Neon Genesis Evangelion

Started by Haibane, July 09, 2008, 05:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haibane

EDIT - 06 NOV 2009:

This is an old game that was started but fell by the wayside. I'm looking to resurrect this. Please see the end of the thread for the latest ideas.

Lithos

Well, have to say that NGE is one of my favourite series.

What time in series would this be happening?

Also... what would be your character preference... There is one character in the series that I appreciate above everything else, but nice plot dealing with him might be... tricky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Xu1Id0iPc

Pm if you think that there could be something interesting to be made with him though :P

I would prefer Anime version as well, on the countrary to many other series, manga sucks compared to anime in this case.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

WyldRanger

Eva is my second favorite anime of all time...second only to Wolf's Rain, but WR doesn't have much in the way of erotic potential, but NGE certainly does :) So count me in if you're still interested and it doesn't get taken. Favorite characters are Asuka, Shinji, Toji and Hikari to give you some idea.

Haibane

Thanks for both your replies... I'm just out of bed 1st thing in th emorning and getting my quick forum fix! Need shower and brekky - and work :( So I will answer you both tonight; we might have potential for a 3-way game... Do either of you know if an NGE RP has been done before on here?

@ Lithos : Gendo - urhhh, scary man - very scary, I think he's one of the most sinister baddies ever in anime *shudders* although that's not a bad thing. I mean an erotic RP between him and his obvious victim - Rei - has potential.

In the series of course the children are all aged 14, so we will simply HAVE to bend the canon background and make them all 18, we just have to to get around site rules, other than that... I will go think more today and reply later.

Lithos

Might add that Gendo and ritsuko were canon couple as well, that was implied in many scenes throughout the series. Her mother before her as well, when NERV was still geherin, after the incident with Unit01 prototype happened, and after Gendo realized what he would have to become and do.

And gendo has really difficult and hard task to do. He had two options pretty much:

Do nothing and let Seele get control of the Project E and with their coersion, in the end, world

Head Project E himself, become ruthless and powerful enough to fuck both SEELE and Angels, and try to get things end to instrumentality where he can have his old life and wife back, and world as it used to be

He is definitely not a nice man, he is cunning and he is ruthless. He is working for what he (and actually me too) honestly thinks is lesser of the two evils though, and failure results in wiping of both mankind and his own chance of any sort of redemption so I think that he has pretty damn good reason for being ruthless as well (Fuytsuki I think is about only person who actually understands that at all).

Rei... I am of the school of people who actually do think that Gendo saw her as his daughter.. and that it was the reason why her genetic donor was who it was. Not that I cannot give that thinking up for plots sake but that is what I think about their relationship OOC. 
--

Mathim

I'm currently downloading the anime...I wonder if I'll like it? Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Lithos

Lots of things to discover if you watch through all of it. I did not really like it at start, but I became very attached to it later. And it has something new to find out after several times of watching. Cannot say that of many other series.
--

Haibane

Hi Mathim ;)

Someone who watches anime and hasn't seen NGE? I'm shocked! Every anime fan needs to watch NGE at least once. To me its the finest anime series ever made.

NGE needs at least 2 complete viewings I think - the first time you are going, "Um, okay... teen boy pilots mech and saves the world with a couple of babes in his harem... hm, right..." until half way thru, then at about Ep.13 you sit up and go "Whoa! This isn't what I thought it was!" and then it gets MUCH more interesting.

You also need to watch the movie "End of Evangelion" which offers a 'real world' ending as an alternative to the 'metaphysical' ending in the original Eps.25 and 26.

Haibane

Thread moved to "Players Wanted" as I think this will be better if its a group game.

So, here's my rambling junk of ideas so far:

I usually take pre-game planning off to PMs at once, but as three of you have replied we might be able to do a multi-player game, and if we chat here, others might see and want to join.

My original idea was a 1-on-1 at the very end of the last movie where Shinji and Asuka awake on the beach and start afresh, a whole new life; Hideaki Anno doesn’t tell us anything about the world they’ve woken up in so we could create any kind of setting we like and Shinji having gone through all that and learned so much would not be such a total wet. He’d have some self-confidence. Asuka too by that point wouldn’t be such a total cow either. ;)

(Hm, I really dislike the totally wet useless Shinji, in End of Evangelion he was... a complete waste of space. He wouldn't be much fun to RP either I don't think.)

But now that Lithos has mentioned Gendo and Xana the other school kids my mind has gone into overdrive… :P

I guess the ultimate game would be to have every major character represented; to reset the story universe so the kids are not 14 year olds in their last year of middle school but 18 year olds in their last year of high school (Elliquiy site rules and all that) and set the game somewhere in the middle of the series during one of the quiet times between angel attacks and before Asuka goes into clinical depression.

