Dresden Files [An Interest Check]

Started by hall, April 11, 2014, 06:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hall

So basically I've been re-reading the books in anticipation of Skin Game and it's sparked my interest to start up a Dresden Files RPG. I've got some idea about what I'd like to go for creating, in terms of theme and scale, but generally speaking I'd be open to suggestions and ideas. Personally I find it rather irritating when people state very fixed terms for an RP in the interest thread without any flexibility. If there was significant interest (a core of four to five players) then I like to think that we could work together in creating a decent RP scenario. So, any interest?
I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but it's always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

Requests Thread - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=144465.msg6507599#msg6507599

ElvenKitten

I am so very very in! I'm a bit of a Dresden Files fangirl though it's unlikely I'd play a wizard  :D

Savant of the Wastes

Oh my. Yes. Very much so. I'm a big fan of the books, and the RPG is really well put together. I'd play in a heartbeat.

Roxy Rocket

Yes.

And after Mario Kart dies in my hands, I'll speak sensibly.

hall

Awesome. So what would people prefer, using the FATE RPG or playing it freeform? And what kind of level would you want to play it at? Like, would the characters be Wardens or Paranetters?
I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but it's always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

Requests Thread - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=144465.msg6507599#msg6507599

ElvenKitten

I'd prefer freeform myself, maybe at the junior Warden end of the scale, and being pretty outmatched to give it a Dresden files vibe.

Kadigan

I would enjoy it very much. Where in the series would it be taking place, and is it more originals inside the universe or taking a point and running with new stories from the canons?

Izaya Orihara

Well, if I had to give a reason for my actions, I guess it's because I love people. I guess I wanted to see the faces that mankind has to offer.

Roxy Rocket

scrapped

hall

Okay, so a freeform RP with original characters and settings, but the general feel of the books? I think that it would work best in a real city that's easily google-able, like Las Vegas or New York. I once saw an interesting scenario for a game set in Constantinople. I don't see why there should be any restrictions on what type of character people wanted to play, as long as they kept them within an acceptable power level - middling to low enough to face some serious challenges. Is that kind of what people would be looking for?

hall

I'd agree that those cities are over-exposed, but it's a little easier to pick out things like landmarks and historical events when thinking over plot ideas. That said, with a little thought I'm sure we could work something out. One of the things I'd like to pick up from the FATE rpg is fully fleshing out the character of the city. I quite like the idea of a southern city, or maybe even somewhere in Europe.

Izaya Orihara

A place in Europe might be interesting. Probably easier for me, too, since I haven't actually been to America.
We could go for somewhere in Italy, for instance, like Rome, since I was there last week.
Might have to watch out for the traffic, or pickpockets, though, among other things. :D
I think that the White Court Vampires originate from Italy, too, since they have been known to speak Etruscan.

Or alternatively somewhere in Britain, since that's not too difficult for me to deal with. Might have some plot relevance, too, with the headquarters of the White Council being in Edinburgh.
Well, if I had to give a reason for my actions, I guess it's because I love people. I guess I wanted to see the faces that mankind has to offer.

Izaya Orihara

Naturally, though I was thinking merely of a place that everyone at least knows a little about, or if not, then can easily be researched via google.
I don't think it matters too much, though.

Roxy Rocket

If it's really that bad, just go with a fictional city.

Dresden Chicago wasn't built on detailed examination of Chicago. Typically, the city generation is expected to be supported ligtly by reality, a little more by the impression good fiction gives you of a place and mostly by what serves the story.

The question is what sort of story and setting you're actually aiming for.

hall

Fair point. Would we want a GM running an overall story? Or have the plot run by the players?

Rajah

Definitely a GM. You always need a GM, because sooner or later, Billy pushes Bobby in front of Susan and Bobby says "I'm too strong to be pushed by a not-as-strong guy like Billy" and someone's gotta make the call on which one of them ends up decapitated in the ensuing midday Main Street battleaxe duel and it probably shouldn't be Billy, Bobby, or Susan.

