The Purge (movie 2013) Am I missing something?

Started by Inkidu, May 26, 2013, 05:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Well, she pointed out that the guy didn't even have window protection.  You'd think a set of Lexan windows around the ground floor would be on the basic model.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on June 04, 2013, 06:24:02 AM
Well, she pointed out that the guy didn't even have window protection.  You'd think a set of Lexan windows around the ground floor would be on the basic model.
My hope in the next generation is somewhat restored then. :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

Yeah, the window thing is weird, though I'm currently going on the assumption that those shots are taken at some point after the baddies have at least partially disabled the security system.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on June 04, 2013, 07:34:43 AM
My hope in the next generation is somewhat restored then. :)

Well, when you can sit around the table and converse about plans for the zombie apocalypse, fending off mere humans is just cake!

Quote from: Shjade on June 04, 2013, 11:18:30 AM
Yeah, the window thing is weird, though I'm currently going on the assumption that those shots are taken at some point after the baddies have at least partially disabled the security system.

You put in Lexan, it doesn't matter if the power/security system is disabled.  That stuff can stop a hockey puck or flying robot parts!

Oh yeah, and bullets, too.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

ZephySempai

The main premise of The Purge is literally its title. It's a Purge.

The point of making all crime legal is so that the people literally kill each other off. In times where the population has blown up to such epic proportions, a lot of strain will be put on resources. The Purge, as a law, is just a guise shadowing the fact that it allows the population to regulate itself. Survival of the fittest and most cunning.

Not sure if anyone else already said the same, but that's pretty much the premise. I think I'll pass on going to the movies for it, but I'll definitely watch this title as the premise is interesting, but the movie itself just strikes me as meh...

Inkidu

Quote from: ZephySempai on June 04, 2013, 05:21:52 PM
The main premise of The Purge is literally its title. It's a Purge.

The point of making all crime legal is so that the people literally kill each other off. In times where the population has blown up to such epic proportions, a lot of strain will be put on resources. The Purge, as a law, is just a guise shadowing the fact that it allows the population to regulate itself. Survival of the fittest and most cunning.

Not sure if anyone else already said the same, but that's pretty much the premise. I think I'll pass on going to the movies for it, but I'll definitely watch this title as the premise is interesting, but the movie itself just strikes me as meh...
Yeah, but it's also a great way to totally ruin the economy. Unless the new American society makes it really hard to get guns and explosives then it's going to see a lot of its money stolen. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Well, there are two ways to interpret what's being 'purged', and both have a certain degree of claim to being the 'right' one.  One is that it's a purge of people, as you say, and the other is that it's a purge of those violent impulses - which I'm sure is what the government in this future-time is claiming.

Valeran

Quote from: Inkidu on May 27, 2013, 09:21:29 AM
I'll never tell. :]

Seriously though not everyone's a closet psycho. Most people don't want to go out and kill a person at least for reals. In honesty if such a scenario were to exist people would go out and rob banks on the one day where it's legal. Go steal a tank or explosive, blow open a bank, instant rich. :\

That's why I think it's a bit weird. Yeah, there would be murder, but most murders are crimes of passion and would happen regardless of a legal murder day. :|

A little open honesty here. I am one of those good honest people. I try to never lie and I try never to harm anyone. But here is the thing. There are times when I am at work or there are times when I am alone or  just messed up times.

Everyone, I am a firm believer, everyone has some violent thought. I would never act upon it. Unless. I was given the opportunity.

Everyone has an ulterior motive. Everyone has a dark secret and I am sure everyone has a darker side.

If I was given the chance to let out all my rage and all my inhibitions and let go of my conscious. By god I would take it.

Shjade

Quote from: Valeran on June 05, 2013, 08:09:46 PM
If I was given the chance to let out all my rage and all my inhibitions and let go of my conscious. By god I would take it.

While I'd agree with this on impulse, I know I'd talk myself out of it if I had to wait until Purge Day to do it. At least if there were more than a few days to wait. I don't hold grudges well and I'm usually good at self-purging my hostile urges.

But if something happened, like, that morning? I would not want to be near me that night when I'm all irrational and haven't had my usual time to overthink everything and lose my anger in the process.

Edit: a thought just occurred to me as I read this post back to myself. Maybe the Purge isn't, itself, what lowers the crime rate in this hypothetical scenario. Maybe it's the knowledge that, suddenly, any bad shit you do can have serious repercussions beyond the legal system.

Like, is it really worth robbing that store when you know in a few months the store owner might just track you down and fucking murder you? I'd be more deterred by that thought than the knowledge that I'm risking X years in prison.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Valeran

Quote from: Shjade on June 06, 2013, 12:27:53 AM
While I'd agree with this on impulse, I know I'd talk myself out of it if I had to wait until Purge Day to do it. At least if there were more than a few days to wait. I don't hold grudges well and I'm usually good at self-purging my hostile urges.

But if something happened, like, that morning? I would not want to be near me that night when I'm all irrational and haven't had my usual time to overthink everything and lose my anger in the process.

Edit: a thought just occurred to me as I read this post back to myself. Maybe the Purge isn't, itself, what lowers the crime rate in this hypothetical scenario. Maybe it's the knowledge that, suddenly, any bad shit you do can have serious repercussions beyond the legal system.

Like, is it really worth robbing that store when you know in a few months the store owner might just track you down and fucking murder you? I'd be more deterred by that thought than the knowledge that I'm risking X years in prison.

I am not usually the type to delve into my personal details. But when I was growing up I was abused physically and emotionally. And only recently got out of the abuse and control that I experienced in my family for years. I abide by the rules. I am kind. I am open and honest. And try to be kind to people. But twenty plus years of abuse, emotional control, and emotional blackmail can leave someone so angry inside.

I hide behind a smile. Inside of me is so much pent up rage, and anger. And sorrow and pain. I use writing RPs and writing my stories and novels as ways to express my inner anger. To express myself. And to let go.

But there are days inside, when I am just angry. I no longer even know why I am so angry.

Anyway before I digress, there was a point that I shared this. I guess I would be one of those closet psychos people are talking about. I'd just love to one day be able to be given the permission to stab the shit out of someone to make me feel better. No matter how much talking, no matter how many musical compositions, no matter how much I write. No matter what good has come in my life I am so still angry inside.

Either way before people are afraid of me, I really am generally a good kind person. I have a hard shell surrounded by fur. Because I know murder is wrong and because I would feel terrible to actually do it, I would never do it. I'd just like to. And I could see how the Purge could be beneficial to some people.

Mathim

I read the plot description and wasn't impressed. Its resoundingly negative reviews would seem to agree.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).