News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Temporarily restricting new memberships?

Started by Vekseid, May 08, 2008, 09:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightBird

Sorry, V, hon. It had to have been during one of my hiatuses, or I'd have had my hand raised. *offers Greenie a high-five* Looks like that's two right now, and maybe, Vekseid, m'dear, you could do something attention-getting to ask for other volunteers? I'll get a thread created... where? In this forum (Bugs and Suggestions)? LMK and I'll kick the project off!

And Golden... I don't think it did at all. ;)

Greenthorn

If nothing else..I am friendly *bats lashes*

And newbies are just so much fun ;D

Elvi

Some of us mentor already, as some of the new members naturally gravitate towards older members who have spoken to them in their introduction threads.

Perhaps we need more of the mature, (as in have been on the site for a while), members to actually speak in the introduction threads?

If we are going to ask people to talk to us in sentences, then perhaps we should stop the current trend of asking the same either or questions which often only gets a one word answer.

OH and actually read what they have put and answer a question if they ask it. Several times I have gone onto a thread where some one has said something in their introduction that answers the following post or has asked a question and the following post has been 'Hello bat or ball'....
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Cherri Tart

*nods* i agree with Elvi - from time to time, i've spent a little time sort of taking an interest in someone new on a whim or intuition or whatever and sort of getting them through the rough spots - i think if everyone took that inititive once in a while, it would be a friendlier place... that said, lately it's been hard with the intros coming so fast and sometimes, i miss being on a day and suddenly there's 8 new faces who are full members that i don't even recognize - i like to be welcoming, but it's hard when you don't even know who is who at times.
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Caeli

Actually, I think a temporary "buddy system" for new members would be really neat. Older members (well, volunteers, as well) can be assigned new members (or new members assigned to volunteers), who they will be instructed to maybe go to them specifically if they have questions or want to know the lay of the land, or something. I suggest this instead of just generally having people available to  mentor, mostly because some might be too shy or a little intimidated to just randomly ask questions or PM somebody, especially if they are new to this community or are new to the arena of adult roleplaying.

There are some who are all right with asking questions, but I would have been among those afraid to PM my questions to a siren, or even to an older member. If there were enough volunteers, or people willing to take on more than one newbie, I think assigning new members to one specific person for a couple of weeks would ease them into E. After a certain established period, we can wish them luck and release them into the fray.

Or something like that. It's just an idea. ^_^;
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Elvi

Yes Cherri, I have been away for a matter of hours and have come on to find some immediately approved, even with a string of unanswered questions under their origional post.

Aelfric

Although one voice among clearly many, the idea (not sure who first forwarded it) of mentoring is very appealing. Having already done so myself, I would have no problem mentoring other new members into the site. If you are looking for a show of hands Vek, please consider mine raised.

You change all the lead sleeping in my head to gold. - Tunnels, Arcade Fire

Hunter

Actually, it sounds like a good idea.  Given we've had people before who weren't actually of the age they originally state, it might be appropriate to have a reduced level of access until new members settle in.

However, I have a few concerns.

It could easily create a caste system (i.e. new members being looked down upon by people who've been here a while.   And there aren't many that have been here as long as I have.  I can probably count on my fingers who's been here as long/longer and still active.)
It will definitely lead to more work by the Sirens and Vekseid (and do you really have the time?).
What standard are you going to establish for volunteer moderators (and how do you plan on choosing them?).

Kalen

Shadowz and I were talking about this influx yesterday, and she had an insanely good idea... she was just shy about suggesting it.  Well.. I'm not shy, so I'll bring it up for her.   In addition to mentoring, what if we add another stage to the application process?  At the end of the list of questions, we list 1-10 scenarios, and ask the applicant to choose one, and write a paragraph or two.

We could even link to prewritten examples, in various styles, of what Elliquiy is and isn't looking for, writing wise.  Is it snobbery?  I hope not.  I would like to think of it more as trying to give applicants a little more guidance.

I think that it would certainly help the Sirens with the application process.  The best writers would sail straight into E... those that need a bit of help, are steered to the Mentors, who will help them shape up their writing a little before they reapply. 

Caeli

Quote from: Hunter on May 09, 2008, 06:03:56 AM
It could easily create a caste system (i.e. new members being looked down upon by people who've been here a while.   And there aren't many that have been here as long as I have.  I can probably count on my fingers who's been here as long/longer and still active.)

This kind of thing will happen everywhere, even if not everyone feels that just because they've been a member longer, that it makes them "better" somehow. It's extremely easy to tell who is and isn't a new member - having the sort of mentoring system Vekseid and others have mentioned here won't change that. That 'caste system' that you mentioned could come into existence regardless of whether or not there was this type of mentoring system or buddy system in place.

Quote from: Kalen on May 09, 2008, 06:11:06 AMWe list 1-10 scenarios, and ask the applicant to choose one, and write a paragraph or two.

