News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Mass Effect

Started by Destiny Ascension, September 16, 2008, 12:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destiny Ascension

Theres a bit of Star Wars ish stuff in it, but I found most of it was simply similar to Star Wars, no real comparisons. Some stuff was definitely similar, but alot of Sci-Fi games/movies/shows are the same in context, just different names for the same stuff.
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

Canuckian

Yeah, this had a lot of shout-outs to most sci-fi shows and movies over the years.  I enjoyed those touches.

And yes.  Yes you must play this game now.

Inkidu

I like the voice acting it's so damn good.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Avi

As other people have alluded to, the last few hours, no matter what "ending" you get, is easily on par with some of the best narrative climaxes I've seen in any entertainment medium, video games or otherwise.  Somehow, this thing has franchise written all over it.  And the voice acting, like Inkidu said, is spot on.  Saren, in particular, is just AWESOME.  Best villain I've seen in years.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Canuckian

Personally, I got spoiled by the conversation system.  I'll never be able to go back to text-based entries ever again :)

Inkidu

I liked the system things weren't so cut-and-dry. You know when you say "Shut up" your character would say, "Here's another Earth saying: Go to hell." that was freaking awesome. I know where you're coming from Canuckian, I've not been able to play KotOR or Jade Empire. To much reading.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Canuckian

Even more than that, I've been watching preview vids for Fallout 3 (never played an FO game before) and I enjoyed it right up to the text-entry.  Then it came crashing down and hard :)

Inkidu

I know unless it's a Zelda or Mario game I don't want to read, It's V/O or a silent protagonist. Sigh.

Destiny Ascension

Quote from: Canuckian on September 16, 2008, 04:21:21 PM
Personally, I got spoiled by the conversation system.  I'll never be able to go back to text-based entries ever again :)

^ This!

;D
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."

ZK

^.^ It's an awesome system. No more silent protagonist!
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Revolverman

I cant wait untill you can talk for your player in video games

KG

Waitaminute, waitaminute.
They're going to make it a longer series?
Are you kidding? D: <
Learn a lesson from literature - the Wheel of Time series, for one.  Started as a trilogy, ended fairly excellently, was an awesome book - and then he wrote a dozen more.
Also known as Dragon Ball Syndrome by those not too ashamed to admit familiarity - taking eight shows to charge an attack does not a dramatic show make.
If something is set up for a certain length, there's probably a reason for it.  Let it die, and it will be remembered with live.  Drag it out and it's as sad as someone on life support.

Sorry.
/angrynerdrant. 

ZK

It's called "EA wants money".

They bought out Bioware and want Mass Effect to be a continuous series.

Why not just release the trilogy and then make an MMO? There.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Revolverman

Quote from: ZK on September 18, 2008, 12:12:30 AM
It's called "EA wants money".

They bought out Bioware and want Mass Effect to be a continuous series.

Why not just release the trilogy and then make an MMO? There.

thats exactly what they are doing to KOTOR

magnamos

Quote from: KG on September 17, 2008, 08:33:35 PM
Waitaminute, waitaminute.
They're going to make it a longer series?
Are you kidding? D: <
Learn a lesson from literature - the Wheel of Time series, for one.  Started as a trilogy, ended fairly excellently, was an awesome book - and then he wrote a dozen more.
Also known as Dragon Ball Syndrome by those not too ashamed to admit familiarity - taking eight shows to charge an attack does not a dramatic show make.
If something is set up for a certain length, there's probably a reason for it.  Let it die, and it will be remembered with live.  Drag it out and it's as sad as someone on life support.

Sorry.
/angrynerdrant. 

Besides there charging position usually looks ridicolous like it would suit other bodyfunctions more. Especially those which involve the disposal of digested nourishment. Nevermind.

Luckily not all followup of famous products are bad. As long as you don't overdo it like the Tomb Raider Series there can something good. I'm actually looking forward to Mass Effect 2.

Destiny Ascension

EA's also good at the "out before the game is finished" thing thats going around. But Mass Effect is still good, but it does have bugs. Like, especially, with the graphics. Where most things look amazing, most of the clothes and several textures are pretty bad looking in comparison to everything else. But thats not an issue.

