News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Star Trek Game Interest Check

Started by dakabn, July 17, 2011, 08:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dakabn

No longer relevant, but thanks for all the responses!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
;D I have been itching to do a Maquis storyline since Voyager. So we're doing the timeline in which they exist. Other trekkies may need to help me flesh out the details of that timeline and I'll post sites to help us research.

??? Now, I know how trekkies can get. They can be opinionated and this is scifi. It's not real, but everyone has their preference (or sense of canon) about things. It can be touchy. So here's how it's going to go: No debating. I have final say. Only so we don't waste time on debating certain details when we could be roleplaying.

Anyone interested, PM me the following Character Sheet replacing my character's info.

QuoteCharacter Name: Naranda Roswell     

Species: Human/Betazoid     

Gender: Female (Player Gender does not need to match character gender)

Hair Color: Auburn     

Eye Color: Green     

Height: 5'6" (Build is going to be a given. Everyone should at least be of healthy shape or beyond. They are military. If you choose to be civilian, you can include notes on build and appearance in further notes.)

Rank: Lieutenant (There are no cadets. Ensign is the lowest rank.  There can be civilians.)

Position: Chief Security Officer (Keep in mind there can only be one chief in each department. If someone is already chief, you can be made assistant. If there's already one of those, I'll talk to the chief about having assistants for specific disciplines within that department.)

Service Record: Will be in Character Thread once built. (Only required if you're going for something higher than Ensign)

Background Summary: Will be in Character Thread once built. (Not required so long as you keep anything RPed about your past, family, etc. consistent) Information that could be included in a background summary (Stuff I don't care if you include, but if you have ideas for it, go ahead): Birthplace / Family / Hobbies / Skills and Talents / Education / Decorations / Reprimands / Medical Notes / Personality / Appearance

C:) Sending this in does NOT automatically put you in the game. We may need to discuss things. I will create a character thread and I will PM you the link to your character. If the game is already in progress when I send that PM, just jump in.

:-[ I will not be playing the captain or even the XO (I might NPC an XO for now). I may start without one which will start the game docked at the station and our characters can just be waiting for orders or the ship's being repaired while they get a new captain, etc. So, I'm looking for a Captain. Experience preferred, but if you can BS it, I'm ok with that too. :) Just know I'll be -very- picky about that role. At the risk of making myself look bad, I need a better writer than myself. I'm very literate, but I need someone whose writing matches the serious, complex role they're taking on. His personal life if your own, but you need to understand that a Starfleet captain is of extremely high caliber and requires a certain authority and leadership ability. You need to be able to at least roleplay such.

8-) Marines are also welcome, but I'm not too familiar with that aspect, so you'll have to help me out there. However, I reserve the right to choose your CO as well.

POSTING IN FORUMS: This is NOT a play by post. We will use the forums to put joint posts (RPs built elsewhere) and solo posts in which you react to other posts. Any interactions between you and another PC, you must build elsewhere and then post as a JP with a notation like (A JP by Name, Name, Name, etc.). I will make threads for certain parts of the ship like Messhall and Bridge. These will not be OOC threads or outside of RP. So be aware of timing. You can't post to the Messhall thread during the same time you're posting to the Bridge. However, you may also create threads to write personal scenerios which can override that so long as you mark the timeframe. If the main storyline moves beyond that point, you can still continue since we know that thread is covering a time in the past.  Just be sure to put the main IC name prefixing your thread name.

If people are available, there may also be some IRC sessions. Actually, I may make that a requirement for bridge officers. Unless you're ok just being there in the background with the assumed compliance to the captain's orders.

HELP ME NAME STUFF!

Stuff we need to name:

• Station
  • Ship
  • Position (Quadrant, Galaxy, System, etc.)
  • Other Stuff you can think of
PM me your ideas. :) (I will edit in decided upon names as I make the decision.)

The hidden bit is not relevant at the moment. Just keeping for sentimental reasons.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Any questions, please ask here. I don't mind PMs, but I'm going to likely put the answer here anyway just in case someone else also has the same question. :)

I set it to the same amount of choices as there are choices so you can choose as many are relevant to you. You can also change your choice at any time.

MEDIUM

Just choose as many as you are even willing to try out. Actually, we could have a game containing ALL mediums. I'll have to look into it, but we can do post by post and we can also probably have a section where we can post ones created in IM/IRC/email/collaborative document, etc.

Scheduled IRC is where we either have a day of the week (or something) set up to do mass, instantaneous role playing. Or it could be where we schedule IRC sessions based on when we need do mass role playing (like bridge scenes).

Freeform IRC is where a chat room is pretty much free to enter at any time to interact with whoever else is there. Or you could create one to do a group RP. Of course you're always free to use IRC PM to build a one on one post. (Though we'll just say that'll be under Freeform IRC.)

Email and IM is where you and one or more people collaborate on a story in it's respective medium.

Post by Post happens here and I'm sure you're familiar with it. 

