What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Beorning on July 28, 2016, 03:34:42 PM
Other sad example is one PiS MP, who recently made a post on her Facebook account claiming that Francis urged people to "defend the Cross, not the Crescent" and to "help people in need in their current place of residence". Seriously, how bigoted you have to be to hear the Pope say one thing and understand it as something completely opposite..?  :-(

Not so much bigoted as having a very strange link between what the ears hear and the brain interprets... That or controlling the masses is still a very good way to get what you want done, even if it means twisting words as much as possible...
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on July 28, 2016, 03:34:42 PM
News from back here right now are all about World Youth Days.

It's hard for me to comment on this event, not being a Christian... Although I must say it's saddening to see how Pope Francis' words are being twisted by the supposedly-Catholic people from our current government. The Pope, after arriving to Poland for the WYD celebrations, has openly urged the Catholics to give aid and hospitality to migrants and refugees. The reactions? Well, for instance, our PM - when asked about the Pope's words - has said that, of course, we're all for giving aid to the refugees... meaning, the refugees from Ukraine (BTW. that is a blatant lie, as there are almost no Ukrainian refugees registered in Poland and, according to the media, quite a lot of Ukrainians are being *denied* asylum these days). Of course, Francis was not talking about *these* refugees, but our government prefers to claim otherwise and pretend that there's no discrepancy between Francis' care for Middle-Eastern migrants and this administration's absolute veto on letting any people from Middle East in.

Other sad example is one PiS MP, who recently made a post on her Facebook account claiming that Francis urged people to "defend the Cross, not the Crescent" and to "help people in need in their current place of residence". Seriously, how bigoted you have to be to hear the Pope say one thing and understand it as something completely opposite..?  :-(

As a Christian I want to go ahead and Delcare the PIS to be acting in Heresy :P

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

This is one of those moments where the faith doesn't really matter, and its just the person/party/etc using it as a false justification to do whatever they want and as a shield if anyone speaks up against them. And as a result everyone suffers more for it.

TaintedAndDelish

There are accusations going around that Sanders supports are being blocked from getting into the democratic national convention and that in sections where Sanders supports are to sit, they have some sort of white noise machines in place drown out their voices.

https://youtu.be/srC1nJDJZlE

Renegade Vile

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on July 28, 2016, 09:00:53 PM
There are accusations going around that Sanders supports are being blocked from getting into the democratic national convention and that in sections where Sanders supports are to sit, they have some sort of white noise machines in place drown out their voices.

If even half the stuff people say they're doing to bar Sanders and his supporters is true, then I have no idea how one can have any faith left in the American version of democracy.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Renegade Vile on July 29, 2016, 02:23:05 AM
If even half the stuff people say they're doing to bar Sanders and his supporters is true, then I have no idea how one can have any faith left in the American version of democracy.
We have faith in Democracy. Just not in our political parties.

Beguile's Mistress

Vekseid

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on July 28, 2016, 09:00:53 PM

That does not look like a white noise machine - especially not one capable out drowning out a hundred angry adults. If you look at 10 minutes in you see them placed every other set of seats across the room.

TaintedAndDelish

Yeah, I felt pretty stupid after posting that. It could have been a lot of different things. The woman in the video claims that they weren't there the day before, but again, it's just her assumption.

Vekseid

Courtesy Reddit, it's a bitching wifi antenna. Over $1k a pop. Nice gear, that.

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Lustful Bride

Quote from: la dame en noir on July 30, 2016, 09:50:18 PM

North Korea declared war on the US...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/07/28/north-korea-united-states-relations/87659264/

What's going happen? Nuclear War?

North Korea's weapons are a joke. South Korea all on their own could take them out. The only thing to be wary of is how China reacts.

But would they really step in for a mad dog like NK? *sits and watches*

North Korean Plans

But seriously they throw a tantrum all the time, until they actually fire off a shot im not too worried.

TheGlyphstone

Strictly speaking, all NK did was claim that the US has 'declared war' on them by insulting Glorious Leader with sanctions. So it's literally the same babble they've been spouting for decades.

Lustful Bride

So, After School Satan Clubs are a thing now :P
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/an-after-school-satan-club-could-be-coming-to-your-kid%e2%80%99s-elementary-school/ar-BBv3xzp?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

I can't wait for Satanists to start going to church during their Teen Rebellion phase and dressing modestly and such to stick it to their parents. :P

If the rapture does indeed happen or whatever I just want everyone to know I will try and rescue you all. If I'm let into heaven that is. If not Il be part of the resistance and happily help you all fight the demon hordes.

