On The Run Cheka Man/EvaEverHeart

Started by Cheka Man, May 11, 2022, 09:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheka Man

In the heart of the Royal Castle of Grond, the Orcish King Aegon smiled as he beheld his daughter in all her radiant beauty. She had soft yellow eyes that would darken to a deep chocolate brown whenever she felt really strongly about something, long black shoulder length hair, beautiful green skin, and wore fine clothing of red silk and fine golden jewellery, her coronet upon her head. Somehow, he doubted she would like to hear much what he was about to tell her, but affairs of state came before his daughters happiness. “Princess Helen, as you know, it is royal Orcish tradition that the King chooses who will marry his daughter. For the past few years we have been in a war with the nation of Barrthland, and even for us, there is a time when we need peace with the humans. And as part of the price of peace you are to be married off within a week to Prince Trevor. Step forward from behind my throne.”

Instead of a strong, brave healthy and good looking Orcish noble, a pale, pink skinned human walked into view. He was fat, more then twice Helen’s age, had a scar on his cheek from a scratched open bite mark, and he looked lustfully at her.

Seeing his daughter’s eyes darken to as brown as he had ever  seen them, King Aegon knew that what she was about to say would be anything but nice.

EvaEverheart

Helen had dutifully walked before her father's throne. Well, more like trampled there. For more than a few months, Orcish warlords and warriors of all kinds from so many tribes and nations had been achingly vying for her hand and attention. It was rather exciting, as each one had tested their strength against her own and there were more than a few good candidates. Even if considered not exactly handsome, or a little older, any that had come for her attention had well proven themselves capable. It was merely a notion of wittling down the list of whom she liked best.

She was rather vocal to her parents about which ones she thought would make her a good husband. Who would protect the tribe, and their family and would give her strong children. Even warriors wanted a family, and Helen was no exception. She longed to be a mother to a hoard of little warriors, and a devoted wife that would fight at the side of her husband. And if the day should come that he'd fall in battle, she would grab her ax and charge into an impossible warfare to hasten at his side in the grand halls to be with him once more. That was the love Helen had in mind, the love her mother had instilled she feel when taking a husband.

However... circumstances had now changed. The more King Aegon spoke... the more Helen's beaming and eager smile faltered at her father. The glisten of gold upon her tusks was the only brightness about her as that... PIG stepped forth from behind the throne of bones and swords her father sat upon. Those bulging rolls under his tunic gave away immediately that this man was weak, soft... and the way he looked at her caused Helen to actually snort in anger.

Those usually bright golden eyes darkened then to a near inky black cesspit. Large fists curled at her sides so tightly that the pointed claw-like nails of her hands broke the green flesh. "You... can't... be SERIOUS!" she suddenly bellowed out, looking past this UGLY filthy little human to her parents. In fact, she shoved him out of the way with the end of her ax as if he weren't there, stepping towards her father with a burning anger written in every line of her face. "I have for months been courting great warriors! Grunlock, Tarek, Mulrock, Wonred, Belfide! All FINE warriors from great families!" Blood dripped upon the floor from her palms as she sneered at Prince Trevor. "And you would marry me to this... this... PIG?! This soft-bellied pale-flesh could no sooner please a donkey as a husband, let alone ME!"

It was clear that Helen was NOT keeping secret how she felt about the arrangement. "I'll not do it! I'll not disgrace our tribe nor lay upon my back for him to hump my leg like a dog! My children - father-" she looked to her mother then, imploringly. "Mother, they would be halfbreeds! Weaklings like him! The humans would no sooner follow them or recognize as leaders than our tribe would! I would be disgraced, they would be illegitimate outcasts! Father, you're asking me to dethrone myself and our family! I would be no Queen, nothing but a glorified concubine for his lusts! AND BY ANCESTORS I WILL NOT BE A BROOD SOW TO THIS PIG!!"

Cheka Man

The royal hall was unusually crowded, not just with the normal courtiers, warriors, servants and noble Orcish ladies that were normally present, but with strong warriors of noble birth and great bravery when in battle that had come, some of them from hundreds of miles away, to seek the hand in marriage of the fair Helen. Tales both of her beauty and, equally important, of her personality had travelled far and wide through all of Grond, and representives from mountain tribes, plains tribes, cave tribes, town- based tribes and even tribes who lived a lot of the time in great ships had come to see her.
They had preformed feats of strength, and also did a lot of friendly talking with her-and listening to what she had to say.

They were fine strong warriors and whilst a few had the odd scar from a sword wound in battle, these small scars showed that these Orcs were not afraid to fight, and could win even when wounded. Amongst Orcs of all classes from royal lines down to the poorest, someone’s personality was seen as very important, indeed the most important thing in a marriage. Beauty could fade through age or battle damage but inner beauty lasted as long as the mind did. When the King was ready to make his choice, the hall fell silent. And when Prince Trevon stepped out from behind the throne of swords, bones and skulls, there was angry muttering all through it.

Apart from the King and Queen, every Orc present, be they noble or not, was horrified and felt deeply sorry for the beautiful Orcish princess who was to be given to this…this elderly, fat, ugly, human!!! Instead of a brave, noble warrior Orc who would show her love and respect, take her into battle with him during times of war and provide her with healthy Orcish babies who when they grew into children, teenagers and then full adults sharing the Orcish values-she would be shackled to this ugly, weak man who could neither satisfy her in the bedroom, nor give her Orc children. Half Orcs were looked down on by most humans and Orcs alike and could not hold senior roles in either society, and not very many wanted to date or marry them. They watched as the smile on her face turned to a scowl and then a frown, and the gorgeous yellow eyes darkened to hazel, to brown, and then went as black as ink. She snorted, and her nails cut into her skin as she was gripping her hands so hard into fists.

