INTEREST CHECK: City of the Drow (reboot) 3.5 DnD [14/?? spots filled]

Started by Zaer Darkwail, September 29, 2011, 06:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chloe Milev

Yay, I always wanted a pet dragon to ride around!  Okay, fine, I'll pay you first.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Aybara

You'll have to wait for me to level up or find some way to shrink youself or make him larger (bearing in mind enlarge person will not work!) then he's the same size category as you and can't be used as a mount just yet... well not in a battlefield situation from what I understand. We could risk it but it seems very Drow like for someone to try and kill us while we are two hundred feet in the air and taking some kind of horrible penalties.

And dear god Chloe your characters charisma is through the roof! High Charisma does look to be common in the game though.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I advice not think too much aerial stragedies as in Underdark you cannot always fly and as deep dragon your flight will suck.

But I advice take Snatch as a feat soon you can (need be huge though). In serpent form you can snatch foes with bite and in snake form you could constrict them with nice damage.

Anyways my advices for 5 feats; Multi-attack (reduce penalties using claws and wings in full attack along with bite), Awaken Frightful Presence (when you later gain it your frightful presence expands bigger and save DC increases), Leadership, Clinging Breath (acidic slime which sticks on organic target) and Improved Iniative.

Just note you got Con 15 so cannot take recover breath weapon feat yet. Anyways even if your not juvenile nor young adult yet you can be quite sexual mature creature already mentally (but your not able to breed any dragon offspring until at young adult age). It's just that other dragons view you not even adult and grown yet (and so not threat territory wise).

But as note there is another deep dragon in near by from Erelhei-Cinlu (cannon lore wise) and it is young adult male and so may either view a young female deep dragon either potential rival or a mate. Of course your too young to be used as mate yet but once your young adult expect some draconic courtship start :P.

Aybara

I'm still not sure if I'll be going male or female. And my con is higher than fifteen! If you make a monster PC you have to work out there racial stats as it says in the book since that's a typical member of the race and PCs are more individual. The racial stats for a deep dragon are as I worked them out though double check this Str +4, Dex +0 Con +4 Int +6 Wis +4 Cha +4, the down side is that although the dragon HD levels are better than a lot of the other types of racial HD they don't give any spells or weapon/armour proficiencies (thus I'll be taking a monks belt incase I am stuck somewhere small so I can punch people). I'll have to pay another LA before I can continue getting more racial HD as another penalty which I am expecting to be atleast two additional with a chance of three... so depending on how the game advances I will be sitting there for some time before I get more levels... or I could take class levels and levels in a caster class would be... not that awesome sadly but RP wise being able to do cantrips would be fun. Levels in a more combat focused class could work like rogue or fighter giving much needed feats.

As they currently stand my stats are looking like Str 18 Dex 14 Con 21 Int 16 Wis 18 Cha 18 (note all three bonus stat points went into Con), this isn't final but it's what I am currently considering). I am looking towards gloves of Dex +6 and a monks belt to boost that ever low Dragon Touch AC... and I don't want to have to spend feats on becoming proficient in armour.

So if I go male dragon once I advance I'll be having an older dragon gunning for me. If I go female he might try and kill me or seduce me. Will he give me gold? I like gold.
It does give another good reason as to why I am allied with the party either way, slightly more important with male. I may have to convince them to help me take him out and steal his horde!

So I'm pretty certain I'll stick with progressing HD wise despite all the frustration that will be additional level adjustments. Some of the draconic prestige classes in Draconomicon do look fun like the Disciple of Ashardalon or Hidecarved Dragon but they're a long way off at the best of times. The Feats do look good and I had considered multi attack but I just have to wonder how useful this will be, I imagine the game would be very short lived if we just had all the houses and their vassals start brawling in the streets. I wonder how much combat we will actually have unless an invading force shows up- I of course expect assassination attempts!

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I recommend you check magic items for dragons in Draconomicon; one ring slot taking item gives your claws x4 critical multiplier and there is +30,000gp item which makes you 100% critical immune (as if having heavy fortification, helps well vs assassins who expect dragon be vulrenable to crits).

Also assassinations are most likely form of hostility between houses or unidentified mercenaries who had removed their house insignias for more direct brutal killing method. But considering whole city has over 300 years street warfare until Lolth herself came to put end of all direct hostilities. So the things go more cloak and dagger style in Erelhei-Cinlu for now.

Anyways yeah, you have likely catched scent of young adult male in area and know chaotic evil tendency and strong territorial attitude of the dragons will lead into conflict or submission and departure from area. With female dragon char you got option to seduce the young male adult dragon. Altough CE unions are short lasting ones (even among dragons) but there can be passion/love in such union. Also females are reckless with their egg deposits and have little to no compassion to foster them and they usually dumb the eggs to male's own lair to wonder about. If we follow standard courtship rules and hatcling raising of deep dragons that is but there can be expections; example female deep dragon who has interest in drow politics could send their offspring raised in drow houses as form of more longer lasting alliance.

Anyways I assumed the stats what you get as dragon are exactly copied but if rules say otherwise then....ok. You can have more unique stats and yes, you can have then breath recovery then. Anyways your LA is atm +2 (with young it should be +3 but I gave you free LA reduction to +2 so your 14th level as rest of players).

So you need XP for 15th level to advance with HD as norm and no need buy off LA, and if you want do it anyway then you can take it off when your about level 16 or 18 (if I remember LA buy off levels correctly). Overall you advance in levels as drow PC's do. But instead class levels you gain HD and you advance in age category when you reach indicated HD (your size increase happens under a day).

