Talislanta! Still without Elvish Types.

Started by MadPanda, September 07, 2010, 11:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Leorobin on September 08, 2010, 10:18:44 PM
Holy....! 511 pages on the 4ed book o.o
The 4th edition only has this book for both the players and the GM section, and I think there are quite a few monsters in it, too. The similar Pathfinder book is almost twice as thick.
The players-only information is much less, and the system info is only a fraction of that fraction, though. Besides, you only need 4th edition as reference material for the setting, skip the system entirely.
The Player's guide for 5th edition is your main source ;).

Quote from: JadeCore on September 08, 2010, 10:45:51 PM
Arhys mentioned this one so I guess I'll take a look.
Welcome, hope you like it around ;D!

Quote from: Drift on September 09, 2010, 12:21:31 AM
Actually the concept I've got in the back of my mind is ironically the same one that jumped into my head when I first started playing online RP.  It's simple really.  "Gypsy Fortune Teller" so let's see what I can do with that.  I did notice that there are gypsy tribes in Silvanus and they're known for having fortune tellers...

And honestly building a character from scratch is not really that much of a heartache in my opinion.  yeah the cooked up characters will always get started quicker but sometimes it's better to get your hands dirty and bother to figure out where all the numbers come from.  I like fortune tellers because you can either go for the 'real deal' or instead be a complete charlatan.  The charlatan can be a lot of fun too.

So I am leaning heavily toward a Saristan woman who is either a witch or some kind of con artist vagabond.  The last time I played a witch of that sort if was an old hag but that character was down a similar bent.
>:) I like Sarista! Interesting customs that they've got...
And if you take a witch, she can be a master of Hexes, which would make her a complete witch :P.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

MadPanda

Sarista or Dhuna Witchwoman or even Zandu...   :-)
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

BenedictWolfe

If we get a good mix of girls and boys, I think I could go for a Xambrian Wizard Hunter.

Drift

How many paths are characters starting with?

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

I figured as much since you were saying we could use the archetypes.  :) I'm psyched.  This looks like fun.  (wanders off to write up a witch)

Thufir Hawat

It's good when the players are psyched, the game tends to start well ;D!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Zelric Miras

A note on grappling, shouldn't it be able to do a subdual attack froma grappling stance? Like choking unconscious without lethal effects?

MadPanda

That's a good question.  I'm inclined to judge that on a case by case basis--my gut feeling is that it's more difficult to pull off than it looks, and it doesn't look easy.

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Leorobin on September 09, 2010, 11:09:55 AM
A note on grappling, shouldn't it be able to do a subdual attack froma grappling stance? Like choking unconscious without lethal effects?
Choking is the most lethal unarmed attack I know of, short of stamping on a downed foe and specialized attacks that are seldom taught and practised ;).
Maybe my knowledge is just lacking, and I'd like some sources. But so far, while it can be used to restrain, I'd be more prone to threat it as a subdual attack that still requires a roll to survive if you fall below 0 HP, possibly with a large bonus.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Zelric Miras

Aactually it is easier to kill someone by choking than rendering him/her unconscious, although it depends on skill since it just depends on how and where you press.

Drift

OK, after following along with the character generation (which is a pain in the butt working from a pdf) I have decided that the quirks are not well explained and their character generation page sucks horribly.  They should have bullet pointed it or given a step by step list.  The approach they took is sloppy and misses some crucial things especially for people new to the system.  I'm also unsurprised that they forgot some stuff in 5th edition given how many typos I've stumbled over but that's neither here nor there, it's still a fun system.

I also noticed that there are some discrepencies in how certain things are named.  The Sarista racial write up says that 'Charlatan' is an available path but that path doesn't exist in the Paths section so I would assume they mean the 'Con Artist' Path.  Also 'Novice Witch' is listed but is actually written up as 'Initiate Witch'.

Anyway, my question about quirks has to do with quirks you gain at character creation.  It doesn't tell me how I buy quirks for a starting character.  I hunted on the character creation page and it doesn't even say you can buy quirks but there are 'allowed' quirks listed in each path beyond the listed freebies and on the quirk page they tell you there are certain quirks you can only 'buy' at character creation.

What it says there is:
QuoteIn addition to racial Quirks, each Path has a list of available Quirks.  Players may opt to exchange some of their allotted skill ranks to acquire any of these Quirks.

OK so I can buy quirks... but it doesn't say how many skill points a quirk is worth.  I get 12 skill points per Path I select.  So am I correct to assume that  I can exchange 1 skill rank for 1 Quirk instead?