“You cannot be SERIOUS!!!” Her anger was clearly justified from the viewpoint of Orcs as she pointed out all the time she had spent courting and talking with great and (mostly) handsome Orc warriors. Whilst the royal Orcs were born to their role, the nobility at least partly earned theirs through bravery in battle, taking the heads of foes and other such feats. She had made a short list of the seven that she most liked and seemed the most compatible with her, yet her up until now beloved father wanted to marry her to this beast. Green blood dripped from her palms to the floor and her hands hurt.

After naming some of those she had been courting and saying how good they were, she openly called Prince Trevon a pig to his face. Turning to her mother, Queen Mellsende she pointed out that their children would be outcasts and that she would be dethroneing herself and her offspring and making herself into no more then a royal concubine.

The Queen knelt before her husband and said “See how upset you have made our daughter. You have humiliated her in front of all Orcdom. I beg you to let her choose her husband freely, it is the least you can do for her or more me.”

He answered “Sometimes even we Orcs need peace and Prince Trevon insisted on marriage to our daughter. Helen,go to your room before I send you to the dungeon instead.”

EvaEverheart

The muffled anger within the room echoed within Helen's pointed ears, her usually beaming face upturned into a menacing snarl at her father. She could not believe he would even ignore her mother's pleas for her happiness! If she were to be married to an older chief, THAT even Helen could accept, for the man would be an Orc, and a powerful warrior at that as their kind did not often see old years. An old Orc warlord she could at the very least respect, and proudly bear full-green skinned children. But this... this filthy pink fleshed pig...

"You go too far, Father!" she snapped at the King, and with a flick of her wrist, a dagger appeared in each of Helen's hands. "I would rather soon die as Orc Princess Helen of Grond than be shackled as a slave to this PIG!" Her declaration bellowed over the throne room as she pointed a blade in her father's direction. "I challenge you to combat. Either kill me where I stand or let me choose freely. I will NOT be married to this hideous fat IMP! Even for peace! Any one of these warriors present would create alliance to overthrow the humans or at least secure the borders! I will not bear his filthy halfbreed children nor be a plaything for his bedchamber!"

Yet the chance to fight King Aegon never came. For the moment her daggers were drawn and her challenge made upon the King, a swarm of guards rushed from behind to tackle the Princess to the ground. They had been warned this might well happen with Helen being so free-spirited. Before she could even make protest at least a dozen guards were upon her, binding her in shackles and gagging her as the woman was dragged away to be locked within the cells, the Orc warrior kicking up dirt and screaming all the while for her fate.

Unceremoniously, the warriors loyal to King Aegon tossed the lovely orc into the stone-walled cells, her shoulder hitting hard upon the cold ground. Her wrists struggled behind her in the bonds as the door shut to lock behind her, leaving her in darkness. For a while she screamed obsinities and curses upon those who would betray her. After a bit, she quieted, and pondered her escape. There wasn't much to see in the dim light save for a jagged stone in the dirt. It took some effort, but Helen managed to roll over onto the jagged rock on her back, pressing her bindings against it and sawing fervently at the ropes.

Bit by bit, the rock cut through the woven threads until there was enough damage that a flex of her muscled arms broke her free. She made no sound, lest she alert the guards. She steadily put her ear to the ground, closing her eyes and listening to the sounds of footfalls, for the pattern of the patrol around her cell. There seemed to only be one guard who only walked every ten minutes or so. Shuffling to the furthest wall, Helen knocked upon the stones at the bottom. Rainfall had loosened the mud between them, but she would need to move them carefully lest she collapse the whole wall and get caught again.

This was not going to be her fate. Locked in a cell or married to Prince Trevon. Grabbing a couple of rocks in each hand, Helen began to lightly chisel at the mud holding the largest stone to the others. She had to be quiet, to take her time.. if any heard her, it would be over. They would put her in irons and bind her better no doubt. It was only by luck that none came to check on her, and the patrol was none the wiser of her plans. It was well into nightfall when at last the rock loosened itself.

Excitedly, Helen dug her long nails into the edges and began to gently pull and wiggle the boulder straight out, praying all the while that the foundation would not be compromised. At last, the boulder was free, and Helen's yellow eyes peered into the darkness. She could see her tents. Most of the camp was still in the halls, she could hear the shouting of outraged bachelors at her father. Slowly, steadily, the orc princess crawled from the hole, squeezing her shoulders and hips through before at last... freedom.

Through the darkness, she ran to her tents, slipping in unnoticed as she hastily began to throw belongings into sacks. Jewels. Coin. Clothing. She rolled up her bedroll and pulled on a black fur bear cloak that she used as a blanket. Every weapon in her possession was lashed to her person. The final thing she packed in a small separate pouch... the wedding garments her mother had gifted her. Beautiful velvet and silken gown of starlight with silver armored woven on top of the bodice.

Hoisting her belongings onto her back, Helen sliced open the back of her tents, slipping out with a final look towards the fortress of her father and mother. "... Goodbye Father... Mother... One day... we shall meet again in the halls of ancestors." With her final whispers into the darkness, Helen slipped into the forest at a run, disappearing into the foliage without a trace.

