News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Recip E!s with Despickable & Xandi

Started by Autumn52, July 15, 2010, 10:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Lilly

No criticism involved, Des.....just setting you straight! *grins*
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

despickable

Des: We are back a little delayed, my fault it is always the bloke’s fault, we are not usually the cause aren’t we DD?

DD: *looks very innocent, smiles, and doesn't rise to the bait*

Des: We have our Egg theme for this month and I always like my eggs. I prefer scrambled, but boiled and poached are always good too. I have made scrambled eggs with my Bah Mee Macaroni, but somehow I just can’t get the scrambled googies fluffy like a cuddly teddy bear. I don’t get them to look like yellow clouds, more like little pieces. Still they taste great, but isn’t food also about presentation. So DD any suggestions on  how to make top notch scrambled bum nuts?

DD:  *Gets a little distracted by Des' nuts...........*  Sorry?  What was that?  Oh yes...... scambled Eggs.....
Well this is the way I scramble my eggs:

Per egg:
1tbsp Cream
1 knob of butter
salt and pepper

Melt the butter in a non-stick pan on a low heat (not too large a pan). While it's melting whisk the eggs in a bowl with the cream and season WELL

When the butter has melted and begins to foam, swirl it around the edges of the pan, then pour in the beaten eggs.

Increase the heat very slightly and, using a wooden fork or a wooden spoon or a non stick/rubber whisk, stir continuously backwards and forwards, getting right into the corners of the pan. (this backwards and forwards motion keeps the whisked eggs light and fluffy)

Continue stirring until the eggs become a soft, creamy mass DON'T wait until it is as cooked as you like them, they carry on cooking for a while after you take them off the heat - so stop just BEFORE they are at the perfect consistency for you

DD: As well as all the lovely breakfasts, brunches and high teas it also makes wonderful sandwiches – make extra and put it in the fridge for your lunch tomorrow – you'll be surprised just how good it is and you'll never want a hard boiled egg sarnie again! Perfect with bacon or sausages – Mmmmmm......

For a special breakfast, serve on a warm bagel/breakfast muffin or croissant etc, and add strips of smoked salmon on top

You can also add smoked salmon into the mixture.  Start by cutting the smoked salmon into strips, and then pouring the cream from the recipe over it.  Leave it for the flavours to combine for a few minutes as you prep everything else.  Then whisk the eggs well, and then stir in the smoked Salmon and cream and cook as normall. Fresh dill also works very well with this.

Des: They sounds delicious and thanks for the handy hints. I was wondering why I have put on 9kilos in the last month. I go my answer. You ladies are spoiling me. And I love it.

DD: It weights 9 KILOS? *looks down at his jeans* You sure?  

Des: I have added a poached receipe in more ways than one I hope you all will try it and hope it gets you eggcited

How To Make Poached Eggs
Step 1: You will need
·   4 eggs
·   5 tbsp vinegar
·   2 tbsp salt
·   pepper
·   1 frying pan
·   4 rings
·   1 fish slice
·   4 ramekins

1.   Step 2: Heat the water
Place a pan, half filled with water, on a medium heat. Add the vinegar and salt. Place the four metal rings in the pan and bring to a simmer.
2.   Step 3: Break the eggs into the ramekins
Crack one egg on the side of the ramekin and then carefully break it in. Repeat with the remaining 3 eggs.
3.   Step 4: Poach the eggs
Carefully pour each egg into one of the four rings and leave to cook for 3-4 minutes.
4.   Step 5: Remove the rings
With a cloth to protect your hands remove the metal rings from the pan, leaving the eggs still in.
5.   Step 6: Serve
Take the pan off the heat and serve the eggs immediately on some toast, seasoning to taste just before serving.

DD: So now you have three choices of how to cook eggs for breakfast, when do I get breakfast in bed Des?

Des: What is in my pants doesn't weigh that much my dear girl, but it wouldn't disappoint. As for breakfast in bed. Snuggle under the blankets and I will bring you something hot and steamy, and something to eat too food wise..

DD: And don't think I've forgotten - you've gone very quiet about that sandwich Des...........   ;D

Des: I am working on the sarnie and will report back on it soon. Thanks DD for your help again and thanks folks for reading. The yolks on me.
Catch ya all next time and keep those food ideas coming in. below is the video of how to make the poached eggs above. Its from video jug.com Some may debate about the vinegar but again it's all about what cracks your egg.
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-poached-eggs

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

Autumn52

Hello all I just wanted to tell you all that I am going to make some Shrimp Scampi this weekend and I will post how it goes next week. Yum.

I miss you all, but Des and DD is taking care of you. Hugs to DD and Des. Keep up the good work.
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Ramster

*Hugs back* Good to see your pretty face in here again, Xandi!
Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

Magma1519

Yes very nice indeed. We all miss you.
A/A https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=90553.0  *UPDATED! 8/13*

I am so sorry to all my partners. I feel I am failing you all immensely. I just don't seem to have and muse or desire to write anymore. This may change eventually but there are no promises. Very sorry to you all.

http://www.dlclearance.com/JP_BW_Man_Dry_inShower_with_towel.jpg

DiverseDesires

Yes we do, and Des is pining... have you seen those puppy dog eyes?
"The imagination is the spur of delights… all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" ~Marquis de Sade~

Imaginings  ~  Desirables  ~  Wilful Words  ~  Diary - A/A  Updated September 15th

Autumn52

Xandi: First I want to tell you all how much I appreciate the well wishes and the missing me messages. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside so thank you. Now DD it looks like it is just us girls today. As promised I have pictures of the food from my superbowl party and the recipe for the shrimp dish I made. Now while we are Despickableless I think we should take advantage of some yummy girl time. I have enjoyed reading the thread since you have come on board, I hope you will stay and play with me and Des. Ok first things first, the whole omelet disaster, did you piss yourself laughing about that like me?

