Talislanta! Still without Elvish Types.

Started by MadPanda, September 07, 2010, 11:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

Thufir Hawat and I have put our heads together and we're looking for a few brave souls willing to brave a close encounter with the Rasputin of RPGs, the venerable Talislanta.

Rules are available for free from talislanta dot com.  We'll be using the fifth edition, since it allows more customizable character generation than the archetypical templates of previous editions.

We'll also be using the GM Emulator from Mythic from time to time, so not even we know what's going to happen next!

Our plans at this moment are to start in the Western Lands, where the party never ends (so long as you're in Zandu or among the Sarisa).
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

I must add that it's likely to be a sandbox game, meaning that there would be plot, but you decide if it concerns you. Whatever you do, is going to influence the plot, hopefully in a direction that would be fun for your characters ;D!

You might have to create more than one character and roleplay them in turns. We are currently discussing the pro and cons of troupe-style play with MP. For one thing, it allows you access to very different social groups >:)!

Also, for those that want to save time on reading the system, you can use a ready-made character template and just customize it ;).
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Arhys

BenedictWolfe

I've downloaded all the 5th ed material and I might possibly be interested.

MadPanda

I strongly suggest downloading the 4th Ed as well, because every so often in the 5th Ed you will find references to sidebars that (for some reason) weren't carried over!

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: MadPanda on September 08, 2010, 10:07:48 AM
I strongly suggest downloading the 4th Ed as well, because every so often in the 5th Ed you will find references to sidebars that (for some reason) weren't carried over!
I think he only needs the core book, though. And these are not numerous, so even this is not obligatory.
Some of the "missing" sidebars are just too fun to miss, though.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

Yep.  4e for reference only...not absolutely necessary.  I really don't know how they managed to goof like that, unless they pulled a Sanguine.

(Sanguine Productions is the company that does Ironclaw and Jadeclaw, among other good furry games.  When they did Jadeclaw, though, they simply copy and pasted a lot of text from Ironclaw and so included a lot of material that just doesn't make sense in the Asian-themed setting.  Worse, they didn't correct it for the 'reprint'.  I say this as a fan of the game--they fell down and went boom, real hard.)

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

Hey all I'm newly accepted to E and looking for a few places to play.  This looks sort of interesting to me but usually play freeform online.  I'd like to give it a try though and will take the time to read through it.

MadPanda

Hi, Drift.

Just to warn you, there's a LOT of material to get through--not because of system (Tal is pretty simple, mechanically) but because of the setting!  It's rich, it's varied, and it's pretty cool in an old-school fantasy sort of way.  So please feel free to ask questions, and we'll help you as much as we can.  :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Drift on September 08, 2010, 03:23:47 PM
Hey all I'm newly accepted to E and looking for a few places to play.  This looks sort of interesting to me but usually play freeform online.  I'd like to give it a try though and will take the time to read through it.
The system is a good one, since it's not complicated. Wizards are a bit harder, but not much, and I see you are not new to systems ;).
Either way, welcome aboard and if you've got any questions, just ask me or MP >:)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Zelric Miras

It sounds interesting, what books do you advise me to get?

MadPanda

5e Player's Guide.
Maybe 4e core rulebook for reference.

That's pretty much all you'll need.

In Memory of Bishrook

Zelric Miras

Ok, thanks. I'll try to read them soon. *goes to download*

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

Reading rules isn't the problem, retention is.  I have the same problem with D&D.  I'll remember bits and pieces, something vague but it isn't until I play it that I start to really settle into it.  So I probably will take advantage of the 'ask for help' option when it's an issue. :)

I'm always shopping around for systems.  I'd probably run tabletop games more if I didn't have this problem with retaining the rules in my skull and not having to look them up all the time.  Leo's one of my mentor's too so I can pester him after he's read it all *snirckles*

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Drift on September 08, 2010, 07:35:43 PM
Reading rules isn't the problem, retention is.  I have the same problem with D&D.  I'll remember bits and pieces, something vague but it isn't until I play it that I start to really settle into it.  So I probably will take advantage of the 'ask for help' option when it's an issue. :)

Actually, it's quite simple for anyone who managed to grasp D&D ;). Check the part with the Success table, that's almost all that you need to retain! Well, that, and your character sheet, but you can check that one :P.

Whatever action you are doing, you roll on the Success table!

That's it, the rest is describing what your character is doing, which I tend to call "roleplaying" ;D!

As a bonus, once we tell you the penalty, you would even know if you succeeded or failed without the need for a GM's intervention. I will discuss with MP whether to allow the players to describe their own successes and failures.