Cheka Man

Not knowing any of this drama, a lone Orc by the name of Kall was looking up at the far away Castle Grond, all lit up against the night sky, and feeling a little bit sorry for himself. Once he had been the heir to his father's tribe, but he had overheard his brothers planning within their tent to have him blinded when his father died, so that one of them could take the throne. His first thoughts were either to draw his scimitar and go charging in, or to inform his father of their foul plot, but he decided to do none of these. If he went charging in like an angry yak and lost the fight, and it would be two if them against him, not only would he get himself cut down but he would look like the bad one for trying to kill his brothers.

If he won the fight and killed them both and his story was not beleaved then he could face  execution or worse, and he lacked witnesses to back his story up with evidence.

If he informed on them and was not beleaved then he would be exiled from the tribe with just his scimitar and a full water bottle, but if he was beleaved then his brothers would be blinded, and he realised that despite what they wanted to do to him, he didn't want that to happen to either of them. He would happily have seen them exiled, or thrown in a dungeon for a while, but his tribe had no dungeons and if you were caught planning a violent crime against a fellow tribal member and were found guilty, then the same thing happened to you, which in his brother's case meant the blinding iron. So he had collected up some useful items of his such as his crossbow and arrows and some bedding and a few more things and left quietly at night.

Looking up at the castle, his thoughts turned to the Princess Helen and he hoped she was happily married. Such a fine Princess, unlike in Orcish fairy tales, would surely never choose a wandering Orc like him as her loved one.

EvaEverheart

Into the night the princess fled, hoping against hope that no one would discover her gone til dawn's meal, perhaps. The forest was thick this time of year and well stocked with game. She regretted being unable to bring a mount with her, but a warg or a horse would have made too much noise and were always heavily guarded. Mount thievery was considered a crime worthy of death in her tribe.

As she had put a good bit of distance between herself and the Castle of Grond, Helen finally stopped her running to rest, allowing her body to sink down against a tree with heavy breathing. Bit by bit, Helen began to remove the pieces of gold from her tusks and neck. It would only draw attention to her from bandits and the like to try and rob her. While she caught her breath, her stomach made a loud growl, and the woman grumbled in contempt. It had been quite some time since her last meal.

Taking up her bow, Helen slowly began to slink through the trees, sniffing the air and looking for broken brambles and bushes, bent twigs and the like for game. She didn't have time to set traps, as she would need to eat and then flee. As she walked, she pulled handfuls of berries from the bushes, noticing then a set of hoofed game tracks. Perfect. They were fresh, only an hour or so old by the looks of it.

Through the darkness she stalked, yellow eyes agleam as she followed the tracks down through the sloping forests. It wasn't long before she heard the snorting of an elk. A large male. His massive antlers could be seen even in the cloak of night. Downwind of the beast, Helen crouched, readying her bow and aiming for its heart beneath its foreleg. Its pelt would make a fine blanket as well... WHOOSH, her arrow flew through the air, piercing deep into the soft flesh of her target. The beast let out a shuddering cry of agony before it fell where it stood, labored in its breathing momentarily before the life drained from his eyes.

Helen could have cheered herself! Normally such a shot would have made the creature bolt in adrenaline and she'd have to track it! Emerging from the bush, she hastened over to the creature, reaching to grasp a hold of one of its antlers with the plan of dragging it off to a more sheltered place.

Cheka Man

Kall’s stomach was starting to demand ever more firmly that it be fed, and whilst he had taken some dried venison with him he decided to save that for when he really needed it. Instead he would go hunting. Unlike the human monarchs who banned hunting for all but themselves and their closest noble friends, the Orc king was far less strict on the subject. As long as they ate all the safely edible parts of what they hunted and didn’t hunt excessively to the point that they killed too much of the wildlife, even non-noble Orcs could hunt. With a look up at the two moons in the sky, Kall unslung his crossbow and went looking for an elk. The meat from that could fill his belly and then be dried, giving him enough food for weeks. Sneaking through the trees, he saw an elk, aimed carefully and fired, watching it as it let out a cry of pain and fell to the ground.

As he came to drag it off, he saw to his surprise a good looking Orcish woman in fine silken clothing, yellow eyed, black haired, but his first thoughts were not of her beauty but with the annoying fact that she was trying to steal his supper.

“Oi!!! That’s my supper. Go and hunt your own deer, I just shot this one for myself.” Whilst he didn’t want a fight he was ready to fight for his food if he had to.

EvaEverheart

The sharp outcry from a male startled the woman. The first thoughts that flew through Helen's mind was that she'd been found by her father's guard. So soon after she'd left?! Yet as those golden eyes snapped upwards at the man, she instantly saw no mark of her father's clan upon him, making her relax... momentarily at least. Confusion swept onto her brow as the pale emerald beauty looked over the massive man stomping through the brush, her tusks glistening as she snarled at him to keep away.

"YOUR supper?! This hunt is MINE!" Lifting her leg, she stepped on the massive elk's shoulder to stake her claim. She was ready at a moment's notice to draw her daggers if she needed to, the red silk fastened over her armor always gave people the impression that she was not defended. Oh how badly that often turned for those who underestimated her. "I just shot from those bushes!"

She pointed down to the red-feathered arrow sticking up from its heart as the male drew closer to her. It seemed the woman was not afraid to fight for what she believed to be her own, and was ready to prove it should he attempt to fight. The dark of night shrouded much of this male's appearance, even as he got closer she could not quite make out what he looked like.

Cheka Man

Kall backed away a few steps, and said "If you turn that elk over you will find my arrow in the other side of it, which would make it belong to both of us. I can't force you to do that for me but I hope you do that."