Collaborative Document is where you can create a document somewhere on the web, share it and you and the other(s) can edit it. It's really awesome and I hope I get to use it with some people.

SETTING

This is intended for a long-term group RP with overlapping stories or at least multiple scenarios. However, I'm not going to say you have to commit to that. You can pop in for as long as you want.

For Planetside, I think I have a very specific idea for that one. Sakaria. It'll be a newly added member of the Federation. However, the Purists are still rather upset about it and so our Fleeters have to come in to protect the colonists/tourists and help keep peace.

Generally, you can play ANYTHING on planetside. A Starfleet officer or native. As a native, you can be anything as far as profession, etc. The ratio of civilian/officer isn't really important here. Heck, we don't even NEED officers in this one. We could just say that since there's conflict, the Federation denied their membership.

I can provide more information on Sakaria if we agree to play there.

However, there can be more than one planet we can play on. :) Other planet ideas are welcome. (Original or canon) Please PM those me or keep the description brief in your initial post and I'll PM you to discuss it.

Spaceship is pretty plain jane to start out with. Civilians are ok, but the majority should contain officers. I personally don't plan to play a commanding officer. Also, we don't need much plot if people are ok with just working on personal storylines and character development.

We can NPC in some commanding officers and create conflict to give characters something to develop off of, but commanding officers aren't necessary. However, if you wish to play one, please PM me. Experience preferred, but if no experience, I will ask you write me a sample or something. :) No offense, but it does take a specialness to be able to write commanding officers. It takes an ability to write authoritatively, etc. I would even like a green commanding officer to something to add some intrigue to things as he/she gets his/her feet wet. So long as they eventually get where they need to be. :)

For a Space Station, well, we can include the first two eventually (even if we don't decide on all three at first). But it's like spaceship. However, the civilian/officer ratio is less important. Professions may be limited as just about the only civilian profession one might have is merchant or reporter.

Space could be other ships. Merchants, Maquis, other rebels, etc. Possibilities are endless here.

All Four is my personal favorite, but depending on how much interest we have, we may have to pick just one for now.

TIMELINE

I personally prefer TNG or DS9/Voyager. I've ALWAYS wanted to play Maquis. I want to say timeline is not that important, but it will be when BSing about what tools/weapons we're using or even our uniforms. In some settings, it may very well not matter.

If you choose No Star Trek, you MUST give an alternative idea. I prefer you PM me, but you can post a brief description here. Even if we don't go with it, someone can PM you about playing that idea out with you.

GENERAL

- Canon Aliens preferred (and these are going to relate to what timeline we choose). Original aliens are ok if run by me. (If we're doing a non-officer Sakaria story, NO aliens. They are a self-exclusive planet.)

- I'm not going to be a stickler for the whole military protocol of Star Fleet, but some of the stuff is common sense. We'll deal with that as we go.

- Rank, name, etc., is up to you. This is your character. You can make him/her as experienced or as green as you want. Just keep in mind to keep the behavior suited to the rank and that even cadets aren't going to be too silly. Like even a cadet knows how to lay in a course (even if it takes them a bit more time) and a Lieutenant isn't going to be going around causing silly havoc (at least not unstealthily).

- You do NOT have to interact with the rest of the players. Though it is encouraged, you are free to simply use this as a place to write about a character being involved in whatever, and of course, by doing so, you're allowing US to react (even without interacting with your character) to things you say or do. :)

- Anything goes besides anything that damages the ship or anything major like that. Want that to happen? PM me so we can plan it out. (It can still surprise the other players.) Other than that, just beware of consequences. Your character is giving tactical information to the enemy? Um, yea. That might get you more than a slap on the wrist. ;)

Ok, this is rather a huge post as it is. More to come as votes, questions and comments come in.

Also, I am perfectly fine with one on ones in Star Trek (OCs only). PM me for one on ones!
I'm just trying to get a group thing going so we can experience the depth of a whole community. :)

Alrighty. I've decided that once we get things going, there will be a thread in Group RP (Extreme for most freedom) as well as an OOC thread. You are not required to post there, but then again, what's the point if you don't? We'll use all the medium options so everyone can play no matter what their preference for that.

However. We'll do things a little differently. It will be play by post in a way, however, it won't be an interactive play by post.

Reactive solo and joint posts only. No interactive replies intended to interact with anyone within the thread. If you wish to interact with another character, please create a joint log outside the thread and once finished, you can post it in the IC thread. The thread is not for direct roleplay, you can post your character's reaction to the events going on here, but if you want to interact with other characters, please do it elsewhere (through PMs, IM, or chat-play) and then post the final transcript here.

Oops. One more thing. If you want us to make our own timeline, it'll have to be after DS9/Voyager. The latest movie won't be a factor unless you want to mess with Romulus or Vulcan. If you do, you have to remind me which was destroyed in the new timeline. LOL Either way, to reiterate, we will make the original timeline, if people want that, well after any of the series. We could say BOTH Romulus and Vulcan are destroyed that way. (Hey, revenge was had!)