(Of course, the harder the action you described, the greater the penalty would be. Usually, it's some defensive skill of the character that opposes you. A good, unexpected idea might well make the penalty lighter, though, at GM's discretion, so don't be afraid to swing from chandeliers!)

Quote from: Drift on September 08, 2010, 07:35:43 PM
I'm always shopping around for systems.  I'd probably run tabletop games more if I didn't have this problem with retaining the rules in my skull and not having to look them up all the time.  Leo's one of my mentor's too so I can pester him after he's read it all *snirckles*
Talislanta has one of the systems that you can fit on less than one page. Well, you might need a few more pages for magical schools, but still, all my system reference materials are taking less than 10 pages ;D!

By the way, what kind of character would you like to play?

I guess you still have to read the setting, and it's a setting that really allows you to run wild. My point is, use the setting material as inspiration, don't allow it to restrict you!
If you happen to want something that's not mentioned in the setting, ask us, and we'll try to fit it somewhere, somehow ;).
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Drift

I'm not sure yet... was reading the setting material to kind of help me fish for inspiration.  I generally prefer to make a new character for a new game rather than patch up an old one (unless I'm feeling particularly nostalgic).  At the moment I'm not even sure if I'd play a male or female, though I'm leaning toward female at the moment.  What sort of character were you going to play?

I think I'll have a better notion after I read through the character generation rules.

Thufir Hawat

Well, I'm almost guaranteed to play a Cymrillian swordsmage when I'm not GMing. Of course, a Zandir magical duellist might be fun as well, or a Kang renegade :P.
And when I am GMing, whatever NPCs you encounter are mine to run anyway >:)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Drift

Oh don't worry you can have the NPCs.  I have no intention of GMing anything here lol.  It's just me and my little PC.  The question is... do I go for a silly sterotype, something absurd, or something more original... *ponder* I need to go for a bit.  I'll read up some more later... maybe then I will have a character idea.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Drift on September 08, 2010, 08:42:06 PM
Oh don't worry you can have the NPCs.  I have no intention of GMing anything here lol. 
Actually, I'd gladly give them away, if you ask nicely >:)!

Quote from: Drift on September 08, 2010, 08:42:06 PM
It's just me and my little PC.  The question is... do I go for a silly sterotype, something absurd, or something more original... *ponder* I need to go for a bit.  I'll read up some more later... maybe then I will have a character idea.
If I am allowed a say in this, stereotypes don't have to be silly, and I far prefer a well-played one over an absurd character.
Of course, if you have an original idea that you like, go ahead!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

Quote from: Drift on September 08, 2010, 08:11:59 PM
I'm not sure yet... was reading the setting material to kind of help me fish for inspiration.  I generally prefer to make a new character for a new game rather than patch up an old one (unless I'm feeling particularly nostalgic).  At the moment I'm not even sure if I'd play a male or female, though I'm leaning toward female at the moment.  What sort of character were you going to play?

I think I'll have a better notion after I read through the character generation rules.

and if all else fails, there are some archetypes in there that will let you jump in without having to do any heavy lifting!   ;D

What sort of character do you usually play?  General idea, here, not specifics...I mean, if you don't like to play Magic Users, it wouldn't do to suggest, say, most Cymrillians, and if you don't like Fighters, you need to keep away from Thralls (nice though the tattoos are, they're fighters.  All of them) and Danuvian Swordswomen.  Not into poetry?  Don't play a Muse.

Thufir's run a swordmage past me, and my character is likely to be a bit of an oddball--a Rajan tomboy masquerading as an Arimite knife-fighter, courtesy of a Djaffir face mask.

In Memory of Bishrook

Zelric Miras

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

JadeCore

Arhys mentioned this one so I guess I'll take a look.

Drift

Oh I play lots and lots of characters in freeform games... I'm often voicing a million NPCs too so the problem is picking just one for this game. :)

Actually the concept I've got in the back of my mind is ironically the same one that jumped into my head when I first started playing online RP.  It's simple really.  "Gypsy Fortune Teller" so let's see what I can do with that.  I did notice that there are gypsy tribes in Silvanus and they're known for having fortune tellers...

And honestly building a character from scratch is not really that much of a heartache in my opinion.  yeah the cooked up characters will always get started quicker but sometimes it's better to get your hands dirty and bother to figure out where all the numbers come from.  I like fortune tellers because you can either go for the 'real deal' or instead be a complete charlatan.  The charlatan can be a lot of fun too.

