Towns of Salem ~ OOC Thread

Started by persephone325, January 29, 2016, 01:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

I'm with yugi on this; from the perspective of a mafia player, there seemed to be nothing I could do by the second day. The game was wondering in 3 lynchings, with a zero margin of error.

Does Salem have Villager roles? Yugi raises a good point that when everyone's special, it's very easy to get everyone's confession, kill the ones who hesitate or are duplicates, and win. I didnt wanna say as much earlier since, you know, mafia. It would be less of an issue if the same time pressure as flash ToS were thrre, but the freedom to PM for days at a time felt like our undoing. I hesitated to reply to the only PM I got, and then all of a sudden my team was dropping like flies.

In games like one night, that time pressure is recreated by a hard limit for posts, and I feel that something similar could work here; a limit to he total number of PMs each player can send, perhaps?
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Mintprincess

I think the days were way too long. I had like four days to work with.   I would have preferred 48 hours max.   Not just that but often we had to sit around and wait for someone to vote, which left us doing nothing but thinking. 

It wasn't your hesitation Rpguy.  It was how you answered me.   'Just relax and vote for the Jester' was like. --- if you aren't worried about her then you are with her which means you are mafia.   That was kinda on you :P

Galactic Druid

That's a very toned down version of what I said, I dont believe I'm that obvious.  : (

If I remember, I told you we don't have enough info to make an informed decision  (I was way wrong there, lol), and that Red was playing too obvious to actually be a jester. I think I said try not to overanalyze, she has to be evil.

Either way, that one was on me, but the rest of my team got singled out just as quick. I think this game actually had more mafia deaths than town ones.

Mintprincess

Yes but you are never quite that relaxed about it lol.    I was dead sure she was the  jester.  For awhile I thought Remi was in on your scheme too.  Here was what I said about mafia figure outs. 

Quote from: Mintprincess on March 18, 2016, 04:47:13 PM
Nighty and I teamed up from the start. We had you pegged pretty early.  Even with the PMs helping me a lot, your voting patterns were too obvious and I know I wasn't the only one who thought you weren't playing to your normal unshadiness. 

Basically. You, Missy and MP all votes for myobi as the speaker on the tie break only to kill her.  That was pretty clearly a set-up and we noticed it as soon as I realized Mp was likely the framer. 

Your alliance with Red became pretty clear as well.  She honestly didn't do you any favors with her last minute 'I will help the mafia' and 'I know who they were.'

Your casual way of telling me not to overthink and just vote Red made me very wary of you.  I had already been really clear that I wouldn't vote Red and my push to save someone I believed was a townie was basically blown off on an attempt to get me to vote someone I sure as fuck wasn't going to vote.  I knew she was the jester.  Had she been anything else she would have changed her tune in the rp she and I did. And when she figured out I was never going to vote for her she stopped replying, another clear sign she was exactly who she was.   Which meant, you were likely on her team, and when MP turned out to be the framer, patterned with your votes for speaker, yeah it was known.  The only catch was we thought you were the godfather so we would have to lynch you. And I wasn't certain remy was really the doctor at that point.

Nighty was a good move for you.  I'm impressed on that one.  I don't know if it was obvious we were working together or not but you took out my partner. 

But by then We also knew the roles of nearly everyone in the game. Some people were too obvious with theirs and that helped narrow it down.

I did think MP was a townie up until I received some slam dunk info that I will gladly share once you aren't allowed to share it with your mafia mate anymore <3

Which Nighty already shared how lynching Mp was guaranteed to give us at least one mafia.

Anyway. There were a lot of signs in this one. Don't feel bad about it, but it wasn't just My PMs that brought in the information <3

RedPhoenix

To be fair I had 2/3 of the mafia and all of the town power roles pegged by day one too. It just didn't matter much to me so I had no reason to tell anyone. And that was just based on the thread not any night stuff.