DD: While the Des is away the girlies can play.....   it made me want to be there with you! And yes lots of laughing..... cooking together with friends is just as much talking and laughing as cooking don't you think?

Xandi: Yes I love to cook with friends. It is a highlight of any party I throw or go to. So Have you done any great recipes lately? I just want to eat you right now, yummy. While I have you all to myself, no sharing. Oh DD my fantasies run away with me. *sighs and looks longing at*

DD: The boys were drooling on Sunday over the beef and mushroom Rogan Josh Curry I cooked them. So that went down VERY well.   I have to admit, I very rarely look at a recipe, only for timings occasionally, normally I make it up as I go along.  Spontaneity....  mmmmm... Xandi and fantasies..now where shall I start?

Xandi: That sounds really good. I love mushrooms, I have a great mushroom soup recipe and a mushroom risoto that I make. The boys are very lucky to have you. Well I cook from recipes sometimes but I always adjust things to my taste. I write things down as I go. I actually have a Xandi's favorite recipe book that I gave all my friends for Xmas one year. It was fun to put together. Now if I could only get my DD recipe, I wouldn't share that with anyone. I would lick and eat you out...I mean. Ahem. Moving on....So do you have a dish that you prepare that everyone always request? *Smiles innocently*

DD:  The request normally is ME!  *laughs* well..... mostly...... for my food!  To be honest they just want me to cook!  I wouldn't say I have a signature dish, my husband's favorite is a steak dish, that originates from steak au poivre flambé and has mushrooms that are cooked in sweet sherry until they caramalise and these go into the brandy and cream sauce.  It's rich and so... delicious.  I normally serve it with either mash, or tiny sauteed potatoes to soak up the sauce and fresh green vegetables.  *passes Xandi the bowl from the chocolate muffins she is making to lick out* you did say you wanted to lick out the bowl didn't you?  *Looks up innocently*

Xandi: Yes my dear I can imagine you are the Meal most people want to eat. I know I do. *Looks at DD with a wicked smile taking the bowl and puts some batter on my forefinger. Looking in her eyes, I begin to slowly suck my finger then using my tongue* mmmm I can think of something much sweeter than this batter that I want to lick. *Smiles and looks mischieveously at DD*
Now as for the Steak dish, that sounds delicious. You will have to write it out and put it in so I can try it. I guess that is about all I have for this week, besides I have some delicious plans in my immediate future. *Licks lips and stares at DD*
You got anything else? *Eyes her while holding a bottle of chocolate syrup and whip creme.*

DD:  I've got sooo much.........  *laughs* It's the stopping that's hard.....  *eyes the cream and quivers slightly*  I do find it hard to write recipes sometimes as I don't measure anything - I have to cook it all over again and measure as I go!  And then I forget half way through and just merrily pour as usual *laughs*   I will post a couple of pictures later of a very simple smoothie. And the instructions, well hardly instructions really - it's that easy. The Captain said the other day he had lots of scummy berries in the freezer, as do I.  And if you use frozen berries in a smoothie the ice granules turn it into a lovely sensation, great to drink and an easy way to use up a handful of berries too.  So I promise I will do that very soon.  Are there any egg recipes you'd like to try Xandi?  For Des's Egg Eggstravaganza?

Xandi: Well I am not a big egg eater so I will leave the eggs to Des. Now as for The Captain, there is another yummy piece of 'man meat'. I mean.....*Ahem*.....nevermind. The smoothie sounds really good, I look forward to the recipe and pictures. I think you and I should make a "Captain Sandwich" that would be yummy I think. I look forward to Des being back with us next week, you and I could have a lot of fun with him you know? *giggles* I look forward to that too.

DD: Sounds like the making of a party right there. Mmmm...  Sandwiches.. my favorite s....  *blushes* er I mean...  meal......     How about using eggs in some baking?  Have you got a sweet tooth Xandi?  *Holds her hand out for the chocolate sauce in readyness*

Xandi: Oh I love to bake in fact I made some cupcakes last week for the neighbors daughters birthday party. I bought her a Barbie doll and it was the centerpiece of the cupcake display. I did not put it in a naughty position as I have for some other adult parties. *Smiles and hands DD the chocolate sauce* I think we should wrap this up before I can't control my urge to 'take you to new heights.' I would hate for this thread to get kicked to the adult section because you are such a temptation to me and I have little self control when it comes to something as sweet as you. *smiles*

DD:  That reminds me of a Princess cake I did, with the Barbie doll stuck into a cake baked in a mixing bowl, to make it a ballgown *smiles* I think we should make a date and make some naughty cakes..sounds like a girl's night to me *laughs* *Takes the choclate sauce, and whispers very quietly*, "Shall we take the chocolate sauce and the whipped cream upstairs?"  "Don't forget to turn out the light............"

Xandi: *Grabs DD hand and begins a sprint upstair, turning off the light. On the way out yells back to all who are reading this* "Sorry people gotta go really....now as a matter of fact. I will post the recipe and picture.

Shrimp Scampi

Ingredients:

2 pounds of Fresh Shrimp (peeled and deveined and butterflied)
3 Tbs. Good Olive Oil (Extra Virgin is what I use)
2 Tbs. Good White Wine (cook with something you would drink)
2 Tsp. Kosher Salt or 1 Tsp. fine table salt
1 Tsp. Black Pepper
1 1/2 Sticks of butter at room temp. (must be real unsalted butter, no margarine)
4 Cloves of Minced Fresh Garlic (equal to 4 tsp.)
1/3 Cup Minced Shallots
1/4 Tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 1/2 Tsp. Fresh Lemon Zest
2 Tbs. Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice (Juice of one big lemon)
1 Large Egg yolk
2/3 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs (Must be Japanese Bread Crumbs)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 425*. Must be really hot before you put in the shrimp.

