WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

I'm waiting to hear what the story is with the new Konor campaign. If my FLGS starts something up for that, I might hop into it.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

wander

Me too. I'm near finished with a 50 Power Point list and I'm sure the Konor campaign may do something similar. My local store haven't heard anything new on it, though it shouldn't be too long to hear about it, seeing as it's supposed to be a summer campaign. May creep up in August...

The Death Guard List, Patrol Detachment, 50 Power Points (3 command points)

HQ;
Typhus (9 PPs)

Elite;
Noxious Blightbringer (4 PPs)

Troops;
7x Plague Marines (9 PPs)
5x Plague Marines (7 PPs)
10x Poxwalkers (3 PPs)

Fast Attack;
Chaos Rhino (4 PPs)
Chaos Rhino (4 PPs)

Heavy Support;
Chaos Predator (10 PPs)

May swing out Typhus for a Plaguecaster instead, which allows me to bump up the 7man Plague Marine squad to a 10man one, more models then for objective based games, however my Poxwalkers would lose out on teh buffs.

I could also remove one Rhino and use the PPs to upgrade the Blightbringer to a Helbrute, which costs 8 PPs. The Helbrute is more useful than the more situational Blightbringer, though the army mobility goes down some. Also less models, which makes it harder for objective missions.

Lastly, for sheer eliteyness, I could remove the Blightbringer and one Rhino, have both Plague Marine squads at 7 men and then use the remaining Power Points to swap the Predator out for a Defiler. Though I feel I may be putting all my eggs in one big Distraction Carnifex basket with that comp.

HairyHeretic

If your opponents are too worried about WYSIWYG, see if you can get a look at the Forgeworld book. There's a lot of cool relic stuff in there you could easily port in (Predators, Dreadnoughts etc)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

Heh, true... Though I don't think I'm up to mortgaging my arm for a single model just yet... Plus I think my army list is elitey enough. My mate did a list for 50 power points with his Tau and had around 45 models in it. My list is barely scratching 30.

There is some really cool stuff on Forgeworld though. I'd wonder if Necrosius would be worth taking, though he doesn't seem to have a model in-stock.

Currently pondering on something that would make a decent hammer for melee in the list.

Death Guard's choices are slim.
The Helbrute is alright, though somewhat expensive (8 Power), Possessed are very meh for 6 Power... I get more wounds and better Toughness from a Chaos Spa- those we do not name. For the same Power as Possessed I can get three of the gribblies (S5 T5 W4x3 ADx3) though I can't put them in a Rhino (no infantry keyword, they have Beast instead) and they have a 7" move with no ranged attacks.

The Blightbringer is a mere S4 T5 W4 A3 dood with a plasma pistol and his bell is S4 0ap 2D. He can ride in a Rhino with others though and he can buff Death Guard keyword holders (everything in the army) by letting them roll 2d6 to Advance and pick the highest. Which is decent for when targets pull back out of melee and need chasing back again (because Plague Marines are slooooow). Just not too good of a hitstick.

So far the best hitsticks I have are the Tanks and whilst the Rhinos are built well enough to slam into melee and survive a round for the occupants to swarm out for a charge the following turn, the Predator is there for shooting at high T stuff 4' away with it's two Lascannons and using it's Havoc Launcher or Predator Autocannon to make squads cry.

TheLaughingOne

Ebay. i got 2 sets of Tempestus scions for price of one, 10 of the prospero space marines mark 3 armor (with all the weapons, bits, and bobs) for about 20, and a ton of other assorted pieces for pretty damn cheap.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

TheLaughingOne

Ok... having trouble with this find.. so are therr actually part models for dark eldar incubi..? I want to get some of the klaives and demiklaives for a ordos xenos inquisitors crusaders/guardians or something...
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

HairyHeretic

Looking at the models, you're probably talking 2 part metal / failcast resin (body and hands/weapons separate). Most of the bits sites seem to just do plastic box set bits, so I don't think you'd have much luck there. Some of the 3rd part sites do various hand weapons and polearms, but I've never seen any that quite look like the klaives. Maybe something like these could be convertable

http://maxmini.eu/conversion-bits/melee-weapons-shields/bioswords-bits

https://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=90

http://www.kromlech.eu/data/gallery/krcb018stygiantwohandedweapons(1).jpg

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

I'd add if going into a Geedub store for your gaming, they don't take kindly to 3rd party model parts, though they seem cool with greenstuff sculpted bits added onto a Citadel model.