He did not draw his scimitar but he was ready to do so if he had to, but he really hoped she would turn the elk over and discover his arrow. Traditionally and often in practise, a shared kill meant the meat was shared. "If you share the meat, you can keep the whole skin for yourself."

He noticed how good looking she looked, her tusks white in the moonlight, her skin a soft shade of emerald green.. But this was hardly the time to bring such a thing up to her now. If he said or did the wrong thing she might attack him. Then his stomach grumbled loudly again and he decided to turn the elk over to show her his arrow in it. His hand on the hilt of his scimitar, ready to whip it out in a second, he walked up towards the dead elk and the beautiful and, given her fine clothes, most likely noble Orc woman in front of him. He kept his eyes on her hands, in case she drew any weapons or tried to notch another arrow to her bow.

"I am willing to share but I will fight you if I have to, he warned." His own eyes, normally a light green, darkened to the colour of fine emeralds, a sign he too was getting angry at this strange woman who was a rival for his food.

EvaEverheart

The whole skin? His proposal seemed to catch her interest, though his nearing to her caused the woman to stiffen in defense and snarl at him. That was until she heard his stomach growl as loud as her own. He really... wasn't some guard sent out after her. He was just a hunter looking for food. Helen paused in her aggression towards the male, tilting her head, long wavy black hair falling around her face as she stepped away to allow him to show her proof of his kill.

"Well I'll be damned," she grunted with a huff, folding her arms as those golden eyes befell onto the male's arrow. Her eyes lightened once more, showing she was halting her aggression. Even her stance became more relaxed as the woman looked up to the towering hunter, raising her open palm to show she was not armed. "I shall take the pelt, but will grant you the antlers if you like them. They may well fit upon your shoulders for protection," she added, leaning down to pull her arrow from the dead creature.

"You made a well shot... I was curious as to why the beast did not bolt. Two arrows felled it so quickly, it had no force to flee." She spoke quite elegantly for an Orc, even somewhat polished and proper. Helen made note this man was not like usual ones... most males of her kin would demand that they shot first and if she wanted to share a meal, she'd also have to share his bed. Yet this one readily offered, even sweetened the deal. Was he cowardly? Or was he simply too tired and hungry to pick a fight?

Likely the latter... he seemed willing to fight, but did not wish to. As she looked up and saw him closely in the light of the two moons, a feint blush came to the lass' high cheeks. In Orc terms... this male was considered a well-blessed man in terms of looks. Large tusks protruding from a finely shaped jawline, thick hair and a broad and muscled frame that was like a mountain to climb. Various scars told her that he was unafraid to fight, and that he had survived even with injuries. He was strong, and skilled at that if his hunting was any indication. She found herself looking him over a little too long. Clearing her throat, she set about attempting to hoist the dead beast over her shoulder.

"I do not yet have a camp set. Have you seen anywhere suitable where we might sup and take shelter for the night? At least what remains of it..."

Cheka Man

(OOC-My main computer works again which makes it easier to type then on an Ipad.)

He pulled his own arrow from the body and backed away a little to give her some space. Especially when male and female Orcs who didn't know each other at all met in a situation like this,not getting too close was important. If an Orc girl or woman thought that she was about to be attacked, raped or worse, they would fight back as hard as they could, and it was the same with fellow Orcs as it was with humans. That was what their culture taught them from when they were old enough to know about that sort of thing. Once they got to know each other and were on speaking terms, space was not quite so much an issue. A look into her yellow eyes showed that if she was indeed angry, she was hiding it well. His own eyes were back to their normal light green. Her accent when she spoke was clearly that of a noble Orc. He noted her green cheeks darken a little but decided to say nothing about it. Noone liked being embarassed, by they Orc or human, and he wanted to stay on good terms with her.

She certainly looked good, now he could look at her closely. The dress of red silk that she wore was one of the kind worn by noble Orcish women, her hair was perfectly clean, and her skin was a pure emerald green whilst his was a slightly darker shade of green, as was normal with male Orcs. She looked more then good-in Orc terms, she was a true beauty. Now was still not the time to compliment her on her looks though, as it might make her think he was going to demand something sexual. When she asked him "I do not yet have a camp set. Have you seen anywhere suitable where we might sup and take shelter for the night? At least what remains of it..." he said, I have a smallish cave half a mile from here. You can share it if you like and sit nearer the cave mouth from me so you don't feel trapped. My name is Kall. And yours is?"

Most likely, he thought, they would go their separate ways in a day or two. They didn't know each other well at all, and why would a beautiful Orcish woman of that quality, and with that dress riches  as well, want to have anything to do with him?"

EvaEverheart

Little by little, the orcish princess was forcing herself to relax. This man was a hunter, not a guard swarming after her. Perhaps it would be well to stay with him this night... she'd be vulnerable and exposed alone. With the anger seemingly to have diminished between them, and an agreement settled upon, Helen relaxed her form with her arms crossed over her chest, giving a nod to the wanderer. He was at the very least respectful of her space, and he showed no signs of pouncing her or insinuating she share his bedroll. "Kall? Tis a good name for a fine hunter," she commented, fingers grasping her own chin as she pondered in thought of his offer.

