News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Recip E!s with Despickable & Xandi

Started by Autumn52, July 15, 2010, 10:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaakmaal

A recipe thread!  :D

Being a poor college student I usually exist on PB & J and Ramen, but I make sure to really cook real food at least once a month. When I am more awake I might find a recipe. I would love to share a couple of my great-grandma's dessert recipe's, but she would haunt me for eternity. I'll find something less blasphemous to post.

Autumn52

Thank you to Lady Haven and DD for the excellent recipes I can't wait to try them.

To Zaakmaal, I don't think your great-grandma would mind if you share some of her recipe's with us.  ;D   I would love to have a recipe from you. Please feel free to drop one in at anytime.

Hugs to all of you and thanks for visiting the thread. I hope you enjoyed it.

May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Autumn52

I stole this recipe from the doormat with Despaireaux's permission. (giggles) It sounded so good I wanted everyone to get to try it. YUMMY

Quote from: Despaireaux on October 17, 2010, 06:58:01 PM
Ok what you need is:
around 3 large spoonfuls of butter
1 can of cream of shrimp
1 can cream of celery
1 can rotel tomatoes (mexican)
1 pound of peeled and preferably deveined shrimp
small amount of green onions

Chop up the green onions into small pieces around 1/5 of an inch long and wash them to make sure they are clean. Then place the butter and the chopped green onions into a good sized skillet. Heat on high and mix around until the butter in all near melted, then add the can of cream of shrimp, cream of celery, and rotel tomatoes. Stir well and wait around 1minute or so while stirring it to mix them all together well. Add the shrimp and cook until shrimp turn pink and are ready to be eaten. Add Tony Satcherie's seasoning (If you can't get some then salt and pepper works fine.) Then just serve over rice and enjoy the meal.

Thanks Despaireaux
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

fireflights

this is my spaghetti/lasagna sauce

one pound ground beef
one pound sausage
two tablesp oil
one tablesp garlic
1 medium size diced
1 green bell pepper diced
1 red bell pepper diced
1 cup chopped onion
1 container cut up musrooms
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
1 large jar artichoke hearts
2 cans diced tomatoes with basil, oregano
1 can tomato paste
1 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese

in large saute pan heat oil and add garlic with onion,  for two minutes or until lightly carmalized, cook sausage and ground beef, cook until no longer pink. add other vegetables aside from artichoke hearts and cook until crisp but not soft. add tomatoes, paste and artichoke hearts with parmesan and simmer for 20 mins. serve over pasta or layer into lasagna with ricotta cheese and bake at 350 for 45mins

I have taken the oath of the Drake

Livin in MD now.

Not taking anymore one on ones but ones already discussed with the partners.

Despaireaux

Now that sounds like some serious sketti sauce!
Did you know life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% fatality rate?

Autumn52

Thank you very much for the recipe fireflights it sounds wonderful and I look forward to trying it. I love Italian food and this sounds absolutely wonderful.  ;D

Hugs and Kisses for contributing

fireflights

you're welcome xandi and if incouraged right i might share my stuffed shells recipe

I have taken the oath of the Drake

Livin in MD now.

Not taking anymore one on ones but ones already discussed with the partners.

Autumn52

Quote from: fireflights on October 18, 2010, 11:12:43 PM
you're welcome xandi and if incouraged right i might share my stuffed shells recipe

I am not above begging....

~gets on knees and crawls over to fireflights on knees hands crossed together in a pleading way~

Please, please, please can we have your stuffed shells recipe......

~Gives you the big puppy dog eyes, adorably and innocently~

despickable

Oh begging. I love pasta too. So please I have shells sitting at home here waiting to be filed. So please fire flights send the recipe  PLEASE

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

despickable

Des: Well here we are again. It’s been a busy time for all and we have had a tough time getting over to do our thread. I know you have been busy Xandi So I guess it’s as good as time as any to try our hand at the cooking again. So Xandi have you had a chance to review some of the recipes and have any questions this week and tell us what you have been doing of a culinary nature.

Xandi: I have reviewed the Frittata and the Prune cake this week I have some pictures below.

Des: Cool well I have been eating out a bit this week and so I haven’t been cooking and I haven’t been destroying omelets either.. I do have a little improvement on the humble winter warmer porridge.

DES INPORRIDGABLE
Make porridge from the packet, instant oats can be microwaved in 2mins and add these as extra

I cup water (cold)
1 cup Milk
2 cups porridge

Place in microwave for two mins.