So I am leaning heavily toward a Saristan woman who is either a witch or some kind of con artist vagabond.  The last time I played a witch of that sort if was an old hag but that character was down a similar bent.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Leorobin on September 08, 2010, 10:18:44 PM
Holy....! 511 pages on the 4ed book o.o
The 4th edition only has this book for both the players and the GM section, and I think there are quite a few monsters in it, too. The similar Pathfinder book is almost twice as thick.
The players-only information is much less, and the system info is only a fraction of that fraction, though. Besides, you only need 4th edition as reference material for the setting, skip the system entirely.
The Player's guide for 5th edition is your main source ;).

Quote from: JadeCore on September 08, 2010, 10:45:51 PM
Arhys mentioned this one so I guess I'll take a look.
Welcome, hope you like it around ;D!

Quote from: Drift on September 09, 2010, 12:21:31 AM
Actually the concept I've got in the back of my mind is ironically the same one that jumped into my head when I first started playing online RP.  It's simple really.  "Gypsy Fortune Teller" so let's see what I can do with that.  I did notice that there are gypsy tribes in Silvanus and they're known for having fortune tellers...

And honestly building a character from scratch is not really that much of a heartache in my opinion.  yeah the cooked up characters will always get started quicker but sometimes it's better to get your hands dirty and bother to figure out where all the numbers come from.  I like fortune tellers because you can either go for the 'real deal' or instead be a complete charlatan.  The charlatan can be a lot of fun too.

So I am leaning heavily toward a Saristan woman who is either a witch or some kind of con artist vagabond.  The last time I played a witch of that sort if was an old hag but that character was down a similar bent.
>:) I like Sarista! Interesting customs that they've got...
And if you take a witch, she can be a master of Hexes, which would make her a complete witch :P.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

Sarista or Dhuna Witchwoman or even Zandu...   :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

BenedictWolfe

If we get a good mix of girls and boys, I think I could go for a Xambrian Wizard Hunter.

Drift

How many paths are characters starting with?

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

I figured as much since you were saying we could use the archetypes.  :) I'm psyched.  This looks like fun.  (wanders off to write up a witch)

Thufir Hawat

It's good when the players are psyched, the game tends to start well ;D!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Zelric Miras

A note on grappling, shouldn't it be able to do a subdual attack froma grappling stance? Like choking unconscious without lethal effects?

MadPanda

That's a good question.  I'm inclined to judge that on a case by case basis--my gut feeling is that it's more difficult to pull off than it looks, and it doesn't look easy.

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Leorobin on September 09, 2010, 11:09:55 AM
A note on grappling, shouldn't it be able to do a subdual attack froma grappling stance? Like choking unconscious without lethal effects?
Choking is the most lethal unarmed attack I know of, short of stamping on a downed foe and specialized attacks that are seldom taught and practised ;).
Maybe my knowledge is just lacking, and I'd like some sources. But so far, while it can be used to restrain, I'd be more prone to threat it as a subdual attack that still requires a roll to survive if you fall below 0 HP, possibly with a large bonus.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Zelric Miras

Aactually it is easier to kill someone by choking than rendering him/her unconscious, although it depends on skill since it just depends on how and where you press.

Drift

OK, after following along with the character generation (which is a pain in the butt working from a pdf) I have decided that the quirks are not well explained and their character generation page sucks horribly.  They should have bullet pointed it or given a step by step list.  The approach they took is sloppy and misses some crucial things especially for people new to the system.  I'm also unsurprised that they forgot some stuff in 5th edition given how many typos I've stumbled over but that's neither here nor there, it's still a fun system.

I also noticed that there are some discrepencies in how certain things are named.  The Sarista racial write up says that 'Charlatan' is an available path but that path doesn't exist in the Paths section so I would assume they mean the 'Con Artist' Path.  Also 'Novice Witch' is listed but is actually written up as 'Initiate Witch'.

Anyway, my question about quirks has to do with quirks you gain at character creation.  It doesn't tell me how I buy quirks for a starting character.  I hunted on the character creation page and it doesn't even say you can buy quirks but there are 'allowed' quirks listed in each path beyond the listed freebies and on the quirk page they tell you there are certain quirks you can only 'buy' at character creation.

What it says there is:
QuoteIn addition to racial Quirks, each Path has a list of available Quirks.  Players may opt to exchange some of their allotted skill ranks to acquire any of these Quirks.

OK so I can buy quirks... but it doesn't say how many skill points a quirk is worth.  I get 12 skill points per Path I select.  So am I correct to assume that  I can exchange 1 skill rank for 1 Quirk instead?

MadPanda

(And now you know why I personally prefer 4e...)

