News:

Main Menu

Life is precious.....

Started by Aeval, July 23, 2009, 12:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeval

I met this woman in class in January. We got to talking and after a while she told me she was a cancer survivor. We would see each other once a week and talk. About a month later she told me the cancer had returned with a vengeance. Class ended and we stayed in touch--for over a month now she sends me text messages- it's easier for her than talking on the phone. She is dying. We just finished texting  for about 20 minutes now..she thinks she is near the end..I feel incredibly honored and saddened and awed by her openness and honesty and her desire to share it with me. Part of me wants to scream out to everyone: " STOP ARGUING AND BITCHING WITH EACH OTHER AND WORRYING ABOUT WHY YOU CAN'T BUY THAT NEW I PHONE-- IT DOESN'T MATTER! IT'S NOT IMPORTANT! LIFE IS TOO PRECIOUS..PLEASE..PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE...MAKE THE BEST OF IT..Tell people that you love them..be kind ..be considerate..stop the jealousy..the anger..share when you can..help when you can..comfort when you can.."

I can't scream this out so I hope you don't mind me screaming it here..It somehow makes me feel better and maybe the tears will stop falling soon and this incredible pain and ache in my heart for her will stop.

“Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.”
― Neil Gaiman

Phoenix

Our society has such a taboo around death. I would just really like to honor your willingness to speak freely with her about death. To allow her to do this in a manner that honors her needs and desires. To be there for her, and not abandon her because it's difficult for you to cope with.

Blessings to you, and to her, dear ones both.

Jude

While I do agree Human life is valuable, there are 7 billion people (more by now...) on the planet, I see a contradiction I can't quite remedy.

Andy

We are speaking individuals, not as a global matter, to me my life is precious at least.
Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2012, 09:32:19 PM
Remember:  Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to Hell in such a way that they thank you for the vacation tip.

Andys Creations: http://www.f-list.net/c/nullah%20mighthoof/

Phoenix

I don't think that reply is really on topic.

She's talking about a personal friend who is dying, and she's telling us to remember to appreciate our loved ones, enjoy life, and treat every day like it's valuable.

Doesn't really appear to have much to do with global population, to me.

Kind of like someone talking about gardening, and someone else coming in and telling them to save the rainforests, lol.

Serephino

There may be 7 billion people on the planet, but each life has some sort of value and purpose.  And really, we as a culture don't take the time to look at what is really important.  We all want a blackberry, and a new car, and whatever the hell else is the new fad.  We get so caught up in material possessions and social status it's sad.  We're defined by how much money we make and what we own.

Blessings to you Aeval for not abandoning her because it would be easier for you, and prayers for your friend that her passing is as painless and easy as possible.

Aeval

Phoenix is correct and thank you Angel- this is more personal than global population: In the end - material things, money, the clothes you wear, the electronics you have, the cd's, dvd's, plushie's or action figures..or collections..none of that matters..it comes down to who is near you..willing to listen to you as the moments of your life slip away...it is a most amazing and most difficult experience from one who is a listener..

“Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.”
― Neil Gaiman

Sweet Innocence

Aeval,

Your friend has honored you with a very precious gift, the insight into the mind and heart of a life that is coming to an end.  You, in return, have honored her by gifting her with an ear into which she can pour herself.  You were chosen, for what reason you may never know, to smooth the path your friend has to travel and to accompany her at least a part of the way on her journey.  I've partnered two people, a sister and a friend, on that journey and though the end is sad there is comfort in knowing that I was able to help. 
There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Ons and Offs

Jadyn

Quote from: RandomNumber on July 23, 2009, 03:49:51 PM
While I do agree Human life is valuable, there are 7 billion people (more by now...) on the planet, I see a contradiction I can't quite remedy.

What is scarce is not necessarily valuable and what is valuable is not necessarily scarce.

Best wishes to both you and your friend, Aeval.
“The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you’ve got millions of pals out there. Type in ‘Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire’ and the computer will say, ‘Specify type of goat.’” — Richard Jeni
O&O [Edited July 26] and Availability Update [Edited Sept. 11]