Once done add more milk if it is too dry for you. I stir in two table spoons of Elderberry jam and sprinkle with cinnamon
Stir and if need be microwave a further min.
A tasty warming treat to take out the winter’s cold and yummy too.
You can use what ever jam you like and add fruit too if you want. This much should serve two to three people. Add one cup of water or milk to every 2 cups of porridge

Des: I haven't got any questions so far but I send kind thanks to all contributors to this thread over the last week or so We love them all and keep them coming.

Xandi: This time of year seems to be quite busy for everyone. I am hoping with the holidays coming up to be able to share with everyone some of my holiday favorite recipes within the next few weeks. As of now I don't really have any questions for this week other than to ask our readers if they are enjoying the thread and recipes being presented. We would love to hear your comments, feel free to post them. I would once again like to Thank everyone who has been reading as well as participating. This week I tried Lady Haven's Prune cake and DiverseDesires Frittata. They were wonderful. My friends enjoyed them both. The Cake was so moist and flavorful I will be making it this year for Christmas and Thanksgiving. Thank you Lady Haven for sharing it, and the story of the little old lady was quite nice too. DD your frittata recipe was soooo good, everyone said they just wanted more, so that is always nice to here. I appreciate the recipes and so do my friends. Thanks again Ladies.

My recipe for this week is one of my favorites, I hope it will be one of yours too.

Chicken Enchilada's

Ingredients:
4 Large Chicken breast (boiled and De-boned, cut into bite size pieces)

Sauce:
1 1/2 Cups of Chicken broth (I use the water I boiled the chicken in)
2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
3 (4oz.) Cans, Diced Green Chilies
16 oz. or 2 Cups of Sour cream
1 1/2 pounds Velveeta Cheese, (Cubed)

Instructions:
Heat the chicken broth, mushroom soup, and green chilies until bubbly. Add in the velveeta and sour cream. Melt stirring regularly. Make sure your heat is low enough so that the cheese wont stick to the bottom. Once all the cheese is melted take off the heat and set aside.

You also need:
12 to15 corn tortillas
6 Tbs. oil

Heat oil and soften the tortillas in the oil draining after you remove them from the oil.

Also:
1 1/2 pounds of American or Cheddar Cheese (grated)

Assembling your Enchiladas:
First pour some sauce in the bottom of a 13x9" pan. Second fill your corn tortillas with chicken and a little bit of the grated cheese, roll and place in a single layer in the pan. Third, after all the tortillas have been filled pour sauce over enchiladas until it covers them well, and top with remaining cheese. Bake at 375* for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown. When you remove the enchilada's from the oven let them cool for at least 5 minutes before serving, this allows the sauce to set.

TIP:
You can do everything ahead of time except put the sauce over the enchiladas. Wait until ready to bake before putting the sauce over them or they will be dry. Enjoy!

Lady Haven's Prune Cake

DiverseDesires Frittata

Ingredients:
3 Large Eggs
2 small potatoes diced
4 slices of bacon (fried and crumbled)
1/2 small onion (diced)
1/2 can (4oz.) diced green Chile's
4 slices American Cheese

These were the ingredients I had on hand to try. I have put a picture of how it came out and it was yummy. YUMMY!

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Rhedyn

Oat and Raisin Cookies

Ok, so it's taken a little longer than planned to add this recipe but better late than never  ;D

4oz plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
4oz butter
4oz caster sugar
3 1/2oz light brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
3oz oats
6oz raisins/sultanas

Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy then add the egg and vanilla. Beat thoroughly.
Mix in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt until well combined.
Add the oats and raisins mixing thoroughly.
Drop heaped spoonfuls onto greased baking sheets (mixture should make around 18 - 20 cookies).
Bake in a preheated oven, gas mark 4/180C/350F for about 15 minutes until just firm at the edges.

It's very easy to over bake these cookies. They should be baked until just firm at the edges, still pale and appearing underdone in the middle.
This will keep them chewy when they cool. Enjoy  :-)

Autumn52

oooo thoses sound so good. I want to bake them now. Thank you so much Rhedyn I will make them this week if possible. I can't wait to try them. YUMMY

Thanks so much.

