Dark Souls II - share your experiences, stories and builds!

Started by Hemingway, March 26, 2014, 12:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on April 17, 2014, 02:00:44 AM
No. Power stance just requires you to have 150% of the required stats for wielding whichever weapon requires the higher stats (so if you wanted to power stance, say, a bastard sword (20 str/11 dex) and a longsword (10 str/9 dex), you'd need 30 strength and 17 dexterity. If you wanted to PS a falchion (9/13) and a scimitar (7/16), you'd need 14 strength and 24 dex. Int/faith requirements are irrelevant for powerstance, only str/dex requirements matter.

All the Covenant of Champions does is null co-op and inflate NPC stats. The max rank reward is a ring that makes your bare hands hit harder. It doesn't do anything else special.
Ah, well I only hope I'm doing my character right. I'm ignoring intellect and faith and some other magicy ones for adaptability, strength, and vitality with some vigor and dex thrown in every other time to make sure I can use a wide range of weapons. Poise too. It seems to be getting me from point A to B without too much dying so I call that "Working". 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

The sword you're talking about is Blue Flame, Drake, and, well, aside from being able to cast spells, it's kind of a crappy sword. Pretty much the only benefit of dual wielding them would be the ability to buff both swords with CMW or Dark Weapon, but that's a marginal benefit at best compared to using a weapon that isn't crap to start with. >.>
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

Honestly I was expecting a little more from the Forest of Shade or whatever it's called. I did only get to the first bonfire though so I better not tempt the gods.

I mean, I kind of ran out of room, it seemed like the logical place to take the branch, but honestly given this game I'd half expect that if you use it on the pigs in the hubtown it wins you the game or something, and I just wasted it on the obvious path.

I know I don't know any of the actual names for the enemies but despite their ability to poison (my adaptability is rather high for being level seventy-five or so) the bastion knight hollows were more deadly than the bark hollows. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

Royal swordsmen hit harder, but the poison guys tend to gang up on you more. Also, poison. Anyway, the Shaded Ruins are just the start of their branch. They're comparable to the Forest of Fallen Giants more than the Bastille.
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on April 17, 2014, 11:38:28 PM
Royal swordsmen hit harder, but the poison guys tend to gang up on you more. Also, poison. Anyway, the Shaded Ruins are just the start of their branch. They're comparable to the Forest of Fallen Giants more than the Bastille.
I guess I didn't expect it to do a soft reset so to speak on the difficulty. :\

Though it did hit you with a basalisk before you evenn got into the ruins.

Shjade

Welp. I now have both the no-bonfires-run ring and the no-deaths ring. Considering I'm not an avid pvp-er, that's pretty much the entirety of my goals to accomplish in this game. Victoly~
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on April 19, 2014, 10:39:22 PM
Welp. I now have both the no-bonfires-run ring and the no-deaths ring. Considering I'm not an avid pvp-er, that's pretty much the entirety of my goals to accomplish in this game. Victoly~
How did you not kill any living creature within your immediate reach? When I play, and I'm just looking to get through it, it's more than likely to happen?

Don't the rings just make your arms invisible?

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on April 19, 2014, 10:43:39 PM
How did you not kill any living creature within your immediate reach? When I play, and I'm just looking to get through it, it's more than likely to happen?
I killed plenty of things. I didn't die. No deaths.

And yes, those rings just make the weapons in your left and right hands invisible. Mostly useless except for baiting people in PvP, but style points.
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on April 19, 2014, 11:07:50 PM
I killed plenty of things. I didn't die. No deaths.

And yes, those rings just make the weapons in your left and right hands invisible. Mostly useless except for baiting people in PvP, but style points.
No, I meant in real life. :P

Chris Brady

Personally, I live alone, and there's a wall and door between me.  So everyone gets to live.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

Oh. Why would I be killing things in the real world? There's no frustration in a no deaths run: you're either successful or you die once and it's a failure.
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on April 20, 2014, 05:47:12 PM
Oh. Why would I be killing things in the real world? There's no frustration in a no deaths run: you're either successful or you die once and it's a failure.
Your Zen-ness is admirable. I could just see myself getting all the way to the end and dying at the door to final boss or something.

Shjade

I only made three previous attempts at no death runs.

1st attempt: died to the two manikins that drop down the ladder to ambush you in Earthen Keep. I'm still not sure why I died to them, aside from being a baddie, obviously.