Peel, Devein and butterfly your shrimp. Leave the tails on. In a mixing bowl put your olive oil, wine and salt and pepper, whisk. Add shrimp to the bowl and toss. Set aside while you do your topping.

Topping:
In a medium size bowl mash the butter with garlic, shallots, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolk, panko bread crumbs and 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. black pepper until combined well.

Arrange shrimp in an appropriately sized baking dish, single layer. Pour the marinate over the shrimp. Put the butter mixture on top, evenly. You will have to just pinch it into clumps and disperse it over the entire top. At this point you can refrigerate until you are ready to cook it. If you refrigerate it you will need to let it set out at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes before baking.

Place your pan in the hot oven for 10-12 minutes until hot and bubbly the shrimp will be pink. Place under the broiler for an additional 1 minute for it to brown.

Eat while hot and make some bread to sop up all the yummy butter sauce. Enjoy!!!!

If you want to add some other fresh herbs you can add Rosemary and Parsley. I prefer it the way I put in the recipe but some people enjoy more fresh herbs. Rosemary and Parsley are great with shrimp.

May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

DiverseDesires

sorry, quite a bit later than planned, hope it is a case of better late than never,

The Captain's Berry Scrummy Smoothie

Frozen berries, plain yogurt, apple juice, one banana and sugar/sweeteners/honey if needed

So simple, chuck all the ingredients into a jug or tall container and blend.  Taste to see if you need to make it sweeter and also how thick you like it (Add more juice to make it thinner) blend again if you added anything. 

Sieve it if you don't like the pips and drink straight away.  You can keep it in the fridge, sealed/covered for up to three days but the ice granules from the fruit make it a lovely instant treat.  If you are using fresh fruit you can always add a little ice for the same effect.  I love it with just strawberries and banana, that's my favorite combination.  Blackberry and pear is great  - you can play around with lots of fresh fruit flavors.  If you're feeling adventurous and don't have berries in your freezer to use up like the Captain and I, try nectarine or peach, with honey and ginger.

To make it very low cal use no fat yogurt, a small banana and more berries, and only use sweeteners not sugar.  I always use live yogurt in mine to make it extra healthy and it's a great pick me up.  If you use tinned fruit, you'll need to use less juice.

Enjoy
"The imagination is the spur of delights… all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" ~Marquis de Sade~

Imaginings  ~  Desirables  ~  Wilful Words  ~  Diary - A/A  Updated September 15th

Autumn52

Thanks DD that looks really great. I can't wait to try it. I would love to lick some yogurt off of you....*ahem* I mean with you.

despickable

Oh dear It seems I can't leave you ladies alone for a few days without this getting all naughty and suggestive. I know i encoutrage hot suggestions on here, but ladies, well mmmmm.

my PC is in repair and will be better than ever and returned by next week. I thought I would look in on you and i see the girls are getting stuck in. I will have to bring out the chocolate sauce to those two I feel. mmmmm

Anyway I wanted to say thanks ladies for holding the fort. I will be back and i was hoping that the dear readers might like to add some cultural recipes to our little post here. I would love to try out things from all corners of our world. French, Italian, Japanese, Venezuelan whatever so I look forward to tasty morsels from you all.
And DD and Xandi I promise I will get to you two with a ladle and some chocolate sauce. I don't think I will have a shortage of volunteers to help me clean you off mmmmm

CYA soon

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Magma1519

Waves hand and volunteers!!

Wanted to stop in and say I have tried the Shrimp Scampy ala Xandi. Rave reviews from myself and parents. Nothing left over. Is so very tasty.
A/A https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=90553.0  *UPDATED! 8/13*

I am so sorry to all my partners. I feel I am failing you all immensely. I just don't seem to have and muse or desire to write anymore. This may change eventually but there are no promises. Very sorry to you all.

http://www.dlclearance.com/JP_BW_Man_Dry_inShower_with_towel.jpg

Kimbersqk

Here are several recipes that my family and I cook/bake when we have parties. You can always tweak the amounts a bit to fit for one person.

Main dishes
Hawaiian Meatballs
1 pkg of Armour meatballs (approx 48 meatballs in bag)
1 can (13.5 oz) pineapple tidbits, drained- save the syrup
1/3 cup chopped green pepper
½ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons corn starch
Put meatballs in crock pot. Put the pineapple and green pepper on top of meatballs. Mix the syrup, brown sugar, vinegar and corn starch in a bowl. Pour over mix over meatballs. Stir everything up. Cook on Low 6 to 8 hours.

Little hotdogs
2 package of little hotdogs (normally get Hormel- can get whatever brand you like)
1 bottle of BBQ sauce (normally original- can choose what kind of flavor you enjoy)
¼   bottle from BBQ bottle of WATER
Place hotdogs in crockpot. Add BBQ sauce. Add water. Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
**If you want to make them just for yourself to make, cut the recipe in half except the cooking time.   

Snacks
Oyster crackers
2 small bags plain oyster crackers
1 package hidden valley ranch original dressing mix
¾ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon dill weed
Put mixture in a small bowl. Put crackers in a big bowl. Spoon over crackers, toss while adding oil mixture. Let set for 2 hours so crackers absorb mixture. Every so often flip cracker container to mix in the oil mixture.

Cracker Mix
1 bag (14.5 oz) Original flavor bugles
6 cups miniature pretzels
1 package (12.5 oz) Clubhouse flavored stick crackers
1 package (10 oz) Wheat Thins
1 package (9 ¼ oz) Cheese Nips
1 package (7.5 oz) Nacho flavored bugles
1 package (6 oz) miniature parmesan fish-shamed crackers
2 cups mixed nuts
1 bottle Orville butter-flavored popcorn oil
2 envelopes Ranch Salad dressing mix
In 2 roaster pans, combine the first eight ingredients placing half in each pan. In a small bowl, combine oil and salad dressing mix. Pour over cracker mixture; toss to coat evenly. Bake 250 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool completely on paper towel.
Serves about 8 quarts.