Hugs and Kisses

Rhedyn

It's my pleasure... I hope you like them *hugs*

Imogen

Easy to make salmon pie:

Ingredients:

approx 6 sheets of puff pastry (or as many as you need to cover your baking tin - spring form is easiest for this)
1 large can of salmon (approx 200 gram)
1 can of chunked pineapple
0.2 Litres of cream
100 gram cream cheese (or a bit more if you like cream cheese, doesn't matter too much)
4 eggs

preheat oven at approx 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a baking tin (preferably spring form) and cover with puff pastry.

Open the pineapple can and drain the juice. The drier the chunks will be the more firm the pie will end up. Clean the salmon and set aside. Cut the cream cheese in dicey chunks.

Whisk the eggs with the cream, stir in the salmon and cream cheese and add the pineapple. Pour into the bin and put in the oven for approx one hour/hour and a half. Just keep an eye on it after an hour the first time you bake it. The top should be golden brown and the inside should be firm (check with a fork)
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Autumn52

A big thank you to Imogen for that Salmon Recipe. I can't wait to try it. Thank you sooooo much. Huggles.

Xandi: Well Des another week has flown by and I thought maybe this week since the holidays are coming up we could talk about holiday favorites. What are some holiday favorites that find their way onto your table every year? If it is ok with you I would like to make this kind of an ongoing thing throughout the months of November and December. We will start with November, here in the states we celebrate Thanksgiving on the fourth Thursday of the month which means that it falls this year on November 25th. Now to our readers I would love to hear some of the Thanksgiving day meals that you enjoy. What are some of your favorite items on the table that day? I will start things off; on my Thanksgiving table I always serve cornbread dressing instead of stuffing. I hate stuffing a turkey. I will include my recipe, which was my mothers and her mothers. It has been on every Thanksgiving table for as long as I can remember. Now how about you Des, Do you celebrate something like Thanksgiving over in Australia? if so what is your favorite item on the table?

Des: We don't have Thanksgiving here and we don't have any holiday's really until Christmas. We have Christmas and then the day after Christmas is Boxing day. We do pretty much the traditional Christmas here, the only difference is we have hot weather while you American's enjoy really cold weather. The weather lends itself to having BBQ's like you American's do on your 4th of July. Every year we have what is called a "White Christmas", it is a sweet treat that is only available around Christmas. I will include the recipe further down.
                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xandi's Cornbread Dressing

Step One
First thing turn your oven on to 400* and put 3/4 a stick of butter in a cast iron 10' or 12' skillet. Put that in the oven and let the butter melt while you make the cornbread.

Step Two
Ingredients For Cornbread:
2 - 6.5 oz. Betty Crocker Cornbread and Muffin Mix
Mix it according to the package directions. It calls for milk, melted butter, egg.

Instructions:
Mix the milk and the eggs then pour into the cornbread mix, mix it good but don't over mix. Next take your hot skillet out of the oven and add the melted butter into the mix. Leave a little in the pan only pour about half or so into the mix. Stir until well blended. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

My mother use to make her cornbread from scratch but this mix is my favorite and it taste the same. You can do it the way you like I do it this way because it is quick and easy.

Step Three
Dressing Ingredients:
1 Large White Onion (diced)
3 or 4 Stalks of Celery (cleaned and diced)
2 Green Bell Peppers (cleaned and diced)
4 cups of Chicken Stock (homemade or a good store brand)

Instructions:
Bring all the items to a boil put the lid on the pot when it begins to boil so that you don't lose to much of your stock to evaporation. Boil everything until the veggies are tender crisp. Remove from heat and set aside.

Step Four
Bring one dozen eggs to a boil. Hard boil the eggs by putting them in cold water and bring them to a boil once they are boiling remove from heat and let set in hot water for 15 minutes. Then run under cool water and remove the shells. Once you have all your eggs peeled rough chop them and set them aside.

Step 5
Seasonings:
2 or 3 tsps of Salt (depending on your taste)
Half that amount of Pepper
4 to 6 Tbs. of Rubbed Sage (Again this is according to taste, Do not use ground sage the taste is different)

Mix all your spices together and now you are ready to assemble.

In a large bowl crumble your cooked and cooled cornbread. Next pour in your veggies with the chicken stock, mix thoroughly. Next add in your rough chopped eggs and spices mix it thoroughly and taste it to see if you need more salt or sage. Just a tip begin on the low end of the salt and sage and then you can always add more once you taste it. Also Sage gets stronger once it cooks so think about that while seasoning.