That being Said having night actions with no kill is a huge benefit to the town. So are the pms and long days.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Madame Professor

The time frame for this style was definitely too long in my opinion. And open PMing I think didn't help. Not that it matter for me, I didn't receive a single PM.  :'(

My plan was thrown out the window when we killed Myobi byte Investigator was the only cover I had and she was out Night 1. I think, in the future, not announcing the roles of the deceased would be best for the forums. I understand that's not how the flash game works, however, with the power to PM and roles so clearly defined as they died... It was heavily in the towns favor.

And it didn't matter that we had sided with the Jester at that point. The Lookout spotting me visiting Red was the death sentence when combined with the fact I couldn't claim investigator. The doctor or bodyguard wouldn't have made a lick of sense. I was SOL.
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Mintprincess

For the record, myobi had investigated me <3

My thought was you visited her thinking the investigator would want to, see the framer, and have us all jump on lynching her.   

Madame Professor

Or claim Investigator and rally the troops. I wasn't expecting last long, but I was hoping to take out the wild card and a townie, at least.
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Mintprincess

Yeah that's why Nighty and I decided to be safe and take her out at night.   :P.

Cuz we damn sure knew she wasn't town.

RedPhoenix

Decide to be jerk bullies you mean!!!! :''''''(
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

King Serperior

Quote from: Madame Professor on March 24, 2016, 12:34:34 PM
Or claim Investigator and rally the troops. I wasn't expecting last long, but I was hoping to take out the wild card and a townie, at least.
The only twist in that plan was that I was suspicious of Red, so I watched her that night.   >.>

Luckily for everyone, Minty had to jump through flaming hoops on a unicycle on a tightrope while juggling flaming chainsaws over a pit of vipers before she managed to get me to reveal my role and information.  :P

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Remiel

Okay, I understand now why King Serperior revealed his role--he was in much the same position as me, "Reveal your role or be lynched".

But, NightOwl, why did you trust MintPrincess so easily?

Remiel

Also, I see Yugi's point--in most Mafia games, the whole reason to keep your role secret is that revealing it puts a huge target on your back.  In this game, it seemed like there was no downside to revealing your role--Derwaysh did it early, I did it, and there were basically no consequences.  It seems like the best strategy for the village is to put all your cards on the table straight out of the gate and then figure out who the Mafia are by process of elimination.

This is why you need Villagers--they're a boring role, and nobody likes to be a mere Villager, but they're absolutely essential to give the bad guys a place to hide.

Mintprincess

Quote from: Remiel on March 24, 2016, 01:42:34 PM
Okay, I understand now why King Serperior revealed his role--he was in much the same position as me, "Reveal your role or be lynched".

it was kinda a mutual thing?  I think I told him first actually.   Which automatically put me on his side. Being the vigilante he would have taken me out at night if I picked up the framer role.   :)

But also, framer is the only villain that can be taken.  Odds of an amnesiac joining the mafia are kinda low because of that in my opinion.  It made so much more sense for me to boost team villager and also potentially have more role options.

I also didn't understand why the mafia didn't start claiming the claimed roles.  Had anyone disputed your doctor role we might have let you die (at least until the Mp thing fell on my lap) but no one did and so it was like not worth the risk to lynch you. 

Galactic Druid

My mafia spread is a pretty simple formula; 25/25/50; roughly 1/4 the players are "evil", 1/4 have powers, and half are villagers. You need enough that it's not possible to chart out the obvious kills. Plus, when town powers are rarer, they're more crucial, and people are less willing to speak up so early and easily. If there's over 12, a neutral rile is fine; over 16 and you can run a second faction without destroying the balance.

Yugi said it best, ToS gets away with the additional riles because it doesn't give you enough time to really think about them that much.

I've got to disagree though, Remi; villager can be a very fun role. They're arguably the most important detectives, and sometimes, going from no information at all to deciphering the whole game can be the most fun, and certainly most rewarding to play. Nothing makes you feel smarter than owning it as a villager.

Galactic Druid

Disputing a claimed role works great in One Night, because as the name says, it's one night. In mafia, it's a quick way to get killed on the best turn. If I had claimed doctor, maybe it would have caused a little confusion. I might even get lucky and get Remi killed, but the moment he's revealed as a doctor, I'd be a dead man.

