The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 15, 2015, 07:33:45 PM
You know Ronan and Malcrath or however it is pronounced from Thor the Dark World aren't that much different.....

Seeks to regain the lost glory of their people? Check

Sought an Infinity Stone before succeeded in possessing one before the end of the same movie? Check

Vast evil army they lost by the end of the movie? Check

Giant weird looking carrier-class spaceship that is destroyed the same movie it is introduced? Check

Genocide fanatics that would destroy everything that wasn't part of their species if they didn't die before the end of the movie? CHECK

I think enough sets them apart that it's not a bother, but like I said, I wanted Ronan to be more hardcore fanatic so his religious beliefs could have been shown in more detail than just executing a single Nova Corpsman before actively hunting down the orb. Don't know if I mentioned it before but I had an idea for a scene where Ronan returns to the Kree home world (after having let Gamora go to Xandar to retrieve the orb while he attends to his own affairs) to confront the Prime Minister about his signing the peace treaty with Xandar, which Ronan views as a shameful betrayal and intends to punish the PM and make an example of him. So after he tears the guards apart, he crucifies the PM on his own desk and kicks it out the window of the highest floor in their building, letting it crash in the plaza below for everyone to see. This would mean there would be some chaos on the Kree home world that would prevent them simply attacking Xandar while it's weak since they'll be having their own problems to deal with. They kind of left that unacknowledged since with Xandar having lost so many of its Nova Corps officers and ships, it would have been cake to waltz in there and steal back the Infiniti Gem which everyone seems to know about now.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Yeah I wouldn't really be surprised if Thanos made retrieving the Infinity Stone on Xandar look like a cake walk. With the Collector though...I dunno he's got some kind of Endgame going on there with his own reasons for collecting the stones. Either the Collector wants ultimate power or he's working for a third party either way I'm sure after what happened at his place he's made the effort to relocate the Aether somewhere else if he hasn't already. The Collector doesn't peg me as the type to leave something like that around so careless...then again he did allow his slave girl to grab the Space? Infinity Stone and destroy his home in the cross fire.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 15, 2015, 11:25:11 PM
Yeah I wouldn't really be surprised if Thanos made retrieving the Infinity Stone on Xandar look like a cake walk. With the Collector though...I dunno he's got some kind of Endgame going on there with his own reasons for collecting the stones. Either the Collector wants ultimate power or he's working for a third party either way I'm sure after what happened at his place he's made the effort to relocate the Aether somewhere else if he hasn't already. The Collector doesn't peg me as the type to leave something like that around so careless...then again he did allow his slave girl to grab the Space? Infinity Stone and destroy his home in the cross fire.

Actually the Collector is supposed to be an immortal and is just kind of so bored with his eternal existence that he took to collecting things and it became something of an obsession. He doesn't really care that much about what the power gets him (in the comics, at least) from what I've read, although I could be wrong. He doesn't want them nearly as badly as, say, Thanos, at any rate. For him it's really more like, "Ooh, shiny", and honestly, if he had half an idea of how badly someone like Thanos wanted them, he'd keister those things so fast you'd think he was re-absorbing a kidney stone or something just to prevent them from being found. Knowhere was almost completely defenseless against Ronan's barrage, so if the Collector was really serious about wanting them for any other purpose than to round out his rock collection, the Collector would have been much more discreet and had much better security anyway. In fact that just reinforces the fact that he's kind of lost his zeal for life and so really, what he collects will never last as long as he will (except the stones), so maybe he built his facilities with that in mind, since he's going to lose them eventually anyway, and in infinite terms, even thousands of years is just a drop in a bucket.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Lustful Bride

Is there anything you all are hoping to see in the next movies?

Im crossing my fingers to see Cap say this line, oohh gives me goosebumps!  ;D

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Lustful Bride on April 16, 2015, 04:10:08 PM

Im crossing my fingers to see Cap say this line, oohh gives me goosebumps!  ;D

Yeah, that line really needs to be in there. Though I'll settle for this one if I have to:

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on April 16, 2015, 04:10:08 PM

I really want Falcon to get powers like in the actual comics. Maybe in Civil War it'll happen for real.