Once it is mixed well pour into a deep 13x9 pan and bake at 350 degrees until the top is slightly browned and the middle it set. It should be a little runny when you put it in to cook, if you need to add a little more stock do so. NO ONE likes dry dressing.

Remove from oven when it is just slightly browned and the middle had set up. You should be able to touch the middle and it not be jiggly. Do Not Overcook.

I serve it with a great turkey gravy that I will give you the recipe for next week. I hope you enjoy it
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This a variation of the Chocolate Crackle which is done slightly different and using milk chocolate I can post the recipe for that another time.
You put this White Christmas on the table and it is snaffled up quicker than a $20 I phone.

I think you will love this Xandi as will our readers and I hope you all give it a go

White Christmas

3 cups rice bubbles (Rice Krispies)
1 cup mixed fruit
1 cup dessicated coconut
1 cup dry powdered milk
3/4 cup of sifted icing sugar (powdered)
225 grams copha
drop of vanilla essence

1.Put 3 cups of rice bubbles(krispies), 1 cup of mixed fruit,essence,
dessicated coconut, dry powdered milk and 3/4 sifted icing sugar in a bowl.
2. Melt 225 grams copha in saucepan. Add copha to dry ingredients in bowl
and mix well.
3. Press mixture firmly into a biscuit tray. Set in a refrigerator. Cut into squares.

Makes a nice little Christmas gift if placed in cellophane and decorated with ribbons.

If you can't get copha you can replace it with 125 grams of butter melted and 250 grams of white chocolate melted and that can replace the copha and dry milk powder. Copha is hydrogenated coconut fat.You can probably get it online at a speciality shoppe. You can add things to it like dried fruits if you like so experiment with it and enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Xandi:I made Rhedyn's Oat and Raisin cookies this week and well they tasted wonderful. I have to say that they looked terrible. I am going to post the picture so you can all laugh at me. My friends loved them and they were soft and chewy, but I think I will have to play with the recipe to make it work right for me. I did something wrong obviously but the flavor was wonderful. Thank you Rhedyn and once you see mine perhaps you can figure out what I did wrong. If you do please let me know. I really like these cookies.   

Des: So the great Xandi had a little trouble with the cookies hey. I ought to do a little laughing and ribbing here after your reaction to my omelet, but I will hold my tongue, but either you can't take a good photo or well anyway I am glad they tasted good and no one tossed their cookies.

I will be trying my hand at making them when i visit family and see if i can do a batch and see how they come out.

Xandi: *Shakes her head at Des' comment*
I want to request that everyone give us their favorite holiday recipes. I want to add some new favorites to my table this year that way I can tell all my RL friends about how my Online Friends are with me even during the holidays. Happy Holidays to everyone this year.

Oreo

I make these every Christmas along with all kinds of truffles, cream filled, nut chews, toffees, fudge and brittles, but these are the easiest candy ever.

Super Easy Mallow Treats

1 lrg bag marshmallows
2 12-16oz bag candy chips (chocolate, peanut butter, butterscotch, mint, or white chocolate)
2 cups coating (granola, coconut, nuts, crushed candy,mini M&Ms, sprinkles, trailmix, etc.)
(choose whatever combination of chips and coatings you think would taste good)

Melt chips in double boiler. Place 1 marshmallow on a bamboo skewer or toothpick. Dip and coat with melted chips, tapping off excess. Roll in coating. Slip off of skewer onto waxed paper, cool and eat.
Keeps well for several weeks in freezer baggies.

Granola butterscotch is my favorite.

These can be altered for the various holidays; pastel coloring for Easter, Halloween colors, the coconut can be colored for the Fourth of July, etc.. I have also put two marshmallows on a Popsicle stick and they come out looking like a solid piece. I once stuffed them with pieces of dried fruit. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination.

These are easy for kids to make *winks*

The ones rolled in chopped peanuts and toasted coconut are on the right hand side.
The bottom middle were dipped in mint chips and rolled in chocolate sprinkles.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

despickable

Thanks Oreo. They look yum I reckon I can make them and I will be sure to try them out and i will let all know how I went

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Autumn52

Oh thank you soooo much Oreo I love marshmallows and well who doesn't like them right? giggles

I can't wait to try it out....YUMMY

Thanks a ton.

despickable

Des: Well another week has whizzed by and we are back on the trail of the culinary arts.
We have been looking at holiday meals and I am sure Xandi has something tasty to get our teeth into, and a nice meal too. Giggle. We in Australia follow more of the English traditions of Christmas, in searing hot temperatures, we gorge ourselves on Ham Turkeys, Chicken and all the roasts meats with frenzy, and we often do it as cold meat too. Its customary that the men do the barbecue and the women do the salads we also like to lash out with desserts. Trifle is one of my favorites for it’s the sweets that are more of a tradition over the Christmas table than the main meal.

