Modern Dark Fantasy - [EX]

Started by Atlus, July 04, 2009, 05:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlus

Why extreme? Because I don't like knowing how a story ends before cracking the spine. What I propose is a no limits game. No ons and offs, no nada. Only the site rules and what the characters would do will be the guideline. I would like a no limits game or collaborative story in which everyone makes a character, we establish the setting, and then we see where we land. Extreme things might not even occur, or it might be one giant gore fest. It might be humorous in tone or dark, all the characters might live or everyone might need to create a new character before we hit page three. There will be as much or as little sex as the story demands. Who's with me?

I tend not to play the system games but this sort of thing demands a certain level of absolute arbitration. If two people both want their characters to come out on top in a conflict there needs to be a way to determine who wins. I'm open to suggestion on this front. The simpler the solution the better. I'm also open with regard to the setting/genre. I eagerly await your suggestions.
How profound such profanity can be.

<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=16848.0" target="_blank">Ons and Offs</a>

OldSchoolGamer

What kind of genre and topics would you want this story to explore?

Atlus

I've not a clue on topic. That would come down to what characters people made. I was hoping to find people that were interested in such a game and then discuss. Currently my picks for setting are modern, cyberpunk, and sword and sorcery (by sword and sorcery I don't mean any particular brand of magic + swords, just a general concept).

<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=16848.0" target="_blank">Ons and Offs</a>

AKunoichi

Quote from: Atlus on July 04, 2009, 07:30:43 PM
I've not a clue on topic. That would come down to what characters people made. I was hoping to find people that were interested in such a game and then discuss. Currently my picks for setting are modern, cyberpunk, and sword and sorcery (by sword and sorcery I don't mean any particular brand of magic + swords, just a general concept).

I'd be up for fantasy.

Playing the daughter of a war god and a love goddess who wanders the planes looking for random sex and exciting battles.

Atlus

I'd like to nail down the details of the setting before we hit character creation. Also, I'm hoping for something more story centric than random sex and exciting battles.

Atlus

I'm still open to suggestion but I'm starting to lean towards modern dark fantasy. There is still plenty of room within that category for wiggle though. The source of magic, are there non humans, etc. Keep the thoughts coming guys (and gals).

Darkpoet

I'd be interested in joining, especially a fantasy setting.

I've been having a dry spell in terms of settings for a while now, but I do have a couple old ideas that could be adapted. 

For something fantasy, I think a "world the Gods have forgotten" concept would be interesting.  Something along the lines of: Gods of some world create it as a prison plane, and then lose interest for whatever reason.  Eventually, it forms its own source of magic, and basically an entire separate plane comes into existence from the original people that had been sent there  Eventually, some beings would take notice of the world again (Gods/Goddesses, Devils, Angels, etc.) and would soon be competing for power on that world...and would have to compete with whatever mortals had come to power there. 

HairyHeretic

Are you familiar with the old Ravenloft D&D setting? An adaptation of that might be something along the lines of what you're suggesting.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Darkpoet

I've read things set in Ravenloft, but I've never played anything in it.  I always feel more comfortable saying I'm "familiar" with a setting after playing at least one game in it. 

HairyHeretic

Never played in it myself, just remember it from reading Dragon for years. :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Darkpoet

It certainly has the "dark fantasy" part down as far as settings go. 

Atlus

Quote from: Darkpoet on July 05, 2009, 01:44:57 PM
I'd be interested in joining, especially a fantasy setting.

I've been having a dry spell in terms of settings for a while now, but I do have a couple old ideas that could be adapted. 

For something fantasy, I think a "world the Gods have forgotten" concept would be interesting.  Something along the lines of: Gods of some world create it as a prison plane, and then lose interest for whatever reason.  Eventually, it forms its own source of magic, and basically an entire separate plane comes into existence from the original people that had been sent there  Eventually, some beings would take notice of the world again (Gods/Goddesses, Devils, Angels, etc.) and would soon be competing for power on that world...and would have to compete with whatever mortals had come to power there.

I'm liking this concept. It's similar to some concepts I've been playing around with in my own writing but different enough to make everything new again. As far as Ravenloft goes, I've heard of it but I'm completely unfamiliar with the details. Also, while I've played DnD several times in the past I'm really not versed enough to run a game (not to mention I don't have a ravenloft book). If it's the kind of thing where not everyone needs a book and someone else can run the numbers then I'm game.

GabrielM

I might be interested then again I am interested in almost any thing -smiles-

LadyDiscord

Sounds chaotic. So a mix of dark fantasy, cyberpunk and the like. Reminds me of Luis Royo type thing. I'd be interested.
Join my village and make money.
✔✦✘

Atlus

QuoteCurrently my picks for setting are modern, cyberpunk, and sword and sorcery (by sword and sorcery I don't mean any particular brand of magic + swords, just a general concept).
I actually meant this to be more of a list of possible ideas then one long description. Though now that you mention it a blending of these elements could be a lot of fun. I'm really liking where this is heading.
And now I must look over my Royo collection (books, not the original paintings) for inspiration.

