DnD 5e: Brightvale Chronicles

Started by ShadowFox89, December 15, 2015, 10:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

Brightvale is a rather decently sized trading town, located at the mouth of a river, between two valleys. Brightvale's harbor is busy year round, the temperate climate keeping the waters from getting too cold. It's proximity to the three major kingdoms of Byrn'dyr, Cyrene, and Psychriae (Elvish, Human, and Dwarven respectively) means that it has been fought over for hundreds of years. At the far end of the valley lays a massive wall, a gate of steel and stone keeping those who would threaten the peaceful valley out.

But that same wall and the natural defenses are also what keeps Brightvale's dark secrets hidden away. Cults, strange creatures lurking in the valley's caves, and all manner of the strange and foul have begun appearing around the harbor town. Whether by divine providence or by chance, heroes have come to Brightvale just when it needs them most.

So! Brightvale is going to be a game for 3-5 level 7 characters. For stats, 28 point buy, average hitpoints with maximum at first, and any non-magical equipment you can think of wanting, you can get. Just be reasonable and don't take a hundred followers armed with siege equipment. You will also be allowed one magic item of uncommon quality, though you should ask for anything unusual (so +1 to an item, go ahead, anything else ask). For sources, anything outside of the player's handbook ask, the Eberron Unearthed Arcana is allowed (shifters, warforged, and changelings are common races).

This will not be a first come first serve game, I'm going to look for a balanced party. Please include a character name, class, race, and some sort of background and description. The world is fairly open to describe as it will help. I'm still working on the setting, but the races roughly match up to ancient/medieval cultures:
Dwarves- Greek
Elves- Nordic
Shifters/werecreatures- Celtic
Haflings- Aztec
Orcs- Egyptian
Humans- Roman

Bad End- What is a Bad End? It is an alternative to a character death. If you opt out of the Bad End, then when your character dies, they simply die. They can be resurrected later if you can find a powerful enough mage, but they're dead. If you opt in for the Bad End, then when your character would die, they black out instead. Waking up in a dungeon or cell or someplace, they will be left to the mercy (or lack of) of whatever knocked them out in the first place and have to try and make it back to the party (and if they die again, repeat the bad end process). The party can attempt to reach them as well, though this could result in things going swiftly downhill.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Lyku

Every great dream begins with a dreamer.  Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.  – Harriet Tubman

DomJoe

Y'know, I've been itching to try out a few character concepts for 5e... I'd really like to have a bash at this.

Aztec Halflings though, that sounds really interesting... and I don't usually say that about Halflings.

Lyku

Every great dream begins with a dreamer.  Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.  – Harriet Tubman

Chulanowa

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 15, 2015, 10:33:25 PM
Haflings- Aztec

Is it weird that I actually have multiple images that fit this?

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

persephone325

This looks interesting.

I'm a 5e noob. I've only ever played Pathfinder. This is on the forums, right? What's the posting rate you expect?
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

DomJoe

I'm likely to make a Human Paladin/Warlock. This aught to be fun. Sheet should come in tonight, backstory and character details may come later depending on inspiration.

Premier

I'd be up for a Shifter Barbarian. Sassy Celtic Women are pretty great!

ShadowFox89

Updated the first post with the Bad End rule. I'll be updating it tomorrow with a proper RTJ format'd sheet to be filled out.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

DomJoe

Is content from Elemental Evil allowed? I almost have my sheet down pact, I just need to set up my inventory and work out my magic item (which make take some finagling).

ShadowFox89

Content from the free pdf of Elemental Evil is allowed, yes. I'll probably add the races in somewhere at some point (Mongolian Goliaths riding giant horses maybe?).
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Lockepick

Hello! I'd love to play if you've still got room! Leaning towards a Drow or Half-Elf Bard. Think I'm going more Half-Elf now...
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

DomJoe

Character Sheet in progress (mostly backstory) It appears I might have misunderstood what was accepted. Is all the Unearthed Arcana stuff allowed (or at least stuff from Underdark)?

Nanachan

The Siren of Troska
Human Female
Sorceress

Cyrene sailors tells a tale about an island where a creature known as the Siren of Troska lives. The creature is claimed to be beautiful beyond belief and many great heroes have seeked her out, either for help or to claim her as theirs. Many came for her, few returned, those who did tells story of a woman of limitless carnal desires.

In truth, The Siren of Troska was a mortal woman, exiled to the island of Troska as a child due to her manifestation of sorcerous powers. There, she used her newfound powers to survive. She met an old blind shepherd living alone in the island who cared for her during those years. She loved the blind shepherd but time would not be denied its prize and years later, the old man died, leaving her alone once more. This was when adventure found her. A small band of pirate landed on the island, seeking refuge. They found her herding the lambs left by her adopted father and decided to claim both livestock and maiden. The Siren, in a moment of anger, unleashed her powers, long kept in check on the raiders, burning them to ash (burning hand). Some escaped, to report to their captain, who decided to hunt the woman down. Many nights passed and the captain instead returned to his ship, butchering a crewmember in their sleep until they had to put him down. The Siren had driven him insane (Suggestion)

Soon, stories began to spread of the Siren and great warriors seeked her out, but instead of a monstrous hag, they found a lovely and charming women who took them to bed and pleasured them in ways they never thought possible. The Siren never attacks unless her guests initiated the hostility, but when her ire is raised, her fury is a terror to behold.

Siren, as she is called, adores heroic men and women, lusts after them, and would lend her aid to them before returning to her island. One day, a dream came to her, of a great hero and lover she once met. This man, Castorus, was dying, in a far away land called Brightvale. She also sees that both the forces of evil and heroism gathers in the land, something is about to happen. Once again, she left her island to find the man she once calls friend and lover and to see for herself the evil in her dreams. (I don't think there's a spell that simulates this, so we can just say the dream is given to her by some other forces)

Short term goal
-Find Castorus
-Aid heroic men and women in their quest (and pleasure them when the chance is presented)

Long term goal
-Find out what is happening in the region

Nanachan

Ooh, I like that picture of Servius, perhaps we can say that he was one of the heroes that seeked out and bedded Siren?

ShadowFox89

I should note, I have a preference for running games with female characters......
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Lockepick

I was intending to play a female -- but if you're not interested in male players with female characters -- let me know! Wouldn't want to plan something out to be shot down on those grounds.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

ShadowFox89

I'm fine with males playing females and vice versa, it's just that female characters give me more room to play with so to speak.... much more to be done with them.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

DomJoe

Quote from: DomJoe on December 16, 2015, 09:11:30 PM
It appears I might have misunderstood what was accepted. Is all the Unearthed Arcana stuff allowed (or at least stuff from Underdark)?

Still could use an answer to this. As for my character, I could easily change them to a female if that really makes it better, it shouldn't change them too much as a result.

schnookums

Hmm, very tempted...I'm in a lot of games but this looks like a lot of fun

ShadowFox89

Underdark UA looks fine for now.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AndyZ

Interested.  I'll have to read up on the Eberron options.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 16, 2015, 10:14:29 PM
I'm fine with males playing females and vice versa, it's just that female characters give me more room to play with so to speak.... much more to be done with them.

You can get things done to male chars too you know ;). Anycase voicing interest, need take bit time to generate the char though. So far leaning towards a figther/champion. Or cleric with Love domain.

DomJoe

Servia's backstory is complete, I will be contacting Shadow shortly to discuss her magical item.