Some information is on p271, but the pertinent answer to your question is on p208

Quirks
Each Path also has a list of Quirks commonly encountered in characters from the chosen Path. Players may select a Quirk for their characters from this list by forfeiting 2 skill ranks from those gained from the Path. In other words, if the Path has 12 skill ranks available, a player may opt to take only 10 skill ranks but also gain a Quirk. This cost can be reduced to
only 1 skill rank if the player also selects a negative Quirk. When selecting a negative Quirk, the player may opt for any negative Quirk for which they meet all pre-requisites (i.e. appropriate race, etc.).

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

OH thank you so much.  That was exactly what I was looking for.  I was wondering about how the negative quirks came into play.  I've played a lot of different systems so the whole Quirk/skill thing has a familiar feel but I couldn't find the appropriate wording that told me what to do with it all haha!

MadPanda

Yeah.  That threw me, too, the first time.  Will need to get a hardcopy at some point...

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

Oh hey, here's a question for you.  Between Initiate Witch and Witch Paths there is but one preferred Weapon skill and it's Weapon(Spear) of all things which makes NO sense because the starting equipment suggests a quarterstaff or a silver dagger.  Is there a mistake there maybe?

MadPanda

Almost certainly.  I'd be okay with you changing it...and if Mister GM says it's okay, it's okay.   ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

I don't have much experience using game systems like this for online play :) what is the best way for me to post the character?  I've been playing with a spreadsheet but will eventually have to put it where it can be seen.  Do you have a template I can use or is there a plan for that yet? 

I could make a template otherwise... am pretty good with bbcodes and whatnot, but I wanted to know what you guys had in mind.

MadPanda

Hold that thought whilst my partner in crime and I decide where we're putting this and how we want stuff built.   :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

ReijiTabibito

Hmmmm, this sounds...interesting.  I'm not gonna commit now, but I'll have a looksee at the rules, and let you know.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Leorobin on September 09, 2010, 01:00:36 PM
Aactually it is easier to kill someone by choking than rendering him/her unconscious, although it depends on skill since it just depends on how and where you press.
That was my point, indeed ;). It is way too easy to kill with a choke to consider it simple subdual damage.
Of course, it is also used for restraint, so I offered a solution that allows for both outcomes, if you have the skill.

Quote from: Drift on September 09, 2010, 04:39:07 PM
Oh hey, here's a question for you.  Between Initiate Witch and Witch Paths there is but one preferred Weapon skill and it's Weapon(Spear) of all things which makes NO sense because the starting equipment suggests a quarterstaff or a silver dagger.  Is there a mistake there maybe?
I'd just say that you can use a quatterstaff with a Spear skill, and it might be useful as a ceremonial weapon ;).
Indeed, they say some of the best quatterstaff schools have been adapted by the spear.

Okay, that aside, as MP said, take whichever of these skill you wish. At worst, you are going to have a small penalty for using the "wrong" weapon, and maybe not even that, depending on the construction of the specific weapon.
Personally, I'd be fine even if you wanted to take Dagger instead of Spear ;).

Quote from: MadPanda on September 09, 2010, 06:00:37 PM
Hold that thought whilst my partner and crime and I decide where we're putting this and how we want stuff built.   :-)
Message sent ;).
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

Quote from: Drift on September 09, 2010, 05:24:31 PM
I don't have much experience using game systems like this for online play :) what is the best way for me to post the character?  I've been playing with a spreadsheet but will eventually have to put it where it can be seen.  Do you have a template I can use or is there a plan for that yet? 

I could make a template otherwise... am pretty good with bbcodes and whatnot, but I wanted to know what you guys had in mind.

Tell you what!  Toy around with a template, and we can have everyone use that.   :-)  'Cause I'm hopeless with that stuff, and a straight list would be dull.

Game will be going in NC-Exotic-System Small Games if and when we finally think of a good title.  I'll add links when we're up and running, which should be later today.

In Memory of Bishrook

Zelric Miras

There are char sheets in the Talislanta page: Here

Drift

Thanks Leo. :) I think the challenge is making it presentable in the forums... I'll see what I can do.  I might get around to it tonight or tomorrow... (actually tomorrow is my birthday) but I may find some online time.

MadPanda

Happy B-day, then, and take your time!  The mentat and I will take at least that long to come up with a good title.  (Always the tough part for me.)

In Memory of Bishrook

Arhys

And I am downloading them tonight, got my new computer yesterday so have been getting it set up, I am back on track.  I am going away next week for a week, I should have a profile easily before I leave *bops Thufir for the snickering he is no doubt doing over the "easily" part of what I said*. 