We could even link to prewritten examples, in various styles, of what Elliquiy is and isn't looking for, writing wise.  Is it snobbery?  I hope not.  I would like to think of it more as trying to give applicants a little more guidance.

I actually really like this idea - it's similar to my requirements for entrance or admittance into a multi-player roleplay that I GM, that a "writing sample" is given, and I think it REALLY works, in terms of weeding out who is and isn't suitable for a roleplay.

Still, instead of asking them to write a certain amount, I feel that if this idea were implemented, it might be better to ask them to simply respond to a scenario as they normally would to a roleplay, with their usual length and quality. There are some who might simply be more comfortable or enjoy more the writing of a longer post (for example, myself), rather than shorter posts.

However, there is a problem with this. As I've already mentioned, there are a wide variety of post styles - long and detailed, dialogue-heavy, short and simple. I personally don't have a problem with those who prefer the short-response style of posting - but it would be difficult to separate a roleplayer who typically posts with short responses, and one whose writing abilities are not quite on par, but whose abilities are disguised by a shorter-length post. Plus, it might create the rift / stereotype / image that Elliquiy only accepts roleplayers who post a certain length.

And then, this might create the whole other problem of what qualifies as a good post and what does not... or, as in another forum that I frequented several months past, an "advanced literate" post was one that was long, creating the general assumption that if a post was short, then it was automatically not "advanced."

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Elvi

Quote from: Kalen on May 09, 2008, 06:11:06 AM
Shadowz and I were talking about this influx yesterday, and she had an insanely good idea... she was just shy about suggesting it.  Well.. I'm not shy, so I'll bring it up for her.   In addition to mentoring, what if we add another stage to the application process?  At the end of the list of questions, we list 1-10 scenarios, and ask the applicant to choose one, and write a paragraph or two.

I think that it would certainly help the Sirens with the application process.  The best writers would sail straight into E... those that need a bit of help, are steered to the Mentors, who will help them shape up their writing a little before they reapply. 

Unfortunately, good idea that may be, but ...well let me quote from the post of a 13 year old, who managed to get herself on here and fool everyone...

"Jade stared out of a side-hole in the carriage, observing the lush green forest that the carriage passed as it rode along the dirt road. She was about average height, with long brown hair that went from straight to slightly curly near the ends that hung to her mid-back. Her bangs hung over one eye cutely. She had thrown on something quickly. A simple, white gown with asian styling. It was pure white, with slits down the sides that showed off her long, perfect legs. The sleeves were long and extended down to the middle joints of her fingers. All of it had elegant gold trims. Simple, yet it reminded others of her princess status on the Eastern Kingdom. Her skin was smooth as silk and flawless, and although her breasts were smaller than average, Jade made up for it with delicious curves, a flat and toned tummy, and a tight ass. But aside from all this the most prominent feature of Jade's was her neon green eyes that almost seemed to glow."

Having said that, however, I can't really give any solution at all to this problem...*sighs*

Caeli

Quote from: Elvi on May 09, 2008, 06:23:53 AMUnfortunately, good idea that may be, but ...well let me quote from the post of a 13 year old, who managed to get herself on here and fool everyone...

-snip-

Having said that, however, I can't really give any solution at all to this problem...*sighs*

I don't think there is any real solution to preventing pre-18 people from attempting to join Elliquiy, really. But, the requirement for something like a "writing sample" would definitely solve the concern regarding new members (or new potential members) who might give off a red flag because they don't give much of a response in their introductory threads towards questions, or even in their introductory post, despite the fact that elaboration and details are specifically asked for in the RULES thread.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Trieste

I like that idea, Kalen. *nods to Shad* Although Caelie is ight about post-length. Maybe we could ask for some sort of writing sample?

For mentoring, I'd love to help but I don't know if I have the patience to walk someone through whose writing skills are needing work. Explaining things and showing people around the site is one thing, helping out with writing is another. I'm not sure if you're talking about one, the other, or both ... so I'm reserving judgement on the newbie mentoring 'till it's figured whatall it'll entail.

For intro threads, a mix of 'real' questions and silly either/or questions seems to work well, which is why I personally go about it that way. It helps people at least to understand that not everyone treats Elliquiy as Serious Business (tm?) all the time. It's the way it goes.

I guess that'd make my hand sort of hovering somewhere around theback of my head in a position that could be raised or could be feigned off as a stretch...

Added: Damnit! Ninjad again! Curses! *shakes fist and posts anyway*

Captain Maltese

People could get the title 'Newbie' or 'Temp' above their avatar instead of the usual ones. Even if id didn't involve any extra sceening it might make the new ones more on their toes, and after say fifty posts the Mentors could take a look at the output and either say Great Work and here's your permanent membership, or suggest some improvements and let another fifty posts go by before the next consideration.

It's going to be a long while before I stop feeling like a newbie on Elli, either way...