However, if you go to a gaming club not held instore or game round your mate's place, Hairy's suggestions are golden.  :-)

My current 50 Power League Detachment (Outrider, 4 CPs)

HQ
Typhus (9)

Elite
Helbrute (8)

Troops
7 P.Marines (9)
7 P.Marines (9)
10 Poxwalkers (3)

Fast Attack
Chaos Rhino (4)
Chaos Rhino (4)
2x Chaos Spawn (4)

I could trade Typhus for a Malignant Plaguecaster and the 2nd Rhino for a Noxious Blightbringer, which allows me to take a 20-man Poxwalker blob, good for hordes, though they'd be slower getting up field into charge range (which is bad as they don't have guns and are T3 without Typhus). Why not Cultists? Because whilst Poxwalkers are melee only, they do get a superior 5+ FNP rule, which is better than the normal 6+ save cultists get (which ap can also nullify); their armour's crap. Though cultists can have ranged weapons (autoguns <_<), it's eh...

Thing is mobs, especially stuff like Orks. You need a good blob to counter da Boyz and a neat firing platoon of Cultists is cool, though they die easy. Going full melee with Poxwalkers, the fear is having them outnumbered (though they get 2 attacks each, yay). Also once over 10, they don't fit in a Rhino and need a Blightbringer nearby to help them advance (though they do gain their -1 Ld bubble for whittling down blobs). Also Typhus really buffs them (to S4 and T4 and his Nurgle's Gift power doles out mortal wounds), making him kinda compulsory. *wander is undecided*

Concerns are mass-shooting (Not sure what to sacrifice to get more Plague Marines, as I'm lax to spend Power on Cultists when Poxwalkers cost the same)...

I think the Helbrute and special weapons on the P.Marines and Rhino(s) cover me for anti-tank options... Though I could trade the Spawn (I like them as they make good bodyguards on the cheap) and 2nd Rhino to get a 2nd Helbrute.

greenknight

It depends on the store. I've been in one that frowned on my out of production models corrupting their tables (mostly old rhinos and metal terminators of their supplied 25s.) Strangely, no complaints about my Ravenwing with metal land speeders. But it was only that store.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

wander

Interesting about the out of production models, I figured they'd be okay with them as they're still Citadel (though yeah, I do see them totally trying to get you to buy the 'cooler looking' modern versions).

They'd probably throw up about me using guardsmen models as 'counts as' for chaos cultists... Shock horror also; I haven't even painted those. ^^;

greenknight

Quote from: wander on June 30, 2017, 04:02:31 PM
Interesting about the out of production models, I figured they'd be okay with them as they're still Citadel (though yeah, I do see them totally trying to get you to buy the 'cooler looking' modern versions).

They'd probably throw up about me using guardsmen models as 'counts as' for chaos cultists... Shock horror also; I haven't even painted those. ^^;
It was just the one shop and I was accused of not using real terminators and they were on the wrong bases.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

HairyHeretic

Sounds like someone being a bit of an ass.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

Without context, I'd guess they were probably a young staff member who hadn't seen the older models.

Funny, as whilst I wasn't around for '80s era 40K, they don't seem to have changed much since the mid-90s when I first got into the hobby. I guess maybe scaling is different though, most models are bigger these days.

Though yeah, assy tactic.

HairyHeretic

I have models in my armies that are older than a few people I play against  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

The Konor Campaign starts on the 29th of this month apparently.

Still doesn't seem to be any word on what points or Power the campaign is made around, though there was a line on Warhammer Community that any models you bring go to the points of the force they belong to as a whole...

I'd hate to just bring a 500-1000pt force and face like 3000pts of Ultramarines with Girlyman leading...

wander

Codexs are on the way, with 10 planned to arrive by the end of the year.

We should be getting around two books a month, with Space Marines as the first (it's been noted the Angel chapters and Space Wolves will be seperate releases and won't need this codex) release. Supposedly then at the end of the month Chaos Space Marines will be released (however apparently there seems to be mention of CSMs being detailed in the faction sub-rules of the Space Marine codex also, maybe a stop-gap until the CSM codex release?).

Death Guard will have their own codex and it will be out after the Grey Knights. I'm guessing the first pair will be out this month (won't be surprised if the Space Marine codex gets announced in Geedub's updated preorders tomorrow for a release a fortnight from now), with Grey Knights and Death Guard getting August releases.

Codexes will not only have army-specific strategems, they'll also have army-specific tactical objectives with their warlord traits, relics and psychic powers.

wander

So, played some 8th edition 40K today;

I ran Death Guard though as it was 500pts I went with Cultists instead of Poxwalkers. As such, advancing was barely touched on as it stops your doods from shooting unless they have Assault weapons. I kept my main force back to objective camp and used the strategy of a Distraction Chaos Rhino loaded with 10 cultists with pistols and blades.

Weapons are super tough in this edition, I expected the Rhino to go up in smoke very early though it survived the whole game, even though it did lose half it's wounds.

Psychic Phase is super simple and fun, it's just like AoS and I luckily didn't Perils once. Smite is super amazing, rolled an 11 and rolled enough wounds to take out a Pirahna that was tearing my Plague Marines apart. Another Smite finished off the enemy commander, at 5+ on 2d6 and it doing mortal wounds, it's worth having.

