knows Mustaches like that are dead give-aways. Duh. o3o

I was born in Alabama.  I am male.  I have a mustache.  I have a great deal of pride and respect for my ancestors who fought and died for their land and their beliefs in the War of Northern Aggression.

I do not support, condone, or agree with hatred or stupidity.  I also do not appreciate that just because this man is hateful and stupid and in the South that he must automatically be:

Quote from: Wolfy on September 09, 2010, 11:29:39 PM
one of those redneck, "the south will rise again" types.

Serephino

What bothers me is I saw on the news this morning that there were riots over this in Afghanistan.  If the media hadn't felt the need to make a big deal about this, then no one would have ever known, and there wouldn't be a problem.

Why do I also get the feeling that there is a whole lot more to this?  This seems to be being done by 'pro-war' people.  If something bad does happen it will make people think that pulling out of Iraq was a really bad idea.  And I don't think the Westboro Church wants to see the war end, because then they can't go around crying that the war is God punishing us.  That's a very large part of their argument from what I've seen.

I don't know, it's just a thought...  Nothing else seems to add up.  If he were to go ahead and burn the books tomorrow, then it's over.  People may talk about it for a few more days, but will then move on to the next thing.  But now he can meet with this guy, get told no, make a huge fuss for a few more weeks....  Then of course the WBC can feed off this for a good two months.

I know freedom of speech is generally a good thing, but I'm starting to think that there should be laws against flaming like there are on forums; like you can't air it in the media if it's going to cause unwanted drama. 

Will

I seriously cannot understand how eager people are to give up their freedoms.

- Jack Kerouac

Serephino

What would I be giving up?  No more news casts or articles about the WBC.  No more news stories or articles about this Quran burning idiot.  No more political ads that are nothing but mud slinging.  No more extremist idiots of any kind seeking their fifteen minutes of fame.  Wow... what a sacrifice!

All I'm proposing is anti-inflammatory rules applied to the media such as are on this very forum.  On this forum I'm not allowed to say that all black people are retarded (not my opinion; only an example) despite having freedom of speech.  But the news is allowed to cover and sensationalize a fricken moron spouting off all kinds of crap about Muslims being evil, therefore causing all kinds of problems?