Also, you'll have to help decide what new technologies, etc. are included.

And NO crossovers! No lightsabers, cylons, etc. We can make something similar, but it will look very different, using a different technology and called something completely different. If you want to pull in Star Wars, BSG, etc. technology, you've got to muddle it enough to where if I hadn't seen the show that inspired it, I'd never know.

Even if we make up our own stuff (No Star Trek option). Just for the non-ugh factor, let's change up and rename that stuff we'd love to play with. I don't mind things being an inspiration, but I'm sure we have enough imagination to twist it to something totally our own.

Quote from: dwellinthedark on July 17, 2011, 11:11:13 PM
Added my votes, I'd be open to a completely new idea, not so much interested in the colab document thing.

Also: In the new timeline, Vulcan got destroyed by the Romulans at the start of Kirk's career, in theory that should result in them having more time to evacuate Romulus before everybody there dies, but don't even get me started on that whole thing because I tend to bust a blood vessel in my eye when I think about it too long.

Oh, I don't expect many will be. Online document collaboration is really new and it's taking awhile for people to get into it. I'm not sure it'll ever take off. But that's ok.

Completely new idea as in a non-Star Trek?

LOL Well, I rather not get into any debates in this thread on that. I couldn't care less about the whole thing myself. If it's too controversial and causes too much drama, we just won't mess with those parts of the universe. :) (However you're more than welcome to take it to another forum in the site to debate your little hearts out.)

Quote from: shadowreppa on July 17, 2011, 11:50:28 PM
Is Sakarian a made up race? Im familiar with Star Trek TNG, Voyager, and Deep Space Nine, and I don't recall any race called sakarian in any of those canons.

I don't mind the civil war idea, and I do like your choice of betazoid/human idea (trying to resemble the characther of Deanna Troi eh?)

Sakaria is made up. The originator was in a game I was in and I loved his idea. When I joined another game, I took his idea and I couldn't remember all the details and I filled in with my stuff. Other people also helped.

She's NOTHING like Deanna. LOL She's a badass (or I try to make her like that).

Quote from: dwellinthedark on July 17, 2011, 11:55:23 PM
Yeah, completely new.  I don't have any ideas for it (then again, I'm a little fuzzy right now, might have something tomorrow), but if something else is come up with, I'll probably be interested.

Hahah, sorry, I wasn't trying to start an argument about it, but it's been a source of contention and nit-picking among Trekkies since pretty much 10 minutes after the first screening ended.

Oh, we can do something different. I don't have any particular ideas either at the moment. When you come up with something, please share.

And I know you weren't. Just a pre-emptive strike if anyone decided to reply to your comments.

dwellinthedark

Added my votes, I'd be open to a completely new idea, not so much interested in the colab document thing.

Also: In the new timeline, Vulcan got destroyed by the Romulans at the start of Kirk's career, in theory that should result in them having more time to evacuate Romulus before everybody there dies, but don't even get me started on that whole thing because I tend to bust a blood vessel in my eye when I think about it too long.
Chastity:  The most unnatural of the sexual perversions.  ~Aldous Huxley
Ons and Offs     Dreams and Desires

dwellinthedark

Quote from: dakabn on July 17, 2011, 11:31:13 PM
Completely new idea as in a non-Star Trek?

LOL Well, I rather not get into any debates in this thread on that. I couldn't care less about the whole thing myself. If it's too controversial and causes too much drama, we just won't mess with those parts of the universe. :) (However you're more than welcome to take it to another forum in the site to debate your little hearts out.)

Yeah, completely new.  I don't have any ideas for it(then again, I'm a little fuzzy right now, might have something tomorrow), but if something else is come up with, I'll probably be interested.

Hahah, sorry, I wasn't trying to start an argument about it, but it's been a source of contention and nit-picking among Trekkies since pretty much 10 minutes after the first screening ended.

Craz

Well, I put in my votes. I'm leaning towards IRC or IM, but that's just me. I would love to do this no matter what median you guys do this from. It's been ages since I've done any sort of sci-fi RP.

dwellinthedark

Quote from: dakabn on July 17, 2011, 11:58:47 PM
Oh, we can do something different. I don't have any particular ideas either at the moment. When you come up with something, please share.

Oh, I'm still totally down with an Enterprise or TNG game, I just wanted to say that if other people started coming up with ideas for that and voting for it I'd be good with it too.  I just didn't vote for it, cuz, y'know, I'm rusty and I'm having some trouble with primary inspiration right now. 

Hellion000

I voted for 'IM', 'Starship', and 'Not Star Trek', however... if the general consensus is Trek, I'm good for it in pretty much whatever season/show.

dwellinthedark

In my "new guy" enthusiasm I wound up committing to an awful lot of games, I think I'm going to have to drop out of this one, sorry.

Hellion000

Quote from: dwellinthedark on July 20, 2011, 04:40:52 PM
In my "new guy" enthusiasm I wound up committing to an awful lot of games, I think I'm going to have to drop out of this one, sorry.

You should drop out of something else.