The Dresden Files RPG is really very fun, even if in practice it's an extended "how can I describe using [element I have the most bonuses sunk into] to solve [literally whatever is going on right now]" competition between wizards with ninjas and mind-eaters frolicking about on the sidelines. I like my games a little darker (not a lot, just a little) with maybe less of a fey/vampire tinge and more of a Lovecraftian one, but I think the creative spellcasting/problem-solving approaches the game encourages are fantastic, so my preference/request would be to see that continued to some degree.
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Savant of the Wastes

I agree that I would like to use the system, but freeform is fine by me as well. I'd also prefer to have a GM running things. A firm hand on the tiller means that everything is more organized, and we can get a proper mystery plot going. If everyone is crafting the story then it's not much of a mystery, is it? Getting to the heart of a tangled web of intrigue is half the fun of the books.

hall

Okay so I think the general consensus is that freeform is the path of least resistance. In that case I can GM (unless anyone has any objections or would prefer to run it themselves), and since I've got a copy of the RPG I can kind of base it off that. So the character creation would need you to include character traits of the "Everything Was On Fire And It Wasn't My Fault" kind of thing. I can sketch out a couple of city designs and you guys could choose the one that you prefer? Would people be interested in playing a game like this?

Rajah

Quote from: Blinkin on April 13, 2014, 08:58:32 AM
Well, I don't have a problem with system games, but in this case, I don't have the players guide, and I'm not likely to get it as I'm just a poor, very poor, extremely poor... ok, I can't afford dirt poor blind boy.

The last RPG book that I looked at with real interest was the Stargate RPG, and that book was priced at $100... I hate to think what RPG's cost these days.

$25 for the PDF, $50 for the PDF + a physical book. $13 if you hate art and just want the stripped-down .epub/.mobi (for Kindle or Nook, but PCs can read either with a plethora of free programs) version. If you're interested in the future, I'd recommend it. FATE can sometimes a feel same-y (Everything Is An Aspect has a lot to do with that) but DFRPG injects quite a bit of its own crunch; it's still lighter than, say, World of Darkness or D&D, but it's got enough going on to satisfy the design junkies (me) and still be narrativist enough that almost any story you want to tell will be well-represented and effective. It is not my favorite game, but it's up there, and it's hard to have a BAD time with it.

In general, the .PDF/POD revolution means RPGs are going to be cheaper and cheaper, especially from indie developers. You can pick up whole bundles of indie RPGs for like $5 now, or kickstart a major production for under $30 and get a .pdf when it's done.

hall: Super interested.

So (quick mock-up, not an actual character) something like this?

Eric Tryggvasn
Concept: Trollbred salesman
Core Ideas: Indomitable As Winter, Artist in Knives and Bones, Red-Headed Stepchild, Autumn's Knight, Sad All The Time
Background: Eric was raised in a group family with three mothers and two fathers, all of whom were survivors of the dungeons of [local steel mill owner and Troll Sidhe] and banded together for emotional support, all of whom are missing pieces - physical and metaphysical both. Something something Last War of Autumn something something troll comes recruiting something something coming to terms something something White Council something something other players.
Physical Description: Big guy, dyed-black hair, lots of weird tattoos, always carrying a suitcase full of elegant ivory knives. At least, they look like ivory.
Personality: A diehard nihilist with zero fucks to give, seemingly immune to fear and humor in equal measure. Tries to sell you knives sometimes. Talks wistfully about a childhood that wasn't even vaguely how he remembers it. Not exactly good company and honestly when he gets going about the past you're not unlikely to note in a quiet little corner of your mind that if someone ever needs to die in a dramatic cinematic firefight of some kind, it should probably be this guy.
Et Cetera: Et Cetera.
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

hall

Looks about right to me. That's one hard yes, three or four more and I'll start sorting applications out. I was thinking it might be best to get you guys to PM them to me and then I'll put them out with any private or hidden character information (such as the Core Ideas) removed. It might make for some more interesting roleplaying scenarios.

Roxy Rocket

scrapped

hall

The whole guest star thing could work, if people were up for it. It would certainly be an interesting way for the characters to be introduced. The only problem is that we wouldn't want to make creating a character so complex that the game never gets off the ground.

Roxy Rocket

True dat. I was just looking over my character / inside flap summary / sample chapter and going "this is probably too heavy for most / all involved."

Besides starting with context / city discussion, it's probably going to have to wait until you've decided you've got your four to five victims who are all leaning the same direction.

TheGlyphstone

Ooh, count me in. I wouldn't mind systemic, but Freeform is also acceptable (since the Dresden RPG is Fate-based, it's halfway to freeform to start with).

I'll put together some sort of scion - either a half-Rakshasa or a half-Oni are my initial ideas.

hall

Okay, I'd make that three yes's. One or two more and we can get started.