2nd attempt: died to Mytha. Earthen Keep becomes my nemesis for these runs.

3rd attempt: approach Earthen Keep much more carefully and succeed. Get all the way to the Looking Glass Knight, then die horrible death.

4th attempt: success.

Also worth noting the three previous attempts were all New Game runs, where the 4th attempt was on NG+4 (meaning enemies had boosted stats, red phantoms and some bosses had helpers, but I also had levels and gear).
◕/◕'s

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Shjade on April 20, 2014, 07:31:52 PM
Also worth noting the three previous attempts were all New Game runs, where the 4th attempt was on NG+4 (meaning enemies had boosted stats, red phantoms and some bosses had helpers, but I also had levels and gear).

This is why I wanted to do them both on the first NG+ run. Not sure what the hell I was thinking on attempting no bonfire/no death run. >.<

I died by Neburaska or whatever its name is.. The reaper dude? ;\ And around that time I was also F*****************************K!!!!!

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Shjade

◕/◕'s

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Shjade on April 20, 2014, 11:46:40 PM
...Nashandra?

I think.. The reaper dude? xD I remember first time I went against him I was unsure of him in regular game and he killed me cause I noob rushed his drain health sphere thing.

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Shjade

I'm unsure if you mean Nashandra or not since she's female. >.>
◕/◕'s

Drake Valentine

Oh no. >_< The reaper thing.... The one you fight after those two bosses... In the.. Ummm... Was it the Castle? It is the door you show the key and run down that long ass cliff like road where if you fall off you die.

Mistook its name likely, I haven't played the game any after NG+1.

Shjade

Yeah, that's Nashandra. And she's female. Which is why she talks to you with a woman's voice and wears a dress of corpses. You met her earlier in the castle, remember? The queen on the throne?

... You didn't read any lore on your way through the game did you. >.>;
◕/◕'s

Drake Valentine

Lore? What is this lore you speak of? I didn't read anything on both my playthroughs. xD And the only bosses I recall are ones that killed me plenty of times or that I had no trouble with.

I just geared up and went around rockin enemies and getting rocked. The tutorial was the only lore I read. ^_^

Inkidu

I'm at a bit of an impasse. I'm in the same area I said last time. The woods past the petrified woman.

Well... I get to a little tower with a bonfire in it and I've been down all the divergent paths and have no where to go.

One path leads to a King sealed door. The other is a dead end with the ghost ship boss fighter cum mook at the end, and the third is death fog.

I've got nowhere else to go.

Shjade

You have to go through the death fog.

If you follow the left-hand wall and are quick about it, you can get through without needing to fight any of the fog knights. You'll come to a ramp pretty quickly that you can run up and into a little ruin area where the fog knights shouldn't chase you if you managed to attract any (there's an NPC there to talk to, a head lying on some rocks), then run back down and keep going with the wall on your left until you come to another ramp up to some stairs.
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on April 24, 2014, 10:57:30 AM
You have to go through the death fog.

If you follow the left-hand wall and are quick about it, you can get through without needing to fight any of the fog knights. You'll come to a ramp pretty quickly that you can run up and into a little ruin area where the fog knights shouldn't chase you if you managed to attract any (there's an NPC there to talk to, a head lying on some rocks), then run back down and keep going with the wall on your left until you come to another ramp up to some stairs.
That's pretty unfair, seeing as I can't see any of them and they can kill me in one hit. I figured it was just instant death fog.

Shjade

Nope. You can fight them just fine really, once you get the hang of it, and learn how to fight without locking on. They're hard to see, but they're not invincible or anything.

The enemies themselves are basically NPC player phantoms which, as far as I can tell, are basically wearing knight/elite knight armor and equipped with a longsword and a dagger, though they can swap out the offhand dagger for a crossbow to plink at you. They can also guard break and are very happy to do so, so don't turtle up at them or they'll crush your shield and crit your face. Best strat as far as I can tell is to swing at them as they're coming in, or to backstep out of the way of their first attack and punish afterward.

Or, as I mentioned, you can follow the left wall and avoid them altogether. There are a few nice items to be found on the right side, but nothing you can't live without. (The Old Sun Ring is probably the best thing in the fog woods - it's a ring that occasionally causes a fiery explosion around you when you get hit, preventing lockdown by enemies and doing some free fire damage to anyone that sticks around after hitting you, but it's more useful for pvp than pve.)
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.