Thufir Hawat

Thufir Hawat steps back avoiding Arhys' bop.
I wasn't snickering, actually :P. We already said the system is not a though one!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Zelric Miras

Finished the system and I think I can handle with it...I have yet to choose an archetype though.

MadPanda

Okay, after mulling over titles in between trying to put down a Very Large Flaming Bat last night in my tabletop group's 4e game, I thought of a somewhat silly title...and we're up.

Char-gen and Cast thread is here:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=82053.0

OOC is here.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=82054.0

In-game thread, which is in progress and is not yet open for business, can be found here.  Apologies to all and sundry if the humor is not readily apparent, but I took a page from my dear, dear Uncle Haghut...
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=82056.0

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

Thanks Panda. :)

I have been pondering the character gen template thing and my main concern is that the character sheet contains so much data and it's not really easy to manage in the linear forum format.  I was going to propose making a wiki template for it instead and maybe letting people post a shortened blurb about their character in the character thread with a link to the full wiki character sheet.  Anyone can edit in the wiki so it should be possible to help people with formatting problems and managing equipment/experience and so forth.

The wiki provides more advanced formatting options which would make it easier to split the page vertically rather than having to nest a million tables where bbcode tags can get lost.

I just figured I'd make the suggestion.  That way people can propose a character 'type' maybe say about about appearance, personality (maybe even what archetype they intend to use) of the profile up front which will be easier for people unfamiliar with the system to grasp if they're perusing for a game to join and we could also manage the record-keeping needed for a rules-based game.

Then the GM can, on his personal page, include links to all the character sheets so he can also look over them as necessary.

I'm pretty sure we all have access to the wiki, but I'm not sure if we can make our own templates so I'd have to poke around some more.

MadPanda

Please, call me MP.   :-)  There are at least four other Pandas hereabouts, but I'm the only one who's Mad (as in Hatter).

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

I like mad hatters. ;) and no problemo MP

I'm still sorting out the wiki question.  I noticed some folks will use external links for character sheets anyway... it's easier when managing things like XP.  I tend to feel awkward at the idea of updating a character sheet that's in a forum thread (not that there's anything wrong with it) but it seems more appropriate if it has its own page.

I was going to suggest something like this for a character summary or I guess you could think of it as a character proposal in the thread.  It omits the numbers which I figured would be better presented in tables on its own page...  (Or I could be totally wrong... needs further input before I'd tell others to go for it)  And I'm playing in the wiki right now which is a... YAY mediawiki wiki so I know how to muck with it.  But it also makes it easier for a novice to present a character idea and get help making a sheet to game with.  I was just dreading the idea of scrolling through all those skill, spell and equipment lists for everyone that wants to play.

Also I'm quite willing to help support people trying to learn to use the wiki if they're not used to it.  It's a great tool.  I'm glad Elliquiy has one.

Character Summary

[size=18pt]{Character Name}[/size]

[table]
[tr][td][b]Race/Culture:[/b] {Your Character's race}[/td]  [td][b]Paths:[/b] {Your character's Paths}

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][b]Gender:[/b] {Male/Female/Whatever}[/td]  [td][b]Age:[/b] {How old is your character?}[/td] 

[td][b]Height:[/b] {obvious}[/td] [td][b]Weight:[/b] {obvious}[/td][/tr]

[tr][td][b]Hair:[/b] {Hair color}[/td]  [td][b]Eyes:[/b] {Eye Color}[/td]  [td][b]Skin:[/b] {Skin Color}

[/td][/tr]
[/table]
[b]Appearance:[/b] {Any additional notes you want to make about the character's appearance, distinctive markings or how they dress or style their hair.}
[b]Personality:[/b] {And any notes you want to make about habits or behaviors your character has, especially if they have quirks that affect them socially.
[b]Background:[/b] {History of the character and how they came to be here}

[b]Order/Magical Modes[/b]:
[b]Weapon Skills[/b]:
[b]Additional Notes[/b]:

Thufir Hawat

I'd rather avoid external links. For one thing, I don't even open the external links ;).
But I like that format, and I think the same table with the numbers might work well.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Drift

at least let me do a mock up of what I mean in the wiki... we could still put something in the forum link... I just think it'll be easier to keep things neat if it was in the wiki

I used to work as a software engineer... is it showing? :P

MadPanda

Looks okay to me at first blush, but then I am not a code jockey.   :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Drift on September 11, 2010, 02:49:44 PM
at least let me do a mock up of what I mean in the wiki... we could still put something in the forum link... I just think it'll be easier to keep things neat if it was in the wiki

I used to work as a software engineer... is it showing? :P
It is showing, but in a good way ;).
Remember, MP opened a separate thread for the character sheets, so hopefully, it would be neat enough.
Of course, you can always play with the wiki, but personally, I'm most likely to use the forum version :D!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Rozel

heh.. I am game for this.. (Newby newb) Though I am reading over things right now.. I really would like to be a Neophyte
Magician/Pickpocket type.. But can change if that is desired.  (But that would be my prefs.)