"He-" She began to say her name and radically changed the vowels as they left her lips. "-la... I am Hela..." she stated, clearing her throat with a blush before hastily reverting the conversation. "A cave would do well. If you will take care of our hunt, I will gather wood and find a suitable stone to cook upon-" she commented, already beginning to move from the carcass to allow Kall to handle. She was not picking up scrawny twigs and limbs, no, she was hoisting and breaking apart thick logs with her bare hands as she followed where he led, tying a good sized bundle onto her back.

Cheka Man

When she clammed up about who she was, he didn't press the matter. Most likely, she was an orc woman who just happened to have the same name as the famous Orc Princess Helen of Grond. It was not banned to use the first name of a member of Orcish royalty, although the family name of Grond was jealously guarded. As to why she was a little stand-offish, she didn't trust him fully yet, and maybe she had foes of her own too that she didn't want to talk about, or she'd committed some serious crime that could lose her a hand or even her life. He showed her to the cave, and then he sat down within it, drew an Orcish blade and carefully cut the skin from the elk before giving it to the Orc woman who would rather not share her name, his green eyes much better at seeing in the dark then human eyes were. "Here you go. Once you've prepared it, that will be a good blanket for you unless you would rather make a cloak out of it."

He had some private thoughts about her that he thought a good idea to keep to himself. She would be a good girlfriend, but if I was to say that aloud she would either leave on the spot or most likely want to fight me.

EvaEverheart

Upon arrival at the cave, Helen said nothing further to herself for quite some time. She stayed guarded towards the entrance as she began to build a small stone circle for the fire, even taking some twine of sturdied vines and making a spit to hang over the flames to cook the meat. Would be much easier than a stone. As she struck her flints against one another to light the wood, her eyes kept casting to the hunter as he so flawlessly seamed the pelt from the meat. He presented her with the fine thick fur, and Helen could not withhold the smile of gratitude.

"It is a fine gift. Are you certain you would not rather keep it to give to your woman?" she asked. Any male, at least in her mind, who was so careful around a female, was either already married or she had caused him some sort of terror. The Orcish princess was at least attempting to have some semblance of normality and not be so... obviously secretive and suspicious.

With the beast gutted and cleaned, Helen hoisted the animal to tie it by its hooves to the pole extending over the fire that would help it cook. From within her satchel, she withdrew an apple, splitting it in half and offering it to her new companion. He had shown her gracious hospitality in sharing his shelter, she could at least share her fruit with him. "Have you walked these lands long, Kall? Perhaps you would know the quickest ways to the borderlands? I'm leaving Grond, and would rather do so sooner than later."

Cheka Man

(OOC-In RL my bath and my bed are calling me. :) )

"I'm single-because the human soldiers from  Barrthland killed my wife in the last great battle. Tina was her name. She was beautiful, capable at everything she did, and everything I could want in a woman, and now she lies six feet underground with her axe and a few grave goods for the Otherworld. And you are a woman worthy of this gift. I have another skin of my own, one of the things I took with me. Thank you for the apple, I finished my own fruit yesterday." He crunched into it with relish. "You know, some stupid humans think we only eat meat. Don't get me wrong, meat is really tasty but I'd get sick in the long term if I just had meat to eat. Of course not all humans are like that-and I'm not an outright human-hater-but many of them have no idea about us Orcs. They think we raid all the time, except when we are whipping slaves. Heh! We are like onions-we have layers. Have you ever wanted to just punch some human in the head because of what he said?" He finished the apple and let out a loud burp. "Oh, sorry, I should have answered your question quicker. There are three main routes out of here. One, the main path through the Wargtooth Mountains, leads to  Barrthland. I don't know the details, but I heard a rumour that a peace treaty will soon be signed to end the war and the border will be opened for trade again, the sooner the better. Then we have another that leads past the Mirrormere lakes and the Barrow Downs to Kuboloth, twistier and not so often traveled. And then we have the southern route to the Wall. East of here is the Purple Sea just two days walk away, but a berth on a ship is expensive. Where would you like to go?"

EvaEverheart

Helen did a double-take of surprise to know a male his age had already married... and her heart ached for him to know that his mate had been taken from her in her prime. It was not right, and no wonder he wandered alone. Sometimes Orcs grieved themselves to death or left their homelands to seek vengeance or to escape the memory if they could not die in battle alongside their beloved. Believed or not, Orcs were a very emotional people, everything they did, they did with the whole of their beings. "... I see your sorrow," she stated, an Orc way of saying she felt for his loss.

She looked to the pelt then, the fur hanging high above the smoke wafting from the fire. The smoke would tan the hide well. "Hmph, I have well wanted to rip the head off of humans for what they say... or tear out the eyes of one in particular who looked at me like..." She shuddered at the memory of Trevon looking at her with such lust in his gaze. It almost put her off her meal. "I had to leave hastily... so the pelt will be a welcome covering in my travels," she admitted to him, beginning to open up.

Helen laughed a bit at his burp, listening to his routes. "Hmph, I wish to stay far from Barrthland... I would not put stock in the rumor for a peace treaty and open borders," she stated rather bluntly, an anger in her eyes flickering for a moment as she stared into the fire. "Princess Helen has been betrothed to the pig-... what's his name, the human Prince Trevon I believe. Anyone who knows King Aegon's daughter knows she won't stand for that.." she stated with a snort, thinking over the other two options. "Hmmm... either t Kuboloth or the Purple Sea... there may well be other lands across the waves yet unexplored by our kin, it would be interesting to see them."