CaptainNexus616

Well guess what folks? We now have a "sneak peek" for Dawn of Justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w852aRuN380&feature=player_detailpage

On the bright side we have a glimpse of what the Affleck suit now looks like.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

CuriousEyes

Regarding Guardians of the Galaxy and the comics changing backstories, I could be mistaken as I haven't read actual comics in a long time (despite being an MCU fan)... isn't the idea of different "takes" on a series pretty common in the industry? Such that the idea of multiple universes/alternate realities where characters can be wildly different are hard baked into the core of Marvel?

Isn't that how you get multiple versions of Spiderman running at the same time with slightly different takes, for example?

So if that's the case, are the GOTG comics you're saying hew to the movie's backstory a new "line" that follows the MCU's characterization? IE rather than saying "Issue 201 - everything you know is wrong!" it's more like "Issue 1 of a series set in the MCU continuity!"

If it is a new line I'd be hesitant to call that a retcon, necessarily. Not that you can't dislike the changes to characterization regardless, but just wondering.

TheGlyphstone

The MCU, in fact, is actually a canon alternate universe in the Marvel continuity, I think.

Yeah, Earth-199999.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 16, 2015, 08:03:48 PM
Well guess what folks? We now have a "sneak peek" for Dawn of Justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w852aRuN380&feature=player_detailpage

On the bright side we have a glimpse of what the Affleck suit now looks like.

What a joke. Why even bother with something so vague?

CaptainNexus616

Probably because Star Wars released a trailer earlier today as well and it was a huge hit. Lets face it this couldnt have taken but just 2 hours to quickly put together with what they already have and not counting upload time.

The fact that we are getting close to Age of Ultron coming out and now confirmed success of Daredevil....DC is trying its best to remind people they are still here...

This "sneak peek" also proves just like everythign else they are rushing about to try and give us the fans something and are really just relying on the names...

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 16, 2015, 10:45:32 PM
Probably because Star Wars released a trailer earlier today as well and it was a huge hit. Lets face it this couldnt have taken but just 2 hours to quickly put together with what they already have and not counting upload time.

The fact that we are getting close to Age of Ultron coming out and now confirmed success of Daredevil....DC is trying its best to remind people they are still here...

This "sneak peek" also proves just like everythign else they are rushing about to try and give us the fans something and are really just relying on the names...

But I mean, this is worse than the first Ant-Man trailer. What the hell are they smoking? I'm almost tempted not to allow the real trailer to try and get me into the theater.

CaptainNexus616

TheGlyphstone

DARK and GRIM. Apparently the entire movie takes place in the darkness and rain, or underground.

Though I like the new Batvoice.

CaptainNexus616

Despite it being laced with electronics due to the Super-Bat suit I do have to agree Affleck did deliver the line fairly well.

I haven't really tried to bash Affleck to the best of my ability when he was casted as Batman. Back when Kevin Conroy was casted for the Burton Batman film he was a typecast comedic actor. I cannot tell you how much backlash and mail was sent to Warner Bros. demanding them to not let Conroy be Batman. Heck Bob Kane the man who CREATED Batman to begin with didn't even want Conroy for Bats and despite all that Conroy blew us away with his performance.

Granted Affleck doesn't have the best track record when it comes to films but the brief scenes from this trailer are giving me hope.

TheGlyphstone

See, it's the mechanical bit that I like about it. It sounds synthesized, like a man who's actually trying to conceal his true identity. Much better than just gargling razor blades every night.

SapphireStar

Rumors abound that John Ridley is working on a "Secret" Marvel project for ABC.