We love all things English like plum pudding, with a hidden ten-cent piece in it. The lucky one, if they don’t swallow the thing and end up in hospital, get to keep the surprise bit of silver money.
One thing I haven’t had at our Christmas table in a while is the English pleasure, the Yorkshire pudding, or as it is commonly called, Yorkshire Pud. I would love to have our UK reader’s recipe on the Yorkshire Pudding It is a real treat and so very English.

I have a few recipes of some sweets that are very popular in the winter and would suit the colder climes you are in over there Xandi. I have put in my mum’s recipe for Bread and Butter Pudding and some variations of it. I am sure these will warm up the gang over Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The Pavlova, which I think I have mentioned to you before Xandi, is in fact a New Zealand dish. But we Aussie’s often claim things from New Zealand as ours, especially if they’re good. Take Russell Crowe, when he wins an Oscar he is that Australian actor, when he throws a phone at someone and goes off his nut, he is that bloke from New Zealand

I will be putting in a recipe for that too but below are the Bread and Butter puddings I do hope Xandi that you can make one and try it out and of course any other of the readers too.

And thanks to all for your contributions.

Des' Mom's Bread and Butter Pudding

If you haven't had bread and butter pudding for ages, today's the day!
Bread & butter pudding!
Ingredients:
·   50g unsalted butter
·   12 slices white bread
·   50g sultanas
·   4 eggs plus 4 egg yolks
·   175g caster sugar
·   300ml thin cream
·   300ml thickened cream
·   1 vanilla pod, split, seeds scraped
·   3 tbs thin-cut marmalade
·   Instead of Marmalade you can add strawberry Jam
How to make it step by step:
1.   Lightly butter a 2-litre baking dish. Butter the bread, remove the crusts, and then cut each slice into 2 triangles. Arrange triangles in layers in the dish, and then sprinkle the sultanas in between layers. Don't put any sultanas on the top layer, as they will burn.
2.   Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks and caster sugar. Place both creams in a saucepan with the vanilla pod and seeds and bring to scalding point. Pour cream over the egg mixture and whisk lightly to combine. Strain mixture over bread slices, making sure not to dislodge them. Set pudding aside for at least 30 minutes - this ensures that the pudding will be light and not stodgy.
3.   Preheat the oven to 180°C.
4.   Place the baking dish in a large roasting pan and pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
5.   Cover the dish loosely with foil, place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake the pudding uncovered for a further 15 minutes or until golden
6.   Heat the marmalade in the microwave for about 40 seconds or in a small saucepan over low heat for 1-2 minutes until spreadable. Remove pudding from oven and use a pastry brush to spread marmalade over top. Return to oven for 2-3 minutes, and then serve immediately.
Thanks mum. Why did I ever leave home? I miss this It was always loved mum’s recipe for this, there are other versions of it variations such as Rum and Raisin and a chocolate one and Cinnamon

I will try and get that on here some time soon.
Anyway Xandi what is happening with you. I know you have something for me

Xandi:Well that sounds great Des I am definitely going to try that out as soon as I can work out the conversions. I thought I would give you my Turkey recipe this week along with an easy pie recipe. I hope you all will enjoy these.

Roasted Turkey

Ingredients:
12 or 15 pound Turkey (take out the giblets and rinse the turkey until the water runs clean)
Oven bag the size for Turkey

Large pan
Wire rack (one that will fit inside the bag and the turkey can sit on)

1 stick of butter
Salt and Pepper
Dried Rubbed Sage (about 1 Tbs.)

Instructions:
Mix the spices and butter and then smear it all over the turkey and under the skin of the turkey. Once you have it everywhere put what is left inside the bird. Put the turkey inside the baking bag on the wire rack. The reason for putting it on the rack is so that the Turkey can brown on bottom too, and it does not sit in the juice. It will remain moist but still brown. Tie up the bag and poke 6 holes in the top for the steam to escape then bake for about 2 hours or however long the instructions on your bag tells you for your size turkey minus 30 minutes. When the time is at 30 minutes until done pull the turkey out of the oven it should be nice a brown on top. Poke a hole in the bottom of the bag and drain all the juice into a bowl, set aside. Put the Turkey back in the oven for the remaining time until done.