Spinach Dip
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach
1 pkg soup mix
1 container (16 oz) sour cream
1 cup Mayonnaise
1 can (8 oz) Water chestnuts
3 Green Onions
Thaw spinach and squeeze dry. Stir soup mix, sour cream and mayonnaise together until blended. Stir in spinach, water chestnuts, chopped, and green onions. Cover. Chill 2 hours. Stir before serving. Makes 4 cups.
Can eat spinach dip with Hawaiian bread or sour dough bread. Those are the two we normally eat with. You may choose your favorite kind of bread.

Sweets
Popcorn Crunch
2 qt popcorn (8 cups)
1 1/3 cup pecans
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup Karo syrup
Mix popcorn and nuts. Combine other ingredients except vanilla. Boil stirring at all times 10 to 15 minutes. When color becomes white, add vanilla and cover the popcorn.

Almond Bark Pretzels
1 large package of pretzels
4 packages of white almond bark
Heat almond bark in a nice sized bowl until completely melted. Place pretzels in melted almond bark. Cover pretzel completely with bark then put on wax paper to dry. Can add sprinkles on if desired.

Drink
Punch
1 Quart Orange Sherbet
1 2 liter bottle of Canada Dry Ginger Ale
1 large can Pineapple Juice
Ice (if desired)
Spoon out the Orange Sherbet into a punch bowl into chunks. Pour Ginger Ale into the bowl then pineapple juice. Add ice if desired.

Love is like a butterfly; It goes where it pleases and it pleases wherever it goes.
It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon half way around the world. - Chaos Theory from Butterfly Effect

Kimber's O/O's
Sorries
Kimber doing what she loves. Signing C'est La Vie by B*Witched

despickable

I'm back my PC was off getting repaired and now I am ready to heat up the kitchen Thanks Kimbersqk for your contributions. I hope people will try them out and review your tasty treats. Xandi and DD will be joining me later for more of that witty banter. A three way well it is what most of us dream of huh? I haven't forgotten about their naughty goings on and i have my wooden spoon ready.

I will be wanting to introduce some traditional Aussie fare and some facts, you might find interesting to go with them. So stay tuned. This little thread will be in full swing real soon.
Catch you later. And please send in you favorite dish from your part of the world as our them is International I look forward to seeing what States and country fare is on offer.

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Autumn52

Xandi: Well, well, well what do we have here? Des and DD and me. That could be a dangerous combination don't you think. *shakes head to get the imagines running around in there to clear long enough to get the recipe thread underway.*
So it is good to have you two in one place together. I have missed you both. *Goes to sit on Des lap and smiles at DD for her to come over as well.* He is a sturdy Aussie bloke lets make him our chair for now.
*Smiles at Des and whispers*, "you don't mind do you dear. I mean two women so close, you don't mind if we take advantage of you do you?"

DD: *Whispers to Xandi, "It doesn't look like he minds..." *

Xandi: *Giggles* Oh wait sorry to our readers I was getting a little carried away with my fantasies here. *Focuses*
This week in the thread DD and I want to talk about Tea Time. Now in Australia it means something different than what it means in Britain. In America tea time? well we don't really have tea time. But in the south we have tea parties, you know where stuffy ladies dressed up in pretty dresses sticking their pinkies out and drinking horrible tea. So what is Tea time where you live? and what sort of things do you serve at tea time?

Des: Tea time here is what most Americans call supper or dinnertime. We have morning tea and afternoon tea. It is usually the main meal or family meal of the day. Morning tea is a break with a cup of coffee or tea and some sort of snack, usually something sweet. Some people take the opportunity to have a smoko. Afternoon tea is similar and it is usually another break around 3 or 3:30 in the afternoon.

Xandi: So your tea times can be meal but are often break times during the work day, Is that right?

Des: Yeap that's right. Tea time in the evenings is the main meal but throughout the day it is short breaks.

DD: The first is the same here, in the UK, I keep confusing my US writing partners by calling my supper 'Tea' and saying it was teatime, although we don't really call our breaks 'tea time,' more like a coffee break and in the mid mornings we call it elevenses – other British term most people in other countries don't know.  Elevenses is just a mid morning break with a hot drink and sometimes a treat like biscuits or cake. If we are having a break just for a hot drink we'd say would you like a cuppa? Or call it a tea break etc.

There are a few other teas though – afternoon tea, nursery tea, cream teas and high tea.  *Smile* that is just to confuse you though.*whispers to Xandi, Is Des OK he looks a little........'Des'tracted?"

Afternoon tea is the one people most associate with the British, a light afternoon meal, sometimes some dainty sandwiches, but home made cakes, tarts and scones, a pot of tea of course, 

[Floatleft] [/float]And afternoon tea in posh hotels like the Ritz in London, or lovely country house hotels is a real treat, and much loved by visitors from the US and elsewhere, and includes delicacies from the pastry chef as well as the traditional cakes, biscuits and scones etc.

We can leave the other 'Teas' for another day, I'm not sure if Des can last out much longer with the two of us........

Xandi: Des you mentioned in your last post that you wanted to talk about international difference in cuisine. Now I noticed that you have added some Kangaroo Steak and Crocodile Fillet recipes. I guess I will add Shrimp and Grits as a totally southern US recipe. I grew up on grits and Shrimp abounds in the south so it is naturally paired together for some 'good eats.' (Yes I watch Alton Brown *giggles*)
So DD what is a meal that is known for the area you live in?

