News:

Main Menu

Miniature painting

Started by Beorning, August 12, 2015, 05:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhi

TheLaughingOne

My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Dhi

I got the sale list while the site was up for half a second, here's what is on sale for Dust:

Arkham Horror:
Just a lot of prepainted minis, LCG sets, and art mats.

Shadows of Brimstone:
Only Dark Stone Brutes enemy pack.

Hob

Anyone here use Heroforge or have thoughts on their quality? Or have minis printed by Impact! Miniatures? I’m thinking of having some do e, but th cost of their premium plastic is pretty high!

TheLaughingOne

I got a heroforge figure way back, and pretty good quality, takes a bit of scrubbing and cleaning before can paint it proper, but holds up well.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Hob

If I may, which material did you get it in? The grey/white plastic or the black premium plastic?

TheLaughingOne

eehh... They got different materials then when i got it, but id say it would be closest to the regular white/grey plastic.
My Ons and Offs!

Hob

Danke!  I've been debating whether to order directly from Heroforge or if to just buy the files and then have Impact Miniatures print them for me.

Pockets

@Justric Get the file from Heroforge and send it to Impact! Miniatures. The stuff that Heroforge uses now isn't worth the money you're paying. At least with Impact! you'll get a quality print with a better quality plastic.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Beorning

Hey guys!

I have a request: does any of you own any of these Warhammer models?

• Morathi - the winged monstrous form
  • Spirit of Durthu from the Sylvaneth army
  • any version of Skaven Verminlord

If so, could I ask you to measure these models for me? I need their size (all three dimensions), as I'm wondering whether they'll fit into my current mini-carrying case, or if I need to invest in something bigger...

Pockets

Beorning, you can e-mail GW Customer Support and ask that, they'll be able to give you complete dimensions of any properly built model in their range.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Beorning

Wut? Really??? Now, that's an interesting thing to know. Thanks :)

Pockets

Contrary to popular belief, GW has pretty good customer service. They might take a day or two to reply to your e-mail but they'll get back to you. As long as it ISN'T a Rules question. You'll get a preformated letter basically telling you to keep an eye out on the FAQ's and the Chapter Approved books.

You can also get digital instruction manuals for assembly of any model in their range, including kits that may have been discontinued. Such as the Start Collecting! Greenskinz box.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Beorning

Hmmmm. So, I actually e-mailed GW's customer service and asked them about the sizes of the models. And I received a reply!

... they replied they don't have this information and advised me to measure the models myself  :P

Pockets

That's BS. It just means that whoever answered your e-mail didn't want to dig up the numbers. Give me a bit and I'll see if I can't find those numbers for you.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Pockets

So the giant morathi has the following measurements without the special base.  6.5" tall, 9 inch wide, 4 inch deep.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Beorning

Thanks! Much appreciated. Would you able to find the measurements for the other models I mentioned?

Dyphus101

I have a Spirit of Durthu Model, don't have access to it right now, but I can get the dimensions of it sometime in the next couple days.
Would you go over your carrying method? I have an entire Sylvaneth and transportation is a pain. So many tiny things that catch on everything and break.

Beorning

What's your method for transportation - foam case or something similar?

Personally, I prefer the magnetic storage - A-Case, specifically. I have bought one such bag last year and it's really great. You don't have to cut foam, use different bags for miniatures of different sizes - you just glue the magnets under the bases and you can fit the minis onto the bag's trays in any configuration you like. They really do stay in place in transit! And the bag itself is quite handy.

The one limitation is that the standard A-Case is about 25 x 25 x 15 or so. Hence, I'm inquiring about the sizes for the bigger models I own. There's currently a Kickstarter for new edition of A-Cases, one that includes bigger case models. I might be picking one up...

Dyphus101

Oh that's neat.
I have heard of A-Case, but never seen or used one before.
I actually built my own carrying case for them, well, in the process of it.
A simple wooden box with a plexiglass side in front, and slots inside to put Metal baking sheets in it. So I use magnets and never have to worry about foam breaking bits off.
For other armies where I am not too worried about it, I have a typical hard foam case.

I should be able to swing by my storage unit (parent's garage) and take a look-see at it. So I can get you the dimensions tomorrow!

Beorning

Thanks! I'd really appreciate it.

As for A-Case - yeah, it's true, you can build something like this yourself. Also, with magnetic storage, sometimes a metal tea box is enough :) That said, I couldn't build anything on my own, hence I use A-Case :)

If you're curious, here's the link to the latest KS:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/armycase/a-case-hybrid

Coming back to measurements - here are two more models I'm curious about:

• Stormcast Eternal's Celestant-Prime
  • Nurgle's Great Unclean One

I don't own them, but might want to one day...

Dyphus101

Okay, the Spirit of Durthu.
16cm Tall
10cm long
5 cm wide
Sword juts out about another 3 cm.

For inches!
6.2' Tall
4' long
2' wide
Sword juts out 1/2'

CyrodilicBrandy

I bought a Heroforge mini when I got my tax rebate last year, in plastic. She had a few defects when I got her, so they sent a replacement, but I thought I might use the first one as practice for mini painting.
I have a few 'Bones' minis, the reasonably cheap ones (£2.50 for a mini) which I bought for my Dragon Age game, since there are NO Qunari minis, I had to buy a Bugbear and paint it as if it was wearing Qun vitaar. I'm not very good at all though.

Pockets

CyrodilicBrandy, take the time to go jump onto twitch.tv/slowfusegaming on Thursday Evenings about 7 pm EST. This man is probably one of the best teachers on Twitch and he has so much to teach you. You really can't go wrong staying up to ask him some quests or even watching his VOD's.
08/02 - New A/A Update