Use the juice you drained from the turkey for gravy and the dressing. I add chicken stock with the turkey juice to round out what I need for the dressing. The turkey when done should sit for 15 minutes before you try an carve it so that the juice redistribute. It is moist and yummy every time.

Lemon Icebox Pie

Ingredients:
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
10 oz. Whipped topping (coolwhip)
8 oz. Frozen Lemonade Consentrate
Graham cracker crust

Instructions:
Mix all the ingredients until light and fluffy. Pour into pie crust. Sprinkle the top with a few graham cracker crumbs, chill for a few hours or overnight.
This can be made fat free with the fat free or low fat substitutes, but why bother. *Giggles* no really the fat free version is not bad at all.

Well that is all I have for this week I will be trying out Oreo's marshmallow treats today so I will have a review soon.

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

DiverseDesires

Yorkshire Puddings

The trick with yorkshire puddings is how hot the tin and fat is that you pour the batter into - if it isn't SIZZLING hot it's no good. For preheating I have my oven on 220/230

You also need to let the batter rest for at LEAST half an hour - preferably longer

The traditionalists cook it in beef dripping or lard - or goose fat (like the best roast potatoes), but veg oil works as well but it does give a different taste - everyone had their own opinions on which tastes best!

The basic recipe is:

4oz plain flour
large pinch salt and pepper
8-10floz full cream milk
2 beaten eggs

I personally also add the yolk of one extra egg, a drop of veg oil - and if I am using semi-skimmed milk a splash of cream, or yogurt or creme fraiche etc

Fat for cooking it in as above

Place the flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the middle of the flour and place the beaten eggs and about a quarter of the milk into the well. Using a wooden spoon or whisk, stir until you have a smooth thick paste. Gradually add the rest of the milk*, stirring continuously until all the liquid has been incorporated. Cover with cling film and leave to rest for at least half an hour.  (I make mine at breakfast time for that day's lunch)

*How much milk you end up using will depend on the flour and the size of the eggs and will vary every time. It needs to end up being a batter which is very slightly thicker than a crepe batter about the consistency of double cream.

The way most people cook the batter is in bun tins or muffin tins, but some families still do it in a large roasting tin - traditionally the tin you cooked the meat in so you got all the flavors from it - or as in some parts of yorkshire the meat was open roasted on the rack in the oven, the Yorkshire pudding is then cooked underneath it - catching all the drips - although that is very rare now and almost in the realms of cooking history.  In those days the yorkshire pudding was often served up first - with gravy - the children often told if they had seconds of it they could have seconds of meat (which as meat was more scarce was a way of getting them to fill up on pud first!)

In my family I tend to use patty tins(bun tins) or muffin tins for Sunday roasts, pie tins (the size of a small dinner plate) for weekday meals (the meat/veg/gravy is then served up in it) or in a large roasting tin for toad in the hole etc (A large Yorkshire pudding with sausages in it a real British favorite)

So choose the tin you prefer and put enough of your choice of fat in it to coat the bottom of every section - not so much it is a swimming pool but somewhere between an eighth and one sixteenth an inch deep (again personal taste)

Preheat the fat and the tins in the oven for 10/15 mins until smoking hot.

Working quickly pour in the batter (which should bubble and fizz if the fat and tin is hot enough) - in the bun tins no more than 2/3rds full and in a big tin less than half.  And get back into the hot oven, normally near the top.

About 20/25 mins for the individual ones - they are cooked when they are puffed up and golden brown.  Some people turn the oven down to 190 for another few minutes to make sure the bottoms get v well cooked.  For large ones it can take anything from half and hour to 45  mins or more - again once you have tried your tin and your oven you get to know how long yours take
- my large Toad in the holes take about an hour.