Des: Hey wait, DD I would like to see your spotted dick. *laughs*

DD: In the area I live in now (Not where I grew up) we are in cider country and also pork, like Gloucester Old Spot Pigs, is very well-known so I'll add a pork and cider dish that is very popular. 

Spotted dick huh Des? Should I be worried? 

Personally  prefer Jam Roly Poly, *tilts her head to one side and asks innocently, "Would you like some roly poly with me Xandi?" *

Xandi: Yes I would. However I think Des should show us his spotted dick just to be fair. *giggles*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Des Recipe Contributions This Week
Kangaroo Steak

Ingredients:
    * 4 x 175g/6oz Kangaroo Steaks
    * Flour to coat
    * 50g/2oz Butter
    * 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
    * 1 Onion, finely chopped
    * 225g/8oz Mushrooms, chopped
    * 390ml/13fl.oz. Coconut Milk
    * 180ml/6fl.oz. Dry White Wine
    * 3 tsp very coarsely ground Black Pepper
    * 1 tsp Mustard
    * 3 tbsp Freshly chopped Coriander
    * Salt
Instructions:
1. Rub the steaks with black pepper on all sides then coat with flour on all sides. Shake off any excess.
2. Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan, add the steaks and sauté for 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the steaks to a warmed platter, cover with foil and leave in a warm place.
3. Add the onions and mushroom to the frying pan and sauté for 4- 5 minutes.
4. Add the wine, bring to the boil then boil rapidly until most of it has evaporated, stirring constantly.
5. Add the coconut milk and continue to stir until it starts to thicken then stir in the pepper and mustard.
6. To serve - pour the mushroom sauce over the steaks and sprinkle with chopped coriander. Serve immediately.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Crocodile Fillets

Ingredients:
    * 4 x 200g/7oz Crocodile or Alligator Fillets
    * 2 tbsp Lime Juice
    * 2 Spring Onions, chopped
    * 25g/1oz Butter
    * 1 tsp Olive Oil
    * 12g/1/2 oz Fresh Rosemary Needles
    * 60ml/2fl.oz. Dry Vermouth
    * 120ml/4fl.oz. Fish Stock
    * 60ml/2fl.oz. Single Cream
    * Salt and Black Pepper
Instructions:
1. Season the crocodile fillets with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large nonstick frying pan until very hot, add the fillets and dry fry for 2 minutes on each side.
3. Sprinkle with the lime juice, set aside and keep warm.
4. Heat butter in another frying pan, add the spring onions and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the rosemary and vermouth and boil rapidly until reduced by 2/3rds.
6. Add the cream and reheat until hot but not boiling.
7. Season with salt and pepper then strain into a sauce boat.
8. To serve - transfer the meat to a warmed platter and pour the sauce over the top. Serve immediately.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Xandi's Recipe Contribution this Week
Better Than Sex Cake
Ingredients:
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (16 ounce) package frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 1/4 cups flaked coconut
16 ounces chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup white sugar
Directions:
Bake yellow cake mix according to package directions for one 9x13 inch cake.
Combine the crushed pineapple (undrained) with the white sugar and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat. Set aside to cool.
Mix instant vanilla pudding according to package directions. Place in the refrigerator to let it set completely. 
Once cake is cool spread the cooled pineapple mixture over the top.
Fold together the whip topping and the prepared vanilla pudding. Spread the whip topping mixture over the pineapple on the cake and sprinkle the flaked coconut and chopped nuts over the top of the cake. Let cake chill for at least 1 hour before serving.

Tips: You can substitute any flavor pudding you want to. I have used a lemon cake and lemon pudding but in all honesty the yellow cake and vanilla pudding is the best in my opinion. But you can have fun with it and experiment.

One more thing. It is a yummy cake however the name is deceiving. It is in no way better than sex. *Giggles*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shrimp and Grits

Ingredients:
3 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick-cooking grits
1 (7 ounce) package garlic cheese spread (philly cream cheese in the little tub is what I use)
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds fresh large shrimp, shelled and deveined without tails
1 large tomato, diced
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
In a saucepan, bring the water and salt to a boil. Stir in the quick grits and reduce the heat. Cook slowly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the garlic cheese until melted. Let sit for 2 to 4 minutes; keep warm.
In a skillet, heat the butter and oil over medium heat. Saute the shrimp until pink. Stir in diced tomato and cook until tomato is heated through. Remove from heat and salt and pepper to taste.
Spread the cheese grits on a warm platter. Top with shrimp mixture.

Tips:
Now if you want to mix it up you can substitute the garlic cream cheese with 1 cup of cubed Velvetta cheese. If you do that then use one or two garlic cloves, minced, in with your shrimp. Add the garlic with the shrimp into the oil and butter when the shrimp are done the garlic will be done too. Garlic can be bitter when over cooked so be careful not to overcook it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DD's Contributions for this Week
West Country Pork Chops with Cider and Caramelised Apples

Ingredients:
4 x 200g/7oz pork chops
4 tsp sea salt flakes
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, peeled, finely chopped
150g/5oz smoked bacon, chopped
1 bouquet garni (celery, parsley, bay leaves and thyme)
300g/10½oz button mushrooms
300g/10½oz shallots, peeled, cooked for ten minutes, then drained and refreshed in cold water
4 Cox's apples, peeled, cores removed, quartered
4 tbsp muscovado sugar
500ml/17½fl oz cider
4 tsp English mustard
400ml/14fl oz double cream (heavy cream)