Cheka Man

"She and I got split up in the battle that led to her death, and I didn't see her go down, or I would have just left the ranks and fought all alone until I was sent to join her. I have no real desire to go to Barrthland either." When he heard the news about Princess Helen being betrothed to the human prince, he let out a deep snort. "Whilst I have never been lucky enough to see the Princess, I can't see her being at all willing to marry a human. I saw the Prince riding with his escort of human soldiers towards Castle Grond, and even if he had been born an Orc, she wouldn't have wanted that fat old man. Parents should love their children, not force such unwanted matches upon them. Whilst there are a few human-Orc pairings that have genuinely worked out well, for me and I'm sure for most of us, it just does not work out. They are weak compared to us, that and we have been fighting so long that it just would not work out. I hope Helen manages to escape, even if she has to be a fugitive running for her life, it would be better then being an unwilling bride."

"Kuboloth is allright, as long as one does not get caught raiding there, as their laws are strict. Across the Purple Sea, it is said, are island chains and vast Empires, some of which are xenophobic, but some of which will welcome any human or Orc who is healthy and not a troublemaker, and have reasonable jobs with reasonable pay rates for them both in their armies and in civilian life. Perhaps crossing the Purple Sea is the way to go, but it's expensive for landspeople like us. Would you like me to travel with you? Two Orcs are stronger then one against bandits and other such dangers of the road."

Of course, Kall had no idea that the woman with him had enough money and jewels to make it easy to pay the fee. Her golden tusk-coverings alone would pay for a long sea-crossing with a decent cabin. Such things were only worn by royals and the upper Orcish nobility because of how expensive they were to make.

EvaEverheart

Helen did not know if she could endure such heartbreak as to lose a husband in battle. Much less to not know until the battle was over that her spouse was dead and there was no honorable way to join them. She could assume they hadn't yet had any little ones, as no man of the Orc would leave his young behind with the mother dead. "I have not yet known the happiness of marriage, nor the heartache you have endured," she spoke, taking a swig from a water flask as she turned the meat over on the spit. "My father was meant to pick a man for me, but... I have grave disliking for those he chose," she vaguely spoke of the truth, grinding her teeth a little at the thought.

It amused her though to think that this man sat before the very woman he claimed he'd never seen, or been lucky to know. "Unwilling is putting it lightly. I fully expect her to burn her father's kingdom to the ground, if not Barrthland as well... unless they throw her into a cell of course and she has to, as you stated, become a fugitive." She gave a quirked smile of the corner of her lip. "Aye! Better to be living in exile than to become a broodsow of illegitimate heirs for that pig Trevon!" she slammed her hand on her knee before taking another drink of water.

Helen took note of the differing lands, her eyes shifting between the cooking meat and her ... well, rather handsome host for the evening. There was a genuine surprise upon her features though as he offered to travel with her. Those golden eyes widened as the emerald of her skin glistened in the firelight. "Hmm... there is sense in what you say. There are certain dangers a female does face in traveling alone.. it might well suit me to have a marksman like yourself along." Not to mention the fact that being on the run, her father and his guards would be looking for a lone female... not a female and a male traveling together.

"Very well. I would have you travel with me," she spoke as decisive as a noble, as if now that the subject was broached, he could not withdraw his offer. "Though there are ground rules I will establish. Not to insult the memory of your dear wife, may her battles in hereafter speak of her glory, but I am aware of your stare, Kall. Just because we're traveling together does not give you leave to attempt to share my bed. Secondly, for ... reasons... if anyone asks how long we have been traveling together, I would be obliged if you would say over a year or so. Not to get into detail, but... you well deserve to know I am on the run from my tribe. If I am found and caught, you are not obliged to come to my defense, I won't be killed by them, though if you do... and are successful... I will pay you. Is this agreeable?"

Cheka Man

When the Orc woman revealed herself to be a supporter of the escaped Princess Helen of Grond, Kall raised his own water flask in a salute. "A toast to Princess Helen of Grond-may she forever escape being a forced concubine to that ugly Prince Trevon. And the same to you, since your family wanted to marry you off to someone you don't love or even like. Parents should respect their daughter's wishes for who they want to marry. I will respect your wishes. I won't try and share your bed, or force kisses on you. You must be on the run because your family went to the Tribal Court and raised the hue and cry over the marriage refusal. I'm in self imposed exile because my brothers decided to force me out so one of them could become the Tribal Chief when my father died. I could have fought back but they are my brothers. I didn't want to kill them or to subject them to the blinding iron if I won, as we used to be on very good terms. So I left in the night. I agree to help you out as best as I can."

That night, after they had eaten all they wanted to Kall put the fire out with a soft hiss  by pouring some water on it, telling Helen that it was so the light would not give them away to anyone looking for them, and he gave Helen a wide berth so she would not think he was going to try and share her bed.

In the morning, by which time they had moved on a bit, the guards discovered, not a helplessly bound and gagged princess ready to be carried in a closed litter, but ropes, a gag, and the signs of an escape. "Your Majesty, Princess Helen has escaped!"

"Have everybody search the castle for her. The castle servant who captures her will be made an honorary noble, and if a noble is the one who catches her he or she will be given gold and a rank raise." For an hour everywhere from the dungeons to the topmost turrets of  Castle Grond were searched, and then mounted warg units were sent out to try and find the royal escapee to drag her back to give her to Prince Trevon.

Meanwhile Kall told Helen "We need to go along mountain tracks and through streams to break our scent trail in case wargs are after us. The further we get away from your tribe the better. If we stay here they are likely to track you down." He was determined to protect the emerald beauty from capture, even though she had not even told him her name.

