News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Netflix... streaming from the computer to the tv?

Started by auroraChloe, November 07, 2009, 02:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auroraChloe

is it possible for an average layman to set this up? 

it is just under 16' between the computer and the telly.

please, please, please.... Dexter awaits. 

a/a 8/21/17

Dizzi

You can get a cable to link them up and use your T.V. as a second monitor.  htne just full screen it and BAM

auroraChloe

did i say 'average layman' ?    :-[

what kind of cable? (CAT5 or audio/video or ?) 
... and where do i stick the thing?

a/a 8/21/17

Dizzi

MasterMischief

auroraChloe

a/a 8/21/17

auroraChloe

a/a 8/21/17

MasterMischief

Morven

What kind of cable depends on what connectors the TV has and what connectors the computer has.  Is it a HD television, or a standard 4:3 one?
NaNo word count: 50,180 (done with NaNo, but not with the story ...)
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences

auroraChloe

the tv is HD.  an older big screen, honking corner model. 

it's S cable hook up, audio/video,  ..........  i will look for the book. 

a/a 8/21/17

Morven

Most computers don't have S-video outs, unfortunately.  No HDMI on the TV?  A shame.

If your computer has a composite video out and audio out, you can probably buy a cable that converts that to S-video fairly easily.  If all it has is VGA or DVI, probably converter box time.
NaNo word count: 50,180 (done with NaNo, but not with the story ...)
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences

auroraChloe

thank you, Morven.  i will decipher the plugs n such on the tv. 

Dexter Morgan is in my future............     *pitter patter* 

a/a 8/21/17

Oniya

I know that such cables exist, because my ex-roommate would sometimes use our big TV as a second monitor when we had D&D nights (he'd put visual aids up on the TV).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

MercyfulFate

I use it through my XBox, but with just a computer you'd probably have to hook up the monitor and sound to the TV.