:D

When I lay my head on the pillow at night, I can say I was a decent person today. That's when I feel beautiful.
My Ons and Offs: ~♠Funs, Not so Funs and Maybes with Roz♠~
Musings and Thoughts: 𓆩*𓆪Available Stories𓆩*𓆪
Sorry: ~~A/A's~~
{Slow return, its been a while. }

Thufir Hawat

Welcome to the party, Rozel! Your character sounds like another Cymrillian, just a rogue-wizard >:)!
Yeah, I'm the one playing a Cymrillian wizard-swordsman :P.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

bluemoon

~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Rozel

:P  Thanks! Yeah, and I am thinking on her Order.. would so fall in line with Mysticism, as that is what I am used to when I do play this kind of gal.. Rogue, in some way definitely. Fits well with my own personality as well. he he.. Though strangely she would have certain loyalties..

EDIT: Wizardry/Mysticism... decisions, decisions... *thinks*

When I lay my head on the pillow at night, I can say I was a decent person today. That's when I feel beautiful.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: bluemoon on September 14, 2010, 10:19:33 AM
ok...possibly for now >__> hi

Glad to see you, bluemoon :D!

Quote from: Rozel on September 14, 2010, 10:33:49 AM
:P  Thanks! Yeah, and I am thinking on her Order.. would so fall in line with Mysticism, as that is what I am used to when I do play this kind of gal.. Rogue, in some way definitely. Fits well with my own personality as well. he he.. Though strangely she would have certain loyalties..
That's a good thing, a rogue with no loyalties is known as "an unreliable person" :P.
Which can even sound interesting until you think about the other characters - why would they associate with such a person ;D?
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Rozel

Heh, yeah. I have to agree with that, and that was the angle I took with it. But outside that, I would say the gloves were off unless a new bond was created.. Oh, the possibilities of this.    >:)

Zelric Miras

How much can we make the background influence the char attributes and skills?

While reading, (only 160 more pages to go!), I've been listing things that a travelling character might have gotten involved into with the different races as well as things he/she might have acquired. Things like purchasing/taming a pet or getting involved with other races that might allow for knowledge on certain fields.  Maybe I can explain myself better:

The first that came to my mind, which I have somewhat discarded, is my char being an scholar with some training that was taken in a trip of study and mingling with other races. Depending on the circumstances, they would have stayed from a few days to a year where they went. During that time they would interact and get involved in everyday life of the races that were willing to allow them to stay, either from goodwill or reward. Barring racial skills and attributes, I thought he could have picked up a thing or two. How viable and/or limited is this?

I'll be back later on, I have classes to attend to.

MadPanda

Follow the paths and see what you get!  Much depends on how you spend your skill points, as well as which quirks you decide to purchase (if any).

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

Hi again.  I spent an inordinate amount of time on my sheet.  Gonna take a break from it and probably work on it some more with a fresh mind later this week.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Drift on September 14, 2010, 10:12:19 PM
Hi again.  I spent an inordinate amount of time on my sheet.  Gonna take a break from it and probably work on it some more with a fresh mind later this week.
Relax and have fun, we're going to welcome you when you come back to it!

Quote from: Rozel on September 14, 2010, 10:56:13 AM
Heh, yeah. I have to agree with that, and that was the angle I took with it. But outside that, I would say the gloves were off unless a new bond was created.. Oh, the possibilities of this.    >:)
You are welcome to explore said possibilities >:)! I would even say the heretic idea that this is the point of the game and not learning Mandaquan for your Thrall... ;D
I would advise in favour of having at least the beginning of a bond already formed with some other characters, though ;).

Quote from: Leorobin on September 14, 2010, 05:44:14 PM
How much can we make the background influence the char attributes and skills?

How viable and/or limited is this?
Basically, MadPanda answered it. I'm just going to expand on my own approach.
If you want to pull the "trained in distant lands" angle, go ahead, tell us what you feel your character should have. After all, the GMs can allow you to have a Quirk or skill from another race, if your background calls for it.
Of course, it's not going to be free, and some things simply cannot be learned, so we are going to decide on a case-by-case basis.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Zelric Miras

Oh thanks....be prepared to read a background....as soon as I read another 140 or so pages. :P That might be by friday. ^^; I have an exam on saturday.

