WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Matt Ward had a serious hard on for the smurfs, and when he butchered the Marine codex, suddenly ever Marine who wasn't a smurf wanted to be one, except a few unimportant, insignificant chapters.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Oniya

Some are more equal than others.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

CountessJess

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 29, 2015, 05:28:57 PM
Matt Ward had a serious hard on for the smurfs, and when he butchered the Marine codex, suddenly ever Marine who wasn't a smurf wanted to be one, except a few unimportant, insignificant chapters.

You're just jealous that the Ultramarines finally got the recognition they deserved.

HairyHeretic

Given I play 4 different Chaos forces, not so much :P

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Matt Ward was, sadly, the writer of the Newcron codex. Were it not for that, I would be able to say that everything he has ever created, such as the newest iteration of the Ultrasues, is terrible.

Inkidu

Didn't Ward get let go?

Not that it'll stop people from blaming him for any new mistakes.

Nor would it stop them from hating the brand new poor schmuck. :P
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheGlyphstone

Yup, he left/quit/was fired/whatever. Point is that he doesn't write stuff anymore, and it'll take a few years for a new codex to be released and overwrite him.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 29, 2015, 08:39:51 PM
Yup, he left/quit/was fired/whatever. Point is that he doesn't write stuff anymore, and it'll take a few years for a new codex to be released and overwrite him.
If they bother trying. With something as old as 40K (much like Magic: The Gathering) things have been irrevocably ruined since the second edition.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

HairyHeretic

As someone who has actually has a bit of knowledge around this, keep in mind that there is a lead time for stuff being written, and a codex will typically be finished some months before it is released. Anything he has had a direct hand in, that influence should be gone within, say, a year after he has left. After that, anything should be brand new.

Until recently the turnaround on a codexes has been about once per edition (less for some, true), which has meant a codex lasting about 5 years. The transition from 6th to 7th, and the rise of the digital supplements is changing that, so we could in theory see a brand new codex quicker than that now.

What way a given codex is going to go depends on the design philosophy of the studio, and probably what the suits think will sell, at the time. Sometimes this works, sometimes it goes horribly, horribly wrong, and you're stuck with a pathetic excuse for a codex for years.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

CountessJess

Beorning

Nooooo! I only begun painting my penitent engine...

Overall, I admit I'm having a bit of... crisis right now when it comes to WH40K. I'm starting to realize that I just don't have the time to commit to it - with my painting speed, getting even a one, small army ready might take the whole year. Also, I might not have the money for it, either - spending $1000 on minis sounds kind of crazy, when I think about it...

I don't know. I used to think that my RPG hobby is expensive, but now it seems pretty reasonable...

TheGlyphstone

What does it look like if you only buy new stuff at the rate you can paint it?

HairyHeretic

It's not a race :)

I've been in this hobby about 30 years now. I have models older than some people I've played against :P

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Well, if I bought stuff at the rate I was painting, without trying to have the whole army collected ASAP, then I'd be spending $30 a month or so...

CountessJess

That sounds like a pretty cheap hobby to me!

Beorning

Not when you're earning $500 a month tops...

I must say that I received a bit of gut punch last week when it comes to these matters, as I broke my tooth. I went to a dentist and he informed me that repairing this tooth may cost at least $400. I... have no idea where to get this money from. And with that kind of expense looming over me, I don't dare to think about buying new minis... or paints... or codexes...

consortium11

Don't say we didn't warn you on the cost...

Quote from: consortium11 on August 10, 2014, 07:50:47 PM
On the wider topic, 40K (or Fantasy Battle) can be a ruinously expensive hobby (and Games Workshop are more than happy to fleece you for every penny they can)

40K is expensive, there's no too ways around it. That said, the cost does go down with time. When you're starting off and putting an army together it's going to cost a lot. But once you have that core army the expenses drop down to a far more manageable level; a few new units here and there to give you more options, a new codex every couple of years and maybe some new figures if they're released.

Beorning

Quote from: consortium11 on February 01, 2015, 05:00:02 PM
Don't say we didn't warn you on the cost...

I know, I know...

What complicates matters for me even further is the fact that I'm starting to get bored with painting Sisters. I want to try something else... But if I start collecting a second army right now, then it'll take even longer for me to have anything playable...

Drat. I need a better job, it seems. And I need way more free time. I still haven't read the Dark Heresy rulebook I bought a month ago...

Hemingway

If, like me, you paint partly just because you enjoy painting, there's nothing wrong with picking up a model just for painting. I've been collecting for over 10 years, but I can count the games I've played on ... let's say two hands.

I'm hoping to change that with Warmachine, but I only bought Warmachine minis because I wanted to paint something different in the first place.

EDIT: New models arrived today. Tomorrow is going to be fun.

EDIT 2: My camera isn't all that good ( makes the image look a bit muddier than the actual paint is ), but here's a picture of my freshly painted Warmachine mini:

Journeyman Warcaster ( Variant )

... and I just spotted an area that needs a bit of touch-up. Damn.

Beorning

So... how's everyone doing?

I managed to do some WH40K-related stuff during the weekend... meaning, I continued painting the penitent engine. This thing has so many parts with so many details..! I really might end up painting it for the whole month...

HairyHeretic

Still slowly assembling my Night Lords. My medicae unfortunately suffered an accident, fell from where he was and broke the wings off his helmet. Because they're such small pieces, I have no clued where they bounced off to. I'm debating whether or not I should try to green stuff replacements or just rip his head off and replace it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Wajin

My Hubby and I finally got a small game of HH Salamanders vs Night Lords done, hubby is now very, very tired of flamers and meltas :P
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on February 08, 2015, 04:55:07 PM
Rip his head off?!? That's just cruel!  ;)

What part of 'Night Lords' was unclear? ;)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

I think one my issues with adopting this game (besides the cost and I haven't painted models since I was thirteen) is that there is such a discrepancy in the books. Armies are quite significantly hamstrung by the fact that they actually haven't been updated to take advantage of some new rule while other codecies have been, and Games Workshop doesn't seem to be chomping at the bit to actually bring the factions up to an even keel. :P

Thankfully the video games aren't bad. XD