Mass Effect 2-3 will be great, its just something you can tell. If you make a great impression with the first game, things will only get better, seeing as they shouldn't need time to render and develope most of the character models(seeing as I don't see the turians, salarians and asari changing much over the time the games take place) and enviroment models will be notably easier to work on, since they have a lot of basic stuff, and just need to add whats necessary. The only daunting part, it would seem, is developing and selling an equal or better story from the first game, which might actually be difficult. The first storyline from Game 1 was amazing. Everything fit perfectly with each clue given, for the most part, and everything ran smooth, so as long as you paid medium attention to what was said, you could learn everything necessary.

The 2nd game will really have to be extrodonary, since Mass Effect definitely won't win the great looking game catagory(I believe that does, and likely will for a while, belong to Crysis, and the sequals) and they did say that Mass Effect "redefined the character and story aspect of video gaming", so Mass Effect 2 will have to really usher out something amazing.

Not only that, but going to an MMO would be, in my mind, a bad move. Most MMO's are stained, not by the game, but by the community. And if the games are any kind of good, they'd be pay to play, which I don't, and likely won't, have the budget to fork out(Though, Mass Effect has a likely large enough fan base to keep it cheap) but like usual, EA would charge more than necessary, for a game thats not finished, and I can't see it being good. I would definitely welcome an MMO, or at least an online aspect. Something along the lines of a TDM, DM, CTF and Co-op element would be a HUGE step in the right direction(Including the create a character aspect, but widened to cover other species.) and could easily thrust Mass Effect beyond just great story telling and characters, gameplay and graphics, and maybe put it as the best RPG-Shooter made.(I'd say it already holds that title, cause I can't think of any better games that fit the RPG-Shooter description.)

magnamos

Having an Online Mode for Mass Effect that's basicly a combination of Halo and Diablo would indeed be full of Win. Sounds really good to me. Hopefully someone who has something to say regarding the development of Mass Effect 2 has the same Idea. It would be a real addition.

There is only the danger that bringing it down to the more shooter aspects for Multiplayer ruins your fun in Singleplayer, making it only a better Doom 2. I hope they find a way to keep the balance if there ever should be a Multiplayer mode. I already see it getting the Size of a Tribes 2. You got the Mako and all and it would be great to have it even enhanced, more vehicles. I remember many burned out Vehicles that were no Makos or apperantly different Versions of the Mako along the rode in the "Driving-Levels" of Mass Effect. Give them different capabilities, make them Multiplayer and go :)

There would be a new Multiplayeroption. Two or more teams race in there Makos (which are enhanced of course to give the Player a more Race-Car like feeling) to the last Shuttle on the whole Planet, followed by an extremly ugly and hughe Threshwormthingie. They can of course sabotage each other with the Mako's cannon. Besides King of the Hill Gamemode would have a whole different Meaning with the Mako on the Map :D

Avi

Stupid question alert... what's the point of replaying the game with a character?  You start out with all your equpiment from when you beat it the first time, so won't that make the whole game ridiculously easy?

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on September 18, 2008, 06:34:00 PM
Stupid question alert... what's the point of replaying the game with a character?  You start out with all your equpiment from when you beat it the first time, so won't that make the whole game ridiculously easy?
I think it's for harder difficulties. I've never actually tried it on anything but normal.

Avi

So, they just up the difficulty?  There are no special items or anything that you can access on your second time through? 

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on September 18, 2008, 06:53:27 PM
So, they just up the difficulty?  There are no special items or anything that you can access on your second time through? 
Well you have to up the difficulty. I don't know if you start with all your money you might be able to buy the specter gear. Kickass by the way.

Avi

Ohhhh, I see.  Well, that's something I may do, then.  Lol.

Canuckian

That's the idea.  It also lets you level-grind your character up to unimaginable character levels :)

Avi

Hehe, cool.  So you replay basically to get better equipment on a higher difficulty to get them to some ridiculously high experience level? Lol.  Sounds like a plan.

Inkidu

Yeah there's like a power player achievement. You get if for leveling up to certain high points. Oh and the extended service achievement.