EvaEverheart

Helen flushed a little bit in her cheeks as Kall unknowingly toasted her. However, it brought a smile to her tusked lips to hear his support and favor of such. "Your support is appreciated, Kall... my mother attempted to dissuade my father from the arrangement, but even she could not change his mind." She looked down at her food as they ate of the meat, leaving it to be smoked most of the night so they could take it with them. "I do not know if it is greed that drives my father or ... or if he is simply doing what he felt was right." She pondered those thoughts as a guilt began to set in. A guilt of leaving her people in an uncertain outcome of war.

As he spoke of his own exile, her brow lifted in curiosity. "Wait... you are... a Chieftan's son?!" There was genuine surprise upon her face, though as she thought about it... it spoke volumes of sense now of his manners towards her. "... Perhaps one day then, Kall, I might help you regain your rightful place."

As they slept that night, Helen curled towards the mouth of the cave, her thoughts wandered over many reasonings of leaving and staying. Was running away the answer for either of them? Were they cowards for running? Or were they brave to seek their own lives and save their skins and spare their people the bloodshed? Perhaps she would discuss it with Kall in the morning... she should tell him her real name... but could she trust he would not turn her in?

With the rising of the sun, Helen was already wakened and fresh from her slumber, carving up the meat from the elk as she packed away the pelt and gear. It was not long before they left the camp to move out, the pair now a good ways from Castle Grond, nearing the borders of the mountains. "Likely," she said to his comment of the wargs, pulling her pack more securely around her body. "We should attain a pair of mounts ourselves at some point, would make the travel a lot faster. I only hope they don't discover I'm gone for a while more..."

Helen walked a little behind the towering male, chewing on her lip as she fought her conscience. Should she tell him the truth or not? It was late morning when the sounds of horns bellowed across the lands, and Helen froze in her tracks as she heard the sound. A curse flew from her lips as her head whipped back towards castle Grond, raven hair shimmering down her shoulders. "We have to move! NOW!" she stated in a hurried cry, suddenly grabbing Kall's hand and pulling him into a full run. "Where's the nearest river?! Thats the Warg Rider call! They've mounted for a hunt!" And she was the prey.

Cheka Man

"Yes, I am the eldest son of Chief Uttar of the Xamarg tribe. "

The next morning they heard the horn call of a warg patrol and she asked him where the nearest river was.

"The Nine, just half a mile away. The good news is that the nearest bridge is ten times further away and if we can swim through it it's very unlikely that they'll send the wargs in after us-or that the wargs would agree to go. Our stuff will get wet, but it'll dry in the sun." Wargs were brave in battle for the most part, and normally very loyal to any good owner who treated them well, but they had a limit. They would go up against anyone who was fleeing, and even those armed with swords who stood their ground, but they would not charge spear-armed units, or jump into rushing waters. If they thought death was certain or near certain, they would refuse to put themselves in such danger except to save their cubs. "The bad news is that we might get drowned or swept over a waterfall. The Nine is an unforgiving river, but it's better then a forced wedding to some coward or some extremely old and ugly Orc which must be what your family want for you." They could hear the horns and the loud barks of the wargs. Whilst they wouldn't eat the Princess alive-the wargs knew her personally-they and their riders could easily prevent their escape.

The two went racing on, his hand in hers, until they reached the rushing rapids of the River Nine. Kall tightened his backpack straps. "Tighten your backpack, as if it gets washed off you won't find it again. Good thing it's not winter. Are you ready to jump? I will happily jump with you rather then face those hungry wargs and their riders."

EvaEverheart

Her heart pounded against her ribcage as they ran, legs flying in long strides as their boots stamped themselves deep into the earth as the fleeing pair headed towards the rivers. Now she had a choice to make... an unforgiving river and a possible death, or a slow death being married to Prince Trevon.

The river. Definitely the river. Her hand tightened into Kall's as they ran, the woman impressed that one of his bulk and size could actually keep up! At the edge of the river, Helen hastily began tightening her straps, hearing the wargs in the distance howling as they were tracking her scent. "You had better be right of this, Kall of Xamarg," the orcish warrior spoke as she looked to the river.. backed away... and then ran to jump into it.

She felt the cool waters surround her body, dragging her under the rapids with the weight of her armor and cloth before the force of her kicking legs pushed her to the surface once more. A large gasp of air filled her lungs momentarily as she floundered and was pulled back under, being swept away down the river. Her head bobbed up and down in the rapids as she fought to keep her nose and mouth above the surface, her body hitting a rock now and then. Up ahead was a large tree that had fallen over the river halfway, and Helen knew that had to be her chance.

With all her strength as she approached, she propelled her legs to kick herself up out of the water, powerful hands gripping down onto the bark as the water threatened to try and pull her back in. Gritting her teeth, Helen tugged and scrambled and pulled herself up onto the trunk, laying face down on the massive tree, huffing for air and exhaustion. Suddenly she sat up, thighs tightening to straddle the tree as she hastily and desperately searched over the rapids for Kall! If he was headed towards her, she could help catch him and drag him onto the tree! "KAAAAALL!" she bellowed out his name over the rapids, golden eyes worriedly looking around as the drenched woman searched for her companion.

Cheka Man

(OOC-In RL my bed calls me but I'll do one more rp bit before I have a few hours of much needed sleep.)