Thufir Hawat

Do I have to set upper limits for the backgrounds now ;D?
Actually, I believe you not to write a fanfic before the game starts, so no rules are necessary ;).
Good luck on your exam!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Zelric Miras

No it won't be a fanfic, I'll try to keep it as short as possible so it won't take more than a few hours minutes to read. ^^

Thufir Hawat

Fine, I count on your promise ;).
Also, I posted a rough draft of my character here, if anyone wonders what this was. Of course, I already removed it, and will post the final variant, once I pick between a Zandir Certamente, Cymrillian swordsmage, and a Thaecian Musician-wizard.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Amelita

Hi honeys :) I'm definitely interested. Talk about skill points and character sheets in this thread was a major flashback to  ad&d days lol

I'm gonna read up on this world and see if it captivates me ;) 

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Dominioness

Thufir Pointed me in this direction. I'll give it a shot.
Usually play a healer.

An elven healer.

Drift

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started into the rules book but the setting has a lot to offer.  There is something for everybody in there and a lot of potential.  It's definitely worth a look even if you're just a little bit interested. ;)

MadPanda

It's quite a world.  Something for everyone...and in my case, since the Mentat has already announced his character options, I'm playing someone a bit off-standard.

Rajan girl who ran away from home at a very early age and fell in with some Arimite mercenaries.  She hides her features with an (unenchanted) Djaffir mask to avoid shocking people, but she's otherwise mostly pleasant.  Mostly.  All things considered.  She just plays with knives all the time.   :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Amelia on September 15, 2010, 06:51:12 AM
Hi honeys :) I'm definitely interested. Talk about skill points and character sheets in this thread was a major flashback to  ad&d days lol

I'm gonna read up on this world and see if it captivates me ;)
Well, the system is more open than AD&D ;).
Hope you'll like the world! I sure did.

Quote from: Dominioness on September 15, 2010, 07:46:10 AM
Thufir Pointed me in this direction. I'll give it a shot.
Usually play a healer.

An elven healer.
I did point you indeed, welcome to the party;D!
The elven part might be kinda hard to find in the setting :P. You can play a very good healer, though, if you concentrate on this Mode of magic and/or healing skills.

Of course, you don't have to play a healer in this game, if you want to try something new.

Quote from: Drift on September 15, 2010, 09:15:26 AM
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started into the rules book but the setting has a lot to offer.  There is something for everybody in there and a lot of potential.  It's definitely worth a look even if you're just a little bit interested. ;)
I see we have a new convert to Talislanta >:)!
Yeah, it's a rich setting, and I like that.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Drift

Well I think it's a notch up from D&D just for dispensing with the whole class system.    The paths make what is essentially an open skills system more accessible without necessarily shoehorning you into something.  You're certainly not going to end up with cookie cutter characters.  I thought it was funny that there was a disclaimer about class/race 'balance' in the game. 

Thufir Hawat

I certainly agree with most of the above, but let's leave it at that :P!

As a mostly unrelated side note, another of my favourite systems has a disclaimer about the "class balance", too. It boils down to "whatever you play, make yourself useful" >:)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

Considering that all prior editions had templates instead of the DIY approach of the path system, the disclaimer had a valid place in the rules.  It was possible, after all, to have some PCs running about who were not quite up to the stress of an adventuring life (Batrean Concubines, Monad Servitors, and Muses come to mind, although Muses are generally underrated).

5e allows for a lot more customization, but I must admit fondness for those templates.  Alas, some of my faves date way, way back to the old 2nd Ed and are no longer in the game.

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

What were your favourites, MP? Maybe we can get some of them back >:)?

Also, you can certainly make a character that is not up for adventuring with the current system, too, it depends more on your concept than any system ;).
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

The Heterodoxists are, like, completely out of the picture...but no matter.

I'm tempted to just snag an Arimite knife fighter and adjust the stats considering that my character's Rajan by birth.  It means losing a bit of skill points, but the Arimite Knife Fighting quirk is only available through the Assassin path (which seems...wrong).

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

Only because that was the only way to get the Arimite Knife-fighting quirk!  Not that I mind, overall.

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Well, she's got the "trained by foreigners" story, so I guess you can just get the quirk with a combat-ready path? Something like mercenary, or warrior, would fit there.
And of course, it's going to be 4 skill ranks instead of 2, 3 if you also take a negative quirk ;).
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

I may re-work her a bit.  On the other hand, if she stays as an Assassin (*ahem*)  I mean Arimite Conflict Resolution Arbiter, then she gets an apartment...