LadyDiscord

Well I'm glad I could be of service and I'm even more glad that you knew who I was talking about because this actually put me in the mind of him. Imagine all the possibilities if you could blend all these particular elements.
✔✦✘

Darkpoet

I really like the concept.  I haven't spent too much time in cyberpunk land, but just the sheer number of characters that could come out of a blend of those two settings is fantastic. 

GabrielM

Cyber Punk is most always dark and can have magic and the likes in it. So maybe a city that at night is a totally different place because the night has been taken over by the underground.
Maybe a story were all the characters live two lives much like the story Penny Dreadful.

LadyDiscord

I think I'll go look at some Royo shots to, but the underground idea sounds nice.
✔✦✘

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Atlus on July 04, 2009, 05:03:36 PM
Why extreme? Because I don't like knowing how a story ends before cracking the spine. What I propose is a no limits game. No ons and offs, no nada. Only the site rules and what the characters would do will be the guideline. I would like a no limits game or collaborative story in which everyone makes a character, we establish the setting, and then we see where we land. Extreme things might not even occur, or it might be one giant gore fest. It might be humorous in tone or dark, all the characters might live or everyone might need to create a new character before we hit page three. There will be as much or as little sex as the story demands. Who's with me?

I tend not to play the system games but this sort of thing demands a certain level of absolute arbitration. If two people both want their characters to come out on top in a conflict there needs to be a way to determine who wins. I'm open to suggestion on this front. The simpler the solution the better. I'm also open with regard to the setting/genre. I eagerly await your suggestions.
I wholeheartedly support that idea ;D!

Now, whether I will join, depends on the setting, system and genre you decide to use, so I haven't decided it yet. But I'll make sure to follow this thread, and if I'm interested in what you want to play, I can write a character real fast!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Indigo

Quote from: LadyDiscord on July 05, 2009, 06:49:15 PM
Sounds chaotic. So a mix of dark fantasy, cyberpunk and the like. Reminds me of Luis Royo type thing. I'd be interested.

Mmm, an very good base to start building an RP from...for then all manner of things can occur, and/or be. Add to that the structure it would need so that it could have a solid 'system' to rule it, and you have something that could be rather interesting.

...underground sewars that lead to cathedrals, where cisterns and soaring, fungus riddled, rusting steel girders rule.  Tall, spindly towers that house commerce of both mundane and dark variety. 

If there are 'gods/demons' or Whomever created and abandon the place, then have come back, they would be  met by a fantastical plethora of beings who far exceeded even their imagination and ability to create.  A love/hate relationship, and of course, conflict galore.

/just a brainstorm

LadyDiscord

✔✦✘

OldSchoolGamer

Here's an alternate take on the whole world within a world thing:

Out in the country, there's this stretch of fens and forest known as The Outwoods.  It's uninhabited, and from the air doesn't appear remarkable in any way.  Locals, however, have a slightly different perspective.  It's known that people tend to get lost in the Outwoods.  Compasses act rather queerly, and there's an area of four or five square miles where they just spin lazily around and are of no use at all. 

Cell services get erratic near the edge of the Outwoods, and within, there's no coverage.  Around the edges, you might get a radio station from two states away, but not the FM station six miles away.  Or nothing at all, especially once inside.

Locals avoid the area, as it has a bad reputation, though no one really knows why.  Rumors abound.  However, there ARE those who know more about the Outwoods.than the general public.  There was the woman who wandered into the Outwoods, and came out scratched, bruised...and pregnant.  The birth was...severely deformed, and currently is  enbalmed in a large jar at the state university in a secret location...

Indigo

...or both!

The 'outworld' which is also it's own world, where caverns are great, jewel encrusted domains and really, nothing is what it seems...wicked, haunted trees where the roots lead to elaborate labyrinths and traps, and intelligent fauna try to consume the unwary tresspasser....and of course...those much darker, seeking to ravish those not from the 'outland', so that their seed might spread beyond the shadow where they reside.  Also perhaps 'attacks' from the outworld, where people are stolen, or houses destroyed, as the 'outworld/forest' seeks to gain more of a foothold.  Of course, the city or village dwellers are hard veterans of this, and well verse on how to 'stay off' such episodes.

So then...you have a superstitious city, or village, even if technologically advanced, superstition still rules, but tech is king! Innate magic some can do, along with good, technical savvy, yet due to the  'outworld' and the deep, massive magic and technology there which the 'villagers' can never hope to match, but are intrigued, lured...or repelled by it.

/another brainstorm

OldSchoolGamer

I think we're getting warmer here.  Maybe I'll try mapping some of this ouit, write a little backstory.