You can add flavorings to the batter - or even pour it over chunks of roasting veg - like sweet onions with some sage in the batter mix, which is good for roasts, rosemary for lamb,  mustard for sausages -  the variations are endless

extra flavorings you can add to your batter:
concentrate liquid stock
garlic
mustard
herbs
chili (v finely diced)
curry powder

sugar/vanilla (this is for puddings you can toss in any soft fruit technically called Clafoutis)

And like I mentioned earlier making plate or bowl sized ones that can then be filled with almost anything is a great way of getting away from potatoes and rice etc - for instance recently these have been in mine:

Chicken fricassée
Chicken with white wine and cream sauce
Roast beef and onion gravy
slightly spicy tomato, sausage and bean casserole
pork chops in cider
smokey BBQ meat feast and beans

Hope that covers it! And I'll prob be back about bread pudding (chocolate is lovely as is banana and toffee- oh DON't get me started!  Then when it comes to Christmas pudding I have a recipe which has been handed down from through seven generations already!  I often have a ton of people for Christmas lunch, and there is a riot if I say I might not being doing it!  So I have lots of lovely recipes for trimmings too - if anyone wants them

enjoy x x x
"The imagination is the spur of delights… all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" ~Marquis de Sade~

Imaginings  ~  Desirables  ~  Wilful Words  ~  Diary - A/A  Updated September 15th

Lady Haven

Hello Xandi and Des, since it is the Holiday season I have decided to put in a couple of my family's favorite desserts.

Pecan Pie

3 lg eggs
1 c. corn syrup
1 c. sugar
2 tbs. melted butter (not margarine)
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 to 2 cups pecan halves
9 inch deep dish or 10 inch piecrust (you can make your own piecrust or store bought)

In small sauce pan melt butter. Melting the butter can be a bit tricky, you need to melt till it is turning slightly brown but not burned..COOL !!!

In large bowl stir the first 5 ingredients until well blended. Stir in Pecans. Pour mixture into pie shells, bake in a 325* to 350* oven (depending on how hot your oven gets) for about 45 to 55 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean. COOL....

TIP::: wrap foil around the edge of piecrust to keep from over cooking the edges..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next is another of our family's favorites.

Sweet Potato Pie

3 to 4 lg sweet potato's
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 c. sugar
4 lg eggs
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Pumpkin Pie Spice to taste (VERY IMPORTANT)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 can evaporated milk (must be evaporated milk)

Cook potato's until done enough to mash but not overcooked. Peel and mash potatoes when cooled. In a large bowl mix all ingredients together adding in the potatoes last. You can do the mixing with a hand mixer. But do not puree. Pour into 2 or 3 (deep dish or regular inch) uncooked pie shells. Bake at 350* to 375* for 45 to 50 minutes or until done. Shake pie to check doneness, the pie should not be jiggly in the center. Touch the top of pie to check for firmness. COOL.... Top with whipping cream or cool whip or ice cream. You choose...

I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays..

Lady Haven's ONs & OFFs Page
Life is like a puzzle, were all little pieces trying to fit in.

Autumn52

Thank you Lady Haven and DD for your recipes, I can't wait to try them. Hugs to both of you.

This week I made Oreo's Super Easy Mallow Treats. I made mine with milk chocolate chips and toasted coconut and butterscotch chips with pecan pieces. I have put the pictures in to show how they came out. I also made Des' moms bread and butter pudding, I have put a picture of it in as well. They both came out yummy. I gave some of them to my friend who helped me with the experiment. She said, the chocolate coconut was her favorite with the marshmallow thingys and she likes the idea she can make these with any kind of chips and topping. The bread pudding was not her favorite but she said it was good. I loved them both.

Thanks to everyone who keeps giving us recipes. I can't wait to try out some of the new ones we got. Hugs to everyone.

despickable

Thanks DD and Lady Haven for you contributions. I am partial to Yorkshire Pud, so my heart can be won there lol

And thank you Xandi for trying out the Bread and Butter pudding I am pleased you liked it.

I am going to try making Oreo's treats they seem easy enough I will let everyone know how it went, good or bad, you know me.

PS I successful made an omelet I followed all instructions only disater was dropping an egg on the floor he is a pic i took of it

and yummy too

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Oreo

Thanks Xandi. I forgot to mention I generally mix the leftover toppings with the leftover melted chips and then pour it out and let it cool. >_> Break it into pieces and then eat. I have also used the leftovers to make fudge.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Sweet Trouble

Quote from: despickable on November 12, 2010, 12:46:35 AM
PS I successful made an omelet I followed all instructions only disater was dropping an egg on the floor he is a pic i took of it
and yummy too

YEAH! Des!!! (applause, wolf whistles, and fist pumps)