Valerian

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 24, 2016, 02:00:34 PM
Disputing a claimed role works great in One Night, because as the name says, it's one night. In mafia, it's a quick way to get killed on the best turn. If I had claimed doctor, maybe it would have caused a little confusion. I might even get lucky and get Remi killed, but the moment he's revealed as a doctor, I'd be a dead man.
No, that's where PMs come in handy.  Don't dispute the claim publicly; do it quietly, use the smokescreen of rumors you heard, etc.  There are lots of ways to spread doubt on someone else's claim without shining a spotlight on yourself.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Galactic Druid

I can see where you're coming from, Val. I'm not sure how big a difference I could have made this round, as I was caught pretty early, but it's definitely something to keep in mind for future games.

I'm terrible at keeping up with PMs, personally. I guess I'm just disorganized mentally. When a game is happening in multiple fields, I'm terrible at keeping up. Something I really should try and work on, I suppose.

persephone325

I knew this wouldn't go off without a hitch, though. It was kind of like a trial run to see how well it would work on the forums.

I was also quite busy, especially towards the end. Which is why some of the GM posts came a little late. I didn't expect to be so busy, though. However, I do think this ran a little faster than most other mafia games. We started on the 6th, and it just ended today. Most other games I've played felt like they've lasted about a month and a half. But that was my perspective as a player. I think it always seems longer when you're playing.

If I run it again, at a later date, I definitely am going to limit the PMs. Maybe eliminate them all together. And maybe switch out some roles, too.

I felt so bad for KS because he was originally the Mayor. But then I was like "Hang on... That's not going to work because of the way they want to vote." The Mayor's ability is only really helpful for the way the flash game does it. So I messaged him and was like "I'm a stupid idiot and I goofed. Let me make it up to you by letting you pick which of these two roles you'd like to be." lol That was my own dumb fault. I wasn't thinking until we were just about to start. >.<

It was also my first attempt at trying to fluff up the posts, too. Usually I'd just be like "The townspeople awake to find Val dead. She was the Survivor. GO VOTE!" lol
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Remiel

Well, it finished early because Mintprincess the Townies were picture perfect.  They picked off all the Mafia members 1, 2, 3 in a row.

NightOwl35

Quote from: Remiel on March 24, 2016, 01:42:34 PM

OK so about that one. She came to me early one during the spokesperson voting, like before it had tied. I don't remember her exact wording but I remember at one point, she had said something about an Amnesiac and been like "She would..." or something like that. And I jokingly mentioned if she had just told me her role. It took me a bit to full on believe what her claims were, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought "If she is the Amnesiac, the town can use this to their advantage." I then thought that if I worked with her, town could win easily. In my opinion, Mint is better known than I am, and as such I feel more approachable. So combine that with a neutral role, she could "sell" herself to players to get their roles, tell me what they said, and then together we could figure out everything in between.

For awhile I was suspicious of you Remi, which is why I had voted you up at one point. Once you claimed Doctor though I had no choice but to believe you. It was then that we got KS to give out that MP had visited Red. So in my mind the only roles that could visit and not kill at that point were: Doctor, Bodyguard, Investigator (dead), Lookout, and Framer. You had claimed doctor, Der had claimed bodyguard, Myobi the investigator was dead, KS had just admitted to lookout, and that left the framer. So the idea was simple, kill MP then and there and then if she was town, I would kill the liar. If she was mafia, I would kill the jester.

Quote from: persephone325 on March 24, 2016, 02:32:33 PM
I knew this wouldn't go off without a hitch, though. It was kind of like a trial run to see how well it would work on the forums.

I was also quite busy, especially towards the end. Which is why some of the GM posts came a little late. I didn't expect to be so busy, though. However, I do think this ran a little faster than most other mafia games. We started on the 6th, and it just ended today. Most other games I've played felt like they've lasted about a month and a half. But that was my perspective as a player. I think it always seems longer when you're playing.