Directions:
1.Roll the fat sides of the pork chops in the salt flakes.
2.Heat a griddle pan until smoking. Sear the fat side of the pork chops in the pan for 1-2 minutes, using tongs to keep the pork chops upright in the pan. When the fat is golden-brown and crisp, lay the pork chops down flat and fry for 3-4 minutes on both sides, or until the pork chop has deep griddle marks all over. Set aside.
3.Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion and bacon together for 4-5 minutes, or until the onion is starting to colour. Add the bouquet garni, button mushrooms and shallots to the pan and cook over a medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes.
4.Pour the cider into the pan and deglaze by scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon, then bring to the boil. Add the pork chops and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the pork is cooked through (the juices should run clear when the pork is pierced at the thickest part).
5.Meanwhile, dust the apple pieces with the muscovado sugar. Place the griddle pan used to cook the pork back over the heat, then add the apples and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the apples are golden-brown and caramelised.
6. Remove the pork chops from the pan and set aside to rest. Return the pan to the heat and bring to a rapid boil, then stir in the mustard and cream and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced to a sauce consistency.
7.To serve, spoon the caramelised apples onto serving plates and arrange a pork chop next to the apples, spoon over the sauce and serve. (Creamy mash or crushed new potatoes go very well with this)

(If you don't have a griddle pan just use and ordinary frying pan. And if the cider is very dry you may need to add a teaspoon of sugar or a drizzle of honey if you don't like sharp sauces)

Aftrenoon Tea Recipe – DD's St Clement's Cake

"Oranges and lemons said the bells of St Clement's....."

Ingredients:
7oz butter (and a little extra for greasing)
4 oz castor sugar
3 oz golden demerera sugar
3 large eggs
2 oz plain flour
Pinch of salt
2 tsp baking powder
4.5 oz ground almonds
finely grated rind and juice of either two satsumas, or one large tangerine or one med/small orange

Ingredients:
For the icing
The juice and very finely grated rind of one lemon
icing sugar

Directions:
I use a tray bake tray to cook this about 8" by 13", if you don't have this I'd suggest cooking it in two sandwich tins rather than one deep cake tin. I preheat the oven to 175° on my oven, which is pretty fierce so you may need it about 180° (350°  / Mark 4)

I think using a tangerine or some of the more scented orange fruits gives this cake a wonderful freshness, but it works very well with an orange too.  It is one of the most moist cake recipes I have baked, a real delight, and failsafe too.  It doesn't taste of almonds as such, but if you want an almond taste, or to make it into a real orangy and almond dessert, add two teaspoon of almond essence to the mix, and instead of using the lemon drizzle icing make an orange and amaretto butter icing, very decadent, and to decorate you can sprinkle on some flaked almonds.  It is lovely served warm too with caramalised oranges for dinner parties.
Method:
I use an electric hand mixer for this recipe, beating the butter and sugars until very light, pale and creamy.  Then I break the eggs into the side of the bowl, titling it to one side then beat the eggs (not into the mixture just to combine the eggs well.)

I sift in the flour, salt and baking powder, add the almonds, tangerine zest and juice and beat all the ingredients together on med speed just long enough to combine them evenly.

Butter the traybake tin and then spoon in all the mixture, leveling it out and placing it in the center of the oven.

I put the timer on for 25 mins, the cake should be a nice pale brown and spring back to the touch, it sometimes takes another 5/10mins but prob  take less if in sandwich tins, I'd probably check after 20 mins.

When the cake is cool, I mix the lemon juice and zest with enough sifted icing sugar to make a 'drizzle' icing, that is to say not a thick firm icing, just a light smear that is wonderfully sweet/sharp with the cake.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xandi: Well thats all for this weeks folks.....*eyes Des and DD* well all for the thread anyway. *Smiles and then snuggles against DD* I think we will be busy for a while, we still have chocolate sauce and whip cream. Des I'm hungry what do you say you let me and DD take you upstairs and *ahem* fill my desires and fantasies for an hour or four?

Ramster

Your best post to date, guys! Now I'll just be down in the sewers hunting alligators for Des's recipe...
Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

RP7466

Pretzel crusted walleye in apple cream sauce. A recipe I'm working on, the walleye will be making their spawning run sometime in the next month or two. This is what I have so far but Ive never made a cream sauce before. any suggestions?

4 Walleye fillets
1 bag of pretzels
eggwash
3 granny smith apples
2 cups heavy cream
2 Tbsp butter

Crush the pretzels and put them in a bowl
make the eggwash and put them in a bowl
melt 2 Tbsp butter in a small sauce pan
Puree the apples and put them in the sauce pan with the butter
bring to a low boil and mix in the cream
simmer for ________ don't know

While the sauce simmers start the fish
Coat the fillets with flour and shake off excess
dip the fillets in eggwash
then coat with pretzel crumbs

Pan fry the fillets in vegetable oil

Serve on a plate and drizzle the cream sauce over the fish, garnish with Apple slices if your into that sort of thing.
"It's my only politics... anti-wife. Any woman who devotes herself to making one man miserable instead of a lot of men happy don't get my vote"

John Wayne as Sam McCord

DiverseDesires

It will be hard to get the balance right as the pretzels are salty, the apples sweet, it may be easier to do a salsa or tomato sauce to balance with that.

Apples - to cook your apples melt the butter on a low heat, add your apples and I would suggest a splash of lemon juice (great with the fish and will cut through well) cook gently, the apples will not needed pureeing, they will gradually soften and collapse, taste - of you use cooking apples, or your apples are particularly sharp you may need to add sugar.

With the pretzels I'd possibly add some chopped parsely, and even a spoonfull of flour.

So now you have fish, parsely, lemon, applesauce salt. 

Perhaps try it with just that

To make the applesauce creamy, (no lemon) you prob don't need anything as much cream.

