News:

Main Menu

Zombie apocalypse now?

Started by Spear80, January 23, 2018, 02:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Well, there you're assuming that they can be starved.  Surviving Z's would just need to keep walking until they got out of the depopulated zone.  Also, you'd have Z's that wander into the area after the bomb has gone off (after all, there won't be anyone to put up 'Danger: Radiation!' signs for the Z's to ignore).  Trudging through fallout probably gives them a bit of a glow right there.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Slywyn

Everyone's still forgetting the fact that almost everyone has at least some exposure to 'zombie culture' so to speak and would know how to defeat them. The moment a confirmed zombie outbreak occurs not a single person would die without the head being destroyed first and gun sales would go through the roof.

Not to mention that 'ground zero' would probably be literally vaporized within days if not hours.

There's just no way that any kind of zombie outbreak, even of the 'the dead -somehow- reanimate no matter how they died and can run REALLY REALLY FAST'(ignoring all of biology that tells us that zombies as a whole are actually impossible) would do more than be a problem for a year at best and more likely a couple of months. (Ignoring the 'everyone who dies for any reason becomes a zombie' sort of weirdness)

The zombie outbreak would be destroyed and contained even if it meant glassing entire countries to save the world.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Andol

Quote from: Slywyn on February 16, 2018, 02:16:14 PM
Everyone's still forgetting the fact that almost everyone has at least some exposure to 'zombie culture' so to speak and would know how to defeat them. The moment a confirmed zombie outbreak occurs not a single person would die without the head being destroyed first and gun sales would go through the roof.

Not to mention that 'ground zero' would probably be literally vaporized within days if not hours.

There's just no way that any kind of zombie outbreak, even of the 'the dead -somehow- reanimate no matter how they died and can run REALLY REALLY FAST'(ignoring all of biology that tells us that zombies as a whole are actually impossible) would do more than be a problem for a year at best and more likely a couple of months. (Ignoring the 'everyone who dies for any reason becomes a zombie' sort of weirdness)

The zombie outbreak would be destroyed and contained even if it meant glassing entire countries to save the world.

I have to admit you are on point with the fact the military would have ground zero vaporized a la The Crazies. Also I don't see the whole anyone being 'infected' becoming a zombie to be weird. I mean if it was spreading like a plague then as long as they didn't die then they would just become another piece of the horde. To me I always thought of zombies as an umbrella (hehehehe Umbrella) term for any zombie-esque horde of mindless humans that infect others and either act with murderous and or cannibalistic tendencies.

Arkaniel

Not to critique this point, but depending on where a plague or virus like this hits, you’d need to blow up half the world to stop it. I’m pretty sure the rest of the world would become inhabitable anyway in that case. For example Europe. Unlike the popular zombie movie shows, here in Europe there isn’t anywhere to run to or hide. Should something like this hit central or Western Europe, especially with airports and the likes involved (depending on the type of virus or plague), by the time the big powers would be able to confirm enough to actually nuke a continent, over eight hundred million people could be infected. Similar would be true for south east Asia and India. Besides, one mustn’t forget that most modern countries aren’t self sufficient. Sure, people can survive, but without international trade, surviving populations would diminish quickly due to starvation.

Mathim

It only takes one to start an outbreak, and you can't guarantee a nuke will take out all of them. Especially if they're not at the epicenter of the blast. Getting hit by the fallout ain't gonna do shit to them, only being vaporized by the flame or smashed against something by the force of the blast will accomplish it, and if they're runners, good luck hitting at just the right spot to get the most of them with one shot if you're trying to minimize the amount of damage you're doing to a place that will have to be rendered uninhabitable by radiation. World War Z even pointed out how non-nuclear arsenals of big explosives weren't very effective so going smaller-scale won't get the job done either. But guaranteed they're going to try that before they try nukes. Stupid as politicians are, they're not THAT stupid.

Also no one's taking into account all the idiots who are going to be desperate to save their loved ones who've suffered a bite despite there being no hope of a cure at that point, or who will be too emotionally compromised to put them down even after they turn, not to mention all the fundamentalist assholes who'll think it's a sign from god and do everything they can to sabotage the efforts of people trying to solve the problem.

Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Andol

Hey Mathim, I am curious just because of personal lack of knowledge. Could you point me to a zombie outbreak story where there was an arc about fundamentalist sabotaging things?  I mean I know that hysteria will cause plenty of people to go crazy and start trying to do irrational things to stop the "Plague". May even start there own cult and start killing people just cure it and stuff... but I am trying to put my finger down an arc in a zombie story where this happens. 

Oniya

Wasn't there something like that in The Stand?  Admittedly, that was about a 'superflu', not a zombie apocalypse, but I vaguely remember something about a cult springing up in the wake of the Plague.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Andol

I would hardly call what they did in "The Stand" a cult, more like a dictatorship with a big time cult of personality in Randal Flag, but not anything that I would think of when I hear the word cult. 

Oniya

*shrug*  It's been a long time since I've read it.