If I run it again, at a later date, I definitely am going to limit the PMs. Maybe eliminate them all together. And maybe switch out some roles, too.

I felt so bad for KS because he was originally the Mayor. But then I was like "Hang on... That's not going to work because of the way they want to vote." The Mayor's ability is only really helpful for the way the flash game does it. So I messaged him and was like "I'm a stupid idiot and I goofed. Let me make it up to you by letting you pick which of these two roles you'd like to be." lol That was my own dumb fault. I wasn't thinking until we were just about to start. >.<

It was also my first attempt at trying to fluff up the posts, too. Usually I'd just be like "The townspeople awake to find Val dead. She was the Survivor. GO VOTE!" lol

Regardless, I think it was still a fun round, even with all the "issues". I had tons of fun just piecing everything together! I would say the biggest issue to me was how long it felt. I would come on to see if anything updated, get nothing and then it just felt like it dragged on to me. I guess that comes from players not discussing but also the long time in between phases. I think for a trial run though, it went well! :D

Madame Professor

The Mayor could still totally work. They would just state that they want to activate their power and you as the GM would post the Mayor has shown their credentials. Then they would simple count as three people. Or perhaps two, given the way the voting goes. So they would be a confirmed townie.

Though that comes with the risk of being murdered in the middle of the night.

persephone325

Quote from: Remiel on March 24, 2016, 02:51:17 PM
Well, it finished early because Mintprincess the Townies were picture perfect.  They picked off all the Mafia members 1, 2, 3 in a row.

lol I told Mint that she was a force to be reckoned with. XD

Quote from: NightOwl35 on March 24, 2016, 02:51:48 PM
Regardless, I think it was still a fun round, even with all the "issues". I had tons of fun just piecing everything together! I would say the biggest issue to me was how long it felt. I would come on to see if anything updated, get nothing and then it just felt like it dragged on to me. I guess that comes from players not discussing but also the long time in between phases. I think for a trial run though, it went well! :D

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I think the flash game does a better job, though. But then again, it's a computer! :P Haha.

Quote from: Madame Professor on March 24, 2016, 02:54:55 PM
The Mayor could still totally work. They would just state that they want to activate their power and you as the GM would post the Mayor has shown their credentials. Then they would simple count as three people. Or perhaps two, given the way the voting goes. So they would be a confirmed townie.

Though that comes with the risk of being murdered in the middle of the night.

I did think about that, but wasn't sure if it would really work. I think I was more worried about me messing things up with the voting count.

I do remember one time when we played ToS on game night. Remi was the host and we were doing a custom game. Just so happened that I drew the Mayor role. IMMEDIATELY, I revealed myself as Mayor (to get the achievement to reveal yourself as Mayor on the first day. I'm an achievement whore.) and was killed that night. I remember Remi going "Well...That's just... That didn't go the way I wanted it to." XD I think the town still won, though. I was like "Fuck you guys. I got an achievement!"
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

NightOwl35

Quote from: persephone325 on March 24, 2016, 03:46:53 PM
I do remember one time when we played ToS on game night. Remi was the host and we were doing a custom game. Just so happened that I drew the Mayor role. IMMEDIATELY, I revealed myself as Mayor (to get the achievement to reveal yourself as Mayor on the first day. I'm an achievement whore.) and was killed that night. I remember Remi going "Well...That's just... That didn't go the way I wanted it to." XD I think the town still won, though. I was like "Fuck you guys. I got an achievement!"

It's a good strategy if you think there's a bodyguard in the mix! If the bodyguard DOESN'T watch the Mayor, they're doing something wrong! That's like a free bad person kill!

Mintprincess

Quote from: NightOwl35 on March 24, 2016, 03:51:23 PM
It's a good strategy if you think there's a bodyguard in the mix! If the bodyguard DOESN'T watch the Mayor, they're doing something wrong! That's like a free bad person kill!
well I was kinda like a Mayor this game! I mean I am mayor Mintington. And our bodyguard failed me too!