IC-Kall took a deep breath and jumped in, preferring the dangers of the river to being chewed up by wargs, or at least being arrested for helping a fugitive escape. He didn't hit any rocks on the way in, but it took all his strength to swim after the Orcish woman and not get swept away or, worse still, sucked under. He watched her get to the shore first and drag herself out, her dress sticking tight to her body and showing off her figure very nicely. "KAAAAALL! He managed to get close enough to grab her hand, and let her pull him out. A human woman would most likely have got pulled in instead, but Orc women were as strong as their menfolk, which was why in most cases they were largely seen as equal and in the majority of cases could choose their own romantic partners-with exceptions when it came to royalty and nobility.

Laughing, Kall stuck both fingers up at the wargs in a very rude orcish gesture. "There are a lot of them and there is a human too on horseback, an ugly fat fellow. That's...that's Prince Trevon! Why would he get involved in some orcish tribal spat? Unless...well, we had better get out of here before they reach the bridge." He wondered if this was indeed the famous Princess Helen, well known for her intelligence, her physical beauty, and her dedication to the important Orcish values. True, she was not wearing her crown and fine jewelery if it was her, but she would want to hide that from bandits, thieves and whoever was after her or would snitch on her.

He waggled his bottom in Prince Trevon and then decided they had better get out of here and quickly. "Let's go. We need to buy or steal mounts of our own. Oh and...thank you for pulling me out of there." As long as it remained warm Orcs, unlike humans, could let wet clothes dry on their bodies without getting sick as a result.

EvaEverheart

Helen facepalmed at Kall's antics of mooning the Prince, even if he had a fine body, this was not the time! "Yeah... that's the Prince alright," she stated from her hiding place beneath the trees, looking up the cliffs at the warg hunters. Soaked to the bone it felt like, the Orcish woman took the male's hand and tugged him along with her, her eyes darkened to a deep brown, almost black from her anger at them having found and caught up so soon.

"They shouldn't have been able to track me so quickly... I should have put pepper in the wargs food last night," she grumbled as the two hastened through the trails. She knew she couldn't keep the truth from Kall much longer, he would figure it out eventually. He wasn't stupid or dimwitted. Handsome, yes, but not a himbo. Their pace and direction took the two towards an active mine, men of all kinds working the rock and stone quarry. Stopping outside its borders, the Orcish woman turned the male traveling with her, stopping him and looking to him rather seriously.

She was somewhat dried now, though the silks over her armor were still dripping water as was her hair. "Kall.. before we go any further together... you deserve the truth of the matter." Taking a deep breath, she slowly exhaled, squaring her shoulders. "I am Princess Helen of Grond. King Aegon is attempting to force me to marry Prince Trevon, that was true. I was thrown in prison last night for challenging my father's decision. I escaped and now we're here."

Looking away for a moment towards the mines, her eyes pinpointed some strong mounts that could carry Orcs like them. "... If you wish to wash your hands of me, I understand. We only just met and you will likely be killed if we are caught. They may well think you're a suitor or lover I'm running off with. I can purchase you a mount, so you can get as far away as possible, but I am going to the Purple Sea, where they are less likely to follow... I hate to leave my  people in such turmoil... but they are strong. I cannot be a sow to that Pig, the disgrace of being such, I'd never look myself in the mirror again, nor stand to mother those children... killing them would be a kindness," she grumbled before finally looking him back in the face.

Cheka Man

Kall saw the Orcish girl's eyes briefly darken when she saw Prince Trevon, from yellow to hazel to a deep chocolate brown, and she answered "Yeah... that's the Prince alright. "They shouldn't have been able to track me so quickly... I should have put pepper in the wargs food last night," she said as she took his hand and pulled him along. The wargs and their riders headed off meanwhile looking for a bridge. As they started getting close to an active mine, she told him "Kall.. before we go any further together... you deserve the truth of the matter." Taking a deep breath, she slowly exhaled, squaring her shoulders. "I am Princess Helen of Grond. King Aegon is attempting to force me to marry Prince Trevon, that was true. I was thrown in prison last night for challenging my father's decision. I escaped and now we're here."

He looked to make sure they were not being watched, then gave her a quick but low bow. Orcs bowed to very few but they did to their own royalty. No wonder she was so beautiful and capable at everything that she had done so far. This was Princess Helen of Grond standing in front of him-just not wearing her golden jewelry-and she was under threat of being forced to marry Prince Trevon, and forced perhaps to bear him children. He decided that he now had a noble Quest to go on. He would stay with her, protect her, and even die for her if he really had to.

If you wish to wash your hands of me, I understand. We only just met and you will likely be killed if we are caught. They may well think you're a suitor or lover I'm running off with. I can purchase you a mount, so you can get as far away as possible, but I am going to the Purple Sea, where they are less likely to follow... I hate to leave my  people in such turmoil... but they are strong. I cannot be a sow to that Pig, the disgrace of being such, I'd never look myself in the mirror again, nor stand to mother those children... killing them would be a kindness," she said.

"I want to stay with you and take the chance of getting caught. You are the Royal Princess of Grond, and it was not as if I was doing anything important, exciting or particularly enjoyable before we met. And if I do end up getting executed I will meet my beloved Tina on the other side. One strong Orcish horse could carry us both, or for maximum speed you are most likely wealthy enough to buy two horses and still be able to afford to cross the Purple Sea. You have more chance of getting away safely if I stay with you," he replied.

At the mines, a couple of guards were busy playing chess right next to the horses, and a couple of wargs in their own enclouser. Wargs, sadly in this case, would not accept new owners, but horses certainly did. These ones were Grondian Timberhorses, bred to carry Orcs, with extra-strong backs so that to them an Orc was no heavier then a human was to an average horse.