The creamy apple sauces I have done in the past have also used cider and stock, and herbs, mainly for pork.  Onions and apples as a base work very well too

Have you eaten something similar?  Or seen a recipe and thoguth to try it / change it slightly?  How strong is the fish and is it oily? (Sorry don;t know it)

Creamy apple sauce.... hmm...  for me, I'd start off with some butter, soften the apples, pour in a glass of cider, a pinch of dried thyme and a lot of black pepper and a stock cube.  Cook through and then add the cream and bring back up to heat just near the end before dishing up. To be honest it would prob have some very finely diced sweet onion at the start, I just love that combo, and often roast chops on a bed of onions, sweet potatoes and apples - YUM!

Edit:

Found this:  http://www.crazysquirrel.com/recipes/game/pheasant-with-creamy-apple-sauce.jspx

RP7466

I hunt and fish, and try to keep flavorings to a minimum when I cook the meat, it's a personal thing for me, out of respect for the animal. I have made a pretzel crusted walleye before, very good. I usually use pretzel rods and flake off some of the salt before i crush them. I'm trying to figure out the apple sauce to go with it. I've had fish with cream sauces before that gave me the idea. The trouble is walleye has a mild flavor, and it wouldn't take much to overpower it. That's why I'm trying for a sauce with just a mild, buttery, creamy, apple flavor. (i have a thing for apple) I like your idea of cider, lemon, and the parsley in the pretzel crumbs. And thanks for the input on how to cook the apples. Maybe ill make a bunch of different sauces before the spawning run starts and give em a try. Thanks for the help. 
"It's my only politics... anti-wife. Any woman who devotes herself to making one man miserable instead of a lot of men happy don't get my vote"

John Wayne as Sam McCord

DiverseDesires

I'm with you on the simple dishes with fresh-caught ingredients. 

Another coating you might like to try is oatmeal, dip the well-seasoned fish in eggwash and then oatmeal and then fry in a hot frying pan with some oil.  With light flavoured fish it is a lovely light nutty taste, really lovely.  As a child in cornwall we used to cook mackerel over a campfire on the beach and as it is a oily fish it was just delicious, one of the tastes of my childhood I will never forget.

Another sauce, with fish, that isn't overpowering I think is parsley sauce - a Delia one here  Also a light wine wine and cream sauce would be worth trying as would a honey and mustard creamy sauce (it doesn't have to be strong so it can be balanced with the fish)

Let me know if you try the cider one - I hope you like it

D D x x x

RP7466

Ill give the oatmeal a try. And fish on an open fire! wow your talking to the right guy. Most memories I have that will pull me out of a shitty mood involve cooking walleye on the shore of a Northern Michigan lake .  I can only think of one better meal than walleye cooked on a campfire and that's venison tenderloins cooked the day the deer was taken. An almost sacred meal in my circle.  We will have to talk and comare our shore lunch stories.  XD

John Wayne as Sam McCord

Autumn52

RP I had never considered serving apples with fish before. That sounds really good. I normally make an apple chutney to serve alongside pork but I think it would be wonderful with your fish. A mild cream sauce to serve with fish sound interesting The only way I had ever heard of fish being paired with diary was to poach the fish in milk flavored with different spices. Then serving it alongside some apples the way DD talked about. (to poach in milk you simply fill 2/3 of a pan with a lid with milk and then add what ever your favorite spices are, I think thyme and rosemary and garlic pair well with fish but you can decide what you like. Then when the milk has come to a simmer you place the fish in the milk and cover it letting it simmer not boil for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the fish is done. Each type of fish has a different cooking time. Then you take the fish out of the milk and if you want to make a sauce use the milk that has the fish taste in it. It is delicious)

The pretzel coating sounds really good. I think a little crushed pretzels on the apple chutney right before serving would be great too.

I noticed that you mentioned venison. Do you have a venison recipe you could share with me? I like the taste but don't often get to eat it so I find that I usually over cook it. What would you suggest?

despickable

Oh dear this buck better get in around the does and add something wild. So here is a few recepe ideas I found for venison Xandi

Venison Cooking Tips
# When preparing venison for cooking, trim off as much fat as possible. Any visible fat should be removed since it adversely affects the flavor of the meat.
# A good venison recipe should include another form of fat such as butter, cooking oil, bacon, or even beef fat to enhance the flavor.
# Never salt venison before cooking. Salt inhibits browning and removes juices.
# Don't over cook venison. Over cooking any lean meat leads to dryness.
# Choose a method of cooking that adds moisture to the meat. Slow simmering in a sauce, frequent basting, or cooking in a crockpot will prevent venison from drying out and becoming tough or chewy.
# Use moist-heat cooking such as braising, even for steaks.
# When roasting, pan frying or grilling, cover the meat with foil for 5 to 10 minutes.
before serving to give the juices time to distribute evenly.

Venison Remedies
If your venison has a strong and unpleasant taste....
# Soak the meat in salt, vinegar and water for several hours to help remove the gamey taste.
# Use long, slow cooking methods and cook in sauces, gravies, etc.
# Use seasonings, marinades and sauces.
# Try combinations of thyme, parsley, garlic, onions, soup mixes, etc.
# Marinades tenderize the meat and disguise the gamey flavor.
# The following ingredients can be used as marinades for venison....
Vinegar, wine vinegar and wine
Salad dressings such as French or Italian
Tomato sauce, tomato soup, stewed tomatoes and tomato juice
Orange, lemon and grapefruit juice

Venison Recipes

From Lori Holuta, of CocoaJava.Com...

To prepare a fantastic tasting Venison Roast that's so tender it falls apart...
# Place a cut of venison into a large skillet.
# Pour on a quart jar of homemade canned tomatoes.
# Add a diced onion
# Add a splash of Worcestershire sauce.
# Simmer on low for 2 to 3 hours.

