News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Choking Hazard

Started by Inkidu, October 30, 2008, 08:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Most of the ones involving foods are anaphylactic reactions (grab the Epi-pen or your throat closes up.)  Milder forms 'just' cause breaking out in hives.  Sometimes the airborne allergens (like dust, dander, pollen) can cause severe trouble breathing as well (asthma-type inflammation, not throat swelling shut) - the milder reactions are the runny nose, watery eyes, etc.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

Quote from: Oniya on November 03, 2008, 06:51:55 PM
I prefer the Ogden Nash warning label for them myself:

When you shake
The ketchup bottle
First none will come
And then a lot'll.

LOL, gotta love that. I'm not sure that applies anywhere to national laws on safety labels, but I think it proves the laws of physics have a perverse sense of humor.  8)

Kalen

The misspelling in the Subject makes me choke.. can you fix that, please?

Inkidu

Quote from: Kalen on November 09, 2008, 12:08:55 PM
The misspelling in the Subject makes me choke.. can you fix that, please?
Thank you for bringing that to my attention. You're missing a dot, by the way.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Quote from: Moon on February 02, 2009, 05:59:35 PM

I'm sure if you ate dust bunnies the reaction would be more severe than if you just inhaled the tiny particles that float through the air.

Mmm, dust bunnies...

On a personal note, I have recently discovered a new trigger for myself is strawberries. -sigh- 'WAS' my favorite fruit...

That's the sort of thing that makes one debate how 'worth it' allergy shots would be.  :'(
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Jag

I'm allergic to walnuts and such, but I eat them anyway...V_V

They just make my tongue itch a little bit, nothing more. And even to get it to do that takes a large amount of them. So I eat them anyways...>.> *hides this information from her doctor who would kill her if he knew*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

The ones that I keep seeing on product labels are wheat/gluten, milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and soy.  I have an allergy to pine nuts, at least in raw form.  Toasting them to bake cookies didn't have an effect on me, but eating them out of the bag, or raw in a pasta salad makes me nauseous... or worse.

Thank the gods I remembered the feeling of imminent reverse peristalsis from the time when I discovered a similar reaction to my pink prenatal vitamins.