TheGlyphstone

The Satanic Temple are the best trolls ever. I love hearing about their antics.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 31, 2016, 12:44:21 AM
The Satanic Temple are the best trolls ever. I love hearing about their antics.

They sometimes make me laugh but usually i wanna flip them off as I pass by.

Oniya

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 31, 2016, 12:32:55 AM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/an-after-school-satan-club-could-be-coming-to-your-kid%e2%80%99s-elementary-school/ar-BBv3xzp?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

I can't wait for Satanists to start going to church during their Teen Rebellion phase and dressing modestly and such to stick it to their parents. :P

If the rapture does indeed happen or whatever I just want everyone to know I will try and rescue you all. If I'm let into heaven that is. If not Il be part of the resistance and happily help you all fight the demon hordes.

90% of my wardrobe is black t-shirts.  90% of Little Oni's wardrobe is bright colors.  'Nuff said.  XD
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TaintedAndDelish

Funny, on TST's website, they claim to differ from the LaVeyan Satanism, stating that LaVey's group is atheistic but supernaturalist.  The video that they display on the afterschool satan website, looks very supernatural to me. No, there's no "magic" in it, but it looks like something more suitable for Halloween and for an older crowd. It's kind of contrary to their talk about being rational and all. I would question how central these sort of theatrics are to their religion.

Quote from: http://thesatanictemple.com/faq"Further, while LaVeyan Satanism is atheistic — in that it rejects the notion that Satan is a conscious entity — it is still supernaturalist. TST does not forward supernatural theories of the universe and finds little value in LaVeyan edicts such as those that instruct one to “acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires."

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on July 31, 2016, 02:07:43 AMIt's kind of contrary to their talk about being rational and all. I would question how central these sort of theatrics are to their religion.

I think its a distant 3rd to rationality and mirroring the Christian abuses of the 1st amendment to force lawmaker's hands and ensure it is fulfilled.

Lustful Bride

Whether they actually believe in Satan or not, that's their prerogative. If they want to keep worshipping in their spiritual, or not, way than that is up to them. They are in a free country and all :P

In other news (which I'm happy to see)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/muslims-go-to-catholic-mass-across-france-to-show-solidarity/ar-BBv4iCY?ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Muslims and Catholics working together to heal old wounds.

RedRose

Yup, that was nice. Unfortunately several Muslims got attacked today, including near where the priest got killed. It's endless. Now there are cops or soldiers in front of synagogues, churches and mosques. As well as touristic places and symbolic places.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Lustful Bride

Quote from: RedRose on July 31, 2016, 04:33:22 PM
Now there are cops or soldiers in front of synagogues, churches and mosques. As well as touristic places and symbolic places.

Order must be maintained somehow. Though at least all groups are getting protection, and its not just one group.

gaggedLouise

After school - midnight school! Here's the soundtrack!  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofamFBk92Pk

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

AmberStarfire

Renegade Vile

Quote from: AmberStarfire on August 01, 2016, 06:59:07 AM
There's a lot of truth in this article:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/careers/easier-access-to-university-has-devalued-degrees-created-huge-debt-and-made-some-feel-like-failures/news-story/fab0ca689eb920620d9b047fb5d64cb4

Oddly enough, that's not quite a problem over here; though it can be in certain sectors. For example, if you study history but you can't find a job teaching, you're going to be looking for a long time.
However, we do have the benefit that university is extremely cheap here compared to other places. For 500-600 euros you've paid your year's tuition, no loans. It's also open to anyone, though naturally if you're a college dropout you might have to make up the difference and few find the time and energy to manage that while already doing the university course.

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Renegade Vile on August 01, 2016, 07:58:31 AM
Oddly enough, that's not quite a problem over here; though it can be in certain sectors. For example, if you study history but you can't find a job teaching, you're going to be looking for a long time.
However, we do have the benefit that university is extremely cheap here compared to other places. For 500-600 euros you've paid your year's tuition, no loans. It's also open to anyone, though naturally if you're a college dropout you might have to make up the difference and few find the time and energy to manage that while already doing the university course.

That's not too bad for university fees at all. I think I was paying 2 or 3 times that (all of which was deferred by the Aussie government), but I went back to my university site recently to see if they offered a post-grad by distance education in visual arts. The closest they have is a regular diploma, but they're so much more expensive than before.

This is what it says for the course (diploma of arts - it's a one year course full-time):
Approximate annual costs for your first year of study in this program are:
Study Mode    Cost
Commonwealth supported    AUD 6256
Domestic full fee paying    AUD 17590

It's generally people who travel from outside the country who pay a larger amount, I think. I've noticed the same with universities over here. They charge more from people if they're from outside the EU.