Talislanta! Still without Elvish Types.

Started by MadPanda, September 07, 2010, 11:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arhys

And I am downloading them tonight, got my new computer yesterday so have been getting it set up, I am back on track.  I am going away next week for a week, I should have a profile easily before I leave *bops Thufir for the snickering he is no doubt doing over the "easily" part of what I said*. 

Thufir Hawat

Thufir Hawat steps back avoiding Arhys' bop.
I wasn't snickering, actually :P. We already said the system is not a though one!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Zelric Miras

Finished the system and I think I can handle with it...I have yet to choose an archetype though.

MadPanda

Okay, after mulling over titles in between trying to put down a Very Large Flaming Bat last night in my tabletop group's 4e game, I thought of a somewhat silly title...and we're up.

Char-gen and Cast thread is here:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=82053.0

OOC is here.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=82054.0

In-game thread, which is in progress and is not yet open for business, can be found here.  Apologies to all and sundry if the humor is not readily apparent, but I took a page from my dear, dear Uncle Haghut...
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=82056.0
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

Thanks Panda. :)

I have been pondering the character gen template thing and my main concern is that the character sheet contains so much data and it's not really easy to manage in the linear forum format.  I was going to propose making a wiki template for it instead and maybe letting people post a shortened blurb about their character in the character thread with a link to the full wiki character sheet.  Anyone can edit in the wiki so it should be possible to help people with formatting problems and managing equipment/experience and so forth.

The wiki provides more advanced formatting options which would make it easier to split the page vertically rather than having to nest a million tables where bbcode tags can get lost.

I just figured I'd make the suggestion.  That way people can propose a character 'type' maybe say about about appearance, personality (maybe even what archetype they intend to use) of the profile up front which will be easier for people unfamiliar with the system to grasp if they're perusing for a game to join and we could also manage the record-keeping needed for a rules-based game.

Then the GM can, on his personal page, include links to all the character sheets so he can also look over them as necessary.

I'm pretty sure we all have access to the wiki, but I'm not sure if we can make our own templates so I'd have to poke around some more.

MadPanda

Please, call me MP.   :-)  There are at least four other Pandas hereabouts, but I'm the only one who's Mad (as in Hatter).

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

I like mad hatters. ;) and no problemo MP

I'm still sorting out the wiki question.  I noticed some folks will use external links for character sheets anyway... it's easier when managing things like XP.  I tend to feel awkward at the idea of updating a character sheet that's in a forum thread (not that there's anything wrong with it) but it seems more appropriate if it has its own page.

I was going to suggest something like this for a character summary or I guess you could think of it as a character proposal in the thread.  It omits the numbers which I figured would be better presented in tables on its own page...  (Or I could be totally wrong... needs further input before I'd tell others to go for it)  And I'm playing in the wiki right now which is a... YAY mediawiki wiki so I know how to muck with it.  But it also makes it easier for a novice to present a character idea and get help making a sheet to game with.  I was just dreading the idea of scrolling through all those skill, spell and equipment lists for everyone that wants to play.

Also I'm quite willing to help support people trying to learn to use the wiki if they're not used to it.  It's a great tool.  I'm glad Elliquiy has one.

Character Summary

[size=18pt]{Character Name}[/size]

[table]
[tr][td][b]Race/Culture:[/b] {Your Character's race}[/td]  [td][b]Paths:[/b] {Your character's Paths}

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][b]Gender:[/b] {Male/Female/Whatever}[/td]  [td][b]Age:[/b] {How old is your character?}[/td] 

[td][b]Height:[/b] {obvious}[/td] [td][b]Weight:[/b] {obvious}[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][b]Hair:[/b] {Hair color}[/td]  [td][b]Eyes:[/b] {Eye Color}[/td]  [td][b]Skin:[/b] {Skin Color}

[/td][/tr]
[/table]
[b]Appearance:[/b] {Any additional notes you want to make about the character's appearance, distinctive markings or how they dress or style their hair.}
[b]Personality:[/b] {And any notes you want to make about habits or behaviors your character has, especially if they have quirks that affect them socially.
[b]Background:[/b] {History of the character and how they came to be here}

[b]Order/Magical Modes[/b]:
[b]Weapon Skills[/b]:
[b]Additional Notes[/b]:

Thufir Hawat

I'd rather avoid external links. For one thing, I don't even open the external links ;).
But I like that format, and I think the same table with the numbers might work well.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Drift

at least let me do a mock up of what I mean in the wiki... we could still put something in the forum link... I just think it'll be easier to keep things neat if it was in the wiki

I used to work as a software engineer... is it showing? :P

MadPanda

Looks okay to me at first blush, but then I am not a code jockey.   :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Drift on September 11, 2010, 02:49:44 PM
at least let me do a mock up of what I mean in the wiki... we could still put something in the forum link... I just think it'll be easier to keep things neat if it was in the wiki

I used to work as a software engineer... is it showing? :P
It is showing, but in a good way ;).
Remember, MP opened a separate thread for the character sheets, so hopefully, it would be neat enough.
Of course, you can always play with the wiki, but personally, I'm most likely to use the forum version :D!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Rozel

heh.. I am game for this.. (Newby newb) Though I am reading over things right now.. I really would like to be a Neophyte
Magician/Pickpocket type.. But can change if that is desired.  (But that would be my prefs.)

