News:

Main Menu

Good TV Series?

Started by Drake Valentine, April 05, 2016, 01:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Valentine

Any some seen or recommend? I like to broaden my television series category.

So far by category of how I view them as in material.

Action/Adventure:
Black Sails (<3)
The Musketeers (It is okay)
(The?) Vikings (Haven't watched in awhile)

Sci-Fi
The 100 (<3)
Continuum (Just started, interesting so far)

Super Hero:
Arrow
The Cape
DC Legends of Tomorrow
The Flash

Drama:
The Bastard's Executioner
Dexter
Gotham (<3)
Hannibal
The Walking Dead

Horror:
The Strain (<3)

Comedy:
Z Nation (If you can stomach it)

Have Yet to Watch, but Own:
Elementary
Grimm
Hero's Reborn
The Last Kingdom

Oldies But Goodies(Don't own, but seen):
Dinosaurs (<3)
Hercules (Can't remember full title, but remember it when younger)
Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman
Xena: Warrior Princess

Disliked:
Powers (It just isn't that good, even as a free PS original)
Smallville (Sorry, but the whole Scooby Doo act of chasing villains gets old, plus everyone seems to forget what happened prior and go about their lives normally so everything seems just random in introducing baddies, building power, and no real character development whatsoever.)

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Stella

Vikings is back on - I was a bit meh about the first season or two, but I'm really into it again now. So imo, it got better!

I also always recommend Six Feet Under to everyone. It's been finished a  long time now, but it remains one of my all-time favourites. It is the only show I've ever watched where I cared so much about all the characters that, during the finale, I cried so hard I had to stop and try again the next day. Yep.

Sherlock is tremendously good. At 90 minutes an episode, you're getting a film!

I adore Black Books and Spaced - both finished now too, but at three and two solid seasons apiece, they're classics.

And Doctor Who. Always the Doctor Who.

Inkidu

Look in to Person of Interest.

Also if you want something that's not typically seen on Western TV watch Into the Badlands. It's post-apocalyptic but based loosely on Journey to the West.

EDIT: Also you're thinking of Hercules: The Legendary Journey. So hammy, but fun.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Beorning

Penny Dreadful. The best horror series these days, IMHO.

I've also heard good things about Netflix's Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

SapphireStar

Warehouse 13: Centers around several agents going out to find artifacts and neutralize them. Kinda Indiana Jones-ish. Action. Humor. Scifi/fantasy.

Eureka: I haven't had a chance to watch this one yet, but it looks good. Another tv show from the Syfy channel.

Grimm: Is pretty good. Created by the team who were involved in both Buffy and Angel tv series. David Greenwalt was pretty heavily involved with Angel. Grimm has some of the same tones as Angel. Scary monsters. HUmor is dry, sarcastic. Action. Mystery. Horror. Great cast. The interaction between them is fantastic. Monroe is awesome. Alexis Denisof guest starred as one of the antagonists. Highly recommend.

Leverage: Awesome cast. Action. Humor. The team helps those who have no where else to go.

Haven: Another show I haven't had a chance to watch, but looks interesting.

Teen Wolf: Very dark, supernatural story.

Burn Notice: Excellent show. Great cast. Main character helps those in trouble. And, it has Bruce Campbell  ;D

Adventures of Brisco County Jr: Another Bruce Campbell show. Around the same time as when Hercules: The Legendary Journey and Xena were on. There was another Bruce Campbell show, Jack of all Trades, too.

Star Trek: Next Generation: My favorite of all the Star Trek series. Phenomanal cast and guest stars.

Chuck: Awesome cast. Lots of great guest stars from Linda Hamiliton, Dolph Lundgren, Brandon Routh, Chevy Chase, Scott Bakula and more. HUmor, action, romance.

Elandra

Fear the Walking Dead: I know some people don't like it because it is too slow, but that is the point of the story. It is about to start up this Sunday.

iZombie: A much better zombie comedy than Z Nation

Sci-Fi

Dark Matters: Seven (maybe eight) people wake up on a ship and don't know who they are, travel with them as they discover who they are

The Expanse: Politics between Mars, Earth and Belters are rolled up in a murder mystery