Karasu

Removed, due to vandalism.

Aybara

I'm just saying once I get to large size it looks like there's some clearance in the cavern above the city... fly by attack and snatch... I think I'll have to corner the market on rings of feather and make a killing *devilish grin*

Zaer Darkwail

Hey! Feather fall can be casted as immediate action by spellcaster! No doubt local wizard society hires you to do that and they make profit from saving people from the lethal falls by casting first level spell over and over again ;).

Aybara

I'll make a few gold a week and it's funny... we'll start a propaganda campaign against that other dragon! He's very bold always tormenting my poor drow friends, we should do something about him. If I snatch a Koa Toa or whatever they are called it's going in my belly, apparently Deep Dragons like to eat them!
Still I have to read through a few books I'm not hugely familiar with for fun feats and treats. Hopefully that Kobold Cleric of Tiamat and his friends don't get the chop from my feat list. Dragons are bloody complicated but this is going to be fun.

Chloe Milev

In the Dragons of Eberron book, they have some alternate form feats:

Half-dragon form
True dragon, humanoid form, sorcerer level 5
Alternate form can be medium or smaller humanoid with half-dragon template.  +4 natural armor, 2 claws (1d4 medium, 1d3 small) and bite (1d6 medium, 1d4 small), breath weapon (as a dragon of your current size, max 12 dice), physical abilities set to Str 18, Dex 10, Con 12 (modified by apparent race)

Hidden strength
True dragon, humanoid form, sorcerer level 5
+8 Str and +4 Con in alternate form (up to normal dragon Str and Con)

and spell:

Strength of the True Form
Transmutation, Sorcerer 1, Verbal, 1 immediate action, Personal, 1 round
Cast in alternate form, compare natural armor, DR and physical ability scores of current and original form and use the higher in each category.  If you have Silent Spell, you can apply it with no increase in casting time.

It even gives examples of urban lairs:

An abandoned, disused cistern
A famous monument's interior, secretly hollowed out and modified
A hidden chamber vault built against a vault in the city's treasury
The bottom of an artificial, ornamental lake
Within a buried siege engine, sunk by a transmute rock to mud spell
An extradimensional space in a private storage locker of a bank
Inside the "Hall of Monsters" wing of a museum
The heart of a forge
The city dump
The interior of a rusting, fallen golem
Beneath the stage in a dance hall
The hold of a ship, permanently moored at the city dock
A large cell in an abandoned prison
A clearing in the heart of a seemingly impenetrable thicket in a city park
A senile noble's house; relatives dismiss the old man's rantings of a monster in the attic
Within an abattoir ("The guests are carried down conveyor belts in extreme comfort, past paintings depicting Mediterranean scenes, towards the rotating knives.  The blood slurps down these chutes--"  "Excuse me, did you say knives?"  "--Rotating knives, yes?")
The topmost level of a disused observatory
The underground hotsprings that feeds into a bathhouse
The unused prop room of a theater
Rooms beneath an insane asylum, where the dragon poses as  the warden
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Snake

Question when is this going ot start up?

I wanted to ask you Zaer. When it does, may I lead off with the extra-dimiensional slave auction? :3  As a way to introduce the chars IC?

Karasu

Removed, due to vandalism.

Snake

*flails* ffffffffffffffffffffffff and where is this lovely thread at? I have been off since yesterday so I don't know. >.<

Aybara

It has??? Where? Dag nam it... scrambles to finish character.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Snake on October 08, 2011, 10:56:50 AM
Question when is this going ot start up?

I think I send you PM about it....with big capital letters which told the game has started up since thursday :P.

Anyways you play with your feral half-drow as main but you can for now NPC the char which you send via PM to me but he is not meant to be your main char. So post with both chars.

PaleEnchantress

Id so enjoy lashing at an angered feral beast of a drow with my matrons whip...
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Snake

You'd more likely just anger the beast enough to rip it out of your hands and beat you right back with it...

PaleEnchantress

Snake

Did you see his sheet? XD whip marks don't both him, he'll just immediately heal it...

btw can I use a lair ward for his private lair (found in draconomican) and anything I need to know about i? *as in do I need the stronghold builder's guide or can it just as simple as commandeering an abandoned house in one of teh ghettoes (after killing the prvious owner. haha)

PaleEnchantress

Yes I did see your sheet, if you saw mine you'll notice whipping isn't my forte. (My weapon master on the other hand...)  Though with spell absorption you have a decent defense against me anyway. i could have my minions beat you down but that just isn't worth the trouble.

You sure you wont submit willingly? I have all the parts a boy could want. *cackles with insane glee*

Snake

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Snake on October 08, 2011, 11:42:14 AM
Did you see his sheet? XD whip marks don't both him, he'll just immediately heal it...

btw can I use a lair ward for his private lair (found in draconomican) and anything I need to know about i? *as in do I need the stronghold builder's guide or can it just as simple as commandeering an abandoned house in one of teh ghettoes (after killing the prvious owner. haha)

Well, you could have taken over a house but only place where it could work is in ghetto of outcastes (the forceful take over method that is) and you can spend gold for some wards in your 'lair' but it's likely lair had them already when you took over them.

Snake

Like standard stuff like violet fungi + shriekers and a few kind of base traps? Maybe a gargoyle.  I'll wait to put the wards in I dont' recall how much I actually have left and I don't have teh SHBG