:D

When I lay my head on the pillow at night, I can say I was a decent person today. That's when I feel beautiful.
My Ons and Offs: ~♠Funs, Not so Funs and Maybes with Roz♠~
Musings and Thoughts: 𓆩*𓆪Available Stories𓆩*𓆪
Sorry: ~~A/A's~~
{Slow return, its been a while. }

Thufir Hawat

Welcome to the party, Rozel! Your character sounds like another Cymrillian, just a rogue-wizard >:)!
Yeah, I'm the one playing a Cymrillian wizard-swordsman :P.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

bluemoon

~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Rozel

:P  Thanks! Yeah, and I am thinking on her Order.. would so fall in line with Mysticism, as that is what I am used to when I do play this kind of gal.. Rogue, in some way definitely. Fits well with my own personality as well. he he.. Though strangely she would have certain loyalties..

EDIT: Wizardry/Mysticism... decisions, decisions... *thinks*

When I lay my head on the pillow at night, I can say I was a decent person today. That's when I feel beautiful.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: bluemoon on September 14, 2010, 10:19:33 AM
ok...possibly for now >__> hi

Glad to see you, bluemoon :D!

Quote from: Rozel on September 14, 2010, 10:33:49 AM
:P  Thanks! Yeah, and I am thinking on her Order.. would so fall in line with Mysticism, as that is what I am used to when I do play this kind of gal.. Rogue, in some way definitely. Fits well with my own personality as well. he he.. Though strangely she would have certain loyalties..
That's a good thing, a rogue with no loyalties is known as "an unreliable person" :P.
Which can even sound interesting until you think about the other characters - why would they associate with such a person ;D?
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Rozel

Heh, yeah. I have to agree with that, and that was the angle I took with it. But outside that, I would say the gloves were off unless a new bond was created.. Oh, the possibilities of this.    >:)

Zelric Miras

How much can we make the background influence the char attributes and skills?

While reading, (only 160 more pages to go!), I've been listing things that a travelling character might have gotten involved into with the different races as well as things he/she might have acquired. Things like purchasing/taming a pet or getting involved with other races that might allow for knowledge on certain fields.  Maybe I can explain myself better:

The first that came to my mind, which I have somewhat discarded, is my char being an scholar with some training that was taken in a trip of study and mingling with other races. Depending on the circumstances, they would have stayed from a few days to a year where they went. During that time they would interact and get involved in everyday life of the races that were willing to allow them to stay, either from goodwill or reward. Barring racial skills and attributes, I thought he could have picked up a thing or two. How viable and/or limited is this?

I'll be back later on, I have classes to attend to.

MadPanda

Follow the paths and see what you get!  Much depends on how you spend your skill points, as well as which quirks you decide to purchase (if any).

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

Hi again.  I spent an inordinate amount of time on my sheet.  Gonna take a break from it and probably work on it some more with a fresh mind later this week.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Drift on September 14, 2010, 10:12:19 PM
Hi again.  I spent an inordinate amount of time on my sheet.  Gonna take a break from it and probably work on it some more with a fresh mind later this week.
Relax and have fun, we're going to welcome you when you come back to it!

Quote from: Rozel on September 14, 2010, 10:56:13 AM
Heh, yeah. I have to agree with that, and that was the angle I took with it. But outside that, I would say the gloves were off unless a new bond was created.. Oh, the possibilities of this.    >:)
You are welcome to explore said possibilities >:)! I would even say the heretic idea that this is the point of the game and not learning Mandaquan for your Thrall... ;D
I would advise in favour of having at least the beginning of a bond already formed with some other characters, though ;).

Quote from: Leorobin on September 14, 2010, 05:44:14 PM
How much can we make the background influence the char attributes and skills?

How viable and/or limited is this?
Basically, MadPanda answered it. I'm just going to expand on my own approach.
If you want to pull the "trained in distant lands" angle, go ahead, tell us what you feel your character should have. After all, the GMs can allow you to have a Quirk or skill from another race, if your background calls for it.
Of course, it's not going to be free, and some things simply cannot be learned, so we are going to decide on a case-by-case basis.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Zelric Miras

Oh thanks....be prepared to read a background....as soon as I read another 140 or so pages. :P That might be by friday. ^^; I have an exam on saturday.

Thufir Hawat

Do I have to set upper limits for the backgrounds now ;D?
Actually, I believe you not to write a fanfic before the game starts, so no rules are necessary ;).
Good luck on your exam!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Zelric Miras

No it won't be a fanfic, I'll try to keep it as short as possible so it won't take more than a few hours minutes to read. ^^

Thufir Hawat

Fine, I count on your promise ;).
Also, I posted a rough draft of my character here, if anyone wonders what this was. Of course, I already removed it, and will post the final variant, once I pick between a Zandir Certamente, Cymrillian swordsmage, and a Thaecian Musician-wizard.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!