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Yeah, I noticed that perk with the Duelist, too >:)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

So if I get the time to run her through again, I'll let you know.   :-)

(And for everyone else, this is why we're more or less flexible with char-gen!  The rules have some funny ideas of what's what in places...)

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

The rules mostly have the right ideas. Sometimes people just like playing exceptional characters that are the first of their kind, though.
And then the GMs are there to help with it or to prohibit it, but I lean on the side of allowing it ;D.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

For the record, folks, if working through the Path system is taking too long, or if you have any trouble figuring some of this stuff out, feel free to snag one of the templates (section starts on page 242 and runs thorugh 252) to speed things along.   :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Drift

I know Madpanda and Thufir are here to help but I'm also willing to help people hammer their characters into shape.  If you have just a concept and need some help crunching numbers or just getting the sheet up there's definitely help to be had.

Seriously it took me awhile to get through all the content I needed to crunch to get the sheet filled out in what seemed a sensible way to me... the only hold up on my sheet at the moment is spells since I was thinking of writing a custom one or two... or maybe just using some of the canned ones.  I just need to make a decision and write it down.

*hugs all around* and it was a lot of fun making the character too haha.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Drift on September 17, 2010, 01:30:01 AM
I know Madpanda and Thufir are here to help but I'm also willing to help people hammer their characters into shape.  If you have just a concept and need some help crunching numbers or just getting the sheet up there's definitely help to be had.

Seriously it took me awhile to get through all the content I needed to crunch to get the sheet filled out in what seemed a sensible way to me... the only hold up on my sheet at the moment is spells since I was thinking of writing a custom one or two... or maybe just using some of the canned ones.  I just need to make a decision and write it down.

*hugs all around* and it was a lot of fun making the character too haha.
Thank you for your offer, Drift! And yes, creating characters is fun indeed ;D!
Still, the templates option is there for people's convenience, and they reflect three character paths, so no adjustment is necessary.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Rozel

Heya!  I thought I was going to have time for this, but I am going to have to pull out for now. I will look for the next one though. :S  I just do not have the time for it, otherwise I would LOVE to play along. :D

Have some good fun for me though. ;)

Thufir Hawat

Sorry to hear that, Rozel. I'm sure you'd have played an excellent roguish character :P!
Good luck, and see you next time, whenever this might be >:)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Thufir Hawat

Everybody, the GMs decided the game will be starting Monday, somewhere in the evening. The important part is, if you are ready with a concept and race until then, you can even post alongside everybody!

If you aren't ready with the mechanics of your characters yet, you have time until Friday to post them. If you need to roll before the character is posted in the chargen thread, your overall skill will be considered +1 before modifiers, though, with a +0 for attribute rolls ;D.
After Friday, only fully completed characters will continue in the game.

I think this is the moment to remind you that if you get stuck for time, you can use a template character, which means you'd need all of 15 seconds to post the mechanics of most characters ;).
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Thufir Hawat

Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Drift

Well gee, that's what I get for not checking the boards Monday!

I'll try to get my spells sorted out by Friday but can I go ahead and start with everybody?

MadPanda

Yes.  Go right on in.  The water's fine!   :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Drift on September 28, 2010, 09:07:42 AM
Well gee, that's what I get for not checking the boards Monday!

I'll try to get my spells sorted out by Friday but can I go ahead and start with everybody?
Of course you can! You are far beyond the minimum required "concept only" stage, aren't you?

Quote from: MadPanda on September 28, 2010, 09:45:09 AM
Yes.  Go right on in.  The water's fine!   :-)
And so is the wine on the Sarista wedding ;).
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MadPanda

Looking for a few new players!  We've had a drop due to RL (curse you, real world!) and so we're more than willing to add a couple new faces.

Drop on by!  Or shoot our resident mentat a PM if you prefer (it's still his turn to run things).

In Memory of Bishrook

Zelric Miras

If you are interested in fantasy, system roleplays and adventure drop in!

Amelita

I'm going to look this over again, I remember the general idea and I still have lots of material downloaded in a folder somewhere. Anyways, I'll let you know. If you still want me, that is ;D

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

MadPanda

Plenty of room for another player, yes!   :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Amelia on March 13, 2011, 01:46:11 PM
I'm going to look this over again, I remember the general idea and I still have lots of material downloaded in a folder somewhere. Anyways, I'll let you know. If you still want me, that is ;D
I can confirm what MP said - if you decide to try, you're going to be just as welcome as you were before ;)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!