MadPanda

(And now you know why I personally prefer 4e...)

Some information is on p271, but the pertinent answer to your question is on p208

Quirks
Each Path also has a list of Quirks commonly encountered in characters from the chosen Path. Players may select a Quirk for their characters from this list by forfeiting 2 skill ranks from those gained from the Path. In other words, if the Path has 12 skill ranks available, a player may opt to take only 10 skill ranks but also gain a Quirk. This cost can be reduced to
only 1 skill rank if the player also selects a negative Quirk. When selecting a negative Quirk, the player may opt for any negative Quirk for which they meet all pre-requisites (i.e. appropriate race, etc.).

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

OH thank you so much.  That was exactly what I was looking for.  I was wondering about how the negative quirks came into play.  I've played a lot of different systems so the whole Quirk/skill thing has a familiar feel but I couldn't find the appropriate wording that told me what to do with it all haha!

MadPanda

Yeah.  That threw me, too, the first time.  Will need to get a hardcopy at some point...

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

Oh hey, here's a question for you.  Between Initiate Witch and Witch Paths there is but one preferred Weapon skill and it's Weapon(Spear) of all things which makes NO sense because the starting equipment suggests a quarterstaff or a silver dagger.  Is there a mistake there maybe?

MadPanda

Almost certainly.  I'd be okay with you changing it...and if Mister GM says it's okay, it's okay.   ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

I don't have much experience using game systems like this for online play :) what is the best way for me to post the character?  I've been playing with a spreadsheet but will eventually have to put it where it can be seen.  Do you have a template I can use or is there a plan for that yet? 

I could make a template otherwise... am pretty good with bbcodes and whatnot, but I wanted to know what you guys had in mind.

MadPanda

Hold that thought whilst my partner in crime and I decide where we're putting this and how we want stuff built.   :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

ReijiTabibito

Hmmmm, this sounds...interesting.  I'm not gonna commit now, but I'll have a looksee at the rules, and let you know.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Leorobin on September 09, 2010, 01:00:36 PM
Aactually it is easier to kill someone by choking than rendering him/her unconscious, although it depends on skill since it just depends on how and where you press.
That was my point, indeed ;). It is way too easy to kill with a choke to consider it simple subdual damage.
Of course, it is also used for restraint, so I offered a solution that allows for both outcomes, if you have the skill.

Quote from: Drift on September 09, 2010, 04:39:07 PM
Oh hey, here's a question for you.  Between Initiate Witch and Witch Paths there is but one preferred Weapon skill and it's Weapon(Spear) of all things which makes NO sense because the starting equipment suggests a quarterstaff or a silver dagger.  Is there a mistake there maybe?
I'd just say that you can use a quatterstaff with a Spear skill, and it might be useful as a ceremonial weapon ;).
Indeed, they say some of the best quatterstaff schools have been adapted by the spear.

Okay, that aside, as MP said, take whichever of these skill you wish. At worst, you are going to have a small penalty for using the "wrong" weapon, and maybe not even that, depending on the construction of the specific weapon.
Personally, I'd be fine even if you wanted to take Dagger instead of Spear ;).

Quote from: MadPanda on September 09, 2010, 06:00:37 PM
Hold that thought whilst my partner and crime and I decide where we're putting this and how we want stuff built.   :-)
Message sent ;).
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

Quote from: Drift on September 09, 2010, 05:24:31 PM
I don't have much experience using game systems like this for online play :) what is the best way for me to post the character?  I've been playing with a spreadsheet but will eventually have to put it where it can be seen.  Do you have a template I can use or is there a plan for that yet? 

I could make a template otherwise... am pretty good with bbcodes and whatnot, but I wanted to know what you guys had in mind.

Tell you what!  Toy around with a template, and we can have everyone use that.   :-)  'Cause I'm hopeless with that stuff, and a straight list would be dull.

Game will be going in NC-Exotic-System Small Games if and when we finally think of a good title.  I'll add links when we're up and running, which should be later today.

In Memory of Bishrook

Zelric Miras

There are char sheets in the Talislanta page: Here

Drift

Thanks Leo. :) I think the challenge is making it presentable in the forums... I'll see what I can do.  I might get around to it tonight or tomorrow... (actually tomorrow is my birthday) but I may find some online time.

MadPanda

Happy B-day, then, and take your time!  The mentat and I will take at least that long to come up with a good title.  (Always the tough part for me.)

In Memory of Bishrook