We could slant the story onto a sexual level by having Ritsuko and Gendo agree that the best way to get the pilots synch rates up is to allow them to fully explore their sexualities…

Then just set the characters loose and let them talk, play, fight, and whatever they want in any pairings or three-ings they wish ^_^

NGE has such an awesome potential for relationships, hm? If you’re a fan you’re bound to have read some of the fanfiction…

Shinji/Rei/Asuka (any combo of two of them or all three in a heap)
Hikari/Toji
Misato/Ryoji
Gendo/Rei (ugh, makes my skin crawl, but hey… so what?)
Ritsuko/Gendo
Ritsuko/Maya
Asuka/Ryoji
Shinji/Misato
Ritsuko and any of the kids (some intensive medical testing needs doing…)
Misato and any (or all) of the kids (Gendo moves Rei into Misato’s apartment on the pretext of increasing competition between the three pilots and raising their synch rates) – this is the well known ‘Shinji’s Harem’ scenario :D

Other possibles…

Gendo/Fuyutski (erm…)
Gendo/Ryoji (well, Kaji Ryoji does play the double agent, he could seriously commit to a deep cover for this one…)
Kensuke/any of the girls
Maya/Makoto (or Aoba)
A weekend camping trip with Shinji/Toji/Kensuke/Asuka/Rei/Hikari… hmm, could be fun.

If we make it near the end of the series we get the awesomely yummy Kaworu, hmmm… sexy boy.

Oh, the possibilities… :P

Here’s a full list of characters we just set all the school children to age 18 and set the year our RP is set in to 2019. Everything else can stay the same.

I also especially like the Girlfriend of Steel game which introduces the very cute Mana Kirishima, I think she’s particularly pretty.

Also a useful episode list.

@ Lithos: But if you’d like a 1 on 1 with you playing Gendo, I guess I could play Rei or Ritsuko, Rei being my favourite character in the series. ;)

@ Xana: if you’d like a 1 on 1 I’d be happy to play any of the female schoolkids if you wanted to play one of the boys.

I’d be looking for accurate in-character play in all cases though a Shinji with a weeny bit more backbone would be OK ;)

But with three or more of us it would be cool to do a multi-player game. I could be persuaded to break my own rule and play more than one character if I did this. But... but... need more ladies!

Or we could cook-up an alternative side story of some kind, perhaps one of the alternative universes we see in Shinji’s head in episode 26 which uses the basic characters only with altered personalities in a normal world (i.e. no angels, no SEELE, no NERV, etc.)

Pilots:
First Children: Ayanami Rei
Second Children: Soryu, Asuka Langley
Third Children: Ikari Shinji
Fourth Children: Suzuhara Toji
Fifth Children: Nagisa Kaworu
Sixth (?) Children: Kirishima Mana = maybe

NERV Staff:
Commander Ikari Gendo
Deputy Commander Fuyutsuki Kōzō
Captain (later Major, later Lt. Colonel) Katsuragi Misato
Chief of Science Division Akagi Ritsuko
NERV Special Inspector Kaji Ryoji
First Lieutenant Hyūga Makoto
First Lieutenant Ibuki Maya
First Lieutenant Aoba Shigeru

Others:
Aida Kensuke
Horaki Hikari

Lets start throwing ideas around!

VandalSavage

I write to express my pronounced excitement over the development of this story here on Ellliquiy.

Neon Genesis Evangelion was one of the most unexpected delights and remarkable masterpieces I have enjoyed in my time viewing anime.  I feel it to be the "Twin Peaks" of anime - a series that plays on formulaic themes, advancing a quirky story with distinct characters to a fascinating, surreal, unexpectedly philosophical climax.

Though time constraints refuse me an opportunity to participate myself, I very much look forward to seeing what you all produce.

Lithos

Oh, and Haibane. If you enjoy NGE fanfiction. If you want to do yourself a huge favour and have not allready... read everything written by Random1377. His stuff is very well made and thought provoking. And I think you will quite like some of the themes.
--

Lithos

Other of my eternal favourites in series is none other than Kaji actually. Allmost up there with Gendo :)

--

Lithos

One way that I could see us going with this would make it AU. That would open up huge amount of possibilities and would make the thing a bit more.. plausible. On canon verse, we could start from near the beginning, and let the story go its own way. Perhaps see if things would end up a bit differently. Endless amount of possibilities in EVA verse really so this will be really really hard desicion :(
--

Mathim

I hate when people hype anime like that, it's such bullshit. People did that with Fullmetal Alchemist and I was seriously disappointed in it, it's nowhere near as good as people say. Same with Cowboy Bebop. They're all right, but nothing super-spectacular. And the thing I'm downloading has all the NGE episodes and movies, so I'll be able to see all of it. I'm not getting my hopes up, though. Usually I don't like mech-type stuff.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Lithos

I think it is the very fact of having to look for what other people see in something. If you do not like mecha type stuff, I would say that there is pretty high chance that you do not like EVA since that is one of the parts of its framework. Also it is old series and visuals and sounds are not quite on par with current ones. You will know after a while, either like it or really do not like it, you will find out which it is pretty soon :)

Wether it is series, movie, book, painting, it only feels really good when you discover something about it yourself. Looking for things others say they see in them gets old pretty quick.
--

Haibane

Quote from: Mathim on July 10, 2008, 09:36:08 PM
I hate when people hype anime like that, it's such bullshit.
::) It's their opinion and they're entitled to be enthusiastic.