Colony: The denizens of Los Angelos are captured

The Killjoys: Bounty Hunters in Space

~~~ ONs & OFFs ~~~ Requests ~~~

drummer2006jk

Fear the Walking Dead: I can accept that people don't like it because of the pacing and how it's not like the Walking Dead, but I'm enjoying the show even up the second episode of season two.

The Walking Dead: Haven't watched season six yet so I'm waiting off on that to watch it. Still say the first season episode TS-19 is one my absolute favorite.

The 100: Friends got me into this show. Up and in watching the third season.

Fringe: Loved this show. Started off as something like the X-Files but then really went into the mythology and introduced some fantastic plots throughout the series. Thankfully it wasn't as hard to keep up with as JJ's other show Lost.

Mathim

I enjoyed Brickleberry, which is like if Comedy Central did Family Guy instead...and it was a bunch of park rangers instead of a family.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Kakihara

Just discovered Expedition Unknown on Netflix.  I liked Josh Gates in Destination Truth and this has a more archeology tilt.  He's amusing.

Sabby

I would have recommended Arrow. I was loving it for the first season or so. But then it just sort of went downhill and I found Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Basically, if there's a Netflix original in a genre you like, give it a chance. I've found the only ones I didn't enjoy were ones I already knew I wouldn't like, like comedies. Hell, they even got me to binge watch an anime, and I hate anime.

Here's what I'd recommend that isn't already listed.

Horror

Residue
Darknet

Animated Comedy

Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law
Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Animated Action

The 2011 He-Man and Thunderkats reboots
Swat Kats

drummer2006jk

I've been meaning to watch Daredevil and Jessica Jones. I have Netflix, just never got around to sitting down and actually watching them.

SapphireStar

Drama/Action/Police

• The Mentalist: Follows Patrick Jane as he works with a team of police agents to bring criminals to justice while he seeks to find the man who killed his wife and daughter. Jane was a former Psychic, and now uses his talents to catch criminals. The stories are engaging. Dry, saracstic humor. The cast plays well off of each other. The guest stars are phenomanal.

Mystery

Murder, She Wrote: Follows mystery writer Jessica Fletcher as she solves mysteries. It is entertaining, good to watch on a rainy day. Nothing flashy. No special effects. Mysteries are in the tradition of Agatha Christie.

Superhero

Wonder Woman: The original Lynda Carter series.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: First season was pretty good as it followed events of the movies, the following seasons are good. They have started introducing the Inhuman characters.

Animated

Supernatural

Moonlight: Lasted only one season. Starred Alex O'Laughlin (sp?)

Angel: The spinoff series from Buffy, the Vampire Slayer starring Angel. The creators of Grimm produced this show.

Lustful Bride

I just started Watching Penny Dreadful today. I like it!

Zekromnomnom

Neat to see a mention of Powers. I like the comics but I wish the show could have been better. Love the main actor, but I can't spell his name to save my life. The show makes me wish there were more tv adaptations of comics not made by the Big 2.

Also cool that someone else likes the 2011 He-Man. Did you ever watch the early 2000s Ninja Turtles cartoon, Sabby? I watched it on Cartoon Network here and it was pretty good. I know they weren't on around the same time but I associate the Ninja Turtles show I'm talking about with that He-Man show.

Something I like that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned here is Venture Bros.

Also Sealab 2021 and if you can find it, the Brak Show (which probably isn't half as funny without all the commercials that aired on Adult Swim back then).

I liked Ash vs. Evil Dead, but I love Bruce Campbell.

I've heard a lot about Penny Dreadful and ever since I heard the name I was like "That's a cool name for what I'm sure is a cool show". But I don't know where to watch it.

I know this is pretty niche, but two shows I was super sad to see leave Netflix were a couple of British sketch comedy shows. The Catherine Tate Show, which has Catherine Tate, who plays Donna Noble, my favorite Doctor Who companion, and That Mitchell and Webb Look.

Aida Rose

I really like the The Path and Unreal, two shows I just recently saw on Hulu. The Path's pretty much about a cult that insists its a movement x) and all the dysfunction within it. Unreal's tells the story about one of the producers on a reality show based on the Bachelor. She's very anti-hero, like Don Draper and his people. Also, love Jessica Jones, although the intensity got to be too much for me and my roommates, who I'd been binge watching it w/ till we hit an emotional wall.

I second a lot of the shows mentioned here too, like Dark Matter <3

yobo

I just started watching Falling Skies, and so far I'm really enjoying it. I've found that Hawaii Five-O works very well if I want something quick and easy to watch. If you find Andy Samberg funny Brooklyn Nine-Nine could be worth checking out. Twin Peaks is an oldie, and is the kind of TV-series you will either be sucked into or not like at all.

SapphireStar

Sci-fi: Space Military

Babylon 5: Pretty good sci-fi show which aired in the 90s. Complex plots and characters with good action. Excellent writing.

Nico

Good ones, in no particular order

Downton Abbey
The Sopranos
Hannibal
Gomorrah
Sherlock
Peaky Blinders
The X-Files
The Tudors