The revised Str and Tgh table made a difference, things felt tougher to shoot against and more tanky, than the paper-thin insta-killable things back in 7th edition. AP was a bit of a horror show, though I feel it was mostly deserved and made heavier weapons feel more powerful than just being like '2s to wound and no save' like a lot was before.

Assault was fun and it was possible to combo fights, after killing a unit by shooting into melee with pistols, that left my cultists free to then charge straight into the next unit nearby to keep their melee string going. Dedicated Assault Mobs are going to be scary for sure.

Morale hurt when I lost some tests, though it feel natural when I did lose guys. It wasn't that often and it was more a few cultists bugged out after taking a fair few casualties one turn.

Also, the game was close!
I felt for a moment in Turn 2 that I was gonna get wrecked, though when it came to my turn again I felt I had options to get back under control. I barely used my Command Points, I actually forgot about them for the first two turns entirely, so maybe I could saved one or two of my armour saves when I failed them, though that's on me.

Overall, it's still 40K, just smoother to play, weapons and toughness feel realistic given what your models have and things seemed to move smoother and it always seemed there were options and things were more balanced in feel. I was happy to play and can't wait for my next game.

;D

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

Neat.  :-)

So is anyone playing the Konor campaign? In the store I go to in the 1st week Chaos just managed to hold the line against the Imperium (I believe it was 65% in their favour) though that didn't stop an overall worldwide victory to the Empire.

Haven't checked how my store did in the 2nd week yet, though I see the Imperium doing super good due to the push of Primaris and their codex rules helping them out right now.

Mortarion and Typhus have been unvealed now, though I don't see the DG codex being out before the Konor campaign finishes. Unless they do a week 6 big event, with Rowboat and Mortarion fighting on the last world.

HairyHeretic

I'd like to, but my nearest GW store is about 2.5 hours away ... not really practical.

Getting the new Chaos dex now ought to help a bit (hopefully). I'm toying with the idea of painting up the Primaris marines I got as yet another new chaos force, Alpha Legion this time around.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

Yeah, I hear it's out next weekend. Doesn't cover Thousand Sons or Death Guard as they'll have their own codexs.

Alpha Legion has a neat warlord trait and seems pretty fluffy. Hope it works out for you.  :-)

As for myself I'm hoping for a plastic Plague Marine box of 10, because buying 3 clip ones for a tenner is pretty shite in my eyes. 10 of them in plastic (with decent weapon options) for £25 I'd be fine with. Still, I suppose I could get the 3 boxes for the blight launchers if the plastic kit is lax with them.

How you finding 8th so far?

HairyHeretic

I believe it's out tomorrow :)

Given the new plastic plague marines in all the intro stuff, I'll be surprised if we don't see a few new sets of them, along the same lines as the Primaris starter / later released kits. TBH I think what we really need is a new standard CSM box set. How old is that set now? 3rd ed? 4th? Produce that, and booster kits of heads / weapons / shoulder pads for the different cult / legion forces, and you'd be on a winner.

I haven't actually got any games of 8th in yet, but the ones I've watched looked decent.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

Agreed, the one vanilla CSM squad needs an upgrade for weapon options at least. I feel that if their entry in the codex can take an amount of specific weapons, they should be in the box with them right? I don't mind paying an extra fiver to arm them as my army list says they are! ^^;

I've got in two games at present. It's way smoother and just less cheesy than 7th became. I'm worried at present on the Chapter Approved new rule for Troops getting Objective Secured, no matter what enemy models are nearby. I can see a lot of lists capitalising on that, nothing stopping a mob of 40 Ork Boyz camping on objectives and with their Ld buff, they're a pretty broken thing to shift.

Assault is great now though and a viable option if you have something to get your doods in close. Vehicles also don't pop in Turn 1 and feel like they're armoured tanks now, which is also nice.

CopperLily

Quote from: wander on August 11, 2017, 01:03:42 PM
It's way smoother and just less cheesy than 7th became.

I can't really read this with a straight face while "Guilleman surrounded by Razorbacks" is a serious and functional build.

My local store is doing to Konor thing - I think Chaos's biggest problem is actually the Xenos armies. There's very few of them, fluff-wise, that benefit more from Chaos rather than the Imperium carrying the day, and most of the local players, at least in my area, are acting like it.

So Imperium vs. Xenos matches are "Whoever wins, Chaos loses"

wander

Well, I see 40k working best at 1500pts, so Rowboat and a tank entourage becomes a tougher thing to do at that level. Rowboat is a tough nut to crack, though there are counters for tanks up the wazzoo now in 8th. Objective Secured on all armies now will probably quell that too, as Troops gain more importance.

So week 2 results at my store show Imperium/Chaos had a 50/50 split and no Xeno forces won at all. There were only a few xenos sides in week 1 that won. It's pretty interesting that whilst there's no massive swing at my store, Chaos are holding the line and would be winning the campaign technically where I am.