To me it's not hype, hype is saying something is good before it'e released. You hype up an upcoming film to get viewing figures up.

I just love NGE ^_^ It's an unusually deep story, I've seen it about 12 times now and each time I really do see something new, tiny things that still make me feel fuzzy when I find them...

NGE is one of those series that a person rarely feels 'okay' about, I've found you either love it or hate it. But I didn't make this thread so we could go foaming off about it. I'm pretty sure we won't have enough people interested to do the series story justice and replaying the main story is not what I'm interested in doing. I should confess the main attarction of the game would focus around the 'Shinji Harem' idea: Misato, Shinji, Asuka, Rei - people like Ritsuko and Kaji too possibly, but so far lack of other female players is the issue that might sink the ship and reduce us to a 1 on 1 or something.

Haibane

Still looking for one more player, preferably male. PMs to me please. Thanks!

EDIT: In fact, any number of players could conceivably join, ladies too.

Canuckian

Which character are you still looking for?

Haibane

We did have three of us and were planning a Kaji-Asuka-Shinji triangle, or a Kaji-Misato-Shinji one. We had quite firm plots sorted out for these. I only play females and then one guy dropped out so the remaining player preferred Kaji. So we are looking for a Shinji player. I do not mind if he is a tiny bit more inspired than he is the anime... in fact I find that in the early episodes he seems more confident than he later becomes. We were thinking of setting the story around the time of "Dance Like You Want To...." and "Magma Diver", before it gets very angsty and Asuka loses it and Kaji gets in too deep with his double agenting.

Now, if you don't wish to play Shinji, feel free to suggest another male, though sadly we are limited.

Gendo to me is a no-no, I just find him too... unnerving, freaky, odd. He's one of the finest anime baddies of all time but he truly makes my skin crawl!

Canuckian

Hmm.  Not sure about the pairings you mentioned, so I'll have to think about it.

And I happen to think that Gendo is one of the most interesting characters ever in a show.  He's mean, nasty, cruel, vicious, rotten, and so evil that even the Devil wants nothing to do with him... and yet, he's the best person for his job of saving the planet.  He is by far the right person, in the right place, at the right time.  And this is coming from a guy  who thinks that Eva took a serious nose-dive after episode 18 and how both movies sucked hard :)

Haibane

I don't really wish to discuss opinions on the show... we nearly had the thread hijacked by someone else. I agree with you Gendo is fantastic, I agree with everything you say about him... but he still creeps me out and makes me feel very uncomfortable because he does what he does so well and so singlemindedly. I just could not RP opposite a Gendo character if you paid me ;)

As I said, we'd be wanting to set the game in the early to middle parts of the story before things got very angsty and complicated, while the characters are in a lighter mood generally.

Although, if you have your ideas on an RP story line for two male characters and one female, please let us have your suggestions! I even feel confident I could RP Ayanami fully in character ;)

Canuckian

I'm more of an m/f/f type of guy.  Call me sexist if you want, but it's true :p

And playing Ayanmi shouldn't be hard.  Just be prepaired to use lots of elipses :p

Haibane

Quote from: Canuckian on July 19, 2008, 06:03:23 PM
I'm more of an m/f/f type of guy.  Call me sexist if you want, but it's true :p
The problem is Elliquiy is stuffed full of those... trying to find guys willing to play m/f/m is like looking for an IT person willing to talk about anything but computers ;)

(If you happen to be an IT person and you are able to talk about other subjects you'll know that was a joke... ;) )

Haibane

This game is recruiting again. The original planning session stalled when one key player became too busy, but there are three of us now free again (yay!) and while we did originally decide on a 3-player game I thought I'd open this up to see if anyone else wishes to join.

The game will be set around the time in the series before or during "Dance Like You Want To...." and "Magma Diver", which is the happy, successful buoyant part of the story. It'll be between angel attacks and will focus on training and testing for the pilots.

So far we have:

Haibane = Asuka
Xana = Shinji
Lithos = Kaji

If you're a fan of the series, drop in and let us know if you're interested. Thank you.

Elohim

I might be able to play Rei...