The Borgias
Da Vinci's Demons
White Collar
Suits
The Simpsons
Two Broke Girls
Lost
House of Cards
CSI: Las Vegas
Boardwalk Empire

Those are the ones I watch more or less regularly.

Lilias

I've watched just enough of Spooks to want to sink nearly £200 into the complete box set. Honestly.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Drake Valentine

Crime Drama
The Blacklist: Is really good, I was never big on crime drama series, but I was impressed after finishing the first season. Definitely worth the price, given it was 20+ episodes long and took me awhile to finish, think I bought it either earlier this month or the month before and just now finally finished first season.
Elementary Eeeeeeeeeeh. I dunno, I think I finished first season of it, but it really isn't captivating my interest enough to give it further attempts. I might of been in season 2 where I stopped. Probably cause it didn't do too good of a job(to me) in keeping some of criminals mystery as I ID most, if not all, before they fully uncovered them(those that were present in the series. Can't remember if there was episode where perp wasn't already shown while it played out.) Plus, I don't really care much for the characters portrayed as Sherlock and Watson.

Horror
Penny Dreadful Is okay, I haven't got too far in it. I kind of got sidetrack with other TV series that cultivated my interest quicker, so I may go back and give it a bit more time. I do know I left off early in season 1 with the doctor(whats his face story line.)

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Csharynn

Prison Break is good, if you don't have high blood pressure now you will after watching the first season. I know it is on Netflix but I'm not sure about Hulu.

The Blacklist is another good one. I have to sit down to catch up on episodes. I enjoy James Spader's character a lot.

Lustful Bride

Just started watching MR. Robot. ITs not bad.

I originally didn't want to watch it because I thought it would be one of those series following a self centered hacker who just wanted to sow anarchy and such for the sake of it.

But it proved me wrong and I actually kind of like the main character and I just realized hes the actor for Josh from Until Dawn. I think I will settle in for the long haul. :-)

Edit: I Just want to take Elliot away from that world. F-Society is just using him and I get the feeling as soon as he has outlived his usefulness, something vile will befall him. Dammit I am developing such a crush on him!

Callie Del Noire

Some of my current faves:
-Person of Interest. Shaw is my favorite but every character has a moment where you just cheer. Even the bad guys.
-Arrow: Not so much this season. Just want Ollie to step out of this continual darkness, but I have hopes give the season finale. Everyone is stepping back, taking a breath..and you can see he's moved much further from the guy he was.
-Flash: The finale left me.. meh.. really hoping for Kid Flash and Jessie Quick.. otherwise, I LOVE this season.
-Wynonna Earp: Horror ala western.. yeah.. I like.
-Black List: Oh yeah.. this is one of my big favorites
-Agents of Shield/Jessica Jones/Daredevil: Given how much I HATE the release of this month's Captain America.. 'Make  mine Marvel ' now as 'TV/Movie Multiverse' added too it. I might never again by another marvel title, but I LOVE the tv shows.. my issue with them are this: 1. Agents ..well stumbles from moment to moment but when you look at an entire season.. its' a good story line. 2. Netflix stuff? Too damn long a way for the next one.. not enough teasers.. COME ON MUST HAVE LUKE CAGE/DANNY RAND/PUNISHER now please!!!!! I really look forward to seeing if they do the initial 'disagreement' between Danny and Luke.. it is a great fight..

New to the viewing list:
-Ash vs Evil Dead.. cause It's Ash.. decades after Army of Darkness. Cause it IS ASH.
-Legends of Tomorrow.. because you can't get enough Leonard Snart and Ray Palmer.. ever..
-Luther (Season 4).. I'm apprehensive but got it on my viewing list.. 2 eps it not enough Luther.
-Preacher: I'm liking the characters. Cassidy is a whole different type of Vamp. Tulip.. is well.. Tulip. Jesse has so much to yet show. Watching Jesse cut loose in the bar.. seeing that smug smile tells me there is oh so much to learn on him.

Tsumugi

I've always wished there was something else to compare to Babylon 5 as far as sci-fi goes in depth and story telling, as well as general world building and with at least a hint of serious real world physics.. (One of the reasons I adore the Planetes series)

Archer is a good comedy, iirc made by the same group that made sealab 2021 etc

The Wire and Newsroom are both good if you like depth to your shows, and would second Dark Matter, Killjoys was watchable but I found it a bit meh on the character front.

Also for a bit of documentary if you haven't seen it Neil deGrasse Tyson's updated 'COSMOS: A Spacetime Odyessy' is a fairly light/fun look at the universe

CaptainNexus616

I would say NCIS but after this last season finale I think I won't be following the show that much anymore.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
It just felt kind of rushed and insulting how Tony's departure was handled. Ok he's secretly been a father since Ziva left but she never told him? Then they kill Ziva (who was a popular character) OFF SCREEN. Sure I get they couldn't get her actress back for one episode but come on! They could have done something different. The writers basically made it clear "Ok since Tony will be gone there is no point keeping Ziva alive now."

Regardless of my feelings on that it is still a great show
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