There is also rumor of a potential Spider-Girl tv series. Which might be better then a movie. It can be easily marketed, like the Flash. No need to rush a plot, they can take the time to develop the character. Bring in interesting villians. I'd be on board if they brought in J.K. Simmons again as J. Jonah Jameson. Maybe, it might be smarter to go the tv route for Spider-Man too. Lots of crossover potential the the new shows. Spidey has crossed paths with any one of the new characters on the small screen.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 18, 2015, 12:27:51 AM
Well guess what folks? We now finally have a legit trailer for Dawn of Justice!

Now that's more like it. What's the point of the other one, you know?

But...yeah, this didn't really do it for me. Superman is a god-like figure now and people don't know whether to worship or destroy him? It was so much simpler in the old TV show. But at least it's concealing most of the plot points. Marvel's trailers tend to give away way too much lately.

SapphireStar

Apparently, the "creative differences" between MacLaren and Warner over the Wonder Woman movie was how to make the movie. She wanted to do an epic action movie like Braveheart while Warner wanted to do a more less action, character driven movie. Um, Wonder Woman is an action based story? The studio didn't think MacLaren could handle the project because she was a "TV Director" who directed episodes for Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad etc. So after MacLaren quit, they immediately released the name of the replacement, Patty Jenkins, another "TV Director" who directed "The Killing" and the indie movie "Monster".

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 18, 2015, 12:20:09 PM
Apparently, the "creative differences" between MacLaren and Warner over the Wonder Woman movie was how to make the movie. She wanted to do an epic action movie like Braveheart while Warner wanted to do a more less action, character driven movie. Um, Wonder Woman is an action based story? The studio didn't think MacLaren could handle the project because she was a "TV Director" who directed episodes for Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad etc. So after MacLaren quit, they immediately released the name of the replacement, Patty Jenkins, another "TV Director" who directed "The Killing" and the indie movie "Monster".

Here's my question: Why couldn't it be both? Marvel never has a problem doing whatever they set out to do. Freaking WB/DC idiots.

Beorning

Quote from: Mathim on April 18, 2015, 09:25:25 AM
But...yeah, this didn't really do it for me. Superman is a god-like figure now and people don't know whether to worship or destroy him? It was so much simpler in the old TV show. But at least it's concealing most of the plot points. Marvel's trailers tend to give away way too much lately.

I didn't like it, either. It's supposed to be a sort-of Justice League movie, right? Well, when I think of Justice League, I think of epic adventure, heroics, idealism etc. This movie, on the other hand? It seems extremely dark. And Batman sounds absolutely crazy with his "You will bleed" line...

SapphireStar

There was a news article out a while back talking about the Suicide Squad and the possibility of Batman making an appearance. The article was saying that the only person who ever saw the Batman was the Joker and that was why Amanda Waller kept him around. It was mentioned that Batman doesn't go out and fight crime, but uses drones while he stays in the Batcave. Leaves one to think that Waller will do something to draw him out of hiding. Something to the effect of Batman is the key to the rest of them.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 19, 2015, 01:45:17 PM
There was a news article out a while back talking about the Suicide Squad and the possibility of Batman making an appearance. The article was saying that the only person who ever saw the Batman was the Joker and that was why Amanda Waller kept him around. It was mentioned that Batman doesn't go out and fight crime, but uses drones while he stays in the Batcave. Leaves one to think that Waller will do something to draw him out of hiding. Something to the effect of Batman is the key to the rest of them.

That is the shittiest idea for Batman since the Adam West TV show. No wonder they didn't just do a reboot movie if that's all he's going to do.

CaptainNexus616

I can see that if Batman was as old like in the Batman Beyond cartoon but even Affleck himself is not that old. I really hope that Drone part is just a rumor.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 19, 2015, 08:36:07 PM
I can see that if Batman was as old like in the Batman Beyond cartoon but even Affleck himself is not that old. I really hope that Drone part is just a rumor.

It sure makes the whole peak-athletic/ninja type of thing he's got going seem like it would all be for nothing if that is the case. I don't want a tech-reliant Batman, I want the resourceful genius detective with martial arts skills that surprise even the actual superpowered good guys.