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Elvi

Yes, you're right Caeli and Trieste, there is no sure as hell way of knowing, there never really can be.
Problem is that there are many who have posted intro's and have not done it in the way it was expected or given the full info before they have been accepted.
'We' make the rules and then we don't adhere to them....

*sighs*
I think I'm wandering off track here....

Calico, I hessitate to answer this, as it may be taken as patronising, but I hate the term Newb/noob/newby and wouldn't want to see anyone labelled as such.

Captain Maltese

Ok, it was just a suggestion. I tend to look at the number of posts made to judge how new the players are.

Which didn't help me yesterday as I clicked on a nick I didn't recognise, and who had only made a single post...then I saw the join date was from 2005 ;D

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Caeli

Out of curiosity, who is it that does the accepting? Vekseid, the sirens, or both?

Besides, don't we have something of a label of that sort already, according to number of posts? I believe that little title directly above the colorbar (on Elvi, it reads "Carnite", for myself it reads "Seducer") changes according to post. It's not perfect, but there isn't really a good solution to all of this.

And I don't think it'd be a good idea to have a kind of "halfway" sort of membership. You're either a member or you aren't. It's just be too complicated to have some members "in training" with a different label.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Vekseid

Doing a halfway membership would be a royal pain... sorry, but no thanks : /

Yeah, there's at least one 2005 girl with her single post still lurking about, and a guy too, I think.

Regarding castes, I have a beat stick. Castes started forming awhile back, and Lilac tore that apart, very intentionally. I'm ready to do the same thing if I have to.

As for mentors, mentors would choose based on the needs of the mentee. That would allow us to cut down on the questions (hell, even make them mostly what gender / sexuality of mentor they wanted, if they liked >_>)

Actually, rather than mentor, I think I'd rather call it a buddy system. The idea is mostly to show them around once they've been approved, after all.

Elvi

Quote snipped from the 'and what we want' itnroductory thread....

QuoteFrom this point forward (March 1st, 2008), Elliquiy is going to run on a pseudo-invitation system. This isn't that it's going to be more difficult to get in, rather, instead of me being an increasingly poor judge of things, the other members of the site will determine your admission.

If another approved, non-castrated member decides they like you, they can ask that you be accepted. For the sirens, doing this is actually a part of their job description - we really are quite open, here. Be patient and don't worry overmuch, but feel free to keep our attention.

From what I believe happens, the Sirens 'vote' on whether an applicant is suitable and Vek does the authorising.

I have never looked at a new member and said "They aren't good enough for me because they are new."
There are many new members here that I have enjoyed talking to on their threads and have had PM's from, but they simply do not want to play what I want.
Nothing would stop me from starting a game with a new member if I beleived we were compatible.

So really, I believe that a member is a member, once authorised, whether they have 20 posts or 20,000 and just can't see the point of having new 'tags' for them.  

Hunter

A volunteer buddy system would probably be good.  I've been asked the way around a few times, myself.

As for the rest of Vekseid's post, I'm quite satisfied with what he has in mind.

Caeli

Thanks for the explanation, Elvi. It's a lot more clear how the process of acceptance goes after you clarified it.
And I agree with you on that point, Elvi - a member is a member, regardless of post number or join date.

And I concur on all those points about the buddy system. Perhaps, have a list of volunteers that you (Vekseid) or the sirens have approved to act as buddies, and then assign these older buddies to new members, so they can have someone specific to PM about questions, or to ask about where they should start and how, and so on.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Sherona

Quote from: Vekseid on May 08, 2008, 11:45:49 PM
Yeah, I tried to get one made before but no one wanted to help : (

Make a new thread for it, hopefully you're not the only one who wants to help with it : )

I would be more then willing to help.

Moondazed

I think that a buddy system would be great.  It wouldn't have to include writing help, there are literary threads for that :)  I'd be willing to help show people around, even if my posting rate to my threads has been pretty abysmal lately  ::)
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Cherri Tart

*nods* i wouldn't mind taking someone under my wing now and again - sort of like on scrubs - you could have an intern for  week to sort of show the ropes - it would be a good way of meeting new people and a good way to help them become part of a community and sort of draw everyone together a little more - i think my issue lately - and it's not a huge one, but it's been niggling a little bit, is that i sort of feel like we all getting a little too... well, out of touch with each other here and losing a little of the spirit of E and i think that's mostly because all of a sudden there's all these people running around and i don't know half of them - and one of the things i really liked about being here, was that even those i wasn't super close too, i knew who they were enough to say hello -  now, i even have to ask (when in chat) if someone is actually a member or not about half the time. 
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

MagicalPen

Vek - might it be a good idea to have 'unapproved' members be able to view the other parts of the site and not post in them? Lately, i've noticed them posting game ideas etc before acceptance...and since acceptance isn't always guranteed, it would be ashame for some one (or them) to agree to a game before they're even a member of this site.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games