To prepare venison steak....
# Cut venison steak into serving size pieces.
# Dredge in flour and salt (about 1/4 cup flour & 1 tsp. salt).
# Melt a few spoonfuls of margarine or oil in a skillet and brown the meat on both sides.
# Add 1 medium onion, sliced.
# Add 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce.
# Add one cup of water. Or, use tomatoes or tomato juice as part of the cooking liquid.
(Tomato acids tenderize the meat nicely.)
# Cover, reduce heat, and cook for about 1 hour or until tender, adding more water as needed.

Venison Meatloaf

* 3/4 lb. ground venison
    * 1/4 lb. sausage
    * 1 egg
    * 2 T. parsley, chopped
    * 1 T. butter, softened
    * 1 T. bread crumbs
    * 1 tsp. lemon juice
    * 1 tsp. salt
    * 1/4 tsp. pepper
    * 1 T. dried onion flakes
    * 1 cup water
    * 1/2 packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix

Preparation -
Combine all ingredients except the onion soup mix and water; shape into a loaf. Place in a lightly greased loaf pan. Bake at 350º for 1 hour, basting about every 10 minutes with a combination of 1 cup water and 1/2 packet dried onion soup mix.

That is how you cook Bambi on the barbie

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

RP7466

There really is no need to doctor up venison too much. The most important part about venison is the care taken in getting it from the woods to the freezer. The gamy flavor and toughness people usually associate with venison is from improper handling.

First consideration is shot placement.
First off a quick kill should be every hunters number one concern. (number two next to safety) I you are going to take the life of an animal you have the responsibility to do it as humanely as possable, if you cant shoot get the fuck out of the woods. Along with ethics the shot placement also effects the flavor of the meat. When a poor shot is taken, and the deer runs, the large muscle groups become engorged with blood, hormones, and other chemicals because of the flight or fight response. This causes some of the gamey flavor.

Keep it clean.
When the deer is being transported or stored it is important to keep it clean. Keep dirt and debris out of the body cavity and clean the inside with a vinegar water mix.

Keep it cool, but not frozen.
After the kill cool the carcass as soon as possable (40 degrees is a good temp), where i live that means hanging it in the garage/barn. If you live down south, skin it, quarter it, and put it in a spare refrigerator. Allow the quarters to hang for 10-14 days. The reason for this is the bacteria that breaks down the connective tissue between the muscle fibers are active at this temperature, while the bacteria that cause meat to rot is not. This will make the meat more tender. That is one of the reasons steak is so expensive at a fancy steak house, they dry age it before it is served. I cook one of the backstraps like a beef Wellington, and it is tender enough that a knife is unnecessary to cut and eat it.

A good butcher job.
I take pride in the fact that I am the only one that touches my venison from field to table, but it's not for everybody. If you have your deer processed someplace make sure the steaks are kept thick, and without a band saw. Try to find somebody that does boneless cuts if possable. Most places take the leg and more or less run it whole on a band saw making slices and calling them steaks. That round bone you see in the center is the femur after being cut. Again I would recommend doing it youself, along with the pride, you can ensure a minimum amount is wasted. It is not difficult with a good cutting chart, I imagine there are probably youtube videos on the subject.

Storage
After the meat is butchered, if it hasn't been frozen yet, do not put it directly into the freezer, or into an empty freezer. (this can be applied to all meat storage). When meat goes through the freezing process water inside the cells expand. If this takes place slowly, the water expands too much and ruptures the cell wall. That is what has happened when you thaw some meat and the juices are running all over the place. Instead cool the meat in the refrigerator or outside to within a couple degrees of freezing. Then put the packaged meat into the freezer. When I load the freezer I do it a little at a time starting with a freezer full of water bottles. I take out a few bottles and put in some meat, wait a bit, take out a few more bottles and add a bit more meat. This keeps the thermal mass of the freezer high, and will help to decrease the freezing time of the food. IE keeping the muscle cells in tact. you can move the bottles back and forth between the fridge and freezer as you use up meat, this will allow the freezers compressor to run more efficiently and will help protect the food if their is a power outage.

I know you asked for recipes, and there are some to come, but this stuff is important.

John Wayne as Sam McCord

Autumn52

Thanks for the tips RP. I don't think I will ever go hunting but some of our readers might find it useful and the information is informative and humane. I appreciate all the detail and reason that you put behind what information you gave to us. Like why sometimes the meat might taste gamey and how to avoid that. Very informative. Thank you again.

I look forward to your recipes.

Hugs

DiverseDesires

I agree - lots of game needs careful handling, and good hygiene,  the only thing I would add is that it is a good idea to get your meat (any meat) to room temperature before you cook it, and try not to do it straight from freezer or fridge, it makes a suprising amount of difference as to how tender it is.

Most people do have to use the venison they can hold off and run with that.  The reason why acidic marinades are good is that it does tenderise the meat, but the simpler the better normally.  Also if you are carrying meat on a camping trip (freshly killed or brought with you), you can add some seasoning and some fresh herbs between the layers (for instance sorrel and wild garlic picked fresh as you go is delicious as is wild thyme) and wrap.  Then when you make camp, the light flavours will have permeated the meat so when you cook them it is absolutely lovely.

If you are cooking a fresh kill, it is very different to hung meat.  And there are different cooking techniques for both. Fresh meat needs quick high temperatures and being left fairly rare normally, and good resting too (if you can wait that long once you start to smell it *smile* ).   The liver and kidneys are particularly good eaten straight away. 

One meat eaten straight away that is particularly nice and incredibly easy to cook, and to prepare, are pigeon breasts, as you need not do any of the messy game bird prep, just slice off the breasts with the feathers, then take off the skin with the feathers intact.  You have a fillet in your hand which cooks almost in seconds, and is a lovely flavour and can take both lighter and stronger accompaniments too.

RP I wish I could come on your next trip, my tummy is rumbling just at the thought. Campfire cooking has a special magic about it  ;D   Have you tried making venison sausages or patties - they are delicious!   ;D