News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Grand Theft Auto 4

Started by Sabby, March 18, 2008, 07:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

April 29th.

Yep, its only 10 weeks away! ^_^ I have mine preordered, and if theres a midnight sale, I am so there. I do think a lot of the previews and such are a bit overkill. Rockstar is always so tight lipped, but we've seen how many hands on in the past five months? o.O and a new trailer due as well.

Oh well, that won't ruin it for me. From what I've read the brawling and fist fighting have been ramped up a lot, and the shooting doesn't suck a big load like every other GTA game. Plus the nice new Euphoria ragdolliness will be showing for the first time. Real excited ^_^

MagicalPen

Not to mention this game takes place in New York City, albeit one that goes by another name.

I'll be getting it to. First though is picking up a copy of Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 today for the PS3. GTA will most likely be the next game I pick up.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Sabby

I adore the new Wanted Level system. Now the cops don't magically know exactly where you are at all times and converge on that area. They need to see you, and if you can get out of their line of sight, they will search the area you were last seen at. If your spotted, their search will move there. And being able to put your hands up and surrender, only to run like hell just as your getting cuffed will no doubt result in more then one hilarious escape.

The first thing I'm doing is getting blind wasted drunk and stumbling around.

MagicalPen

I imagine getting drunk will be similar to Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion when you drink too much...though in GTA it'll give a whole new meaning to DUI and trying to fire a weapon while intoxicated...

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Sabby

Actually, the new physics have you stagger and lose balance. A preview even descriibed your guy trying to get to his taxi, moving to place his hand on the car, slipping and banging his head on it and rolling into the gutter. Theres also a few seconds of footage of a companion staggering and falling. Looks very real :)

Sabby

It is now April 27th. 2 days to go :) its gotten a perfect 10 at IGN.

MagicalPen

Still the 26th for those of us in the states!

I plan on stopping by on tuesday during lunch break to get it!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Sabby

Ok, its been 2 months. Whats everyone think? :)

I'm happy ^^ not disapointed in the least. Plot is well written and the characters are performed just as well, and some of the missions are just so good you commit suicide before they're over just so you can try again. The action is good enough to stand on its own, gun fights are some of the best I've seen, and the car damaging is, without a doubt, fantastic.

MagicalPen

Agreed. Only complaint would be a Little John (the Jamaican Drug Dealer) mission...take the drugs to the orange dot, but no one shows up, and orange dot doesnt go away even after the time expires.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Sabby

Sounds to me like a glitch.

I just can't say enough about the car damaging. Its soooo good ^^ the glass shatters if you roll onto the roof, it gets scrapes, it loses its shineyness over time, it dents... as someone was speeding towards me, I just fired at it with my shotgun, and it careened and hit a wall. When I went to inspect it, the driver was dead with his head on the wheel (sounding off the horn) there was a few big patches of bullet holes on the front, there were a few bullet holes in the cracked windscreen that had blood on the inside, and the part that had hit the wall had crumpled inwards.

By far, its the most realistic part of the game.

Cosmo_ac

I think it's a good game, and i've only gotten maybe a querter of the way, but i do have some complaints.

1.  Cars are too touchy. I like how the cars can take lots of damage in the game, i love how they look,i love how you can shoot straight ahead in a car(though i admit it's a bit of a bitch to drive and fire at the same time), i love how you can shoot a persons head through the window and kill them, but i can;t stand how most cars are so touchy when driving them.  I have a hell of a time playing missions where i have to chase somebody down, partially because it's so hard to make corners, and partially cause it's such a bitch to shoot and drive at the same time.

2.  Music.  Normally i can't wait to hear the music in a GTA game.  It's one of the things they are so well known for.  And yet, i found so far, every radio station sucked.  Almost all of the music i had never heard before, and almost none of it i enjoyed.  The talk show hosts didn't sound bad, but i was too busy trying to find amusic station that didn't suck to listen to it much.

3.  Number of outlets.  Maybe its because i didn't get very far in the game, but the number of stores, gunshops, garages, Pay & Sprays and save locations was absolutely horrible.  I would have to travel huge distances, going from one end of the city to the other to go to a gun shop.  This is helped a little later by befriending Little Jacob, but still, they had almost nothing for the rest.

4.  Limited weapons.  I simply thought the number of weapons in this game should have been more.

5.  No Lazlo.  Now, once again, this could be because of how far i've progressed in the game, but i have neither seen, or heard anything in the way of Lazlo.  'm going to be very disapointed if he's not in this game.

Sabby

Lazlo HOSTS the Integrity radio station :P switch over. He's hilarious.

Also, for driving, switch to first person and avoid handbreaking. Use stalling (letting the throttle off) and quick reverses to go around corners. I had no trouble with races and chases when I do it that way.

I LOVE the radio. I take a Taxi just so I can sit back and listen as I travel. WKTT is a favourite, along with Vladivoski FM.

Avi

Hmm... so, I'm seriously considering purchasing this game tomorrow.  I have not played any of the previous games in the series, though many of the things people described have me intrigued.  Especially getting Niko drunk and trying to get from point A to point B. :P  At any rate, I assume it's worth getting, right?  I know about all the controversy surrounding the series, is any of it really merited?

On another note, I've been playing the Bourne Conspiracy lately.  Best... stress-reliever... ever. :D
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Sabby

Of all the games that have come out in the last few months, if your to buy only one, its GTA4. Go spend 60 bucks on something like Bourne Conspiracy and its over in a few plays, but GTA4 is guna last you a long time. It took me 40 plus hours to finish the story missions, and I'm doing it a second time, and I'll probably try a third time after that, because even though I've done all the missions... they're just fun.

The dynamic ragdoll has never been used in a game before, so it was an interesting change and I'm looking forward to seeing more of that. Things like enemies holding their chests and staggering backwards when you shoot them, or falling down stairs, or trying to jack a speeding car and getting dragged along behind it is common place stuff. Its ecspecially fun during missions. Shooting your target in the leg as he sprints and watching him trip and collide with a car head first, making a bloody dent in the side and setting off its alarm is pretty damn cool.

As far as the controversy goes, don't pay any heed to it >.> its idiocy on a 'severed head chicken' level. There were a few missions I had trouble playing (I do NOT enjoy slapping a woman bound and gagged to a chair) but aside that, most of them are shoot outs and chase scenes, and they pretty fun.

Definitely get it. Gameplay is great, plot is better then most of what comes out of hollywood, plenty of replay value.

Inkidu

I thought the most enjoyable mission was the Old-School bank robbery. I failed it a the end like four times so I could play it again.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Take my advice. Once you leave the subway, go back in. Run through Hobo Town to freedom.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabbat on July 14, 2008, 08:34:51 PM
Take my advice. Once you leave the subway, go back in. Run through Hobo Town to freedom.
Oh I've beaten the game. I just enjoyed that mission so much I failed it on purpose ;D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Avi

Inkidu

He fell through his own helicopter blades. XD

Sabby

"GODAMNIT Roman, I don't want to go bowling with you!"

Avi

"Now's my cue to come from nowhere... with a SHOTGUN... and blow the FUCK outta you!" 

Avi

The great Benbuja returns with a second bloopers video! XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cMmNBrCCqw

Inkidu

You think the guy would have heard the helicopter coming but no.